Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Thames Tributary Earl Sluice - River Peck - Peckham Rye

Thames Tributary Earl Sluice
The River Peck leaves the park and continues underground in the sewer in a general northerly direction towards the Earl Sluice

Post to the north Peckham
Post to the south East Dulwich


Amott Road.
Amott Baptist Church

Carden Road
1 Lighthouse Cathedral – was St.Anthony (or St. Antholin) church. Now Ghanaian church. Built 1877-8 by Ewan Christian in red brick, lancet style. One end was demolished after bombing and replaced by a vicarage plus garden. This work was done by Laurence King.

Consort Road
Beeston House almshouses (1834) of the Girdlers' Company a terrace of five stuccoed Tudor houses in a garden, with a separate one-storey range on either side, tactfully added since the Second World War. The Worshipful Company of Girdlers erected these almshouses to commemorate the good deeds of Cuthbert Beeston who was Master of the Company in 1570. In his will dated of 1582, he gave the Company premises in the parish of St Olave, Southwark The property gradually increased in value and was eventually sold so the land could be used for access to the new London Bridge. With money raised the Church Commissioners bought the site of Nunhead Road and built the almshouses. Civic Trust award in 1975 There is a Gothic water pump stands in the grounds and, although not in its original position.

Crystal Palace Road
2 Janson, hairdressers supplies company

Dewar Street.
Wilkinson House, Care home.

East Dulwich Road
King's on the Rye, the former King‘s Arms. Closed and rebuilt as ‘modern flats
Line of cast iron poles to carry awnings outside shops.
Dulwich Housing Office
45. Public baths and wash houses, now converted to leisure centre. Built 1890-1892. By Spalding and Cross. Red brick with stone dressings. Panel with lettering "Dulwich Public Baths.” Inside is a hall staircase with cast-iron supports, elaborate cast-iron newel post and mahogany handrail. The large bath is now a sports hall. Warm baths survive with original fittings.
Batey Mineral Water Works Victorian ginger beer factory with a head office in Hammersmith.

Elsie Road,
Elsie was a relation of E.Barley who built the houses in 1884

Gordon Road
85 Sailor Prince Pub. Converted to offices
Nunhead Library. Opened 1896 by funder John Passmore Edwards. Designed in late Tudor style by Robert Whellock.
189 Scott lift factory
217a Salvation Army church
Gowlett Road
62 Gowlett Arms. Timber panelled walls

Lacon Road
25 modernist house on three floors. All green and recycled with a balcony on the top floor.

Nigel Road
24 home William Margrie, founder of the London Explorers Club, and who was known as the Sage of Peckham. Died in 1960 and wrote: "I have no very urgent desire to go to Heaven; Peckham is good enough for me,"

Nunhead Green
One and a half acres of grass and asphalt. Woods and duck pond.
Asylum of the Beer & Wine Trades Association, motto ‘Live & let Live’. Beer and Wine Homes 1852-3 by William Webbe, a gabled yellow-brick Gothic front with angled chimneys. New housing added behind, by A & D. Dove
Allison Terrace added in 1872
39 Pyrotechnists' Arms a reminder that Mr. Brock of fireworks fame had once a factory here.
Brock's fireworks factory. Located here from Islington to supply displays to Crystal Palace. In 1870 they made 2m cartridges tubes for the French army in the Franco Prussian war. Unsure of exactly where this was, there is no obvious site on maps and it is not mentioned in histories of the company
15 Old Nun's Head. Tea gardens once surrounded the pub but, nothing remains. In 1827 these gardens drew crowds from all over the land. Said to be built in the grounds of an old convent dispersed in the Reformation. It is said the prioress was executed and her head displayed here on a pike.
Salvation Army
Nunhead Green Early Years Centre

Nunhead Lane
25 Tyrell Arms
57 Duke now The Village Inn Truemans
Man of Kent
20-26 National Steam Car Co Ltd bus garage. 1911 From here Clarkson white double deck steam buses were fired by paraffin and served routes to Shepherd's Bush and Hampton Court. Owing to the rising cost of paraffin, the fleet was withdrawn in 1919 and the garage was used for petrol buses by the London General Co and then LPRT. London Transport closed the garage in 1954. It was used 1958 - 1970s by Banfield's Luxury Coaches. Charles Banfield, who founded his charabanc business in 1926, had worked at Nunhead as a driver for the London General. Some scenes from the popular TV series On the Buses were filmed at Nunhead. It was later used by a drinks wholesaler. The structure with three central bays and a central clock turret was the sole survivor of the type of bus garage in Britain. Demolished in 1999 and flats built with a replica of the clock turret.

Peckham Rye
'Rye' means a projecting piece of land from "rhyn,” which with "Peckham” which means a village under the hills - a village under the heights of Sydenham, by a stream'. ‘Peckham Rithe’ in 1520’ could refer to 'a small stream'.
Peckham Rye Common. This has been suggested as a site for one of Boudicca's battles, and as a stag hunting ground. It was the site of a prisoner of war camp but normally was common grazing land. It has been used as a recreation ground from time immemorial. William Blake had his first vision of "a tree filled with angels, bright angelic wings bespangling every bough like stars" here. It was originally sixty-four acres and forty-nine acres were added. In 1766 and 1789 there had already been concern about encroachments. Housing would have been built here if local people had not fought in the 1860s to stop the Lord of the Manor, Sir William Bowyer Smyth. The manorial rights were purchased in 1868 by Camberwell Vestry. In 1864, thirty-two vans of' Wombwell’s wild beasts' moved in. A bandstand was transferred here in 1889 by the London County Council - one of a pair originally erected in the Royal Horticultural Society's Garden in Kensington.
Flats overlooking the east side of the Common are some blocks of London County Council flats between Waveney Road and Rye Hill Park which escaped bomb damage.
Dog Pond. Near Prisoner of War camps
Duck Pond
Open-air swimming baths. On a triangular piece of ground which is cut off from the main part of Peckham Rye Common by East Dulwich Road. Opened in 1923. Part of the film "Entertaining Mr Sloane" was shot there. It closed in April 1987 and in May 1995 Southwark Council were still attempting to sell the lido for redevelopment. In the end it was cleared and became part of Peckham Rye Park.
Gloucester Cottage. Home of poet Tom Hood, Jnr
Manilla House. Home of Henry Schiller. Writer and operettist who invented way of making deep sea cables and worked with US photographer, Mayall
1 Prospect Place. Home of Vincent Figgins, died 1844. He was a City typefounder
31 Rye Hotel
20 White Horse. Tudor style front and a ghost
174 the garden has a wide variety of foliage.. Best in early June with pink and blue flowers..
196a Clock House Pub opposite the eastern entrance to the common on Peckham Rye has won awards for its exuberant hanging baskets and window boxes. Features numerous clocks including a stained glass window as a clock.
Austin’s Court now occupies the site of Austin's at Peckham Rye. This was one of the largest antique and second-hand dealers in Europe. It was started by George Austin who in 1876 had opened Oxford Farm Dairy and also advertised Household Removals and Warehousing. In 1905 they took on the site at Peckham Rye. His son George Edward Austin and his four sons built up the business in the 1930s. It was later run by his great grandson with his sister Valene. L it closed in 1994.
Roberts' Capsule Stopper factory overlooking the Common. Art deco building opened in 1931 and designed by Wallis Gilbert and Partners. It became Roberts' Metal Packaging Ltd. The new factory was built on the site of Pineapple Lodge, home of market gardener Israel Solomon.
Bandstand. One of two "band houses" from the Royal Horticultural Society site at South Kensington. Designed by Captain Francis Fowke. When the Gardens closed in the mid-1880s, the bandstands were dismantled and put up for sale. In April 1889 the London County Council had approved a budget of £600 for a new bandstand for Peckham Rye and bought the South Kensington ones.


Upland Mews
Features in films 'Mona Lisa’.

1 comment:

Trevor said...

Sorry to be picky but in the item relating to Nunhead bus garage should the letters "LPRT" be LPTB - for London Passenger Transport Board?