Saturday, 31 October 2009

The London/Hertfordshire boundary - Pinner Wood

TQ 10 92
The London, Hillingdon/ Hertfordshire boundary goes across Watford Road and continues going east to cross Potter Street where it meets the Harrow boundary. The London/Harrow/Hertfordshire boundary goes along South View and the southern edge of the wood.

Post to the west Northwood
Post to the east Pinner Wood



Sites on the London, Hillingdon side of the boundary

Elgood Avenue
Gate End

Gatehill Road
1 The Old Farmhouse
Willow End


Hillside Road
Monk's Rest, a 1924 Ideal Home show house by Blunden Shadbolt, who specialized in picturesque creations made up from old buildings, in this case from Old Friar's House, Horley. Now a car dealers. Locally listed
Eleventrees,
Amisto,
Willow Cottage,
Chelstan,
Balblair,
White House,
Green Island Lodge,
Pedwardine,
Highcroft,
Rivelin,
Lane End,
Heatherlaw

Seven Acres
Eleven houses built in the 1980s on land once belonging to 17th Gate House Farm. Grassed roundabout and “Tudor” style.

Shefton Rise

Wieland Road
One of a number of literary road names in the area – this is the early 19th German novelist

Woodgate Crescent


Sites on the Three Rivers, Hertfordshire side of the boundary

Oxhey Drive
Birchhanger
Reservoir


Sandy Lane
Frith Lodge Locally listed due to connection to the Eastbury Estate. Highly decorated and replaces a house called The Lodge. Built for David Carnegie.
Frith Cottage Locally listed due to connection to the Eastbury Estate. Built for David Carnegie. Remodelled in the 1950s, close-timbered walls, leaded light windows, tiled roof and brick chimneys and was originally stabling for Eastbury Estate.Sandyhurst Locally Listed. Built by Coals and Johnson 1906
Gatehouse built on the site of the Modern Gate House which was built by the Secretary of the Great Central Railway on the site of the 17th Century Gate House Farm demolished in 1905. The original Farm was built on the County boundary and an “abbey piece” relating to 13th St Albans Monks was found in the orchard.

Watford Road
Admiralty House Grade II Listed built for a Dutch patron by the architect Mervyn Macartney c1898-1899. Owned by the Ministry of Defence, it was home to Admiral Sir John Fieldhouse, Commander–in–Chief Fleet and his wife, Lady Fieldhouse. During the Falkland conflict. That Thatcher visited.
Admiralty Lodge originally named Frithwood House. Grade II Listed built for a Dutch patron by the architect Mervyn Macartney c1898-1899.
The Glade Grade II Listed building attributed to C.F.A.Voysey c1912,
Braeside. Originally called Chadderton and built 1890s. Locally Listed. It was a single building until the late 1980’s the plot was split into three and two further houses erected.Frithcote c.1900 locally listed
The White House. c.1900 locally listed


Sites on the London, Harrow side of the boundary

Park View Road
Naseby, 1927 by. Eustace Salisbury. Locally listed
Micklefield
Swaldon,
Rushey Banks,
Garth, Fairway,
Redwings,
Wellswood,
Sunder Nivas
Edgehill,
Highland,
Old Gates,
Oak House,
Cambrae


Pinner Common
The common lay either side of Pinner Hill Road,
Kiln. As early as 1767 William Bodimeade of Harrow Weald had a kiln on Pinner Common.

Potter Heights Close
Taken out of the conservation area as too boring,
During construction in 1975 a kiln was found with pots and utensils in South Herts greyware.
1-5

Potter Street Hill
One of the highest hills in London.
St John's School. Posh prep school for boys in a relationship with Merchant Taylors.
Coal post. East side at the junction with Oxhey Drive and Sandy Lane
Potter Street Hill North Pasture. A small site nature reserve with grassland over London Clay. It has the the strongest population of devil's-bit scabious in London. It is owned by the school.
125-131
Potters End,
Lee House,
Carleton Cottage,
Xanadu,
The Sloes,
Southerly Ridge,
Hunters Lodge,
Brookside,
Mickledore,
High Loaning,
Tanglewood,
Blandings,
Meadow View,
Tresanton,
La Corbiere,
Ravenswood Park

South View Road
Oakwood. 1927 by L. G. Williams
Pinner Golf Course Club house. Pinner Hill House. Tooke lived here after his father acquired it in 1845. A house had stood here from the 17th. It has originally been built after 1617 by Christopher Clitherow, Lord Mayor in 1635. He had bought the site, called Spinnels, and built a grand country house. His son inherited but his grandson’s widow sold the property in the 1680s to Sir Bartholomew Shower who also died young and the house was sold. The present house has a brick garden front, and was probably built by dates Lady Jane Brydges, who lived here from 1755. The entrance side was embellished by Tooke in 1867 in a Gothic-cum-Italianate banded brown and cream brick. Octagonal kitchen. With 18th and 19th outbuildings. Listed
Boundary Wall Listed.
Ice-house. Built of brick with a domed top with a hole. Brick floor with slight fall to yard gulley in centre with a square perforated terra-cotta grating. The Tunnel entrance is just below ground level, and ran from a demolished building – probably a clock tower. The Tunnel had a door each end and one in the middle. The bricks in the dome are pink and appear to be early 1800's and resemble those in the rear wall of the stable. The dark red bricks on the outside are similar to those found in the east wall of the kitchen garden - now the car park. The lining is denser, pale red, Victorian bricks. The floor bricks are bright red. The drain gully is probably Victorian. The ice-house could have been built in the late Georgian period, suffered some deterioration and been relined in the Victorian period.
South Winds,
Faraway,
Ashley Bank,
Beechburn,
Bankhead,
Oakwood,
Gunfleet,
Gateway,
Studio House,
Sunbeams,
Little Stafford,
Springfield,
South View Lodge,
Cornerways,
Ravelston,
Gillan,
Logis Neuf,
Little Paddock,
The Ridge,
Pilgrims Wood,
Langley,
Silverwood,
Sans Souci,
Linden House,
Highfield,
The Thatch Cottage,
The Lodge

No comments: