The London/Kingston/Surrey boundary comes north east across the A3, immediately turns west to the corner of Lower Wood and then back north east and recrosses the A3 it crosses a path, and eventually Clayton Road passes Oaklands on its east and runs between two sports fields.
The Tolworth Brook is on the east side of the playing field north of Somerset Road
Post to the north Hook
Post to the south Chessington
Post to the east Chessington and Hook
Sites on the London, Kingston side of the boundary
Named from its shape - a hook shaped piece of land. ‘Hoke’ 1227, ‘La Hoke’ 1235, ‘Houke’ 1312, ‘Hook’ 1680 from Old English ‘hoc’. The name could describe the shape of the parish, which is long north-south strip with a curved tip at the northern end. However it could also be named from John Hog, or John del Hoc, a 12th. It was once called ‘Grappelingham’ or ‘Grapsome’. On the Kingston Zodiac it is on the Lion's collar to show that he is tethered . it was on the southern edge of Surbiton Common and belonged to Merton Priory. Late 19th surge in population following development of roads. It became a separate parish 1859.
Hooklands Estate 1920s 300 houses.
Croydon House, Hycroft, all sold for building in nineteenth century
Cottages at junction with Mansfield Road provided the original nucleus of the settlement.