Sunday, 20 December 2009

The London/Essex border - Harold Park

TQ 56 93
Boundary London/Essex/Havering .The boundary goes down the Weald Brook. This has since changed to go down the M25 to junction 11 and then turn west along the A12 to Putwell Bridge where it joins the Ingrebourne.

The River Ingrebourne and the Weald Brook meet in the area of Putwell Bridge. The Ingrebourne then flows south west

Post to the north South Weald
Post to the east Brook Street
Post to the south Harold Park

Sites on the Essex side of the border

Alder Wood

Colchester Road
Roman road from London to Colchester, turnpiked in 1726 for the Middlesex and Essex Trust.
Tollhouse for the turnpike stood near the western end of the modern Brentwood bypass.
Putwell Bridge. Built c. 1582. In the 18th century it was taken over by the Middlesex and Essex turnpike trust and was listed in 1857 as a county bridge, substantially built of brick on one segmental arch. A number of streams converge here on the Weald Brook as the main road crosses it.
Brook Street Interchange. This was first built in the 1970's as part of the Brentwood Bypass and the  old road renumbered A1023. In 1983 the M25 was built above the interchange.
.
The Grove
Grove Farm

Weald Brook

Sources
British History On Line. Brentwood
Sabre A12. Web site.

No comments: