Thursday, 3 December 2009

The London/Essex boundary - Hainault

TQ 45 92
The London/ Redbridge /Essex boundary goes east until it gets to the Central Line, and then turns north up the line.

Post to the west Hainault
Post to the north Grange Hill
Post to the east Hainault

Sites on the London,Redbridge, side of the boundary

Beech Grove
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry
Site of a Second World War Italian Prisoner of War camp

Bramson Close

Chestnut Grove
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry

Covert Road
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry

Cypress Grove
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry

Dryden Close,
Houses here were bought by Hughes Co. Scientific Instrument firm for their workers
Infants school 1952-3.


Inglewood
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry

Lime Grove
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry

Forest Road
London Playing Fields
Forest Road Playing Field/Hainault Recreation Ground. Includes a skate park and cycle track
Fairlop Oak Recreation Ground. Power League Soccer Centre
Playing Field Ilford Wanderers
London Marathon Playing Fields. Was bought by The London Playing Fields Foundation From The London Postal Sports & Social Club in 2000. The London Playing Fields Foundation is the capital's only strategic body responsible for the protection, provision and promotion of playing fields. Founded in 1890 its original objectives were to safeguard playing fields from commercial development and provide sport and recreation for London's financially disadvantaged.
Fairlop Aerodrome was to the north of the road on the area of Hainault Recreation Ground and the London Playing Fields. In the First World War it was a Royal Naval Air Station Training School. In the Second World War these remained farm fields but anti tank and glider trenches were built across them

New North Road
Limehouse Playing Fields
Hainault Station. 1st May 1903. Between Fairlop and Grange Hill on the Central Line. Built by the Great Eastern Railway for main line trains. When built it was lavish for half a dozen houses but it was the nearest station to Claybury Asylum. It was on a brick arch viaduct with an entrance pavilion on the road. In 1909 the Station was closed because it was only used by a dozen people a day. It became a US army marshalling yard in 2nd World War. In May 1948 it became part of the Central Line when the east side of Grange Hill Loop opened. New island platform opened and a passimeter booking office built in to the embankment.
Hainault Rolling Stock Depot for Central Line built in the 1930s. used in the Second World War as an assembly point for rolling stock operated by the US Army Transportation Corps. Opened in the 1957 as a depot for 344 carriages.
Cottages built for the station. Semi detached garden city style.
Station masters house – detached villa with a pillared porch and large garden
Goods yard with a cattle dock. Closed in 1908 with the station.
Siding.
Hainault Depot Trainstaff Mess
Allotments
320 Maersk Logistics

Robinia Close
The only instance of tree name Robinia but maintains the general spirit of forestry

Woodman Paths
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry

No comments: