Saturday, 26 September 2009

The London/Surrey border - Hook/Long Ditton

A square by square look at London
TQ 17 66

The London/Kingston/Surrey border follows the Tolworth Brook comes north west from two sports grounds and crosses the by pass to cut across the ends of Gladstone and Haycroft Roads. It crosses Herne Road and then turns north east across Shrewsbury Close and continues up Mandeville Drive.

The Tolworth Brook flows north and the county boundary follows its line until slightly north west of Broook Road where it turns west.

Post to the north Long Ditton
Post to the east Tolworth
Post to the south Hook

Sites on the Surrey, Elmbridge side of the border

Church Road
St.Mary. built in 1880 in a Gothic buff stone by G. E. Street. It contains 16-17th-century brasses and, in a case a pamphlet written by Richard Byfield, who was rector here in 1627- 60. He was a member of the Westminster Assembly of 1643, summoned to advise parliament on the new form of church government. There is an alabaster reredos, by Alister Maconald , 1930 with figures by Laurence Bradshaw.
Remains of the previous, 18th-century church have been made into a garden of rest.
Rectory. now pulled down.

Goat Lane
Cemetery

Kingston By Pass

Long Ditton
The Manor also had property in the City.

Love Lane
Hill Farm

South Woodstock Lane
Oaks Caravan Park

Woodstock Lane
Manor house 17th altered

This has been compiled over many years and from many different sources

No comments: