Sunday, 27 September 2009

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Stanwell

TQ 75 04
The London, Hillingdon/Spelthorne boundary continues on Southern Perimeter Road to the junction with A313, Airport Way, and continues on that road

The Duke of Northumberland's River flows south and east following the Perimenter Road
The Longford River flows south and east following the Perimenter Road

Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the boundary

Post to the north Stanwellmoor
Post to the east Stanwell
Post to the west Stanwellmoor

Haws Lane
Mission
Pumping Station

Hithermoor Lane
Calcutts Farm
The Croft. 17th front and unadorned Georgian front. Inside a queen post roof with refused timbers.
Old Oak Cottage. 17th with 20th pastiche. Timber-framed and rendered with Close studding on the front.

Horton Road
Southern Farm, once known as Merrick’s Farm and one of the manorial holdings.
South of the road in the farm area are Crop marks and a large ring ditch.
Nurseries
Stanwell Place. This was a Georgian House which replaced an earlier manor. It had an imposing entrance outside the village which is all that remains. There was a manor-house here by the 14th. Where the Windsor lords of the manor lived. James I's daughter Mary died there while under Lord Knyvett's care. Later, except in the early 20th when it was used as a golf club, from the 18th it was occupied by its owners and some earlier outbuildings remained while the house was rebuilt. The park was laid out in the 18th century. In 1920 the house and grounds were bought by Sir John Gibson who sold it to King Feisal of Iraq in 1948 and he kept it until his assassination in 1954. It was then demolished. It is now a mineral extraction site called Stanwell Quarry owned by Cemex Part of which has been extracted and restored, and on the rest extraction is still ongoing. The clock tower from the house is in Cronulla Plaza, Australia, given to that town by Caltex Refinery Co. Pty Ltd. It is now the oldest public clock in Australia, built by John Jullion. There were some ancient plane trees in the grounds

Thornbank Close
Crop marks: plus a rectangular enclosure and ring ditch, north-west of here.

This site has been compiled from material gathered over many years and from many different sources.

Sources
Walford. Village London
Pevsner.  Surrey

 

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Stanwell

TQ 054 750
The London, Hillingdon/Spelthorne boundary carries on Westwards along Bedfont Road and then continues on Southern Perimeter Road.

The Duke of Northumberland's River flows east following the Perimeter Road
The Longford River flows east following the Perimeter Road

Post to the west Stanwellmoor
Post to the east Cargo Terminal

Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the boundary

Duke of Northumberland's River
This section was built during the reign of Henry VIII by John Gates after the dissolution of the Monastery at Syon. It was to augment the water supply to mills and allow new ones to be built, thus providing a source of revenue for the Duke of Northumberland. It takes water fro
m the Colne and flows through this stretch alongside the Longford River. Both have been diverted in association with the construction of Terminal Five but skirts the western and southern perimeter of the airport.

High Street
St. Mary’s church. Dates from the 12th but the current building is 15th. There is a 15th bell tower with a later shingled spire but basically of chequered stone and flint, and a crenellated parapet. Early 14th chancel. The church was restored by Teulon in 1862 and 1903. The roof is supported on posts resting on carved corbels - kings, queens and angels. Monument by Nicholas Stone to Lord and Lady Knyvett, who arrested Guy Fawkes – it has the couple kneeling. Brass to Richard of Thorp 1408. Memorial to Jane Hartley d. 1795.
Churchyard: Charles Rowles stone Chest tomb 1868 with ornamented sides and a plinth; vault from early.19th with a Stone chest tomb with barrels with carved ends – internee not known; stone chest tomb of Francis Paterson 1838 on a plinth; tomb of Henry Bullock 1762 a Portland stone altar with cherubs and scrolls; tomb of John Hodges 1799 altar tomb with panels an illegible Inscription which refers to his wife’s previous husband.
13 Early to mid 19th. Rendered brick with a half-glazed door and h wooden lattice porch with a cast iron knocker. Listed.
25 Brook Cottage 1720. The left hand bay is slightly later. It is red brick with a parapet front and a Slate roof with 2 chimneys - the right hand one is stepped with tumbling-in. At the back is a trellis work porch. There is a mid 19th boundary wall and cast iron railings
29 Windsor Cottage. Early-mid 19th of brick; tiled roof. The forecourt wall is 20th brick with re-used gate pier caps inscribed “Windsor Cottage”. Listed and the site of a pub called ‘the Horns’
38 Coachman’s Cottage. 18th converted coach house in red brick. There is a cast iron pump near the door. Brick wall around it probably 18th but it is 7 feet high and 25 yards long
40 Dunmore House 1719. Brick with gauged brick arches to the windows. Central panel door with pillars and hood. The forecourt wall is 20th with tall gate-piers and a wrought iron overthrow to the gates. Listed
40b early 19th addition to Dunmore House with which it joins. Brick with tiled roof. Listed.
42 Vicarage Late 18th red brick. Listed
46
2 storey extension to 48. Listed
48 late 18th and early 19th roughcast with a tiled catslide roof. 20th shopfront.
56 Old Farm. Early 19th pebbledash and side chimneys joined by arches. There is a two storey wing at the back with a pair of chimneys joined by an arch. This wing is linked by a covered passage to a detached 2 storey building which was perhaps a dairy with cheese room over it.
110 -112 Lord Knyvet‘s School house. founded 1624 as the Knyvet Foundation Free School. The School house and the master’s quarters are combined. It is built of Brick with a pitched roof. The master's half has a doorway with two windows and the schoolroom is single storey also with a doorway with a coat of arms with and a text. It was altered and enlarged in the 19th. Sun Fire insurance mark outside and an original staircase inside.
Milestone. 18th but recut. It says “Dated ‘MS 1833’. And on the main face “London 15 miles” in 20th lettering. Inscription on the east face is illegible.
The Swan. Late 18th. Listed


Longford River
The waterway was constructed in 1638 at the instigation of Charles I in order to increase the water supply to Hampton Court and allow water features to be developed. It had a variety of names - the New River, the King's River, the Queen's River, the Cardinal's River, the Hampton Court Cut, and the Hampton Court Canal. In this section it runs parallel with the Duke of Northumberland’s River.

Oaks Road
This was Perry Oaks Lane, going to Perry Oaks Farm which is now under the airport.
Recreation Ground
34 Perry Green. 16th and 17th with alterations. Timber frame with painted brick infill. 20th wooden casement windows. This was originally three cottages, the central one being the oldest 17th part.
Chapel. From 1810. Used as a garage in the 1950s.
Rising Sun. This has two Friary Meux board signs with their 'horseshoe' logo above the pub sign. on the wall are two brewery plaques.
7 Cheyne Cottage. Mid 19th with picturesque glazing. Painted brick exterior.

Park Road
War Memorial – very prominent at the central crossroads
Cricket Ground
Gates are that remains of Stanwell Place. Between decorated ashlar gate posts are ornate gates of Wrought iron with arrow head dog-rails and fleur-de-lys and panels with scroll-work which were commissioned by Sir John Gibbons in 1760 but it is possible they are Edwardian copies. The bend in Park Road at the main gate was due to the diversion of the road by Sir John Gibbons in the 18th.
Wheatsheaf Inn. This is one site with the two cottages. Early 19th of rendered brick. Listed
1-2 Wheatsheaf Cottages

Riverside Road
Arundel House. Early 19th brick building with frontages to Bedfont Road and Riverside Roads. Brick wall on Riverside Road. Known locally as the Old Police House, it was once the police house for the Bow Street Runners who worked on Hounslow Heath

Spout Lane
A cut off section of a road which once went through to Stanwell Moor and Spout Moor.

Stanwell
Stanwell probably means ‘stone well’ but locally it is thought to come from ‘St.Anne’s Well’ – which is in Town Lane.
Moated enclosure 500 yards North of Church. This can be seen on maps.
'Stanwell Perpetual Rose. Apparently ‘discovered’ growing in a Stanwell garden in the early 19th but then marketed by a local nurseryman, Mr. Lee. It flowers late in the year with fragrant, semi-double, shell-pink flowers supported by dark grey-green foliage and is a hybrid derived Rosa pimpinellifolia, the Burnet or the Scotch rose.
Stanwell Cursus - a pair of Neolithic ditches which goes from Stanwell for 4 km and has been excavated in some parts. The site of its origin in Stanwell is not clear.

Stanwell Green
Centre of the village and most of the old houses centre round it.

This site has been compiled over many years and from many different sources

Sources
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Middlesex Churches
Pevsner. Surrey,
Stevenson. Middlesex
Walford. Village London

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Heathrow Cargo Terminal

TQ 75 06
The London, Hillingdon/Spelthorne boundary continues westwards along Bedfont Road

The Duke of Northumberland's River flows eastwards along the line of the Perimeter Road
The Longford River River flows eastwards along the line of the Perimeter Road

Post to the west Stanwell
Post to the east Terminal Four


Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the boundary

Bedfont Road
48 Beresford House. Mid 18th of painted brick and sash windows with 19th glass .Listed
Stanwell Farmhouse. Late 18th and early 19th two storey house, roughcast. Listed.

Duke of Northumberland's River
This section was built during the reign of Henry VIII by John Gates after the dissolution of the Monastery at Syon. It was to augment the water supply to mills and allow new ones to be built, thus providing a source of revenue for the Duke of Northumberland. It takes water from the Colne and flows through this stretch alongside the Longford River. Both have been diverted in association with the construction of Terminal Five but skirts the western and southern perimeter of the airport.

Longford River
The waterway was constructed in 1638 at the instigation of Charles I in order to increase the water supply to Hampton Court and allow water features to be developed. It had a variety of names - the New River, the King's River, the Queen's River, the Cardinal's River, the Hampton Court Cut, and the Hampton Court Canal. In this section it runs parallel with the Duke of Northumberland’s River.

Southern Perimeter Road
Cargo Terminal. Built in 1969 near the southern runway.

Sources
Pevsner, Surrey

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Heathrow Terminal 4

TQ 07 75
The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary runs north to the Bedfont Road where it meets the boundary with Hillingdon. The Spelthorne/Hillingdon boundary turns west along Bedfont Road.

The Duke of Northumberland's River flows eastwards along the line of the Perimeter Road
The Longford River River flows eastwards along the line of the Perimeter Road

Post to the west Cargo Terminal
Post to the south West Bedfont
Post to the east East Bedfont

Sites on the London, Hounslow side of the border

Beacon Road.
Heathrow Animal Reception Centre. This is part of the Veterinary Sector of the City of London’s Environmental Services Directorate and has is a world leader in the care of animals during transport. It is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year receiving and caring for literally millions of animals of all types – including everything from tarantulas, cobras, race horses, tigers, cattle, cats and dogs and even baby elephants – the HARC has the facilities to cope with almost any animal.

Mentone Farm. Used by HGVs

Scylla Road
Terminal Four. Terminal 4 opened 14th April 1986. 11 airlines are based there but predominantly British Airways and KLM. It handles about 14.2 million passengers annually... flights are going to long-haul and European destinations. It also inaugurated the total separation of departing and arriving passengers.Terminal 4 Piccadilly Line Station on a four mile loop from Hatton Cross and Heathrow Terminals... Opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales on 12th April 1986 it has only one platform. Terminal of Heathrow Express from the Paddington Line opened 1998.


Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the border

Bedfont Road

Heathrow Cargo Tunnel.
a road tunnel built in the late 1960s to connect Terminals 1, 2 and 3 to the cargo terinal. it is used only by vehicles with security clearance and now used for both cargo transfer of passengers to and from Terminal 4. it has one bore, carrying one lane in each direction.Consulting Engineer was Sir William Halcrow and it was built by Taylor Woodrow.

Duke of Northumberland's River
This section was built during the reign of Henry VIII by John Gates after the dissolution of the Monastery at Syon. It was to augment the water supply to mills and allow new ones to be built, thus providing a source of revenue for the Duke of Northumberland. It takes water from the Colne and flows through this stretch alongside the Longford River. Both have been diverted in association with the construction of Terminal Five but skirts the western and southern perimeter of the airport.


Longford River
The waterway was constructed in 1638 at the instigation of Charles I in order to increase the water supply to Hampton Court and allow water features to be developed. It had a variety of names - the New River, the King's River, the Queen's River, the Cardinal's River, the Hampton Court Cut, and the Hampton Court Canal. In this section it runs parallel with the Duke of Northumberland’s River.

Sources
GLIAS Newsletter
Stevenson. Middleses
Walford, Village London

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - West Bedfont

TQ 07 74
The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary runs across Staines Road, east of Homer’s Farm, and continues north, west of the Esso Depot. Turning, east and then north again towards Bedfont Road

Post to the north Terminal Four
Post to the south Bedfont Lakes

Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the boundary

Bedfont Road
Esso West London Terminal

West Bedfont Held in the Domesday Book by Walter Fitz Other


Sites on the London, Hounslow side of the boundary

Clockhouse Lane
Oakdene

Staines Road
Bennett's Farm 1700. Harchett. .
776 Orchard Café popular with lorry drivers and locals for many years. old rotating ceiling fans and on the walls framed, signed photos of TV stars who have eaten there, certificates of excellence and photographs of the BBC film crew's visit of 1993 and old-style fruit and pinball machines
Royal Oak - demolished
Homers Farm

Saturday, 26 September 2009

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Bedfont Lakes

The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary runs south west on the railway line, crossing Clockhouse Lane. And then turns north to thread between the lakes, and travel north up Harrow Road
TQ 07538 72325

Worked out gravel pit now used as leisure areas - fishing and nature walks. The area is intersected by the main line railway to Staines.  This is in the hinterland of Heathrow Airport and although there appear to be leafy lanes there are huge depots here.


Post to the north West Bedfont
Post to the east Bedfont Lakes


Sites on the London,Hounslow side of the border

Ascot Road
Business centre with Airfreight and AirCargo service centres.

Bedfont Lakes
Gravel pits and before that market gardens. Many locations to the east of this.
Nature Reserve. In November 2000 Bedfont Lakes Country Park gained Local Nature Reserve status and was designated as a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation (of Metropolitan Importance) . There are over 390 species of plants which those in include: Wet Willow Woodland, Lowland Dry Neutral Grassland, Water Bodies, Reedbed/fen, and Scrub. there is also a good variety of Fungi and Lichen By 2008 156 species of birds had been recorded. Mammals include Foxes, Rabbits, Stoats, Bats, Field and Bank Voles and Wood Mice. A Common Lizard was seen in 1997 and in 2008 two juvenile Grass Snakes were found along the Railway Line path grasslands. Amphibians included frogs and toads, newts. Fish include Pike, Tench, Common and Mirror Carp, Perch, Bream, Roach and Rudd, and Stickleback. There is a long stretch of bare earth bank which provides a habitat for mining bees and solitary wasps.
Ephemeral ponds along the railway line are particularly important for wildlife, including amphibians.
Fishing Lake. The Fishing Lake is managed by The Barnes and Mortlake Angling and Preservation Society. It is also known as Clockhouse Pool
New Lake
North Lake – there was a small quarry adjacent to Clockhouse Lane. The only remaining feature of this extraction site is Finger Island next to Black Hide, which formed the southern boundary. It was later turned into a fish pond. North Lake is the largest of the lakes and Pike grow very large. Birds to hunt fish underwater including; Cormorant, Smew, and Great Crested Grebe.

Clockhouse Lane
Bridge Farm, St.George’s Nursery
Bedfont Lakes Visitors Centre


Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the border

Road off to Ashford Smallholdings Estate
Princes Water Ski Club.


Sources
Barnes and Mortlake Angling and Preservation Society. Web site
Bedfont Lakes. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
Smythe. City Wildspace

The London/Buckinghamshire boundry. Bedfont Lakes

The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary runs due north to the railway line which it follows going south west
TQ 08276 72553

Bedfont Lskes are  a seres of worked out gravel pits, here turned into leisure areas - sports, fishing snf nature walks with some attractions added.  This is in the hinterland of Heathrow Airport and there are a number of big shed depots, along with haulage and some landfill and extraction.  In the south east corner of the square is the old Borstal - now Feltham Young Offenders Institition.

Post to the west Bedfont Lakes
Post to the south Ashford

Sites on the London,Hounslow side of the boundary

Bedfont Lakes
Gravel pits and before that market gardens. The land belonged to the Duke of St. Albans and was known as Fawn’s Manor Farm and in 1780 it was bought by William Sherborn. This was an area of arable farming and in 1897 the area, now the south side of the park, became Sherborn’s Orchard. As a result there are some apple and pear trees in the area. Gravel extraction on site took place from the 1860s. Until the 1950s the site was worked for sand and gravel extraction and then the abandoned workings were used as a landfill site which ended in 1973, leaving a legacy of polluted lakes, derelict buildings, and abandoned machinery. In 1988 the Borough of Hounslow granted planning permission for the industrial development and stipulated that the developers create the Country Park. A system had to be installed to drain off contaminated groundwater. Vents were installed to allow methane to be released into the atmosphere. Bedfont Lakes Country Park opened in July 1995 and was the second largest open space to be created in London in the 20th century.

South side. Not open to the public. Includes Chattern Lake and the Chattern Community Orchard
Orchard – this is a traditional orchard. In the 1800s c.40% of the London Borough of Hounslow was covered by orchards. Today only three conservation orchards left in the borough covering a couple of hectares. This Orchard is a restored around several mature trees, and has been extended with young, traditionally grown local varieties such as Annie Elizabeth, Pinner Seedling, and Catshead.

Chattern Lane – is run as a scuba diving lake by a local diving organisation.

North side – in three parts., Motte Lake, North Lake, North Arena, millennium monolith, , Monolith Hill. Other things in the western section.
Monolith Hill. Highest Point in the Borough of Hounslow and includes the Millennium monolith which gives directi9ns to points of interest. The hill was formed from soil and landfill when the park was remediated. They were then seeded with a native wildflower mix and areas of trees were planted

Challenge Road
Bedfont Industrial Parks

Bedfont Road
Feltham Young Offenders Institution. Open 1859.  The original Feltham was built in 1854 as Middlesex County Industrial School and was taken over in 1910 by the Prison Commissioners as their second Borstal institution. It took about twenty "patients,” who undertook laundry and needlework. Adjoining, and under the same management, was the Middlesex Industrial School for Girls. The existing building opened as a Remand Centre in March 1988. The current HM Prison and Young Offender Institution Feltham were formed by the amalgamation of Ashford Remand Centre and Feltham Borstal in 1990/91.


Sources

Sources
Bedfont Lakes. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
Ministry of Justice. Wen sote
Smythe. City Wildspace

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Ashford

TQ 08 72
The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary runs due west to cut across the northern end of Newhaven Close. At Beaumont Drive it turns north until it reaches Feltham Road and on the corner of Challenge Road turns west to skirt the northern ends of Anderson, Dykes, Fernhurst and Chattern Roads. It then turns north again.

Area of 19th and early 20th century housing with lots of open space and sports clubs.  This is a depressing area full of prisons


Post to the north Bedfont Lakes
Post to the east Felthamhill


Sites on the London,Hounslow side of the boundary

Ashford Road
Name changes to Feltham Road at the border
Recreation ground

Challenge Road
Industrial Estates

Chattern Hill
Piggeries. This is on the Ashford Smallholdings Estate

Field View
Feltham Prison Officers Social Club – burnt down and closed. Boot sale for the fittings.

The Clumps

Shield Road
Ashford Business Centre.


Sites on the Buckinghamshire,Spelthorne side of the boundary

Chattern Road
Recreation ground used by Middlesex United Football club, the Spitfires.
Travellers sites

Feltham Road
Name changes to Ashford Road at the border

Sources
Ashford Community Association. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
National Archives. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Walford.  Village London

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Feltham

TQ 09 72
The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary runs south west from Grovely Road to the northern edge of Meadhurst Sports Club Ground and then turns south down Chertsey Road. Before the junction, at the southern edge of the playing field it turns due west

Post to the west Ashford
Post to the east Felthamhill

Sites on the London, Hounslow side of the boundary

Chertsey Road
Poplar Farm

Laboratories – part of Sunbury Research Park
Open space – The Greenhams. Lower Feltham Rough. landfill on green belt land. There has been gravel extraction here since the 1850s but much of it used for land fill since the 1950s. There is some grazing as well as fishing. Some parts of the site are used by the haulage industry, and others.
Greenham’s Pit. Fishery
Greenham Construction Materials Co. assortment of buildings including a headquarters building. Since become housing. The company dated from the 1940s and was part of Taylor Woodrow, who have since disposed of it.
Meadhurst Sports Club –very wide range of activities


Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the boundary

Groveley Road
Recreation Ground. Spelthorne Council sports and other activities

Material has been gathered from many sources and over many years

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Feltham

TQ72 10
The London/Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary continues along the Feltham Hill Brook and then goes due north, zig zagging to meet Grovely Road and turn west.

Post to the west Felthamhill
Post to the south Kempton Park

The London, Hounslow side of the boundary

Felthambrook Way
Industrial Estates
Moat – remains of the moat connected with the palace in Hanworth Park. The original moat was roughly square in shape and would have covered a much larger area. It is thought it could have been a connected to the Saxon village of Hanworth which stood within the moat for the defence of the community during the Danish occupation. It is also thought that it could have surrounded a Danish or Saxon Castle.
Feltham Brook

Snakey Lane
Was previously Feltham Hill Road.
Open Space. Feltham Hill Carr used for horse grazing. The field has hawthorn and blackthorn and some elderly willows. There are also many thistles. There is some willow woodland with elder, hawthorn and bramble.
Nursery garden
Rugby Ground. Staines Rugby Club. Formed in Staines and then In November 1962, the Club moved here to 10 acres of land on a filled-in gravel pit. In October 1987 the hurricane uprooted 16 poplar trees and 6 smashed through the Clubhouse wrecking changing rooms, the main function room, but, miraculously leaving the two bars. As a result the club now has a brand new Clubhouse with gymnasium, and much function amenities.
Snakey Lane Allotments Association. Have a compost toilet which you need to be trained to use.
Croft Farm –wildflower grassland.


Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the boundary

Groveley Road
Keynington Recreation Ground. Women’s sports focus and lots of vandalism

Material has been gathered over many years and from many sources

The London/Buckinghamshire border - Kempton Park

TQ 71 10
The Spelthorne/London boundary goes north west across the railway and the M3. It turns north to skirt the eastern edge of the filter beds and cross the Staines Reservoirs Aqueduct it then goes in a curving line north west along the Feltham Hill Brook.

Post to the north Felthamhill
Post to the east Kempton Park



Sites on the Buckinghamshire/Spelthorne side of the border

Hanworth Road
Cantrell and Cochrane became part of Coco Cola. 19th mineral water manufacture
236 Cross Lances. Dark-red tiled Victorian local, with an extended saloon giving wheelchair access from the award-winning garden.
Hanworth Water Works. For the East London Water Co. 1890 5m gall reservoir, six filter beds. 5 acres. Wells, etc. four engines 620 hp, 19 miles to Finsbury Park, chimney of 250' height. Plan to build a theme park. Refused permission but still the idea about. Some ducks but not many, they don't like it
Pumping Station

Kempton Park Racetrack
Paddock
Grandstand.From the first floor are views of the course and the Winning Post, a balcony overlooks the Parade Ring and the Winners Enclosure. The area also allows access to all other racecourse facilities. Restaurants, food hall, bars.

Park Road
Kempton Park Station. Between Hampton and Sunbury on South Western Trains. In 1878 a platform was built south of the line near the grandstand. It was only open for the racecourse. The racecourse directors eventually paid half. Only used by members and race trains. A second platform was built in 1879. In 1890 it was rebuilt with a long footbridge and a covered way to the racecourse. It had an extra long down platform for Members’ Only Specials. The public could use it after 1890 that but only to go on race days and the only exits were through the race course. It was further improved in 1930.

Railway Line
Sidings built alongside the up line in 1904 for the Metropolitan Water Board. These were abandoned when water works were converted to oil burning in 1947.
Hanworth Road Sidings for Metropolitan Water Board between Sunbury and Kempton Park. Closed 1956

Sunbury Cross
Meeting place for ancient trackways. It is said to be a ley centre; one of its leys is the Silchester Ley, and also the Egham Causeway ley through the Negen Stones site goes through it. Once there was a large Victorian clock tower in the centre but this is now on the side in a small sunk area. A huge mound supports the road. It is now the terminal of the M3
Pyrene House. Siefert 1966. Two 13 storey blocks. Now Sony

Sunbury Common
British cemetery. Small graves on 32 acres of ground. It is now 18' down, and damaged by ploughing. Some graves were in lines running east/west & some in semi-circular groups. There were some pots with cremations. Excavated in 1870
Staines Reservoirs Aqueduct

Staines Road
On the Kingston Zodiac it is the outline Taurus rump

This material is gathered over many years and from many different sources

The London/Buckinghamshire boundary - Kempton Park

The London/Kingston/Spelthorne boundary continues north west until it reaches Staines Reservoirs Aqueduct and continues to the edge of the reservoir where it meets the boundary with London, Hounslow. The Hounslow/Spelthorne boundary turns south west and crosses the aqueduct and the railway line. It touches the northern edge of Half Moon Covert, crosses a path and continues to follow the northern edge of the race track. It eventually reaches a pond on the Portlane Brook and then turns north west again to the railway line.

Post to the west Kempton Park
Post to the east Marling Park
Post to the south Sunbury Kempton Park

Kempton Park
A Park was developed at Kempton during the 13th and stocked with deer and rabbits and used by Henry VIII. It is the area of this park which was sold to the eventual racecourse owner,
Sites on the Buckinghamshire/Spelthorne side of the boundary

Kempton Park House?
Near the house can be traced the sites of moats which mark the site of the original manor house. This was used by a succession of Kings from Henry III onwards. He obtained it in 1228 and it had a hall, chamber for the king, and the queen and  a chapel. The gatehouse for Westminster Palace was re-erected eere in 1244. It seems to have been demolished in the 14th. 17th manor house was there and rebuilt again in the 19th. Described as very gloomy and was demolished unfinished although a coach house survived into the 1950s. The current house was built soon after.
Barn 16th or 17th.
Kempton Park racecourse. Kempton Park first used in 1878. It had been sold to Henry Hyde in 1872 and he opened the course there. After the Second World War major reconstruction was needed and racing did not begin again until 1947.In the First World War the racecourse was used as a motor depot for a military camp at Sunbury and as a transit depot for military vehicles. The site was used for prisoners of war throughout World War II and their transit was arranged through the main line rail station nearbyLake the result of gravel extraction works. The lake is a Site of Nature Conservation Importance
Half Moon Covert. A Site of Nature Conservation Importance

Sunbury Way
Kempton Park Wood and Reservoirs A mixed deciduous woodland surrounds old waterworks. These partially drained reservoirs and woodlands attract waterfowl.  A consortium called Theme World proposed to build a leisure complex across this site hoping that the retaining or creation of a new lake would defeat local opposition. In 1987 a public inquiry was held and the land was later designated as Green Belt.

Sites on the London, Hounslow side of the boundary

Kempton Park Waterworks.
The Kempton Park works was established in 1897 by the New River and became part of the Metropolitan Water Board in 1903. Pumping was undertaken by two triple expansion engines of 1926-1929 thought to be the biggest ever built in the UK. They each pumped 19m gallons a day and worked until 1980s. The Sir William Prescott has been restored and is now the largest such engine still in working order. It is operated by the Kempton Great Engines Trust.
Kempton Park East Reservoir 1907. Closed in 1980, drained in 1982 and in 1996 had some of the embankments removed. However retains water, supplemented by rainfall and is managed as a nature reserve.
Kempton Park West Reservoir 1907. Also closed and emptied completely.
Railway Line
The Shepperton Line, 1864. Had to loop north in order to avoid Kempton Manor grounds.

Sources
Osborne. Defending London

The London/Buckinghamshire border. Marling Park

TQ 12 72
The Spelthorne/London/Kingston boundary continues northwards through Kempton Park and goes north along the site of an old reservoir with Hatherope Road Playing Field to the north.

Post to the west Kempton Park
Post to the south Kempton Park

Sites on the London, Richmond side of the border

Hatherop Park
Park on the old council burning ground. It includes conservation areas, a children’s play area, winter sports pitches and allotments. There is a walk past a restored pond, along the railway with views of the wild birds on the reservoirs opposite. Lots of common flowers and butterflies. There are dead elms which provide habitat for woodpeckers and fungi. The pond is interesting because it is not on older maps but two coppiced alders show it had been a wet area for a long time.

Marling Park
Formerly known as Tangley Park. Site of hotel built in 1869 which subsequently became the Female Orphan Home in 1890 after Major Marling bought it and named it after himself. Developed in the 1930s and 1950s. The Old Farm House also stood here but it was demolished in the 1960s. The Orphan home was set up by Joseph Stevenson. He was a City accountant who had become concerned about destitute children and first tried to help by getting fostering arrangements and then set up the orphanage, which moved to various places.

Railway Line
The Shepperton Line, 1864. Had to loop north in order to avoid Kempton Manor grounds.


Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne side of the border

Reservoir
Red House Reservoir, constructed c1907 and is supplied by the Staines Reservoirs Aqueduct. It is still operational and is secluded in woodland and popular with bats.


Sites on the London, Hounslow side of the border

South Road
Parkfields. Twickenham Rugby Club Ground. This is not the England Rugby Club but a local club based in Twickenham which derives from a Twickenham School in 1867. After the school closed the old boys kept on playing and in the 1890s formed the basis of the current club.

Material has been gathered over many years and from many sources

The London/Surrey/Buckinghamshire border Portlane Bridge

The London/Surrey boundary continues north across Kempton Park.
TQ 12 70

Post to the north Marling Park
Post to the south Bessborough
Post to the east Hampton and West Molesey and Platts Eyot
Post to the west Sunbury Kempton Park

Sites on the London/Richmond side of the boundary

Kempton Road
Grand Junction Reservoir. Thames Water draws water from the River Thames and on when it gets to Hampton, it goes into the Grand Junction Reservoir. This small reservoir is used to blend different source water and balance the flow into the works. The water from the primary filters g
oes under the Reservoir and six pumps lift the water into the ozone plant, where it is subjected to ozone dosing before passing to slow sand filters. Built by the Grand Junction Water Company but rebuilt after the First World War. It is used by large numbers of wintering birds.

Lower Sunbury Road
West Middlesex Water Co., two works divided by the Lower Sunbury Road, built 1890. Unfiltered water went to Battersea.
Water from the river was screened and there were three engines of 360 hp, built 1852. Originally there were two engines of 105 hp. & six boilers. There was a, 36' main in the river going to Barnes, and another engine to pump water to Barnes. A masonry & iron inlet took water from the river to the depositing reservoirs, which were single reservoirs lined with coarse gravel. The engine & boiler house were of Suffolk bricks, with a single Bull engine, standpipe in the tower, and a double cylinder engine to raise water from the natural filtration works at Lower Sunbury Road & Platts Eyot.
Cottages for workers.
River wall 14" & 9" thick, brown coping with a landing place for coal.

Sunnyside Reservoir. Built by the Southwark and Vauxhall Waterworks Company

OldField Road
Football ground. For the Hampton Rangers
OldField Works

Upper Sunbury Road
Portlane Bridge
St.Mary’s Lodge, care home was previously a cottage hospital
Playing Field
Hyde’s Field. Home of Hampton Rifle Club. Camping and caravanning.


Sites on the Buckinghamshire, Spelthorne, side of the boundary

Portlane Brook. The brook runs in a deep, steep-sided concrete channel whose banks have been invaded by scrub which is now maturing.
Portlane Brook Meadow. The meadow consists of rough grassland, with wild flowers such as common knapweed, bird's-foot-trefoil and white clover. An old hawthorn hedge in the middle of the meadow in the southern half is now a line of trees rather than a hedge.
Stainhill Reservoir east. Built by the Southwark and Vauxhall Waterworks Company. They are actually and have significant populations of wintering birds. Site of Metropolitan importance. With particular reference to its colony of tower mustard.
Stainhill Reservoir west as Stainhill East

The London/Surrey boundary - West Molesey

The London/Surrey boundary goes up the river until half way along the Stain Hill Reservoir when it turns directly north and joins the Spelthorne boundary. It continues north across Kempton Park.

Post to the north Kempton Park
Post to the east Molesey
Post to the south Molesey
Post to the west Walton Apps Court and Sunbury Rivermead

Hurst Road
Coal post north side at Walton/West Molesey boundary. 300 yards west of Weston Avenue
Reservoirs - Four. Built in 1872, by the Lambeth and the Chelsea Waterworks Companies. In both cases building here because of problems with mud in the intake at Seething Wells. In 1871 the Lambeth Company built two storage reservoirs were built and the water was piped to the Ditton works for treatment. An oval-shaped brick conduit, approximately 5ft.9ins x 4ft.9ins., was constructed between West Molesey and Long Ditton. The Chelsea Company bought land next to the Lambeth Company's partly in West Molesey parish and partly in Walton. In 1875 a pumping station, intake and four storage and subsiding reservoirs were built, and pipes laid to Long Ditton. The Lambeth Company in 1896 built two further reservoirs between their existing ones and Hurst Road.

Bessborough Reservoir
Built by the Southwark & Vauxhall Water Co. and the Metropolitan Water Board in 1898 on part of the site of Apps Court. Opened in 1907 covering 74 acres. Building had involved 1 ½ m cubic yards excavated 2,000,000 cut yards of puddle and 75,000 cut yards of Portland cement. It was called ‘Bessborough‘ after Lord Bessborough, one of the Company Directors. It was designed by J.W.Restler Deputy Chief Engineer MWB and former Engineer of the Southwark and Vauxhall Company.

Walton Road
Church farm. the 18th farmhouse survive
John Nightingale School on the land of Church Farm
Bishop Fox School on the land of Church Farm
Upper Farm south of Walton Road. Demolished.
'Howard Houses'. On the site of Upper Farm. Donald Gordon Howard had the idea of erecting houses inexpensively, in a modern style, with flat roofs, plain white walls, and steel-framed windows. The dwellings were constructed very cheaply. However after 320 houses had been built, only 100 had been sold.

This material has been compiled over many years and from many sources

The London Surrey Boundary - West Molesey

The Surrey/London/Kingston boundary continues along the middle of the river

Post to the west Bessborough reservoir
Post to the north Hampton and West Molesey and Platts Eyot
Post to the east East Molesey
Post to the south Island Barn Reservoir


South of the river - Surrey, Elmbridge

High Street
Homes of Physically Handicapped. 1967
Youth Centre – ex fire-station, ex-school

Hurst Road/ Cherry Orchard Road junction
VR post box

Walton Road/ Avern Road junction
Molesey Stone. East and West Molesey are traditionally divided by the Molesey Stone - it is located on the grass outside Molesey Library on Walton Road. It is marked ‘EM’ and ‘WM’. ‘Erected in 1865, on the last occasion of the perambulation of the parish bounds’. During road works some years ago, the stone was re-erected about twenty yards westward of the true boundary.
St.Peter’s Church. There has been a church here probably before Domesday. The present church was built in 1820 in a hideous yellow brick. The tower dates from about 1440 and may originally have been a watchtower. The Parish may have been a holding of St Peter’s Priory in Chertsey, and later became a Chapel of Ease to the Parish of Walton. It was originally dedicated to St Margaret, but in the 1920s it was rededicated to St Peter. It still has its 15th font, a Jacobean pulpit with a sounding-board, memorials: Admiral Cranfield Berkeley 1818; J. W. Croker 1857, the statesman, who is said to have coined the term 'conservative'.
412 Walton Road Stadium, site of The Priory. Adjacent to The Grange, now occupied by Molesey Football Club. In May 1785 this estate was the venue for one of the earliest balloon flights in England. James Sadler, went up with William Wyndham MP, in a flight which ended in the Thames estuary. In 1845 it became a candle factory for Messrs Field. The house was demolished in the 1930s.

This material has been gathered over many years and from many sources

The London/Surrey border - Hampton

TQ 13 70
The London/Surrey boundary carries on up the middle of the river

Post to the east Hampton and Hurst Park
Post to the south West Molesey
Post to the west Kempton Park

North Bank - London, Richmond

This post covers only sites north of the river - south is West Molesey and Platts Eyot

Ashley Road
Built in 1897 along with houses along the railway.

Belgrade Road
Riverhill Estate between here and Plevna Road and laid out in 1878.

Hampton
Ruffs Candle factory bought by Ranyard
Hampton north of the station,

Park Road
Had no building in Victorian but very slow to get going.

Old Farm Road
All Saints

Plevna Road
Riverhill Estate between here and Belgrade Road and laid out in 1878.

Riverside
Path on the north bank
Landing stage
Filter beds are between site of Metropolitan Water Board Ferry and old Sunnymeads Reservoir
Between here and Kempton Park were brickfields for Hampton Court
Draw dock,. the ancient Hampton Parish wharf. it was used for much the same purpose as the Molesey wharf but possibly not as often as the "Hard" at the Bell Hill in the heart of Hampton Village. But there is good reason for the draw dock being sited far out from the once tiny village; on the rising ground inboard of the dock a stretching in a North West direction towards Kempton were the Stane Hill brickfields where large Quantities of bricks were made for the building of Hampton Court Palace. This wharf therefore was built at the nearest convenient point for the bricks to be loaded into barges. The crane on the wharf has been there since Thornycroft's time or even before; it was here that all materials for the boatyard were loaded. The handles of the crane can be hired for a reasonable fee so providing a very useful service for others such as Constables Boathouse and other firms a little further down
Shallows between here and Platt’s Eyot. Particularly upstream of the Parish Wharf. in ancient time a rudimentary weir was built at an angle from the head of the Island to the northern bank in order to direct as much water as available into, the main stream to keep the level of the water as high as possible and at the same time to keep the channel scoured for the benefit of barge traffic. This weir remained in use until Sunbury and Molesey locks came into use. When the channel upstream, was dredged some 30 years ago some of the old weir timbers were found.

Station Road
Some tough but not unattractive red brick terraces by Hutchison Locke & Monk, c. 1978.
30 at an angle to the road, later c 18, with canted bays and or pedimented doorway,
Sweet creeper-clad cottage
46-54 a humble terrace of c. 1710-20.
Hampton Station. 1864. Between Fulwell and Kempton Park on South Western Trains. Decent yellow brick house with gables and round arched windows. Built between Shepperton and Twickenham.
sidings which dealt with frozen Hungarian horseflesh & coal for the various water works round
Goods yard
Red Lion
Greyhound
Bell
The Widow's Struggle
Pretty cottages,
Houses terrace of small, plain three-storey Georgian houses, the first with a little stable and loft in the front garden.
high wall surrounds a series of Thames Water filter beds, originally built in 1855 by the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company after central London's private water companies had been forced to move their Thames intakes upstream into the cleaner, non-tidal part of the river.
Thames Street
1 Riverdale. Brown brick with red dressings, four windows, 'newly erected' in 1772, with extension probably of the mid c 19.
3 minor c 18 street front,
15 minor c 18 street front,
20 minor c 18 street front
22-26 minor c 18 street front
38 minor c 18 street front
54-66 minor c 18 street front,
Soap factory - derelict facade of what is said to be the oldest soap factory in the country (built in 1760).
2-4 Feathers cottage

Stevenson’s Alley next to Constables boathouse.
Wharves still there and used by cruisers
Reservoirs: 2 1/2 miles of coping. Designed by J.E. Westler engineer of Southwark and Vauxhall Co. and Chief Eng. from 1905. Filled from Chelsea Co intake. Spoil from them dumped on Platt’s Eyot.
Tagg site pumping station planned but not built immediately. Reconsidered and worked out to be most effective in changed circumstances. Thames Ironworks of Greenwich machinery and Dick Kerr bought the buildings. Opened in 1911 by John Burns, 4 triple expansion engines and centrifugal pump of 25m a day. Special arrangements for extra water, raw water from it into Knight and flowing into Bessborough, and raw water to Island Barn

Upper Sunbury Road
Rosehill Library flats. A later c 18 house of three storeys, three windows wide, with additions. Original staircase. Plaque to John Beard, c1717-1791.It says 'singer'. erected 1992.
Hampton Waterworks. Following the 1852 Metropolis Water Act, three water companies moved their intakes upriver to Hampton, with three nearly identical pumping stations by Joseph Quick. The buildings now stand empty of machinery. Metropolitan Water Board policy of concentration. Lots of new machinery and no purchased electricity. Purification plant with balancing reservoir. New engine house and a lot of other new things
Thames Aqueducts. Ring main started from here in after 1960. Had been suggested in 1935 – a tunnel to take water from the Thames above Teddington to North London. It is 102 in diameter tunnel in interlocking concrete rings for 19 miles and finishes at the Lockwood reservoir. Built by Sir William Halcrow & Partners.
The West Middlesex Company's buildings have gone. Abstracted water from Thames and pumped it to Barnes for filtering.
The Grand Junction Company's station has Quick's engine house of 1853-5, in a dainty Italianate with large round-arched upper windows and perforated parapet, built for two Bull engines. The projection at the front is the base of a former chimney-cum-standpipe tower. Pumped unfiltered water to Kew. 1919 removed Cornish bull engines and ordered Riverdale and Moreland engines, more powerful. Then diesels called Kartslake engines after the Chairman of the Board. Sheffield engines of 1885 replaced for pumping gravel water into the filter beds. Also steam driven electric generators to help it all. There were then still three Cornish engines left replaced with electric pumps. New engines called Henry Ward after Henry Ward JP.
Boiler house at the side has blank arcading. Grand Junction Company
Beam engine house of 1881-2 by Alexander Frazer, rather plain. Grand Junction Company
Waterworks cottages semi-detached of the 1850s Grand Junction Company
Gate office. Simple sub-Italianate Grand Junction Company
The Southwark and Vauxhall Company's engine house of 1853-5, to the same design as the Grand Junction's. One-storey extensions in the same style, including a broad chimney embellished with pilasters and relieving arches. Later known as the Ruston house. Delivered all filtered water
The Moreland’s building has two large and heavy-looking Italianate engine houses at either end of a blank-arcaded boiler house fifteen bays long. One house, with ornamental lozenge-pattern winding frames, of 1867-70 by Joseph Quick for two 80 inch. Beam engines. The other house of 1885-6 by J. W. Restler. A central standpipe tower, Italianate with prominent cornices, was demolished in 1970. Southwark and Vauxhall Company
The Riverdale building 1897-1900 for three triple expansion engines. Engine house with a quasi-Elizabethan plan, boiler house with aisles and clerestory, all with tall, round-headed windows. Southwark and Vauxhall Company
Gatehouse and clock tower mixed Italian-cum-Elizabethan late c 19. Southwark and Vauxhall Company
Filter beds behind are from 1867 onwards. The old steam plant was scrapped in 1943.
The Stilgoe engine house, 1935-43 by A.J.Johnson, houses eight steam turbine driving centrifugal pumps and generators. Brick on a stone frame; two chimneys arranged symmetrically. Called Stilgoe after the engineer and division filter house and high lift pumping machinery. The Durham engines
The Davison primary filter house is 1936-47.
Thames-Lee Water Main Tunnel. From Hampton Waterworks to the King George V Reservoir at Chingford running 160 ft below St Mary's church. Constructed 1955-in use 1966, Sir William Halcrow & Partners consulting engineers. 19 miles long, 102 in. in internal diameter, most tunnelled through the London Clay. The longest tunnel Europe, and the longest in the world through soft strata. It was also the first tunnel to use an expanding lining of unreinforced concrete tapered segments and the first to use successfully a rotary drum digger. Tunnelling was carried out in 1955-9.

Varna Road

Material for this work has been collected over many years and from many source. Clearly The Buildings of England has been useful for some of the posher housing and material from members of GLIAS for both the water works and Platts Eyot.

The London/Surrey border - Hampton

A square by square look at London

The Surrey/London Boundary carries on up the middle of the river

This post covers only sites north of the river. South of the river is Hurst Park

Post to the west Hampton and West Molesey and Platts Eyot
Post to the south East Molesey

North Bank - London, Richmond

Bushy Park
Cobbler’s Walk. Named for Timothy Bennet who was a shoemaker who lived in Hampton Wick. In 1754 he campaigned for free public access across Bushy Park to Hampton. Cobbler's Walk is named after him
Keeper’s Lodge
Waterhouse Pond
Waterhouse Woodland Garden
Willow Plantation

Church Street
St.Mary. There are records of a church here before 1342. The church was completely rebuilt in 1831 by Lapidge after it was had been Struck by lightening in 1829 but its ancient monuments were preserved. It is a plain white brick building and a landmark tower without adornment. In 1888 Sir Arthur Blomfield added a sanctuary. Monuments: In the porch is a monument to Sibel Pen, Edward VI's nurse - her grey-cloaked ghost is said to haunt this church – it dates from 1562 and is a standing wall-monument with a recumbent effigy; Mrs Thomas 1731, designed by Archer and signed by W. Powell; George Tilson 1738 with a long inscription and an enterprising putto; Captain A. Ellice, Comptroller General of the Coastguards 1853, by Bedford, with a coastguard mourning by the Captain's coffin. Plaque to Wynn. Hampton vicar in 1342. The Queen Adelaide sanctuary was built for Queen Victoria's golden jubilee
9-9a Penn’s House site of the house where Edward VI’s nurse lived. Sibel Penn, died of smallpox in 1562 Penn's Place, marked by a plaque
2 Old Grange 1630. A girls’ school in 1910. Pebbledashed. A fireplace inside appears older than 1630
Orme House. 1698. In 1770 this was a girls school and in 1807 used by T.Holloway. By 1830 it was a school again..
62-68 a small 18th terrace with an one old shop front.
78 Ivy House with a cupola added at the front
80-84 Hope Cottage, Lady Bouchier convalescent home
90 is early 18th older
100 Grove House built c. 1726-7 by Lady Mary Downing. Inside a staircasde with twisted balusters and a room in Moorish style, added as a music room in 1906 by Colonel C. J. Stutfield.
Churchyard. a zodiacal pyramid to John Greg of Dominica f 1795. On the Kingston Zodiac this is on Taurus opposing the sign at Wimbledon.

Hampton Court Road,
Hampton Court Road 'an architectural composition of the highest duality'
Garrick's House. home of David Garrick, army officer and nephew of the actor lived from 1778 until his death in 1795. a long thin front to the road, Was also called The Cedars.
Garrick's Villa. Converted into flats in the 1920s. Garrick the actor's had this as his country house, from 1754 and rebuilt it from very old cottages. A previous house on site has belonged to the Caswell family since 1640. Garrick’s widow lived there until 1822. In 1902 it was bought by Tramway company with a view to demolition but instead their manager moved in. he owned the tramway and installed track for his own private Tramcar up to the entrance. Some land was swapped with Bushey Park. The house was converted in to flats in 1922, is now the centre of a “Georgian” estate of the 1960s. Some of Garrick’s garden, including the mulberry, remain.
Orangery. Built for Garrick as a garden feature but an upper floor was added in the 1920s and it is now flats.

Hogarth Way. More houses built on some of the land of Garrick’s garden.
Shakespeare's Temple 'a kind of dumpling'. Garrick's little ocatagon temple for picnics and to hold Roubillac’s statue of Shakespeare – now a replica, the original is now in the British Museum. It seems that Roubiliac himself designed the building. Capability Brown landscaping. Restored by Temple Trust. Close to the river and separated from the house by the road. It was restored by D. W. Insall for Richmond Council
Tunnel between Garrick's House and the folly. Grotto like on the advice of Lancelot Brown.
White Lodge. 18th looking towards the Diana Fountain in Bushy Park
Chalet, brought from Switzerland originally used about 1882 as a garden feature for a now demolished house called Riverholme a few yards downstream. 'More like the superstructure of a paddle steamer'. Offices for Hucks Marine Engineers
St Alban's. On the riverbank, said to have been built for Nell Gwyn and her son, the Duke of St Alban's, but it wasn’t

Hampton
Held in the Domesday Book by Walter de St Waleric. Settlement in the bend of the river, which explains the name.
Hampton Sailing Club, 55 King Edward Benn's Island

High Street
101 Elmgrove House, 18th.
87 a small plain 18th house
81 1780, with a trellis porch
67 Old Farmhouse.formerly Park Brook. Lshaped early 19th maybe older.
Beveree house set in its own grounds. Built in the early 19th near the site of a house built by Dr John Blow which was demolished in 1799. rebuilt after a fire in 1867.
33-35 a terrace of 1720 with later stucco.
16 Jolly Coopers. Popular pub, dating back to the early 1700s. The restricted space on entering opens up on both sides of the bar. The bar area is adorned with numerous beer, whisky and water jugs and bottled beers. Listed
Betty's confectionery and tobacco shop run by former rowing champion Betty Kenton, British champion sculler in 1935 and 1938, under her maiden name of Ambler. Just inside the door there is an inscribed photograph of her in her scull to prove it. Her husband runs the family boatyard across the road and maintains one of the last remaining foot ferries on the Thames .
Bookshop, Ian Sheridan’s antiquarian shop with old sofas and armchairs and classical music playing on an ancient radiogram.
Hope Cottage built as a coach house before 1780.

Riverside walk
On north bank Piece of ground called the Toy which was used for Roundhead soldiers barracks, pub, all demolished, From Garrick Villa to Tumbling Bay fishing preserve


This work has been compiled over many years and from many sources - clearly The Buildings of England has been very helpful for the posher houses of this section.

The London/Surrey border - East Molesey

The London/Surrey boundary goes on up the middle of the river

Suburban riverside area


Post to the west West Molesey
Post to the north Hampton and Hurst Park
Post to the east Hampton Court and East Molesey
Post to the south Molesey

River Thames
Ash Island.
The weirs connect an island, of some four acres in extent it is flat with bungalows and houseboats. Category I ecology site. Most of the island is densely covered in trees, and natural vegetation and a refuge for nesting water fowl . The island is privately owned and has a boatyard towards the lock, and moorings on the lower side. The islland has had a variety of names — Garrick's Lower Eyot , Mr Clay's Ait, Anglers' Ait, Harvey's Ait, Ashen Ait, and Robinson Crusoe Island. It was once much lower than it is today, and often flooded. After 1877 the part of the island was dredged away and the spoil spread over the rest of the island to raise its level, a process repeated in the early 1930s. After this an amusement centre called ‘The Anglers Retreat’ was built here but later moved elsewhere

South of the River - Surrey, Elmbridge

Arnison Road
Family name of local landowners,

Bridge Street
Kingfisher Court. 1933. Quite interesting essay in the modern style. Sunroofs like station platforms
150 A timber framed building used as a smithy until the 1930's, now occupied by a firm of printers

Dennis Road
Corruption of Dennes. Name of committee member of the Westminster Freehold Land Society who laid out the area here

Kent Town
Named after Francis Jackson Kent, developer who bought 300 acres in 1848 - rightly anticipating a rush of commuters eager to buy houses in the area once the new rail line arrived.

Molesey
Molesey was granted to Chertsey Abbey in the seventh century. The name derives from the Old English word for an island or river meadow compounded with the personal name ‘Mul’. It means Mul’s Island or Mul’s Meadows. The prefixes ‘West’ and ‘East’ date from the 13th century, prior to which there was only one village at East Molesey.

Mole
The historic name for the river Mole is the ‘Emen’ and it was not known as the Moule or Mole until around the 16th century.

Palace Road
1 lodge to gated entrance to the area as developed by Francis Kent
St. Paul. In 1854 developer. Kent started to build a church which he offered as a parish church which offer was declined but it was agreed it could be opened as a district church. It was opened in 1856 and extended in 1864 and 1870, the tower and spire added in 1887-8. The architect was Stephen Salter

Parsons Mead

Pemberton Road
Name of committee member of the Westminster Freehold Land Society who laid out the area here

School Road
Stone-faced shops. Odd

Vine Road
Name of committee member of the Westminster Freehold Land Society who laid out the area here
St.Barnabas Church RC. started in a corrugated iron building in Vine Road in 1906. This church is in brick in and opened in 1931.
Vine Hall. Community hall with small stage, etc.

Walton Road
The southern street frontage dates from the 19th and 20th
8-19 earliest surviving buildings terrace of cottages
44 Colena Ladies Outfitters, Former telephone call box. This unusual small kiosk-like building jutting out from the front was the first public telephone call box in the district, opened in October 1900
171 Europa
92 Fire Engine House. Built in 1900 to the design of Mr John Stevenson, surveyor to the Molesey Urban District Council. It was closed as a fire station in 1961, and is now used by the St John's Ambulance Brigade.
32 Holly Lodge a Regency villa of the 1820s with late-18th century origins.
4, former coach house of the Olde House
2 Olde House, now gone

Sources
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Elmbridge Council. Web site
Industrial Archaeology of Elmbridge
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
St.Paul. Web site

The London/Surrey border - Thames Ditton

A square by square look at London
TQ 68 15

The London/Surrey boundary goes straight up the middle of the river

The river Ember flows north east

This square includes only sites south of the river. To the north is a tiny stretch of Hampton Court Park

Post to the west Molesey
Post to the north Hampton Court and East Molesey
Post to the east Hampton Court Park and Thames Ditton to the south


South side - Surrey, Elmbridge

Queens Road
The Albany pub.  Also seems to be called the Six Continents, or The Fox on the River. Dates from 1896.
Dittons Skiff and Punting Club. formed in 1923 and hosts its own annual regatta
Ferry
Riverside path

Speer Road
Hannibal Speer was Lord of the Manor at Ditton in the late 19th
Thames Ditton United Reform Church
Cemetery
Sports Ground

Summer Road
On the Kingston Zodiac this reflects the twin, the God of light
Ditton Field. Sports ground. Chain-link fencing, an all-weather hockey pitch and a line of boundary lombardy poplars

Thames Ditton
Copperas grounds here owned by the Steiger family in the 1740s then taken over by Charles Pearson, who controlled most of the copperas production on the Thames. Copperas is a chemical produced by the immersion of pyrites –picked up in the Thames Estuary – in water for long period. It was used as a black dye and for the production of sulphuric acid.
Tributory to the Mole


River Thames
Albany Reach

This work has been compiled over many years and from many different sources

The London/Surrey Border - Hampton Court

The boundary between Surrey/London goes on up the middle of the river
The River Mole joins the River Ember and they flow into the Thames

Posh houses - many with great pedigrees clustered round the grandeur of Hampton Court - but there is, or was, some riverside industry here.

This post includes only sites north of the river. South of the river is East Molesey

Post to the west East Molesey
Post to the south Thames Ditton  and Hampton Court Park

North of the river - London, Richmond

Broad Walk
Along the front of the palace continuing to the riverside and laid out by Henry Wise for William III in 1699. It has a herbaceous border originating in the 1920s. It stretches nearly half a mile and is the longest in Britain.

Campbell Road
Hampton Court House. Built in 1757 by Thomas Wright of Durham for Mrs Donaldson, the mistress of the Earl of Halifax, There was 19th alterations for the classical scholar, Marmaduke Blake Sampson, and changed again in the 19th and the 20th. It has a central dome. Inside there is a mid-20th galleried hall and a picture gallery which was later a theatre. In 1945 it was a home for elderly women and then became children’s home and a school.
Gardens listed by English Heritage as of special interest. There is a lake converted from a gravel pit. There is a gothic “hut” and an icehouse, built in 1769 by Thomas Wright with a heart shaped pond in front and a fernery.
Shell grotto which existed by 1769 and also designed by Wright. There is a shell Venus in a niche. It has a plaster vault decorated with ammonites perhaps bought by the Twining family. Designed as a summer house with fireplaces for the cooler nights.

Hampton Court Gardens
(details of the gardens have been omitted here)

Hampton Court Palace
(details of the Palace have been omitted here)

Hampton Court Road
Royal Mews. Mid-16th- century with an Elizabethan barn. . Built as the King's New Stables in 1536-8, extended in 1567-70 by the new barns and a coach house, and altered since. The barn dated has a kingpost roof and an earlier square block built around a courtyard. The arcade opening out into the stalls remains inside the range.
Cardinal Wolsey pub
Tea houses with verandas. Some of them as fanciful as if they stood at New Orleans
Wilderness House a plain house of c. 1700. Capability Brown lived here.
King's Arms late 18th with an early 19th porch.
Ivy House. Rebuilt after 1776 with some plasterwork of the 18th. Garden layout and buildings attributed to Thomas Wright. The grotto was intended to simulate a starry firmament, reflecting Wright's astronomical interests. With pilastered surround
Glycine House 17th with old iron railings and gate. Tunnel in the cellar.
Park House 18th
Sundial Cottage half-timbered, possibly made up from old material
Lancaster Lodge c. 1700. Listed
Hampton Court Pier. Public. .primitive and exposedhttp://edithsstreets.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/the-londonsurrey-border-east-moseley.html
Hampton Court Bridge, built in 1933 by Sir Edwin Lutyens, across the Thames and designed for road traffic. It has a single concrete arch with red facing bricks and a central shield. The site of the crossing had had a ferry since the middle ages. The first bridge was built in 1752–53, and was privately owned bridge by a James Clarke. It had seven wooden arches, and was built in the design of the Willow pattern brdge. It was replaced by a more sturdy wooden structure in 1778. By 1840 it was dilapidated and the City Corporation had created Molesey Lock and Weir making navigation through the bridge dangerous. Another bridge was built in 1866, , designed by E. T. Murray with wrought iron lattice girders resting on four columns with battlemented brick walls - one of which remains on the south bank. The modern bridge is thus fourth on the site. It is Grade II listed.
Molsey Lock. built by the City Corporation in 1815 and is the second longest on the river. Beside the lock there are rollers for the transfer of small boats. It was rebuilt in the mid 1800s and again in 1905/6 and yet again in 1964/5 when the original wooden beams were removed and a new hydraulic system


Sources
Stidder.Watermills of Surrey
Penguin Book of Surrey,

Haselfoot, Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East England.
Pev Surrey
London Transport Country Walks
Stevenson. Middlesex
Walford. Village London,
London Encyclopedia
Middlexsex County Council. History of  Middlesex
Pevsner and Cherry. South London,
Headley and Meulenkamp, Follies
The Kingston Zodiac
Clunn. The Face of London
London Night and Day,
Greater London Council. Thames Guidelines,
London Transport. Wren
Middlesex Churches,
Gunpowder Mills Gazette

The London/Surrey boundary - ..Hampton Court Park

TQ 6816
The London/Surrey boundary goes along the middle of the river, passing on the north side of Thames Ditton Island.

Post to the west Thames Ditton and Hampton Court Park
Post to the east Seething Wells and Hampton Court Palace Golf Clubhouse

This posting shows sites north of the river only in this square. South of the river is Thames Ditton

North Bank - sites in Surrey,Elmbridge

Barge Walk
Riverside walk - has an interesting range of plants, some preferring wet situations and some the drier bank top. A narrow strip of unmown grass along the sides had many plants some rare in London. There is some a self-sown woodland by the park wall, some planted hawthorn and cherry other trees growing at the water’s edge.

Hampton Court Grounds
Pavilion Terrace
The Pavilion. Stone pine in the grounds. Built in 1937 as a cricket pavilion and now a private health club.
Rabbit Warren – to provide supplies for the kitchen.
Home Park Golf Course and Club House. Opened in 1895 and remodelled by Willie Park Junior in 1904. It is the only golf course in a Royal Park. It has symmetrical lines of lime trees, roaming deer and oak tree – one of which is called the Mediaeval Oak (or Methuselah's Oak), and said to be 750 years old.



The London/Surrey border - Seething Wells

A square by square look at London
Tq 17 68

The London/Kingston/Surrey boundary comes northwards from the eastern edge of the Victoria Recreation Ground, crosses Balaclava Road and down Seething Well, goes through the works, crosses the Portsmouth Road, through more works and into the middle of the river, where it turns west upriver.

This post covers sites south of the river only. North of the river is Hampton Court Palace Golf Clubhouse

Post to the west Thames Ditton and Hampton Court Park
Post to the south Long Ditton
Post to the north Kingston Portsmouth Road  and Hampton Court Park Rick Pond

Sites on the London, Kingston side of the border

Balaclava Road
The name has clear associations with the Crimean War

Brighton Road
73 Lamb. Small one bar local pub. Gent’s toilet on the site of an old brewery.

Cadogan Road
Built by Woods in the 1850s. Land in Surbiton was owned by Henry Paget, Earl of Uxbridge who had fought a duel with the Earl of Cadogan following an elopement with Cadogan’s sister.

Catherine Road
Mid-19th development

Cottage Grove
Originally George Street but the name changed quite quickly to be clear what sort of class it was built for.
Electric Parade

Grove Road
Developed by William Woods

Maple Road
Was known as Terry’s Road until 1844 when the name was changed following scandals concerning Pooley’s finances. The road was developed to a reasonable standard when the water company laid their pipes and the Commissioners insisted on road improvements at the same time.
Site of Maple Farm, which was 150 acres of good land suitable for a gentleman farmer.
Claremont Hall is on the site of Maple Farmhouse, which was later known as Maple Lodge. In 1815 it was the home of Mr. Terry. In the late 1830s, after Terry’s death, it was bought by Thomas Pooley who, despite bumper crops from the farm, had houses being built within eighteen months. It became the home later of Thomas Brassey the railway contractor
Waggon and Horses
Oak Pub
St. Andrew. Built by A. W.Blomfield, 1871 in red brick. Has an almost separate tower. Stained Glass By Layers, Westlake & Co
Congregational Church. Built in 1865 with its predecessor nearby Built by James Wilson of Bath.

St Andrews Square
Tall ornamented terraces, which were never completed. They are built round a square developed by the firm of Corbett and McClymont before 1878

Portsmouth Road (some of these sites in Surrey)
Portsmouth Road was part of the turnpike road between London and Portsmouth. In the 18th it was lined with trees.
Seething Wells. Lambeth Water Works. Site 1849. This water works was one of the first to be built above Teddington Lock pre-dating the Metropolitan Water Act but actually opened in 1853. The inlets here sucked up too much mud from the Mole, Ember and Rythe and therefore the intake was moved to West Molesey. Which was filtered here. Their engineer was Sir James Simpson
Lambeth Uncovered Coal Store. Listed Grade II. Built 1851 developed by James Simpson with some minor 20th changes. A roughly rectangular unroofed enclosure with a hydraulic accumulator tower and underground tunnels, which connect to track under the main road to the riverside.
The Lodge designed by Simpson 1860 for Chelsea Water Works. One storey in stock bridge with a campanile tower, which is the ventilation shaft for a railway tunnel below which serves the coal store. Used by the porters for the students.
Chelsea coal store. By Simpson for Chelsea Water Works. Single storey with a square tower there is a tunnel under it to the coal wharf on the river.
Chelsea Fountain by Simpson ornamental and circular
Chelsea boundary wall. Built 1854. Stock brick capped with stone. Cast iron railings with lotus leaf designs on the uprights and pyramids on the horizontals.
Single storey building by the filter beds described as having merit.
Surbiton Water Works of the Chelsea Company. They moved up- stream from Chelsea in 1856 being the last company to do so. They originally had two reservoirs of 3 acres. Thefre were six engines since 1866 and seven filter beds in 1894 hydraulic machinery for coal handling, cottages. The neo-Norman pumping station buildings were by James Simpson and he, or James Taylor, designed the works on the slow sand filtration system featuring a network of tunnels, many with original plant still intact. These filter beds provided the perfect double-blind study for Dr Snow because they piped clean water to some of the homes in Lambeth while others in the same street had their provision from the river locally. The intake was moved, like Lambeth’s to West Molesey
Seething Wells development – the water works site has been developed as student accommodation for Kingston University
Ravensview Court. On the site of 51 St.Leonard’s Lodge. Home of Dr.Barnardo and where he died in 1905.
Palmyra Farm land was used for an extension to Chelsea Water Works in the 1870s
Ring Main Shaft. The London water ring main passes under this site about 45 metres underground. This was a construction site and there is an access shaft. The ring main connects to these shafts at a depth of 40m
Electricity Sub Station. Has merit
63 has merit
64 has merit
85 former Chelsea Water Works engineer’s house

Raven’s Ait
Training School Activity Centre. On the island in the Thames, a pleasant boathouse and club by Hubbard Ford & Partners, 1971-2. White-boarded upper floor, pitched roof of distinctive shape

Riverside
Westfield Ferry Boat House

Seething Wells Lane
Seething Wells. Named from a spring called the Seething-Well in 1719, from the word seething 'bubbling or foaming (as if boiling)'. The spring was thought therapeutic and was much visited in the 1700s and early 1800s but plans for a spa never took off. The spring was in a well house behind a Fox and Hounds pub
1-3 Dover Cottages. Has merit

Uxbridge Road
Built by developer Woods on the site of the grounds of Surbiton Hall.

Victoria Road
Was originally called Alexander Road after Thomas Pooley’s son until 1844 when the name was changed following scandals concerning Pooley’s finances.

Westfield Road
Houses built in the early 1850s with no drains or water supply.

These notes have been compliled over many years and from many sources. I would however like to specially note June Sampson's All Change and notes about London's waterworks by members of GLIAS.
Sampson  The Kingston Book