Wednesday, 10 March 2010

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - The Lower Kidbrooke - Kidbrooke

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Lower Kidbrook flows south westwards to cross Rochester Way near the junctions with Briset Road and Wendover Road. It turns westwards to cross the railway and goes under the Ferrier Estate towards the Quaggy The Quaggy flows north and then turns abruptly west to flow along Tudway Road

Post to the west Blackheath Park
Post to the north Kidbrooke
Post to the south Eltham Common


Birdbrook Road
In the 17th two parcels of woodland were called Kay Springe and Shoemakers Springe. These were in the area of the road and the names indicate their nearness to the course of the Lower Kid Brook
76-98 Nature reserve. In an overgrown area at the back
Lower Kid Brook stream picks up the Kidbrooke Boundary near the western bend as it comes from the end of the gardens on the south side of the road and then follows it to the south eastern edge of the Ferrier Estate

Carnbrook Road
Lower Kidbrook Farm. This was at the western end of the road and was later called Chandler’s Orchard. Used by the Air Ministry who bought the area for barrage balloons.

Highbrook Road
Cottages for Farm workers on the east side of Kidbrooke Lane, south of Middle Farm, roughly on the site of Highbrook Road.

Kidbrook Green
Donkey Field. South of the Dover Patrol and the site of the old village green. Ditches could be seen around it until the Mway was built. It dated from before piped drainage systems. It was part of the area sold to the Air Ministry in 1938 for a barrage balloon installation but this area was used for allotments. Sold to the Borough in 1960 and since disappeared under the motorway.
Nature Reserve. Wet neutral grassland marshy and with two recent ponds. It is managed by the Lord of the Manor and is a last glimpse of the once extensive marshlands which were alongside the Kid brook. Some drainage channels and hedges can still be seen which are on old maps. There are lizards, toads, frogs, and newts, in the pools and ditches.
Boundary of Middle Farm
Fruit tree in one corner indicates a previous orchard.

Kidbrook Way
Dover Patrol was built in 1932. Now gone.

Meerbrook Road
names indicate their nearness to the course of the Lower Kid Brook

Railway Line
Line between Kidbrooke Station and Eltham, runs on an embankment notorious for land slips. Blackheath to Falconwood is a green corridor with cuttings and embankments with sycamore and oak woodland, hawthorn and bramble.

Ridgebrook Road
names indicate their nearness to the course of the Lower Kid Brook

Rochester Way
Developed in the 1880s and was then Woodville Road. From Brook Lane to Well Hall it follows the line of Kidbrook Lane. The arterial road was opened in 1928. A dip at Briset Road is where the Lower Kidbrook emerges after skirting the Samuel Montague Sports Ground.

Tudway Road
Holy Family Primary School enrolled its first entry in September 1973.

No comments: