Friday, 11 December 2009

The London/Essex boundary - Havering Park

TQ 49 94
The London/Havering/Essex boundary continues due east

Post to the west Hainault Road
Post to the north Bournebridge Lane
Post to the east Havering Park
Post to the south Havering Park


Thames Tributary River Rom
The Rom continues to flow south west

Sites on the London, Havering, side of the border

Foreberry Wood North (or Foxberry)
Probably ancient Woodland. Dominated by oak with hornbeam coppice and ash. There is elm, hawthorn and hazel as well as blackthorn and holly. On the ground are bramble and ivy with bluebells. The large amount of dead wood mean the wood is full of birds and invertebrates.

Havering Park
Historic name for the area and then the name for a development area.

Lodge Lane
Park Farm. Built In 1869 by David McIntosh and it is a striking example of a model farm from the heyday of 19th farming. The buildings are grouped round a courtyard, included several large brick barns, workers' cottages, and an original engine house. buildings on the same pattern as those of Bower Farm. A connecting series of five long ranges for progressive large-scale dairy farming. This production of milk for the London market at the Havering Park estate began in the 1840s pioneered by Hall whose monument is in the church.
Cattle shed with the date 1869 and ‘McIntosh jun’ on the gable.
Cart entrances
Barn
Cart-shed open with hayloft

Osier Bed.

River Rom
The Rom flows between fairly natural banks. There are bur reeds and fool's watercress.The river supports water voles, as well as kingfisher and reed bunting.

No comments: