Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Kydbrook/Quaggy continues to flow north west towards the Ravensbourne
TQ 42000 68949
Upmarket area between Bromley and Chiselhurst with many big houses from the early 20th in a 'Norman Shaw' style. Much of it built on the estate of the shipbuilding Wells family.
Post to the north Elmstead
Post to the east Chiselhurst
19 Beechcroft. One of the first houses by local architect, Ernest Newton and influenced by Norman Shaw. 1891
19 Stables for Beechcroft by Newton. 1891
Cottages and garages
St.Hugh’s Playing field. St, Hugh’s was a school which moved from here following bombing in 1945. It is now at Faringdon in Oxfordshire.
Cross in Hand was a hamlet in this area which became Bickley. The name, meaning ‘Bicca’s clearing’, is noted in 1279.
Bickley Hall. John Wells’ house built in 1780 to the design of Robert Mylne. Wells had bought the land as a hunting lodge and it was up into a big house from 1759. Wells was a Deptford shipbuilder and bought the estate from his brother in 1812 but lost money in a Maidstone bank crash of 1841. The estate was sold to a developer, George Wythes, but the house remained in use as a school. It was eventually demolished in the 1960s.
35a Ennore. Neo- Georgian house by Ernest Newton, in red brick. 1903.
Bickley Court, neo- Georgian house by Ernest Newton. 1904.
Cross Hand, neo- Georgian house by Ernest Newton 1904.
Amapola, 1927 by T. Brammell Daniel
Developed between 1905 and 1914.
13 by Newton, of 1905. Good example of his work
1 by Quennell, 1906,
3 Four Beeches by Quennell, 1906, for himself
2, Barn Hawe by Quennell 1906
8, 10, 12, all designed in 1906-9. By Quennel
Chalk mine. This mine is in a 'cavernous' region shown on 19th maps showing a track leading down parallel to the west of Logs Hill into a pit and a shaft.
Lower Camden Road
The Kyd Brook runs parallel to this to the east
Unadopted dirt road
The Mount 1902 with a lodge, by Amos Faulkner. Now flats
Stotfold 1906-7, by T. P. Figgis. Now flats.
Suffolk House. By Ernest Newton
2, 4, and 6 by Amos Faulkner, 1907, and 1914
Bullers Wood School. Bullers Wood House was built mid 19th. On a grassy hillside with extensive grounds including cottages and a small farm. In 1872 it was leased by John Sanderson a wool exporter. In 1899 Sanderson commissioned Ernest Newton, to extend the house. It was Newton's first major house and, the setting is on a steep wooded hillside plunging down below the formal terrace. William Morris was commissioned to decorate the interiors including the hand painted ceiling in what is now the library. The school retains a number of artifacts connected to Morris. The house was sold in 1920. Sir Sydney Nicholson founded the Royal School of Church Music here but in the Second World War it was taken over by Kent County Council and used by the Auxiliary Fire Service. In 1944 the Bromley Day Commercial School for Girls which had been bombed moved here as Bromley Girls’ Technical School. By the late 1950s, extensions were built and linked to Hydeswood by a block of classrooms. A gymnasium was built onto the caretaker’s cottage and it became Bromley Technical High School for Girls and known as Bullers Wood School in 1968
The Stables by the entrance are Newton's, 1884.
Hydeswood built for Sydney Nicholson for himself but used as part of school as it expanded.
Inglewood House. Part of the school.
1 by Evelyn Hellicar, 1906, for himself.
Denbridge House, by Quennell for himself
19 by Quennell, 1907,
17 by Reginald Wheatly, 1907
Deerwood. Quennel 1912
Englefield Quennell 1910
Hadlow 1911 Quennel
Orchard House 1913
Castanea 1930-1 by P. D. Hepworth, early flat-roofed modernistic, with pitched roof and shingle cladding added later.
Bullers Wood School. Web site
Bromley Local History Society. Web site
Kent Underground Research. Newsletter
London Borough of Bromley. Web site
Pevsner. West Kent