Monday, 25 January 2010

Shuttle and Wyncham Stream flowing to Shuttle. Half Way Street

Thames Tributary – Wyncham Stream
The stream flows north towards the Shuttle and joins it at Hollyoak Wood

Post to the north Blackfen
Post to the west New Eltham
Post to the east Lamorbey


Berwick Crescent
8-10 V2 rockets struck on 8 February, 1945 at 5.40pm exploding in front gardens. The blast destroyed a dozen houses and led to seven deaths and to 110 injured.
The River Shuttle is along the roadside with bankside plants including reeds and garden plants, planted by local residents

Beverley Wood
Beverley Wood. A pleasant narrow belt of woodland, alongside the Wyncham Stream. It is fairly wet and consists mainly of crack willow

Braundton Avenue
Houses built in the 1930s as part of a planned development that included these parallel avenues, - the other is Willersley Avenue. Built by H. Smith and Co. of Avery Hill Road, as part of Smith’s Hollies Estate, the planning were submitted in March 1932 and most houses are built in a chalet style
1-64 a typical 1930s chalet style suburban estate.
62 - 64 date from the late 1930s and are built in a restrained moderne style.

Brookend Road
Road name associated with the Wyncham Stream and the River Shuttle

Brooklands Road,
Road name associated with the Wyncham Stream and the River Shuttle

Days Lane
Days Lane was a cart track crossed by a stream in a ditch,
Days Lane Farm, as old as 1660. Also known as Elms Farm.
Child's Nursery was next to the farm
Mission room for Lamorbey church. Was opposite Days Farm
Church of the Holy Redeemer. A small church built 1933, set back from the road. The exterior, in art deco style, with a concrete porch and belfry. The concrete sanctuary arch leads down into twin concrete recesses which serve as pulpit and lectern. Series of curved concrete ribs are continued down to the ground as buttresses - pierced to give the impression of flying buttresses. There is a curved concrete altar-rail, and a small stone Norman moulding from Rochester Cathedral. Painting of The Adoration of the Lamb' by Kenneth Hayes 1986.
Hollyoak Wood Park. A small clump of ancient woodland, where the Wyncham Stream joins the River Shuttle. The River Shuttle is in concrete channels here, with steep sides and railings. It is open grassland with some woodland with coppiced alder. On the ground are brambles, bluebells, violets, meadowsweet, wood-sedge, dog's-mercury, wood anemone and St John's-wort. The area was once a royal hunting ground. In the early 19th it was called ‘oak wood’ and was owned by farmer Thomas Lewin. During World War II it was all allotments.
Days Lane Baptist Church. 1966 church with a long roof swooping down with curled up eaves.

Hollies Estate
Marrowbone Hall. Tudor House which was Home of the Lewin family. Demolished before 1850. It was probably a farmhouse in the early 17th. Later it came into the ownership of the Lewins. From here in 1820 Harriet Lewin was married to George Grote, the historian of Greece. In 1853 a new building was erected which in 1901 became the children’s home.
The Hollies Children’s Home, designed by Dinwiddy on the site of Marrowbone Hall. Built for The Guardians of Deptford and Greenwich as an orphanage for 587 children and 60 staff. Part of the site is now private housing. 'The Hollies' and many of the original orphanage buildings remain and include a water tower with a clock face.
Housing 1930s H.Smith & Co.

Rosebery Avenue
On the site of the farmyard of Days Farm

Shuttle Close
Road name associated with the Wyncham Stream and the River Shuttle

Southspring
Blackboy Pub.

Willersley Avenue
Houses built in the 1930s as part of a planned development that included two parallel avenues, - the other is Braundton Avenue. Willersley is the major access north-south and is thus the wider of the two. There was a proposal to make it part of an inter-war London inner ring road. Built by H. Smith and Co. of Avery Hill Road, as part of Smith’s Hollies Estate, the planning were submitted in March 1932 and most houses are built in a chalet style
1-51 2-42 a typical 1930s chalet style suburban estate
32, 34, 45, 47 depart from the dominant house type.

Willersley Close
A cul-de-sac in which four semidetached properties fan out around a central turning circle a typical 1930s chalet style suburban estate.

Wyncham Stream
Flows under the section of railway line between Sidcup and New Eltham stations and under a series of residential roads, including Halfway Street.

No comments: