Monday, 25 January 2010

Wyncham Stream flowing to Shuttle.Kemnal Manor

The Wyncham Stream is a tributary to the River Shuttle, which is a tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Stream rises and flows north through the area.

Post to the north New Eltham

Ashen Grove
The Wyncham stream flows through this area of ancient woodland

Belmont Lane
An earlier name was Keminghole Lane
Belmont Lane Open Space with children’s play area
Allotments
Edgebury Primary School
Royal British Legion Club

Kemnal Road
First developed for housing only 130 years ago; old, but follows the route of an old footpath which crossed an area called Woodheath. In 1871 Samuel Asser bought the freehold of the Kemnal Estate from New College, Oxford. He also bought the right of way over Woodheath, from Earl Sydney and made a new road north to Maidstone Road. By 1884 there were 13 large houses in Kemnal Road
The Wyncham Stream follows the line of the road.
Waterfalls
Stock Wells
Foxbury Mission Society Training College
Foxbury. Samuel Asser sold 57 acres to Henry Tiarks, a London banker, to build Foxbury. Building the house started in 1875 on Upper Broomfield. The architect was David Brandon designed as some gothic, some Tudor, some modern. The building was carried out by, Hill, Higgs & Hill.
Lodge
Kemnal Riding Stables
Kemnal Manor. First recorded in deeds in 1250 it was then the home of Alexander of Chomehole. Most recently the name was ‘Keminghole’ and since contracted to Kemnal, It was sold to William Wykham in 1391 and he endowed it to New College, Oxford, in whose ownership it remained until bought by Asser in the 1870s and he built a new house on the site. This house was sold to James Hermann Rosenthal in the early 1900's. He was British Managing Director of Babcock & Wilcox and but adopted the name Kemnal and became known as JHR Kemnal. By 1939 Lady Kemnal was happy to allow Kemnal Manor to be requisitioned for military use during the war and it became the headquarters for the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, Southern Command, and remained as such until 1961.The house was abandoned after REME left, and in 1964 was destroyed by fire. Part of the Estate was sold to the London Dock Labour Board and was developed into a sports ground.
Lodge

No comments: