Cray Tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
Post to the north Brigden
Post to the east North Cray Road
Post to the south North Cray
Possibly named for the American battle site.
The Red House
V2 attack 21st February 1945. 5 injured. 60 houses damaged. 9.22 am
A stretch of original road abandoned by widening
Contract House –commercial offices
Geoffrey Hall /Scout Hut
North Cray Meadows
Roman Road goes right through it and there was a villa
The Alders woodland. The area hosts many species of woodland birds including black cap, nuthatch, tree creeper, great spotted woodpecker, willow warbler and chiff-chaff. Flowers include common mouse ear. Cuckoo flower or Lady's smock - the food-plant for the caterpillar of the locally uncommon orange tip butterfly.
The Stables Meadow Sports Ground
North Cray Road
Loring Hall. Also known as North Cray Cottage or Woollett Hall. It was built in 1760 on the site of a Tudor house called Walletts. This stuccoed mansion was the country home of Lord Castlereagh, War Minister and then Foreign Secretary in the early 19th. At the end of the Napoleonic Wars he was England 's chief representative at international meetings. In August 1822 he committed suicide here, cutting his throat with a penknife because of blackmail for homosexuality. Later the name was changed to Loring Hall and it became a University Hall of Residence for Goldsmiths College. It was later used as a private nursing home and became Malcolm Sargent House for young people recovering from cancer. There is a high brick wall all round it with a blue plaque to Castlereagh.
Lodge and Stable block to Loring Hall.
136 Oak Cottage. Estate cottages 19th of Vale Mascal.
146 White Cross pub. The pub was known as the Red Cross 1730-1935 when the War Office ruled that a pub of that name violated the Geneva Convention. In The front bar are a display of copper and brass utensils and there is a white cross over the main door. Listed
Archery – the Black Prince Bowmen archery club meet behind the pub
152/4 Rose Cottage. Timber framed cottages, which were once a terrace but are now one house. Possibly 16th or 17th century. Listed
166 Pear Tree Cottage. Pink painted brick house with a plaque giving the date of 1790. Fancy iron porch. Listed
168 Old School. This was North Cray National School built 1860 and in use until 1959. Listed
170 School Teacher’s House for North Cray National School. A plaque on the building tells how the school was a gift to the parish from Western Wood of North Cray Place. Listed
Site of Woodbine Cottage. Gone. During the widening of North Cray Road in 1967 when this was to be demolished it was discovered it was a medieval hall house. The structure went to the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum in Sussex where it has been rebuilt. It had an open hall with a central open hearth and with separate chambers at both ends of the building on ground and first floor levels. It was stood opposite 152/4.
Jubilee Cottages – demolished for road widening in the 1960s. These were almshouses built in the early 20th century.
Pumping Station. Unmanned pumping from aquifers
Royal Park Primary School
Stretch of original main road kept after road widening.
Wollett Hall Farm