Wednesday, 6 January 2010

Thames Tributary, Darent - Otford

Thames Tributary Darent
The Darent continues to flow in a north west direction
The Twitton Brook flows north towards the Darent

Post to the north Filston
Post to the east Otford
Post to the west Polhill

Lower Barn

Flower Field Housing built in the 1960s on former osier beds

Knighton Road
Housing built in the 1960s

Orchard Road
Housing built in the 1970s

Pilgrim’s Way West
The Pilgrims Way is an ancient trackway that became an important east/west route. An older trackway along the top of the chalk ridge was used less as the population moved nearer the valley bottom. It crosses the valley in through Otford. It was called the Pilgrims Way in the 19th but there is little evidence that it was used by pilgrims on their way to Canterbury
Free Evangelical Church 1980
Hospital Cottages
Frog Farm Romano-British cemetery has been excavated here. This was once known as Wickham, and is an ancient site. The farmhouse was rebuilt in 2006, replacing a brick farmhouse of 1908.

Telston Lane
An old farm track developed with housing in the 1960s
Otford Solar System. Neptune on a pillar.

Twitton Brook Wood
The Twitton rises below Polhill to join the Darent

Twitton Lane
Leads to the hamlet of Twitton, with the parish boundary running along the middle of the road.
Twitton House Victorian villa
Twitton Farm with oast. Now a private house.
Twitton Stream Cottages
Rising Sun pub with bat and trap

Twitton Meadows
Housing built in 1991, by the North British Housing Association. It is grouped round a green and replaces prefabs dating from 1944

Wickham Field
The name Wickham might indicate a farm near a river
The battle between Canute’s Danes and Edmund Ironside’s men in 1016 was fought in this area. Battle of Otford 1016. Edmund Ironside defeated Canute and the Danes and the Darent ran red with blood. Canute had tried to besiege London and was intercepted.
Private road on the site of the former Sevenoaks RDC Isolation Hospital of 1904. The main buildings, wards, etc., were converted into single-storey private dwellings and two storey flats c1960.The hospital mainly dealt with children with scarlet fever or diphtheria, and had two wards for them and a number of smaller complete isolation units.

Willow Park
Housing built in the 1960s on former osier beds

No comments: