Saturday, 26 September 2009

The London/Surrey Border - Hampton Court

The boundary between Surrey/London goes on up the middle of the river
The River Mole joins the River Ember and they flow into the Thames

Posh houses - many with great pedigrees clustered round the grandeur of Hampton Court - but there is, or was, some riverside industry here.

This post includes only sites north of the river. South of the river is East Molesey

Post to the west East Molesey
Post to the south Thames Ditton  and Hampton Court Park

North of the river - London, Richmond

Broad Walk
Along the front of the palace continuing to the riverside and laid out by Henry Wise for William III in 1699. It has a herbaceous border originating in the 1920s. It stretches nearly half a mile and is the longest in Britain.

Campbell Road
Hampton Court House. Built in 1757 by Thomas Wright of Durham for Mrs Donaldson, the mistress of the Earl of Halifax, There was 19th alterations for the classical scholar, Marmaduke Blake Sampson, and changed again in the 19th and the 20th. It has a central dome. Inside there is a mid-20th galleried hall and a picture gallery which was later a theatre. In 1945 it was a home for elderly women and then became children’s home and a school.
Gardens listed by English Heritage as of special interest. There is a lake converted from a gravel pit. There is a gothic “hut” and an icehouse, built in 1769 by Thomas Wright with a heart shaped pond in front and a fernery.
Shell grotto which existed by 1769 and also designed by Wright. There is a shell Venus in a niche. It has a plaster vault decorated with ammonites perhaps bought by the Twining family. Designed as a summer house with fireplaces for the cooler nights.

Hampton Court Gardens
(details of the gardens have been omitted here)

Hampton Court Palace
(details of the Palace have been omitted here)

Hampton Court Road
Royal Mews. Mid-16th- century with an Elizabethan barn. . Built as the King's New Stables in 1536-8, extended in 1567-70 by the new barns and a coach house, and altered since. The barn dated has a kingpost roof and an earlier square block built around a courtyard. The arcade opening out into the stalls remains inside the range.
Cardinal Wolsey pub
Tea houses with verandas. Some of them as fanciful as if they stood at New Orleans
Wilderness House a plain house of c. 1700. Capability Brown lived here.
King's Arms late 18th with an early 19th porch.
Ivy House. Rebuilt after 1776 with some plasterwork of the 18th. Garden layout and buildings attributed to Thomas Wright. The grotto was intended to simulate a starry firmament, reflecting Wright's astronomical interests. With pilastered surround
Glycine House 17th with old iron railings and gate. Tunnel in the cellar.
Park House 18th
Sundial Cottage half-timbered, possibly made up from old material
Lancaster Lodge c. 1700. Listed
Hampton Court Pier. Public. .primitive and exposedhttp://edithsstreets.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/the-londonsurrey-border-east-moseley.html
Hampton Court Bridge, built in 1933 by Sir Edwin Lutyens, across the Thames and designed for road traffic. It has a single concrete arch with red facing bricks and a central shield. The site of the crossing had had a ferry since the middle ages. The first bridge was built in 1752–53, and was privately owned bridge by a James Clarke. It had seven wooden arches, and was built in the design of the Willow pattern brdge. It was replaced by a more sturdy wooden structure in 1778. By 1840 it was dilapidated and the City Corporation had created Molesey Lock and Weir making navigation through the bridge dangerous. Another bridge was built in 1866, , designed by E. T. Murray with wrought iron lattice girders resting on four columns with battlemented brick walls - one of which remains on the south bank. The modern bridge is thus fourth on the site. It is Grade II listed.
Molsey Lock. built by the City Corporation in 1815 and is the second longest on the river. Beside the lock there are rollers for the transfer of small boats. It was rebuilt in the mid 1800s and again in 1905/6 and yet again in 1964/5 when the original wooden beams were removed and a new hydraulic system


Sources
Stidder.Watermills of Surrey
Penguin Book of Surrey,

Haselfoot, Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East England.
Pev Surrey
London Transport Country Walks
Stevenson. Middlesex
Walford. Village London,
London Encyclopedia
Middlexsex County Council. History of  Middlesex
Pevsner and Cherry. South London,
Headley and Meulenkamp, Follies
The Kingston Zodiac
Clunn. The Face of London
London Night and Day,
Greater London Council. Thames Guidelines,
London Transport. Wren
Middlesex Churches,
Gunpowder Mills Gazette

2 comments:

Sheena said...

East Molesey please.....not Moseley. That's near Birmingham

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sheena, it's East MOLESEY - I lived in Molesey as a boy
Les