A SQUARE BY SQUARE LOOK AT LONDON
TQ 31 56 a rural area with some scattered housing
The London/Surrey/Croydon boundary comes down the eastern edge of Broad Wood and then turns west to cut across it and Piles Wood
TQ 31556 55140
Post to the west Chaldon
Post to the north Happy Valley
Sites on the Surrey, Tandridge side of the border
Glebe House, care home. 1760. It was the rectory until 1926. Extensions both modern and Victorian. Mathematical tiles covered by rendering. Some medieval timbers inside but most of the panelling is Victorian.
Modern garages on the site of what was the Rectory barn.
Glebe cottage – is said to include buildings of Rectory Farm.
Rectory Cottage used today as Parish Room. 1877.
Chinawan previously called Greenshawes timber clad house.
The Rookery with date plaque 1825 TET for Sir Thomas Tomkins. Maybe has medieval cellars. 19th with stucco walls
Fryern Broom Wood
Village Hall Legrew Memorial Hall. Built after the First World War and there is a memorial stone to the Legrew family, who were the rectors of Chaldon and Caterham. The stone used to be by Didges Pond and was brought here when that was filled in.
Goswell Cottage. 19th with diamond pane windows
School 1871 now a house
Rook Cottage with thatched roof and exposed timber framing from late 16th . It was originally wattle and daub, replaced with Merstham stone.
Rook farm – 18th flint house. Flint wall.
Barn. Timber framed and thatched. 17th using medieval timbers.
Chaldon Mead. Was previously New Farm and used as an annexe to St.Lawrence’s Hospital. It was once part of Fryern Farm.
The Gables 19th house with diamond panes. Didges pond used to be behind the Gables
Sources Bourne Society. Web site
Chaldon Village Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Pevsner and Cherry. Sussex