Saturday, 26 September 2009

The London/Surrey border - East Molesey

The London/Surrey boundary goes on up the middle of the river

Suburban riverside area


Post to the west West Molesey
Post to the north Hampton and Hurst Park
Post to the east Hampton Court and East Molesey
Post to the south Molesey

River Thames
Ash Island.
The weirs connect an island, of some four acres in extent it is flat with bungalows and houseboats. Category I ecology site. Most of the island is densely covered in trees, and natural vegetation and a refuge for nesting water fowl . The island is privately owned and has a boatyard towards the lock, and moorings on the lower side. The islland has had a variety of names — Garrick's Lower Eyot , Mr Clay's Ait, Anglers' Ait, Harvey's Ait, Ashen Ait, and Robinson Crusoe Island. It was once much lower than it is today, and often flooded. After 1877 the part of the island was dredged away and the spoil spread over the rest of the island to raise its level, a process repeated in the early 1930s. After this an amusement centre called ‘The Anglers Retreat’ was built here but later moved elsewhere

South of the River - Surrey, Elmbridge

Arnison Road
Family name of local landowners,

Bridge Street
Kingfisher Court. 1933. Quite interesting essay in the modern style. Sunroofs like station platforms
150 A timber framed building used as a smithy until the 1930's, now occupied by a firm of printers

Dennis Road
Corruption of Dennes. Name of committee member of the Westminster Freehold Land Society who laid out the area here

Kent Town
Named after Francis Jackson Kent, developer who bought 300 acres in 1848 - rightly anticipating a rush of commuters eager to buy houses in the area once the new rail line arrived.

Molesey
Molesey was granted to Chertsey Abbey in the seventh century. The name derives from the Old English word for an island or river meadow compounded with the personal name ‘Mul’. It means Mul’s Island or Mul’s Meadows. The prefixes ‘West’ and ‘East’ date from the 13th century, prior to which there was only one village at East Molesey.

Mole
The historic name for the river Mole is the ‘Emen’ and it was not known as the Moule or Mole until around the 16th century.

Palace Road
1 lodge to gated entrance to the area as developed by Francis Kent
St. Paul. In 1854 developer. Kent started to build a church which he offered as a parish church which offer was declined but it was agreed it could be opened as a district church. It was opened in 1856 and extended in 1864 and 1870, the tower and spire added in 1887-8. The architect was Stephen Salter

Parsons Mead

Pemberton Road
Name of committee member of the Westminster Freehold Land Society who laid out the area here

School Road
Stone-faced shops. Odd

Vine Road
Name of committee member of the Westminster Freehold Land Society who laid out the area here
St.Barnabas Church RC. started in a corrugated iron building in Vine Road in 1906. This church is in brick in and opened in 1931.
Vine Hall. Community hall with small stage, etc.

Walton Road
The southern street frontage dates from the 19th and 20th
8-19 earliest surviving buildings terrace of cottages
44 Colena Ladies Outfitters, Former telephone call box. This unusual small kiosk-like building jutting out from the front was the first public telephone call box in the district, opened in October 1900
171 Europa
92 Fire Engine House. Built in 1900 to the design of Mr John Stevenson, surveyor to the Molesey Urban District Council. It was closed as a fire station in 1961, and is now used by the St John's Ambulance Brigade.
32 Holly Lodge a Regency villa of the 1820s with late-18th century origins.
4, former coach house of the Olde House
2 Olde House, now gone

Sources
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Elmbridge Council. Web site
Industrial Archaeology of Elmbridge
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
St.Paul. Web site

1 comment:

Angus said...

Hi Edith,

It's Bridge Road, not Street.

Many thanks for the informative site.

Yours,
Angus