Thursday, 31 December 2009

The London/Essex boundary - North Ockenden

Boundary London/Essex/Havering
The boundary goes directly westwards with one small kink, along the southern boundary of Top Meadow Golf Course.

Post to the west North Ockendon
Post to the east FenFarm

The London/Essex boundary - Fen Farm

Boundary London/Essex/Havering
The boundary goes south west down the Mardyke to meet another southbound Mardyke stream. It then turns north to follow this but leaves it before reaching Fen Lane and turns westward. It travels west ward to meet Fen Lane at Fen Farm and then follows Fen Lane until it turns northwards and the boundary continues westwards

Post to the north Dunnings Lane
Post to the west North Ockendon


Sites on the Essex side of the boundary
Fen Lane
Fen Farm

The London/Essex boundary - Dunnings Lane

Boundary London/Essex/Havering
The boundary goes wiggle wiggle southwards following the Mardyke, but eventually leaves it to turn sharp eastwards then sharp south south east crossing a footpath between Dunnings Lane and Fen Lane and then crossing Fen Lane. It then turns westwards down another stream of the Mardyke.

Rural area with scattered farms

Post to the north Dunnings Lane
Post to the east Bulphan
Post to the south Fen Farm

Sites on the Essex side of the boundary

Fen  Lane
Bullens and Herds –late 17th farm house. Timber framed
Home Farm
Corner Farm B & B

Sources
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex

The London/Essex boundary - Dunnings Lane

Boundary London/Essex/Havering
The boundary follows the Mardyke.

Rural area

Post to the west Bury Farm
Post to the south Dunnings Lane
Post to the east Bulphan 

Sources

The London/Essex Boundary - Bury Farm

Boundary London/Essex/Havering
The boundary follows the Mardyke

Post to the west Dunnings Lane
Post to the north Warley Hall Lane

Sites on the London, Havering, side of the boundary


Fen Lane
Bury Farm
Upminster sewage works . The site is dominated by nettle willow herb and grass there are some trees. There are two ponds with vertical sides, and open ditches. The site forms a significant wetland used by birds, water vole, amphibians and invertebrates. Built in 1922 on Bury Farm lands where the site made it unnecessary to pump

Mardyke


Sources
London County Council, Sewage Works Leaflet

The London/Essex border - Warley Street

Boundary London/Essex/Havering
The boundary follows the Mardyke. This has now been replaced.
The boundary now runs east along the railway line until it reaches the Mardyke which it then follows southwards.

Post to the east Cranham
Post to the north Little Warley Hall
Post to the south Bury Farm

Sites on the London, Havering, side of the boundary

St.Mary’s Lane
Monks Farm
Old England. Listed

Sites on the Essex side of the boundary

Warley Hall Lane

The London/Essex boundary - Warley Street

The London, Havering/Essex, Brentwood border goes east along the railway line.

Post to the west Cranham
Post to the east Little Warley Street

Sites on the London, Havering, side of the border

St. Mary’s Lane
Puddle Dock. Site of sewage works. Fishery and farm
Nursery

Warley Street
Upminster Trading Park. This was the site of Alma Ammunition factory in the 1930's then owned by Plessey Electronics

The London/Essex border - Cranham

The London, Havering/Essex, Brentwood boundary goes southwards down the M25 motorway as far as the railway where it turns east and continues along the line.


Suburban area to the north of Upminster

Post to the north Cranham
Post to the east Warley Street
Post to the south Thames Chase Forest Centre

Sites on the London, Havering, side of the border

Cranham.
Cranham Playing Fields on the site of brickworks. Two formerly agricultural fields were added in 1949.
Cranham Brick and Tile Company works. They established clay digging and brick kilns in 1900, west of Frank's wood and north of the railway. In 1908, it became the Shenfield and Cranham Brick and Tile Co., Ltd and, seventy men were employed. The brick-earth began to run out in 1915, and the site was closed in 1920 but the buildings were not demolished until 1929. A park was proposed in 1934, and it was bull-dozed in 1946. Some bricks can still be found local gardens. Some of the area is grassland, with small scrubby fields and blackthorn hedge. There are wild flowers like birdsfoot-trefoil, knapweed and buttercup. In wet areas rushes and sedge.
Railway spur built by LTS&R about 1900, from the eastern edge of Frank's Wood to a siding to the brick works. It closed in 1920. It had its own 'Cranham Sidings' signal box.
Pond which is fed by an underground spring. This has now been done up.
Franks Wood coppiced and ancient hornbeam. With a limited shrub and bluebell, bramble, creeping grass, honeysuckle and millet plus a variety of fungi


St.Marys Lane
Westbury Farm
Franks Farm. 15th timber framed farmhouse
Franks Cottages
The Jobbers Rest. The only pub of this name in England and originally in one end of a row of cottages used as the parish workhouse. The present building dates from the 1920s.
Lichfield Terrace

Sources
Drury. History of Upminster and Cranham
Jobbers Rest. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria History of Essex

The London/Essex Boundary - Cranham

The London, Havering/ Essex, Brentwood border goes down the M25
TQ 5877088914

Rural area merging into suburbs along the M25

Post to the north Parker's Shaw
Post to the south Cranham

Sites on the London, Havering, side of the border

Bird Lane
Runs east west from Great Warley Street to Codham Hall.

Sites on the Essex side of the border

Codham Hall Lane
In the Middle Ages a north south road, called the Pilgrims Way passed by here.
Codham Hall Cottages
Codham Hall. First mentioned in 1276 belonged to the Warley Franks estate and was rebuilt in the 19th by Richard Benyon. It is a large building of yellow brick, typical of his work and it would have had a uniform trim of dark red paint. Belongs to the County Council and let into units. In the 1950s hop growing was introduced here, the only Essex site for this.
Hazle Ceramics Workshop
Latchet’s Shaw
Codham Hall Wood
The wood has a snaking boundary bank and a medieval ditch. There are five boundary pollarded trees, and another bank of unknown use.

Folkes Lane
Woodcroft Farm
Woodlands. This was previously arable fields grouped around a steep hill. From its top are vistas south over the River Thames to the North Downs
Folkes Farm the largest farmhouse in Cranham. It was in the manor of Bishop's Ockendon, and called Ffawkys Farm in 1510 after a tenant of c.1463, named Thomas Ffakys or Ffawkys. The roof-line shows how this farmhouse has been extended in several stages, mostly since 1900.
Codham Hall Wood West. The wood contains hornbeam coppice with oak. The ground flora has bramble and bluebell whole wild service-tree can be found on the bank forming the western boundary of the wood
V2 November 1944

Hobbs Hole
Ancient woodland owned by Essex County Council
This includes a massive L-shaped dam, consisting of an earthen bank 200 yards long and 55 ft wide. This was to form a lake of about 2.5 acres just below the junction of the main stream with a small side valley from the east. The valley is asymmetric and the east end of the dam rests against its steeply rising side. It was L-shaped to allow the stream to bypass the lake, when full. The dam has long been breached and it may have been built for a medieval mill or a fish-pond of Great Warley manor-house.

Sources
Essex County Council Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria History of Essex

The London/Essex Border - Parker's Shaw

Boundary London/Essex/Havering. The boundary follows the boundary of Well Wood (Coombe Wood on the other map) to Hole Farm Lane. The boundary goes south east along the boundary of a wood, crossing a path between Farm Lane and Warley Street and then intercepting and following another path along the edge of the wood and turning at Pavilion north east to Cricket Ground.
The boundary has been adjusted to run down the M25.

Post to the north Great Warley
Post to the east Warley Street
Post to the south Cranham
Post to the west Cranham Folkes Lane


Sites on the London, Havering side of the boundary

Hole Farm Lane
In the middle ages a north south road, called the Pilgrims Way passed by here.
Parkers Shaw
Cricket Ground
Hole Farm. Farmhouse. Originally a hall house. It is a small and timber-framed house of late medieval type. In the 17th a chimney and ceiling were inserted in the central room and in the 18th the house was divided into cottages. It has been modernised in the 20th.

Sunday, 20 December 2009

The London/Essexborder - Great Warley

Boundary London/Essex/Havering. The boundary follows a path going southwards to Stoneyhylls Farm. It then curves south west crossing a path and the M25 and then turns sharp south west crossing Warley Road. It follows the edge of Foxburrow Wood and then turns sharp eastwards along a path. Crosses the M25 and continues to cross Berends Lane and then continues east along the edge of Well Wood (called Coombe Wood on the other map).
The boundary has been adjusted to just run down the M25

Post to the north Boyles Court
Post to the east Grear Warley
Post to the south Cranham Folkes Lane


Sites on the Essex side of the border

Warley Road
Worm Walk Shaw. Part of Jermain’s Wood with oak and hazel and a layer of bracken and bluebell.
Jermains Wood. Ancient woodland with good flora. Ash is dominant but suffering from die-back. There is mature hornbeam coppice in the north. The ground cover includes bluebell with dog's mercury ground ivy and moschatel. There are glades in the wood and a mown ride through the centre. On the western boundary is an old woodland ditch and bank runs topped by large oaks and hornbeams and a stream runs along the southern boundary. An area in the middle of the wood has been felled. Birds include hobby and sparrowhawk.

Bridge Wood
Jacksons Wood. Ancient woodland
Tylers Wood. A small grassland hilltop and valley side sloping to a bridleway connecting across the M25. Nice views
Stoneyhylls Farm. Chicken farm.

Coombe Green
Stonehills House
Tylers Croft

Foxburrow Wood
Foxburrows

Coombe Wood

Coombe
Well Wood

The London/Essex border - Great Warley

Boundary London/Essex/Havering The boundary goes eastwards across the top of Gibblins Shaw, crosses the M25, continues along the southern boundary of a wood, Top Plantation, crosses a belt of woodland, the northern section of Jackson’s Wood, and continues on the other side of it along the southern boundary of wood. It intercepts a south bound path at the edge of the wood, which is coming from Boyle’s Court Farm, and turns south to follow the path.
Recent changes mean that the boundary having crossed the M25 north of Gibblings Shaw, turns south and continues down the Motorway.

Post to the west Harold Park
Post to the north Brook Street
Post to the east Warley Road

Sites on the Essex side of the boundary

Dark Lane
Once a green lane between Brook Street and Warley
Boyles Court. 1776, red brick. Rebuilt with wrong design in the18th. Now a remand home and assessment centre. Medieval manor house,. Rebuilt and became the home of the RC Lescher family.
Top Plantation
Tylers Shaw

Sites on the London, Havering, side of the boundary
Gibblings Shaw

The London/Essex border - Harold Park

TQ 56 93
Boundary London/Essex/Havering .The boundary goes down the Weald Brook. This has since changed to go down the M25 to junction 11 and then turn west along the A12 to Putwell Bridge where it joins the Ingrebourne.

The River Ingrebourne and the Weald Brook meet in the area of Putwell Bridge. The Ingrebourne then flows south west

Post to the north South Weald
Post to the east Brook Street
Post to the south Harold Park

Sites on the Essex side of the border

Alder Wood

Colchester Road
Roman road from London to Colchester, turnpiked in 1726 for the Middlesex and Essex Trust.
Tollhouse for the turnpike stood near the western end of the modern Brentwood bypass.
Putwell Bridge. Built c. 1582. In the 18th century it was taken over by the Middlesex and Essex turnpike trust and was listed in 1857 as a county bridge, substantially built of brick on one segmental arch. A number of streams converge here on the Weald Brook as the main road crosses it.
Brook Street Interchange. This was first built in the 1970's as part of the Brentwood Bypass and the  old road renumbered A1023. In 1983 the M25 was built above the interchange.
.
The Grove
Grove Farm

Weald Brook

Sources
British History On Line. Brentwood
Sabre A12. Web site.

The London/Essex border - South Weald

TQ 56 93
The London/Havering/Essex boundary continued down the Weald Brook

The Weald Brook flows south east towards the River Ingrebourne and the Thames. It is joined by a stream from the north east rising in the area of the chalybeate spring.

Post to the west Weald Side
Post to the south Harold Park
Post to the east South Weald

Sites on the Essex side of the border

Bennetts Farm
Front Park
Chalybeate Spring. The water was said to be chiefly “splenetic with a small impregnation of sulphur," and to have “drying and astringent quality.” It was recommended for haemorrhages.
The Oaks

The London/Essex border - Weald Side

TQ 55 94.
The London/Havering/Essex boundary goes down the Weald Brook. On later maps this has changed to going down the M25.

The Weald Brook flows south and east towards the River Ingrebourne and the Thames

Post to the west Noak Hill
Post to the east South Weald

Sites on the London,Havering, side of the border

Dagnam Park
The Osiers. Ancient woodland in private ownership
Burnt Wood. Ancient woodland in private ownership
Fir Wood

Weald Brook
This crosses under the motorway four times and is the main source branch of the River Ingrebourne. The high, steep banks are dominated by shrubs and trees with bramble, hawthorn, young sycamore and alder and there is little channel vegetation. Deer use it and there are water voles.

The London/Essex border - St.Vincent's Hamlet

TQ 55 95
The London/Havering/Essex boundary continued due east goes down the Weald Brook. More recently it just goes down the M25 motorway.

The Weald Brook flows south towards the River Ingrebourne and the Thames

Post to the north South Weald
Post to the west Havering Plain
Post to the south Weald Side


Sites on the Essex side of the border

Coxtie Green Road
Frieze Hill

St.Vincent’s Hamlet
A group of cottages for the Rochettes estate. In the 1820s the estate was the home of, and was improved by, Admiral Jervis, Earl of St.Vincent.

Weald Road
Hou Hatch. Built in the later 18th and extended in red brick in the 19th Home of Captain Smith in 1777, when it already had a park. Further landscaping carried out c. 1824 for the Willan family. Osgood Hanbury lived there c. 1863–82, of the brewing and banking family,
Wealdside. In 1788 this was a copyhold called Hoses but a central brick block was built in the later 18th. The house was bought in 1850 by the Towers and it was later the home of Sir Hubert Ashton
Tennis Courts
Birdcage cottage

Wright’s Bridge. Connected with the 17th Wright family of Kelevedon Hall. The bridge was there from the 1550s. It crosses the Weald Brook
Wrightsbridge house north west of the bridge. About 1618 this was a substantial gabled house there. The present house is brick from the early. The sundial on the front of the house is dated 1663.
Wrightsbridge Farm/Old Macdonald’s Farm.Children’s petting farm.

Wrightsbridge Road
Angel Cottages was part of the Wrightsbridge Estatge in the 17th. It is half of a late-14th timber-framed hall house. By 1707 Little Wrightsbridge was detached from the Wrightsbridge estate, and by 1744 it was the Angel public house. Sir Thomas Neave, bought the Angel in 1818 and converted it into two cottages.

The London/Essex border - Havering Plain

TQ 54 95
The London/Havering/Essex boundary continues due east Goes across the M25 north east. It then continues down the motorway. On older maps it continues north east.

Post to the north Weald Side
Post to the west Noak Hill
Post to the east St.Vincent's Hamlet
Post to the south Noak Hill


Sites on the London, Havering,side of the border

Chequers Road
Pentowen Farm


Havering Plain
In the middle ages this was Crocleph and later Havering wood. It was a 255 acre common.
Wabbings Plantation
Sevenacre Plantation
Curtis Plantation – private secondary woodland

The London Essex border - Noak Hill

TQ 53 95
The London/Havering/Essex boundary Goes north east with a blip to cross Church Road and then go along the north wall of Old Crown, it cross the path at the back and goes north alongside the north western boundary of a wood to the M25

Thames Tributary – tributary stream to the Weald Brook.
The Stream flows north east towards the Weald Brook, itself a tributary to the Ingrebourne, a tributary to the Thames

Post to the West Pyrgo Wood
Post to the north Navestock Common
Post to the eAst Havering Plain
Post to the south Noak Hill


Sites on the London, Havering side of the border

Benskins Lane
Kennels, contractors, breaches of planning control and contract killings.

Goatswood Lane
Old Crown Farm - vet
171 Greyhound Training Track.
Professional Rottweiler training establishments

Paternoster Row
Kiln at medieval pottery site
Priors Golf Course
Spice Pit Wood

Friday, 11 December 2009

The London/Essex boundary - Pyrgo Wood

TQ 51 95
The London/Havering/Essex boundary continues due east along the north of Sandpits Plantation where it meets another boundary from the north. It then turns north east

Post to the west Tysea Hill
Post to the north Watton's Green
Post to the east Noak Hill
Sites on the Essex side of the boundary

Goatswood Lane
Hope Farm, Travellers site,

Pyrgo Wood

Tysea Hill
Asheton Farm. Bought by the County Council in 1939 to save it for the green belt. Various traders there.
Skips Corner Farm

The London/Essex boundary -Tysea Hill

TQ 51 95
The London/Havering/Essex boundary continues north east crossing a path at the end of Straights Plantation. It continues east and crosses North Road. It continues through the centre of Palace Plantation.

Post to the north Tysea Hill
Post to the west Bournebrook Bridge
Post to the east Pyrgo Wood


Sites on the Essex side of the boundary

Nupers Hatch
Nupers Farm. Fish farm

Oak Hill Road
Lodge

Palace Plantation

Boylands Oak Farm

Spencers Farm

Tysea Hill
Townley Cottages
Lyngs Farm

Stapleford Common
Chapel. built for the owners of Pyrgo Park as a private chapel to the estate and in particular the Gibb family 1830. Now housing. Originally St Edwards. Built of brick with a bell cote, gothic windows

The London/Essex boundary - Havering Park

TQ 50 94
The London/Havering/Essex boundary continues due east and dips slightly southwards, to return north eastwards crossing a path, Witch Hill Plantation, and another patch of trees.

Post to the north Bournebrook Bridge
Post to the west Havering Park


Sites on the London, Havering, side of the boundary

Avenue Wood

Bower Farm Road
Bower Farm. Part of Havering Park. The original 18th Bower Farm was built on the site of the royal house But David McIntosh demolished it and built Havering Park. The name Bower Farm was transferred to a new house, built about the same time.
Bailiff’s house,
Cottage, cattle sheds now converted to stables. Coloured brick trim to the windows.
Gas house with chimney.

Havering Park
Havering Park. The dock contractor Hugh McIntosh acquired the estate in 1828. His son David McIntosh, built a substantial house c. 1850-70, Italianate which was demolished in 1925.

Havering Country Park. The extensive grounds, heavily planted by the Macintoshes, were sold off in one-acre plot lands in 1925. In 196l Essex County Council decided to implement a green policy for the area. The small plotland houses were cleared in the 1970s, by the GLC, to local protest, and the land opened as a park in 1976. Large areas of native woodland and natural acid grassland. A significant historic landscape having been royal hunting ground. Areas of native hedge and running water
Stables and estate cottage. A riding school occupies the stables a substantial U-shaped building; both with polychrome brick trim to windows.

Hilly Park

Pheasant Wood

Wellingtonia Avenue
Was the drive to Havering Park. 100 sequoia. Still runs along the high ground, with later 19th planting, now somewhat overwhelmed by later development.
Plotland plots were laid out along Wellingtonia Avenue
Park Office. A single surviving plot land bungalow

Witch Hill Plantation

The London/Essex boundary - Havering Park

TQ 49 94
The London/Havering/Essex boundary continues due east

Post to the west Hainault Road
Post to the north Bournebridge Lane
Post to the east Havering Park
Post to the south Havering Park


Thames Tributary River Rom
The Rom continues to flow south west

Sites on the London, Havering, side of the border

Foreberry Wood North (or Foxberry)
Probably ancient Woodland. Dominated by oak with hornbeam coppice and ash. There is elm, hawthorn and hazel as well as blackthorn and holly. On the ground are bramble and ivy with bluebells. The large amount of dead wood mean the wood is full of birds and invertebrates.

Havering Park
Historic name for the area and then the name for a development area.

Lodge Lane
Park Farm. Built In 1869 by David McIntosh and it is a striking example of a model farm from the heyday of 19th farming. The buildings are grouped round a courtyard, included several large brick barns, workers' cottages, and an original engine house. buildings on the same pattern as those of Bower Farm. A connecting series of five long ranges for progressive large-scale dairy farming. This production of milk for the London market at the Havering Park estate began in the 1840s pioneered by Hall whose monument is in the church.
Cattle shed with the date 1869 and ‘McIntosh jun’ on the gable.
Cart entrances
Barn
Cart-shed open with hayloft

Osier Bed.

River Rom
The Rom flows between fairly natural banks. There are bur reeds and fool's watercress.The river supports water voles, as well as kingfisher and reed bunting.

The London/Essex border - Hainault Forest

TQ 48 94
The London/Redbridge/Essex boundary goes From Cabin Hill and follows the belt of woodland where it meets the Havering Boundary
The London/Havering/Essex Boundary goes from the woodland goes due east cutting across the top of Sandhill

Post to the west Hainault Forest
Post to the north Lambourne
Post to the east Havering Park


Sites on the London side of the border

Hainault Country Park

Sandhills

Lower Sandhills. Large blocks of woodland with ash, hornbeam, oak, hazel, holly and honeysuckle. There are also planted trees such as Scots pine and common lime. The oaks have rot with nest holes, and terrestrial fungi. Birds include hobby, goldcrest, nuthatch and three woodpeckers. Large flocks of finches in winter include lesser redpoll and siskin, and crossbills.

Mile Plantation. larger block of woodland with ash, hornbeam and oak.

The London/Essex boundary - Hainault Forest

TQ 47 94
The London/Redbridge/Essex boundary goes north east across Hainault Forest to Cabin Hill

Post to the north Lambourne End
Post to the east Hainault Forest
Post to the south Hainault Forest

Sites on the London,Redbridge side of the boundary

Crabtree woods

Hainault Country Park,
That part of the Forest of Essex, east of the Roding, was owned by Barking Abbey until the Dissolution, after which the Crown took it over. This Part of the hunting forest was enclosed in 1851 and then cleared for farming. The London County Council bought Lambourne Common in 1903 and an extension to it in 1934. It has some agricultural use and there is a golf course. The 800 acres of Fox Burrows Farm and surviving woodland was preserved in 1902-5 through the efforts of Edward North Buxton, Verderer of Epping Forest. He encouraged the LCC to purchase the land, oversee its reafforestation and replanting for grass and heathland, and to open it to the public. The Park was opened in 1906

Roes Well

Sheep Water

Weddrells’ Plain. Boulder Clay filled with flint and chalk indicates where the last glacier stopped advancing, just north of London, during the last Ice Age
Cabin Plain. High point in the Forest, with the acidic grassland of formed of Bagshot Beds – a cap of gravelly sand deposited by shallow seas. Opening ceremony here on Saturday 21 July 1906, with crowds to see the Earl of Carrington, president of the Board of Agriculture, declared the new Forest officially open. First World War hutments

Sites on the Essex side of the border

Manor Road
Coal post. North side outside Sheepcotes
Sheepcoats

The London/Essex boundary - Hainault

TQ 43 96
The London/ Redbridge /Essex boundary goes east parallel with Hainault Way and Brocket Way but turns south east at Romford Road and follows the road to a site and turns north east at that point
Thames Tributary Seven Kings Water flows south west on the line of Peregrine Road

Post to the west Grange Hill
Post to the east Hainault
Post to the south Hainault

Sites on the London, Redbridge side of the boundary

Agister Road
Maintains the general spirit of forestry terms. An agister was appointed by the king to settle claims regarding cattle pasture and pigs searching for acorns.

Brocket Way
Houses of the sort most common on the Hainault Estate. Steel-frames with pressed-steel-sheet cladding on the upper floors. Many are largely intact, and retain much of the original colouring introduced to avoid monotony. But some are reclad in brick.

Falconer Road

Fowler Road

Hainault Estate
Built by the London County Council in the mid-1940s. The land was bought in 1943for an 'out-county' cottage estate with permanent prefabricated construction favoured in the late 1940s. Development went ahead in 1947-53, by the Valuer's Department under Cyril Walker – but before the radical work of the council's architects in the 1950s although it is more thought out than Becontree. Simple planning, with parallel roads curving over the contours of the site, with street names relating to Hainault Forest's history. There was an industrial area and a mixture of housing was planned to encourage higher income families to the

Huntsman Road
Hainault Forest High School was previously Kingswood Secondary School, by Yorke, Rosenberg Mardall, 1951, a typical design with lots of friendly detail. Two-storey teaching block and offices either side of a hall, divided by mosaic-clad columns. Geometric- tiles by Peggy Angus. The Assembly Hall and Dining Hall are at a higher level with steel roof trusses with wavy bracing. Chimney with drum water tower faced in blue mosaic.

Manford Way
Shopping centre begun in 1949, close to the church and community centres. Designed to accommodate large 'multiples' and small stores with flats and maisonettes above. Light-brown glazed tiling.
Coppice Primary School

New North Road
Water works and reservoir

Peregrine Road
This runs parallel to Seven Kings Water

Roebuck Road

Verderers Road
Maintains the general spirit of forestry terms. A verderer was a forest official mainly concerned with the timber, but in some forests he had the power of trying minor offences;

Thursday, 3 December 2009

The London/Essex boundary - Grange Hill

TQ 93 46
The London/ Redbridge /Essex boundary follows the railway line north and then turns north east up Lambourne Road. At a school boundary it turns south, then east on the school boundary, skirts the northern end of Brock Close and continues north of Hainault Way.

Post to the west Grange Hill
Post to the north Chigwell Row
Post to the east Hainault
Post to the south Hainault

Sites on the Essex side of the border

Arrowsmith Road

Boar Close

Crossbow Road

Fallow Close

Fletcher Road

Harbourer Close

Harbourer Road

Hart Crescent

Hind Close

Lambourne Road

Manford Way
Manford Way Primary School, a design of 1948 by Harold Conoly the Essex County Architect, set back behind a lawn. It has a tower at the junction of the single-storey classroom block, open to the playground on the side, offices and the separate nursery with its own garden at the end
Grange Secondary School
The Assumption, R.C., is of 1952-3 by D. J. Buries, red brick, redone in the early 1980s

Manor Road
Railway LineLeaving Grange Hill station the line runs on an embankment.

Regarder Road

Sites on the Essex side of the border

Fairview
Chigwell. Mineral spring from the 18th

Wood View
Wells Park School and Training Centre

The London/Essex boundary - Hainault

TQ 45 92
The London/ Redbridge /Essex boundary goes east until it gets to the Central Line, and then turns north up the line.

Post to the west Hainault
Post to the north Grange Hill
Post to the east Hainault

Sites on the London,Redbridge, side of the boundary

Beech Grove
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry
Site of a Second World War Italian Prisoner of War camp

Bramson Close

Chestnut Grove
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry

Covert Road
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry

Cypress Grove
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry

Dryden Close,
Houses here were bought by Hughes Co. Scientific Instrument firm for their workers
Infants school 1952-3.


Inglewood
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry

Lime Grove
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry

Forest Road
London Playing Fields
Forest Road Playing Field/Hainault Recreation Ground. Includes a skate park and cycle track
Fairlop Oak Recreation Ground. Power League Soccer Centre
Playing Field Ilford Wanderers
London Marathon Playing Fields. Was bought by The London Playing Fields Foundation From The London Postal Sports & Social Club in 2000. The London Playing Fields Foundation is the capital's only strategic body responsible for the protection, provision and promotion of playing fields. Founded in 1890 its original objectives were to safeguard playing fields from commercial development and provide sport and recreation for London's financially disadvantaged.
Fairlop Aerodrome was to the north of the road on the area of Hainault Recreation Ground and the London Playing Fields. In the First World War it was a Royal Naval Air Station Training School. In the Second World War these remained farm fields but anti tank and glider trenches were built across them

New North Road
Limehouse Playing Fields
Hainault Station. 1st May 1903. Between Fairlop and Grange Hill on the Central Line. Built by the Great Eastern Railway for main line trains. When built it was lavish for half a dozen houses but it was the nearest station to Claybury Asylum. It was on a brick arch viaduct with an entrance pavilion on the road. In 1909 the Station was closed because it was only used by a dozen people a day. It became a US army marshalling yard in 2nd World War. In May 1948 it became part of the Central Line when the east side of Grange Hill Loop opened. New island platform opened and a passimeter booking office built in to the embankment.
Hainault Rolling Stock Depot for Central Line built in the 1930s. used in the Second World War as an assembly point for rolling stock operated by the US Army Transportation Corps. Opened in the 1957 as a depot for 344 carriages.
Cottages built for the station. Semi detached garden city style.
Station masters house – detached villa with a pillared porch and large garden
Goods yard with a cattle dock. Closed in 1908 with the station.
Siding.
Hainault Depot Trainstaff Mess
Allotments
320 Maersk Logistics

Robinia Close
The only instance of tree name Robinia but maintains the general spirit of forestry

Woodman Paths
Street name maintains the general spirit of forestry

The London/Essex boundary - Hainault

TQ 44 92
The London/ Redbridge /Essex boundary goes east south of Bracken Drive and Murtwell Drive. It crosses Fencepiece Road and turns south east along the northern end of Brookside. It then follows to the rear the V shape of Limes Avenue and Copper Avenue

Post to the west Claybury
Post to the north Grange Hill
Post to the east Hainault

Sites on the London, Redbridge side of the boundary
Anne Way
One of a large group of Tudor road names here
Aragon Drive
One of a large group of Tudor road names here
Boleyn Way
One of a large group of Tudor road names here
Brunswick Gardens,
Appears to be an intruder among a large group of Tudor road names here
Cardinal Drive
One of a large group of Tudor road names here
Cleeves Walk.
One of a large group of Tudor road names here
Franklyn Gardens
Baptist Church. Hainault Baptist church started in 1938. During the war meetings were held in the pavilion of a playing field and then in the home of a member. A tent mission resulted in a large increase in membership, a minister was appointed, and in 1948 a church was built
Hanover Gardens
Appears to be an intruder among a large group of Tudor road names here
Katherine Gardens
One of a large group of Tudor road names here
Montfort Gardens
Appears to be an intruder among a large group of Tudor road names here
Shakespeare Square
One of a large group of Tudor road names here
Tudor Crescent
One of a large group of Tudor road names here
Wolsey Gardens
One of a large group of Tudor road names here
Sites on the Essex side of the boundary
Copperfield
Limes Farm Estate managed by Epping District Council. Previously camp for American soldiers
Fencepiece Road
St Francis of Assisi 1956 by J.J. Crowt. Brick. The distinguishing feature is the tower with broad offsets, which create a spreading structure; it contains a balcony. Low aisles. New Fairlop Oak. Wetherspoons pub 107Old Maypole Pub
Limes Avenue
Limes Farm Estate managed by Epping District Council

The London/Essex border - Claybury

The London/ Redbridge /Essex boundary goes east across the drive to the hospital from Manor Road. And goes south east along the northern boundary of the site and then crosses Tomswood Road. It then turns north east to run south of Bracken Drive.
TQ 42922 91332

New housing on the site of a vast old mental hospital dramatically sited among hill top woodland

Post to the west Woodford Bridge
Post to the north Chigwell
Post to the east Hainault


Sites on the London, Redbridge, side of the boundary

Claybury
The land rises from the Thames to a height of about 230 ft. near Claybury
Marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1883, earlier ‘Le Clayberye’ 1270, ‘Cleyberye’ 1566, from Old English. The area is now usually known as ‘Clay Hall’. Both names come from the de la Clay family. The original estate of Claybury was near Woodford Bridge and was owned by Barking Abbey. In 1401 the tenant was John Malmaynes and in 1652-it was held by Alderman John Fowke, Lord Mayor of London. Hester Goodere was farming here in 1669. In 1887 William J. Rous sold it to the Justices of the County of Middlesex, for a ‘lunatic asylum’ here. In 1889 it passed to the London County Council, which completed the buildings by 1893 and ran it until 1948, when the National Health Service transferred it to the North East Metropolitan Hospital Board. In the 13th Claybury was probably the same area which still paid tithes was tithes to Ilford Hospital in 1847. It had remained the same size in the 17th and 18th, but was extended in the early 19th. By 1847 it consisted of 440 acres. Including Tomswood Farm, woodlands and Tilekiln to the south.
Roman Road a road led from the River Lea crossing at Old Ford in a straight line through Chigwell, joining Stane Street at Dunmow. Roding Lane North lies on this route and it has been confoirmed that the Road passed through the Claybury estate
Claybury Wood . Nature reserve. Ancient woodland on the southern slopes of Tomswood Hill. It was probably an enclosed woodland made up of hornbeam coppice which has kept an interesting ground flora. It can be seen as a small remnant of Hainault Forest. Peripheral acid grassland areas contain some heather. There are a few Turkey oaks and conifers but most of the woodland trees are native with a canopy of hornbeam and oak plus wild service. In the woodland there are bluebells and wild garlic in the spring, as well as dog's mercury and wood anemone. Forster’s woodrush grows in the centre of the woods (identified by a local naturalist called Forster), as does butcher's broom. Birds include linnet, nuthatch and bullfinch and there is a population of several uncommon hoverflies, with one at its only known London site. Mammals include the rare yellow-necked mouse.

Culpeper Close
One of a large group of Tudor road names here

Manor Road.
Repton Park. Estate with three layers of history. The park belonged to Claybury Hall, which dates from c. 1790. Humphrey Repton advised on the grounds, one of his many jobs in the area around his home at Hare Street, Romford. He praises the 'profusely beautiful situation' in his Red Book. A century later it was developed for Claybury Asylum,
Stables became derelict and demolished in the 1960s. Car park on the area
Claybury Asylum. a mental hospital designed by G.T. Hine in 1887-8, originally for the county of Middlesex, but taken over by the newly formed London County Council. It was designed as a self sufficient community. It was built in 1890-3, on the flattened-out summit of the hill, north of the 18th house, which was used for private patients. The new buildings were on an echelon plan, the first of many such plans used for mental asylums. It was designed for 800 men and 1,200 women and was the first built for large numbers, although the sexes and types of patient were strictly segregated. It had its own laundry, farm and workshops, and was entirely lit by electricity. By the later 20th such institutions were out of fashion and it closed in 1996. The site was developed for housing by Crest Nicholson, 2000-3, converting some of the existing buildings and adding others.
The Manor. A range of apartments, laid out on a curve, by Ripley Homes, 2001.
Hospital. The echelon plan is still visible and had been respected by the new development, which has used many of the buildings. Originally it faced south approached by a perimeter road which ran from the entrance on Manor Road. The main access is now along a formal avenue on the site of the service buildings.
Water Tower. massive with Gothic detail at the top
Recreational Hall. Has a new entrance. This building reflects the late 19th concern at to provide amenities for mental patients. It is in a free Jacobean style, with panelling, a frieze, and a barrel-vaulted elliptical ceiling and plaster panels decorated with geometric panels. It has an ornate proscenium arch with a bust of Shakespeare above. A mezzanine for a gym has been inserted into part of the hall.
Chapel. Turned into a swimming pool. Red brick, with stone dressings. Decorated window tracery and a Side turret with stone spire.
Villas. The bay-windowed villas flanking the chapel were for the Medical Superintendent and Administration
Airing kiosks were provided for each ward and some remain in the new scheme
Apartments. Accommodation for the inmates has been converted to flats. They are in red brick clusters of three-storey blocks designed to provide mainly south facing rooms. The ends of each block have a tower. The lower blocks accommodated epileptic and chronic patients.
Private housing has been built along the centre tree-lined boulevard using similar materials to the original buildings but smartened by stuccoed ground floors. In the leafier outer areas are less formal groups.
Hospital Hill Wood. Mature oaks and black poplars. In many trees were planted when the estate was managed by the hospital. Sweet chestnut, red oak and Norway maple are non-native and Sweet chestnut develops a twisted bark as it ages, has large toothed leaves and produces an edible nut in the autumn. The hospital referred to in the name is the Ilford institution which took the income from the estate.
Ponds for drainage from a new housing development to the east of the park
Farm pond used by smooth newt and common frog as a breeding site.
Housing on the site of old farm buildings
Cocked Hat Plantation. This is a remnant section of a medieval lane – noire correctly named ‘Clayhooks’. The missing section was originally connected to Roding Lane, just south of the Woodford Avenue. There are the remains of a bank and ditch each side of the lane. There is a large oak on the boundary marked when the wood was divided between owners. There is the remains of an ancient hedgerow, the southern boundary to the wood and on the other side of the lane the bank typical of ancient lanes.
Main path is Repton’s Carriageway intended to the circular.
Orchard with a great variety of apples, pears and damsons and it is the last known breeding site of Turtle Doves at Claybury.

Nonsuch Close
One of a large group of Tudor road names here

Tower Close
One of a large group of Tudor road names here

Sites on the Essex side of the border

Stradbrooke Park Green

Sources
Lost Hospitals. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. East London
Victoria County History,. Essex

The London/Essex border - Woodford Bridge

TQ 42 92
The London/ Redbridge /Essex boundary has crossed Chigwell Road going south east and then crosses Manor Road and then turns east.

Thames Tributary River Roding
The Roding flows southwards

Post to the west Woodford Bridge
Post to the north Woodford Bridge
Post to the east Claybury

Sites on the London, Redbridge, side of the boundary

Ashton Playing Fields
Ashton Park. Playing fields of 50 acres administered by a trust. It is close to the river and made after draining the water meadows, It has a with pavilion and community centre built in 1937 with a modern design by Herbert Welch of simple rendered walls, and low wings. It was given by H.S. Ashton of Ingatestone 'to encourage the right use of leisure'- as is noted on a lettered tablet. A matching tablet records his death in 1943 and that of his son in 1942. The track was built in 1973 and was the first synthetic one in Essex. It originally had a Rubkor surface which replaced a cinder track which was to the side of the current one and had to be demolished in 1973 due to the building of the M11. One of the straights of the cinder track is still part visible.

Chigwell Road
The village centre is around the lower green at the junction with Manor Road.
Terraces Two-storey Victorian, dated 1867- 8,
Shopping terrace Victorian with Gothic upper windows.
White Hart, a coaching inn rebuilt c. 1900, quite an elaborate half-timbered effort with three gables.
637-641, 643, 645 647-9. – A row of older cottages much altered. With central stacks

Green
Church Hall. Built in 1860 as school and schoolhouse in red brick
Council houses. Pleasant gabled pairs
Thurlby House, now flats, the cream-stucco exterior hides a complicated history. The central section is probably late 18th in origin with new windows and porch, added in the early 19th and then a Victorian service wing. The entrance hall has elegant stairs. It was used as a branch library and also by Dr. Barnados pre- Second World War. There is a little graveyard in the grounds.

Manor Road
St Paul’s Church. Set on a sloping green. Built 1853-4 by Charles Ainslie but damaged by fire in 1880 and restored by W.G. Bartleet & Son in 1886. It is a Gothic church built of ragstone. It has a tower porch and a steeple with broach spire. War Memorial with a figure of St George, 1920. 19th stained glass and a roundel in clear glass, the border with tiny animals; 1987 by Alan Younger.
Prince Regent Hotel. Gwynne house. Rebuilt on site of medieval Guynes Manor. 1816. for Henry Burmester by J.B. Papworth. It has a neoclassical front; and a Doric porch. The interior was changed c. 1980 for hotel use, but the curving top-lit stair still had its stick balusters which are typical of c. 1800. The garden front has a trellis porch. It was used as a centre for Dr. Barnardo's Homes from 1910 to the 1970s. Then this substantial hotel extension was added by the John Brunton Partnership, on a curve, brick with slated roof, with car park below. It forms a link to the former Barnardo's chapel which is now hotel bedrooms. This chapel dates from 1932 by W.H. Godfrey, a long brick building... The grounds were built up with cottage homes for boys, now replaced by housing known as Gwynne Park
Police Station, in the fork of Chigwell Road and Manor Road, 1900 by J. Dixon Butler, small but carefully detailed, brick with stone dressings to the ground floor bay; upper floor corbelled out, tall chimneys. The entrance has been moved. Tiny outbuilding behind
The Cottages, opposite the pond, a pair with hipped roof, pastel-blue-painted weatherboarding, and two tiny bay windows, so immaculate that they appear pastiche.
Guide Dogs London Centre, built on part of the Barnardo's site in 1984-6 by Hanson Rowe & Partners, is a dark brick cluster, discreetly set back.
Crown and Crooked Billet the top of the green, the mansard-roofed, late c18 in origin.
Claybury Hall. Rebuilt 1790-1 by Jesse Gibson for James Hatch on a bluff at the end of the estate, with a spectacular view. Built of white brick from Woolpit, Suffolk. Simple entrance front with parapet and porch with paired columns. The entrance was moved to the front on Repton's advice. The garden front has a bow window surrounded by a colonnade of columns. The interior, damaged in a fire, was restored in 2002. There is a stone staircase, near the bottom of which is a bell, dated 1785, suspended from a wooden frame. The stable block, only part of which was still standing in 1964, was similar in style and date to the house. In 1791 Hatch commissioned Humphrey Repton to advise him on replanning the park

Roding Lane North
Finch House, 18th

Woodford Bridge,
Long history of aggravation and floods. 1962 widened and County Council previously turnpiked. Oldest area of Woodford. Area of bridge over Roding from Abridge

The London/Essex border - Woodford Bridge

TQ 93 42
The London/Waltham Forest/Essex boundary crosses the Roding and the M11 going south east. It then follows a water channel at the backs of houses and crosses Chigwell Road
Thames Tributary River Roding - the Roding flows south and west

Post to the west Roding Valley
Post to the north Chigwell
Post to the east Chigwell
Post to the south Woodford Bridge

Sites on the London, Redbridge, side of the border

Ashton Playing Fields
The grounds were named after Mr. H.S. Ashton of Ingatestone who put up most of the money.

Sites on the Essex side of the border

Chigwell Road
735 Three Jolly Wheelers. Late 19th inn at the borough boundary. It is red brick with a rendered ground floor and Norman Shaw-like end. , It originally relied heavily on the tourist trade and used to hire out horses and traps to day-trippers going to Epping Forest.
Hill House

High Road
West Hatch High School. The school has 1,300 students from the local area and 200 sixth form pupils from a wider catchment. It was guilt in 1957 as West Hatch Technical High School.

Luxborough Lane
Tip and recycling depot
Chigwell Sewage Works

West Hatch
The western gate, or hatch, into Epping Forest.

The London/Essex border - Roding Valley

TQ 41 93
The London/Waltham Forest/Essex boundary comes south east and crosses Farm Way, going between Farm Way and Beresford Drive. It crosses Kings Avenue, and the Railway where it turns north and follows the railway northwards
The London/Waltham Forest/Essex boundary comes south down the Roding and then, south of the sewage works, turns east
These boundaries have been subject to change

The river Roding continues to flow south

Post to the north Buckhurst Hill
Post to the east Woodford Bridge
Post to the south Woodford Bridge



Sites on the Essex side of the border

Farm Way
159 Little Monkhams. Burnt down the day before it went to Planning Committee

Railway
Loughton Junction. Line built to Loughton in 1856. Fairlop Loop joined to it in 1903 from Ilford.
From here on the line to Chigwell a double track curves east on a high embankment across the Roding Valley,

Station Way
Roding Valley Station. 3rd February 1936. Between Chigwell and Woodford on the Central Line. Built by the London North East Railway and opened following agitation from local people. Only very simple shelters and an iron footbridge In Station Way and Cherry Tree Rise. Originally named ‘Roding Valley Halt’. In 1948 became part of the Central Line, LT. least used station on the underground.
James Wright . site of his artificial stone manufactory which he learnt about in Venice.
Monkham’s Inn. Huge, pub tries to offer something for everyone and, by and large, succeeds.

Sites on the London, Redbridge, side of the border

Ray Park
Rayhouse. Was never a manor, and until the 19th it was a copyhold tenement. At the beginning of the 18th the Cleland family owned it and by 1770 it was owned by Sir James Wright, British minister at Venice, who lived in the two-storey five-bay brick mansion. In 1793 he started to build Ray Lodge, near Ray House, for his son George, employing as architect John Papworth, and then aged only 18. George Wright. Ray House was rebuilt after a fire at the turn of the century and was sold in 1924 to Bryant & May Ltd. as a country club and sports ground. In 1958 it was sold to the borough council and became a public park. The estate was originally by the river and a 16th reference shows that it covered both banks by 'Reyhouse-brygge'. Ray Lodge has disappeared and all that survives of the 18th-century Ray House is its octagonal walled garden at the north end of Ray Park, still used as a plant nursery. The name of Ray Lodge is preserved in Ray Lodge Road and Ray Lodge Close. Ray Park, the gas works, and the Ashton playing fields now cover most of the rest of the area. It is close to the noisy M11.
Ray House nearby, now pathetic and disused, was much rebuilt in the early c20 after a fire, burnt in 1876, and used from 1924-58 as Bryant & May's sports club sold to Borough in 1958,. The three-bay front looks early c19: castellated, faced in Roman cement, with canted bay windows; another projecting bay. Plain parts behind, with stables and service wing.
Ray Lodge Within the grounds, now demolished. Built 1796-7,

The London/Essex border - Buckhurst Hill

The London/Waltham Forest/Essex boundary comes south east down Monkhams Lane to Farm Way.
TQ 41761 94283

Post to the west Buckhurst Hill
Post to the east Chigwell
Post to the south Roding Valley

Residential area to the south of Loughton.


Sites on the Essex side of the border

Albert Road
Prince of Wales
St.Stephen’s Church. Mission church built as a chapel of ease to St. John's in 1876

Alfred Road
Mission. Built as a Baptist Mission in 1863. Stock brick building used by the Salvation Army

Buckhurst Hill
Bocherst 1135 means 'wooded hill growing with beeches', from Old English and it lies in Essex just to the north of Woodford.

Farm Close
Monkhams Farm in 1839 included 178 acres and was let by James Mills to William Death. It farm survived until 1936, when it was broken up for building. The house was demolished but it stood at the south-west corner of Lords Bushes.

Lords Bushes
Isolated part of Epping Forest secured for the public in 1878. 90 acres.
Steam tram trial held 1873.

Monkhams
Monkham's. names preserving the old name ‘Munckombe’ 1630, ‘Monkham’ 1805, ‘Monkhams’ 1843, earlier ‘Monekenebukhurst’ 1286,’ Monnekenhyll alias Monkhyll 1547’, that is "part of Buckhurst belonging to the monks' and 'hill of the monks', from Middle English, with reference to its early possession by the monks of Stratford Langthome Abbey. Thus, ‘Munckombe’ and ‘Monkham’ represent simply an alteration of the first part of the original names
Monkhams estate, owned by Henry Ford Barclay from 1864-91, was built up with cosy half-timbered houses from 1903; the house was demolished in 1930. The manor of Monkhams was a small estate extending into Chigwell By 1640 the name 'Monkham' was used for some of the woodland between Sakes Lane and the parish boundary, but the original estate probably included land in Buckhurst Hill Monkham Farm was bought by George Brown and Monkham House, leased since 1795 to Mrs. Pearse. Brice Pearse continued to build up the estate and. In 1814 he acquired Monkham Farm various fields near Snakes Lane. About 1820 he bought from John Hall a large mansion and other property which to enabled him to consolidate estate which by 1838 comprised the mansion, renamed Monkham House, Monkham farm-house, the 'old farm-house', and pasture. He died in 1842, (fn. 105) and in 1864 it was sold to Henry Ford Barclay. In 1892, Arnold F. Hills purchased the estate for £36,350, when it consisted of woodland, divided into Knighton wood, Bristow's wood, and Pea Field wood. James Robert Twentyman bought the estate in 1903, and began to sell building plots. Before 1914 the southern part of the estate had been laid out and, after Twentyman's death in 1928, his trustees disposed of the remainder for development. The name Monkhams has been given to an avenue, a drive, and a lane in the area.

Palmerston Road
Langton House
King’s Place Congregational Church

Prince’s Road
54 Three Colts. Carriage way called King’s Place. Old building with gnarled beams, an eccentric layout and plenty of character
9 the former bailiff's house, c. 1845, stock brick in Regency style, with broad sash windows, a canted bay, and a wide door with arched fanlight.
British Queen
School

Queens Road
Buckhurst Hill Library

Stradbroke Grove,
4 Secluded garden, on a sloping site. . Steps to a pergola, and a rose-screened vegetable and fruit garden. Central gravelled area with grasses, shells, pots and succulents.

Station Way
Buckhurst Hill station. 22nd August 1856. Between Woodford and Loughton on the Central Line. 1856 Opened by the Eastern Counties Railway. The Station house survives. In 1865 it was resited in 1892 the entrance was moved and most of the station dates from this period when it was moved north of Queens Road. In 1940 a new station was opened. In 1948 it became part of the electrified Central Line
Goods Yard closed 1964.

Westbury Lane
Pre 19th lane leading from the 'Bald Faced Stag' to Langford’s
6 cottage-type garden with roses, and perennials. There is a pond, a lawn, winding paths, borders, fruit trees and roses, geraniums and lilies. .

Sources
British History. Online Web site
Day. London Underground
St.Stephen's. Web site

The London/Essex border - Buckhurst Hill

The London/Waltham Forest/Essex boundary comes south east from Brook Road and goes down Tuttlebee Lane to cross Epping New Road. It continues down Beech Lane, crosses Woodford High Road and continues on the same trajectory across Knighton’s Green and Knighton’s lane, down Monkham’s Lane.
TQ 40540 93824

A series of greens and pubs on the old A11 road out of London into Essex

Post to the north Buckhurst Hill
Post to the east Buckhurst Hill
Post to the west Friday Hill

Sites on the London, Redbridge side of the border

Brook Road
Rigg’s Retreat. Tea house and other refreshments. Owned by a Mr. Riggs – but there seem to be other sites with the same name,
The Birkbeck. Grassland meadow area cut for hay.

Epping New Road
Road built by MacAdam in 1834 across Fairmead Bottom
Lodge House. This was the lodge to Knighton House, home of Edward North Buxton, a leading campaigner for Epping Forest and it is consciously picturesque who in 1866 had the main road moved away from his house. It is at the comer of The Glade opposite Bancroft's School, a thatched cottage, busily detailed with half-timbered gables, latticed windows and diagonal chimneystacks
Reid’s Forest

Knighton Wood
Knighton Wood. Bought by Corporation of London from Buxton Estate in 1930 and added to Epping Forest. Remains of the gardens of Knighton House. Pond – man made.Pulpit Oak ancient tree on the boundary of Epping Forest District and the London Borough of Redbridge. It is thought to have been a rallying point for commoners to fight (eventually unsuccessfully) against attempts by Lords to enclose Knighton Wood – in 1572, 1670 and 1781.rhododendron bushes planted when part of the woodland was owned by the on Buxton family.

Woodford Green
Bancroft's School. Built 1889 and designed by A. W Blomfield in ‘collegiate Tudor on a grand scale. The school was originally in the Mile End Road and was part of a foundation from the bequest of Francis Bancroft in 1728 for an almshouse and school for 100 boys, with the Drapers' Company as Trustees. The original buildings were replaced by the People's Palace. The Woodford building is red brick with stone dressings plus a gatehouse tower, accessed by a spiral stair, with corner turrets. The classroom range includes cloister with a quadrangle, dining hall and assembly hall, which is now a Library. Above the entrance arch is a stone inscription and coat of arms rescued from Bancroft's tomb in St Helen, Bishopsgate. There is a War Memorial in the centre of the quadrangle, 1920, by Sir Reginald Blomfield with iron gates added in 1950. Later additions are rather cramped settings. There is an Assembly Hall from 1937 by E.N. Clifton with a cloister leading to 1960s classrooms; plus a gym and swimming pool built in 1972. The Art rooms are 1987the science block 1910. Across the playing fields is a 1990s Prep School with hall and classrooms. The chapel is long, narrow and is bleak with stained glass window of the Ascension across commemorating John Edward Symns, headmaster 1889-1906. The library in the original assembly hall has an open-timber roof combining arch braces, scissor braces and hammer beams with pendants. There is another timber roof in the computer room.
Headmaster's House, Tudor domestic style

Woodland Way
A typical road on the Knighton estate, developed from 1931 with spacious houses on the woodland edge

Sites on the Essex side of the border
Fairlands Avenue
Fairlands

High Road
Buckhurst Gate, housing on the site of a Reservoir of the East London Water Co., water tower, 1879, 70,000 galls. 328’ above OD.
Bald Faced Stag. Pub. Until 1853 the Epping stag hunt used to start on Easter Monday from here. This custom commemorated a time when the citizens of London had their common huntsman and claimed the privilege granted them by Edward IV of hunting in Waltham Forest. The Lord Mayor and Aldermen always attended it, but after the forest near Buckhurst Hill was enclosed the hunt finished,
Roebuck Hotel. Closed. 18th building tarted up.
Holly House Hospital. Private hospital.

Knighton Lane
Buckhurst Hill House

Monkhams Lane
An ancient trackway following the Anglo-Saxon boundary between the Manors of Chigwell and Woodford, running between Lords Bushes and Knighton Wood. It is the area’s oldest path and up to the 1960s it was a legal right of way for carts and motors.

Tuttlebee Lane
School

Sources
Bald Faced Stagg. Web site
Bancroft School. Web site
Metropolitan Water Board. History
Victoria County History. Essex

The London/Essex border -Buckhurst Hill

The London/Waltham Forest/Essex boundary goes south to cross Rangers Road from Epping Forest. It follows the stream from Connaught Water to meet the Redbridge boundary at Whitehall Plain.
The London/Redbridge.Essex boundary goes south west down Whitehall Plain to cross Brook Road
The River Ching flows south and west
TQ 40611 94127

As the old A11 climbs out of London into Essex, it widens and there is more green space

Post to the north Epping Forest
Post to the south Buckhurst Hill
Post to the west Chingford


Sites on the Essex side of the boundary

Church Road
St John the Baptist. The parish church built in 1837 as a chapel of ease. In the following year it became a separate ecclesiastical district. It has a nave, chancel, aisles, north porch, and tower with pinnacles and spire and has been enlarged. It is a stone building in the Early English style.
St.John’s Church of England School
Rectory – demolished and replaced by Glebe House in the church grounds.

Epping New Road
Albany House
Warren Wood House. Rough pub
Oak Hall
The Reindeer

Hills Road

Manor Road
Holmehurst

Whitehall Plain

The Ching

Sources
St.John the Baptist. Web site
Victoria History of Essex