Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Thames Tributary Darent - St.John's Stream -Sutton at Hone

Thames Tributary Darent
St.John’s Stream westerly branch of the Darent flows northwards

Post to the south Farningham Road
Post to the north Hawley
Post to the east Roman Villa
Post to the west Clement Street

Arnolds Lane
Broad Oak – BUPA nursing home

Church Road
St.John the Baptist. The church built on raised ground to avoid the risk of flooding. The earliest reference is 1077, when it was given to the Priory of St Andrew’s, Rochester. Nothing of this church remains. In 1213, the Manor was given to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem In the 14th the exterior of the church was rebuilt with a tower with circular stair turret was added, using many old stones and Roman tiles. The steeple has four bells, with a doling bell and two sacring bells. In 1615 it was burnt down by a man shooting pigeons. It was restored again in 1862. Memorial to Sir Thomas Smythe, 1625 of Sutton Place ,Commissioner of the Navy, Sheriff of London first governor of the East India Co and ambassador to Russia; Henry Smythe, 1706; tablet to Margaret Baldwin, tablet to Abraham Hill, benefactor and owner of St John’s Jerusalem in the 17th A founder of the Royal Society he experimented with apples and pears for cider and Perry, tablet to Frances Hill; tablet to John Hallett Hotham, vicar 1836 - 1880, responsible for the Victorian restoration, and the building of local schools.
Churchyard
Sutton at Hone Primary School. Victorian church school

Darent
Gravel pit, series of old gravel pits now forming lakes stocked with fish for anglers Dartford Angling groups. Sutton at Hone Lakes were purchased in 1965 with negotiations beginning in1959 for the real carp fishermen who didn’t want distractions.
Little Lake over hanging bushes and trees and an area known as the Banjo, a snaggy bay
The Big Lake is around nine acres and quite an open lake. It has some well known Carp: Beauty, Captain Mannering, The Big Leather, The Leather, Dippy, The Armadillo, Sue and many more.

Hawley Road
Sutton Place. Red brick walls Elizabethan survival of demolished house. It was the home of Thomas Smythe and also known as Brooke Place. Sold in 1767. Demolished in 1968.

Main Road
218 Ship
58 Greyhound2 Dairy Cottage, originally 17th or 18th rebuilt in br5ick 1973.
Icehouse built to serve Sutton Place now west of Dairy Cottage. Double brick built 6ft above ground level – supposed to be a tunnel which went to Sutton Place.
Almshouses. 1597. Red brick, 2 storey, 1597. Bequest of Elizabeth Wrote.
Sutton Court – old house used by the church
Village Hall
Vicarage
St. John of Jerusalem and the Knights Hospitallers. A Commandry of 1199. Tranquil moated garden and 13th chapel of the Knights Hospitallers. In the 12th the manor was given to the Order of St John, and remained with them until it was confiscated in 1540 and the Hospitallers fled to Malta. It was the original intention to found a hospital but little is heard of it. In 1660 it was bought from the Crown by Abraham Hill and thee house was built in 1665 by him and owned by Hasted in 1755-56, Hasted rebuilt it - the house today is much as he left it. The expense reputedly bankrupted him and brought him five years imprisonment for debt. Occupied as a private residence, but maintained and managed by the tenant on the National Trust's behalf. Cedar, copper beech and a fish pond.
St John’s Stream. The stream flows into the grounds of St John's Jerusalem and round it as a moat

Marsh Fields
Sutton Ballast Co. Ltd.

Sutton at Hone
Means farm settlement at the boundary. The lath of Sutton at Hone covers a wide area. A lath is an administrative area probably put in place by the Jutes which divided Kent into seven areas, called lathes, each of which was divided into ‘hundreds.

No comments: