Sunday, 24 January 2010

Thames Tributory - Shuttle flowing to the Cray. New Eltham

River Shuttle, tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
Streams feed from this area in to the Shuttle

Post to the north Eltham
Post to the east New Eltham


Blanmerle Road
Was originally Batturs Road.
A footpath from Blanmerle Road goes through site of previous RACS shop.
2 & 4 unusual design of houses. 1898.

Fairy Hill Sports Ground
This was the site of Fairy Hall, built for Henry Earl Bathurst when he was an 18th Lord High Chancellor.
Collapse on December 18th 1596. A trench of ground containing in length about 80 perches and in breadth 28 began, with the trees and hedges on it, to loose itself from the rest of the ground lying round about it, and withall to move and shoot southward, day and night for eleven days. The ground of two water pits, the one six foot deep of water carried towards the south at least four pecks apiece, but withall mounted aloft and became hills. Fairy Hill belonged to Sir Percival Hart Kt.

Footscray Road
144 A house built early 18th, altered and extended, with a modern porch.
87/ 91 Gap for Butterfly Lane and London Electricity Sports ground.
London Electricity Sports ground. London Electricity Sports and Social Association (LESSA). A large pond, overshadowed by tall trees, and supervised by the London Wildlife Trust. It was formerly part of a much larger lake in the grounds of Southend House, and originally a marle pit. It is among a network of old hedgerows that criss-cross land used for sports. It has frogs, toads and newts. There are bats and foxes.
Beehive Pub. 1897 decorative features. The Field beside it was used for trotting, races and circuses
Clare Corner at junction with Green Lane. Garden suburb co-ownership development
Cottages
Ivor Grove. 1881, used to be called Pope Street School, the old name is still there
Merchland Cottages. demolished. Pond and wetland. Allotments.
Milestone
New Eltham Station. 1878. Between Sidcup and Mottingham on South Eastern Trains. Dartford Loop railway, originally called Pope Street. 1927 renamed and Called New Eltham when it was electrified. 1964 rebuilt. 1990 New buildings. Originally opened for the convenience of first class ticket holders who lived in the local posh houses. Signal box, goods yard in a cutting, rebuilt 1964. New buildings 1990. Paid for by the developer and the name changed from Pope Street to please them. Very much a railway suburb grew up close to the station – houses for the middle class commuter.
Goods yard closed 1965
RACS Store
Wybourne School

Green Lane
84/136 Victoria Cottages 1897
Railline
This is a Green Corridor between Mottingham and New Eltham Stations. Sycamore and oak with hawthorn and bramble scrub.

Southwood Road
92/98 imposing
Southwood Rough
Sports field in the centre and wet grassland round the edge. There is a Gap in the hedge from the sports field into the rough. A stream runs between polluted earth banks. Ancient tree trunks and fly tipping. This was the old London Electricity Board sports ground Bought by Greenwich Council in 1980

No comments: