Sunday, 1 November 2009
The London/Hertfordshire boundary - Bushey Heath
The London/Harrow/Hertfordshire boundary goes north east across the western end of Lime Tree Walk. It crosses Heathbourne Road and goes along the northern edge of Stanmore Common.
A tributary to Tykes Water rises in this area and flows eastwards
TQ 15619 94554
Suburban area on the edge of Stanmore Common
Post to the south Bentley Priory
Post to the east Stanmore Common
Sites on the Hertfordshire, Three Rivers side of the border
Three Valleys Water works
Bushey and District Hospital. Demolished
Immanuel College. Jewish secondary school founded by Chief Rabbi Immanuel Jakobovits, Baron Jakobovits in 1990.
Rosary Priory. The Congregation of St Catherine of Siena of Newcastle - Bushey Dominican Sisters in England founded by Mother Rose Niland OP in South Africa in 1896. The Congregation was affiliated to the Order of Preachers in 1906, removing the sisters from having to be obedient to local bishops. In 1926 Mother Rose, the founder purchased Caldecote Towers in Bushey Heath, as the Congregation's Generalate. Used as a film location in ‘Dr Phibes’ and episodes of Inspector Morse and The Avengers. The towers is an eccentric building by Captain William John Marjoribanks, Later Loftus Otway and his son Jocelyn Tufton Otway owned it followed by Sir Robert Leicester Harmsworth, MP for Caithness and Sutherland, 1898 to 1902.
55, 57, 59, 61 63, 64, 65, 67, 66, 68, 70, 72, 74, 76, 78 and 80 – all of local architectural interest
Spire Hospital – private hospital, was previously BUPA.
Old Heathbourne House
Black Boy Pub. Single room, back-street pub, apparently called after children who had got dirty at work.
Sites on the London, Harrow side of the boundary
Black Boy. Web site
Clunn. Face of London
Immanuel College. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Spire Hospital. Web site
Posted by M at 22:57