Thames Tributary Darent
The Darent continues to flow northwards
Post to the south Filston
Post to the east Shoreham
Post to the west Badgers Mount, Andrews Wood
Old Darent Cottage set back from the street. Timber-framed with tile hanging to the first floor under a tiled roof and a tall brick-built external chimney stack on either side.
Reedbeds where Australian artist Franklin White set up the Samuel Palmer School of Art in 1958. An ancient house. Offered day classes through the year and week-long residential courses in summer. Samuel Palmer School of Fine Art
almshouses once endowed by Filston Manor but now in memory of a young aviator killed in war. Redbrick, 16th
Hop Garden Cottages
King's Arms pub. Fascinating ostler's box. Morris dancers perform their spring rituals here to tinkling bells and accordion
Two Brewers pub
Shoreham Pumping Station. First automatic booster station in 1933
Primary School steeply pitched gabled roof, tall chimneys and buff bricks
29-33 red and blue brick cottages surrounded by lawns. They are a 16th timber-framed house and two 18th brick buildings.
37 red brick early 18th with sash windows and a tiled roof.
63-67 71-77 terraces of red and blue brick cottages modest and plain with small casement windows.
Forge Cottage, which includes the old Smithy in a garage. Exposed timber-frame painted black, with infill brick panelling in white.
13 Aircraft Museum. About the Battle of Britain
Winslade Cottage brick over a flint-faced lower storey.
26-28 Friars and Pilgrims red and blue bricks, front gardens enclosed by plain iron railings.
20, Holly Place, undecorated timber framing with the brick or plastered infill painted pale pink. Fire in around 1600 left damage which was repaired in chestnut, not oak. Weatherproofing by sliding timber shutters. Timber picket fence to the front.
The name means a homestead by a steep slope.
War memorial cross on the hill. Cut into the hillside as a war memorial by the people of Shoreham in 1920. Chalk edged in concrete blocks. 100 ft by 13ft with arms 58 ft by 16ft cut in 1920 as a memorial to First World War dead and dedicated on Empire Day that year, camouflaged in World War II it was recut in 1946. The land was leased from Lt.Col. Mildmay for 900 years by Shoreham Parish Council but Sevenoaks District Council now owns the freehold. Rededicated in 1995 on the 50th anniversary if VE Day,
V2 attack 15 February 1945. Mid-air break-up. Warhead in orchard. Farm damaged. 11.22am
Hops. Waring’s Imperial Green Hop developed here.