Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Thames Tributary - Cray flowing to the Darent. St.Pauls Cray

Thames Tributary Cray flowing to the Darent
The Cray continues to flow northwards

Post to the north Foots Cray
Post to the south St. Paul's Cray

Brooks Way
Tree lined footpath

Chapman’s Lane
Becomes a footpath leading to Hockenden Lane
Called after James Chapman. The Chapmans were a local family and there are memorials to them in the local churchyards. James Chapman bought land from William Wentworth, Earl of Stafford and also land from Sir John Dixon Dyke in 1767 and thus made up the ancient manor of Hockenden as one unit. Parakeets living here.
Houses partly of 17th origin with 19th additions.
The Cottage. Timber framed building.
Granary raised on staddle stones.
Holly Cottage
Garland Hills Farmhouse
Pilgrim Manor

Main Road
Junction with Sandy Lane. It has been suggested that an Anglo Saxon cross stood here. This would have preceded the building of the first Ruxley Church in the 10th. there may have been an ancient stone here forming part of a 'ley' - St. Paul's Cray crossroads, St. Paulinus', St. Mary's and All Saints, Orpington, are almost exactly aligned.
The Bull. White frontage provides a focal point at the start of Sandy Lane junction.
St.Paul's Cray Mill. In 1718 this mill had two waterwheels driving machinery for dressing leather in oil, and a third for corn milling. The mill was replaced by a paper mill, powered by a turbine.
Nash's Paper Mill. This paper mill replaced the earlier corn mill Papermaking had been established by 1742. Nash had started at Frogmore, Herts, in 1817. His son leased the Chapman mill at St.Paul’s Cray in the 1820s. A steam engine had been installed by c1820. It was used in the 1830s as a meeting place for Baptists. In 1845, Mary Ann Nash inherited the profits & rents of the mill until her sons came of age under the terms of her husband's will. Mary Ann Nash died on June 7 1852. Thomas Nash enlarged the mill in 1853. After his death at the age of 21, his brother William was manager under the trustees until he came of age in 1857. William Nash was married twice, and had five children. In 1870 they moved from the Mill House to a new house called Crayfield House. It is recorded that the axle of the waterwheel protruded into the kitchen of the Mill House. William Nash died on September 11 1879 and the mill was in the hands of trustees again. In 1898 a 250hp double-expansion condensing steam engine by Pollitt & Wigzell was installed, along with a second paper machine. The Millrace is still there.
Housing. A few surviving terraces provided for the employees of the Nash Paper Mill.
Ivy Cottages. Opposite the Bull and rebuilt as a result of neglect and vandalism.
Bridge. John Dynley was licensed to build a bridge over the river 'leading to land at Hockenden' in 1343.
Crayfield House. Built for William Nash in the 1870s.
St.Paulinus. redundant since 1978 and adapted as an old people's day centre. It would seem to be an earlier foundation than St. Mary's. It’s rare dedication suggests the early 7th. In the structure are some Roman tiles and some Saxon elements. Acanthus carving. The church was subject to major restoration in the late 19th. It has a sanctuary roof constructed after a fire in 1968. There is a 13th offertory. The furniture and were moved to St. Mary's -- except the font which has gone to St. Martin's at Chelsfield. Monument tablet to Earl Sydney 1890 – which remains on site.

New Mill Road
Crayfields Business Park
St.Paul’s Cray Recreation Ground

Sevenoaks Way
Grays Farm Cottages.
Gravel pits. Now used with water from the Cray as a balancing reservoir. A wildlife haven since 1951, leased by anglers and the Kent Trust, Open water, swamp, grass, No access except to the M20
Broomwood pub. Suburban roadhouse

Sandy Lane
Home Farm
Home Farm Cottages
Ruxley Park Golf Course
Dragons Health Club
Bromley Ski Centre
Garland Hill
The Lodge

St.Paul’s Cray
The name 'St. Paul's Cray' has no direct connection with St. Paul the Apostle; it is simply an of 'St. Paulinus' Cray' who was an early Christian missionary, and a close contemporary of Augustine. He subsequently became Archbishop of York and Bishop of Rochester.

No comments: