Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Beck continues to flow northwards through Kelsey Park, towards the Pool River, the Ravensbourne and the Thames.
Post to the north Beckenham
Post to the south Eden Park
In 1408 William Kelshulle leased two meadows, and built a mansion, near to the lower waterfall. The owner in 1479 built a Chapel at "Kelsies" and in 1688 it passed to Peter Burrell. In the early 18th a new mansion was built by the upper lake which passed through various owners including members of the Hoare banking family. They changed the house into a Scottish baronial-style mansion and added a chapel, dedicated to St. Agatha, in 1869. The approach to the mansion was from the main lodge in Kelsey Square, running past a gravel pit on the present site of Greenways. In 1895 it was a Convent for the Sisters of All Saints, Margaret Street, and in 1901 it became the Kepplestone School for the Daughters of Gentlemen. In 1909 the estate was developed by Hay Walker, a consulting engineer, and chief engineer for the London Tube Railways. During the First World War the house was used for the military and was eventfully demolished in 1921.
Elgood Playing Fields
Sandhills School. Was demolished in 1956 when houses were erected in Kelsey Lane
Kelsey Park. The site of Kelsey Manor House - the land was bought by the local authority and opened to the public in 1913. An attractive, mature park with a range of habitats, including woodland, bats and stag beetles, and two lakes. In 1933 the Council also purchased part of the grounds of Cedar Lawn in Wickham Road and made an extension to the Park with a new entrance opposite Tudor Road.
Beck. The river flows through the Park. The lakes and the river support diverse water bird communities, including the only heronry in Bromley
the main entrance was through lodge gates, off the present Sandy, or Kelsey Lane, near Forest Ridge, and there were, until about 1930 footpaths leading across open fields from Croydon Road, almost opposite Cromwell Road and from Upper Elmers End Road where now is Stanhope Grove.
Decorative iron gates. At the division of Manor Way and Court Downs Road,
Footbridge over the river Beck, which has been dammed and widened to form ornamental lakes. Mallards, Coots, Common and Canada Geese
Ornamental gardens, enclosed by a further set of gates to protect the birds. A small aviary of exotic birds and public conveniences
Rubble from the demolition of Kelsey Manor was used to provide hardcore in the construction of the road.
15 Barry Parker, 1929-30.
Looking Glass Corner,
Park Langley garage. The Chinese garage – Built in 1928 and designed by Edmund B. Clarke, the building is actually in the style of a Japanese pagoda... Originally afilling station original and then added workshops and offices in 1948. Aircraft parts were made there in the war.
The road name refers to Kelsey Manor rather than to the Old Manor. Development was done by the firm of J. Overal and Son. In 1912 5 houses had been built and by 1914, 16 but the war meant a halt. Development resumed in the 1920's, but was not completed until 1937. Some houses are "country houses in town" influenced by architects like Lutyens and Voysey. Some create the "honest cottage" atmosphere of Arts and Crafts.
Beau Manor. Site of Kelsey Manor.
2 Built by Hooper for himself 1910
4 The Bailiffs Cottage. It may be up to 250 years old and was a house for the estate bailiffs. While Manor Way was being built it was office accommodation for Overal and Son, the developers.
21, attributed to Francis Hooper. Built in 1913.
24-32 1911 attributed to Hooper. With tall chimneys and pargetting
38 1910 attributed to Hooper
50 1912 attributed to Hooper
52 opposite the entrance to Kelsey Park. Built in 1911 and designed by A. C. V Edwards.
Kelsey Park School. Opened in 1968 as a successor to Alexander Boys School. It has Specialist sports status.
South Eden Park Road
The Beck flows under South Eden Park Road into woodland and part of the Harvington Estate, where there are some old oaks
The Harvington Estate comprised several large houses along this road, from about 1871
Sports ground on the remaining area of the Harvington Estate
Homewood built 1881.
Stone Park Avenue
Named for local farm on the site
Beckenham maternity hospital. Closed 1986
Crease Park is on the site of Eden Park Farm which belonged to a J.A. Rucker. This classical building was the home of William Eden, Ambassador to Spain and to the Netherlands in 1789, and later created Lord Auckland from 1807. His eldest son George succeeded him and was Governor-General of India; and a monument to him is outside the parliamentary buildings in Auckland, New Zealand – and there the cricket ground is called Eden Park. After 1875 the mansion was demolished early in the 20th. It was sited on the flat area below the main entrance gates to the park
Crease Park is named after Alderman James Crease, Deputy Mayor in 1934.
So named because of the well-house of Eden Farm which stood near the old mansion.
72 last survivor of a group by Francis Hooper, 1897, in tile-hung Norman Shaw style
76 Hooper, 1898; even more like early Norman Shaw.
South Lodge of Eden Park. Crisp Regency job
Burrell Cottage. Demure house c18 three-bay house, in brown brick