Sunday, 20 December 2009

The London/Essex border - St.Vincent's Hamlet

TQ 55 95
The London/Havering/Essex boundary continued due east goes down the Weald Brook. More recently it just goes down the M25 motorway.

The Weald Brook flows south towards the River Ingrebourne and the Thames

Post to the north South Weald
Post to the west Havering Plain
Post to the south Weald Side


Sites on the Essex side of the border

Coxtie Green Road
Frieze Hill

St.Vincent’s Hamlet
A group of cottages for the Rochettes estate. In the 1820s the estate was the home of, and was improved by, Admiral Jervis, Earl of St.Vincent.

Weald Road
Hou Hatch. Built in the later 18th and extended in red brick in the 19th Home of Captain Smith in 1777, when it already had a park. Further landscaping carried out c. 1824 for the Willan family. Osgood Hanbury lived there c. 1863–82, of the brewing and banking family,
Wealdside. In 1788 this was a copyhold called Hoses but a central brick block was built in the later 18th. The house was bought in 1850 by the Towers and it was later the home of Sir Hubert Ashton
Tennis Courts
Birdcage cottage

Wright’s Bridge. Connected with the 17th Wright family of Kelevedon Hall. The bridge was there from the 1550s. It crosses the Weald Brook
Wrightsbridge house north west of the bridge. About 1618 this was a substantial gabled house there. The present house is brick from the early. The sundial on the front of the house is dated 1663.
Wrightsbridge Farm/Old Macdonald’s Farm.Children’s petting farm.

Wrightsbridge Road
Angel Cottages was part of the Wrightsbridge Estatge in the 17th. It is half of a late-14th timber-framed hall house. By 1707 Little Wrightsbridge was detached from the Wrightsbridge estate, and by 1744 it was the Angel public house. Sir Thomas Neave, bought the Angel in 1818 and converted it into two cottages.

No comments: