Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
The Quaggy continues to flow northwards to join the Ravensbourne
Suburban area with main roads and wetland parks
Post to the north Kidbrooke
Post to the south Mottingham
Site of Middle Park Farm which was demolished for housing. It had been used as a stud farm. 1973. Deer bones and antlers found
Houses with mock Tudor gables.
Sutcliffe Park. open grassland, meadow, and wetland. The river Quaggy meanders through the site. It was named after Mr J Sutcliffe, a Council Borough Engineer, the site, partly known previously as Harrow Meadow, was radically re-landscaped in 2003 by The Environment Agency, as part of a local flood defence scheme. It had been opened in 1930 and drained to turn a swampy area into a park. in the 1930s, open sections of the river were encased in concrete tunnels (or culverts). A problem resulting from this practice was that during times of heavy rainfall, water would surge through the culverted sections, flooding Lewisham.
Harrow Meadow. The eastern part of the Sutcliffe Road site used as the Greenwich Borough Council sports field.Housing
Yorkshire Grey. Now a Macdonalds. This is an old pub site at the edge of what was Eltham Green, and now on the south circular road.
A piece of common land. Now severed by Westhorne Avenue and the roundabout. Some houses on the perimeter all c1840.
Victorian horse trough. Transferred here in 1932 from opposite the 'We Anchor in Hope' on Shooters Hill.
1-3 Local List
Eltham Gas Works. Closed in the 1880s when taken over by South Met.
Eltham Palace Road
Houses with mock Tudor gables.
K2 type cast-iron telephone kiosk, designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1927 - by the junction of Eltham Palace Road and The Vista
Royal Deer Park enclosed by 1300. Site of a Stud by owned by Blenkiron in the 1860s. The Middle Park Stakes are held at Newmarket and Caractacus who won the Derby in 1862 was bred here.
Middle Park Avenue
Middle Park Avenue is the pivotal road on the estate. There is a small shopping centre is at the junction of Middle Park Avenue and Kingsground.
Church of St Saviour. Church built 1933 by N.F. Cachemaille-Day in the German 'expressionist' style of the 1920s. One of the first modern style churches in the London area and said to be inspired by a 12th cathedral in France. The brick and concrete interior has a brick pulpit and a concrete statue of Christ by Donald Hastings; and a concrete font.
Middle Park Junior School
The area is part of the old Eltham Palace estate which was used as farm. In the Old Park area some trees were felled for the Navy. Housing estates built to rehouse tenants from the hutments so that Rochester Road could be built. It became the Middle Park London County Council estate built 1931
Eltham Green School. A massive modern building of 1956 with splayed wings, which broods over the surrounding area.
Descending Forms. On the wall of an outbuilding on the east side. an abstract sculpture by Robert Adams.
Many houses built to house hutment tenants
Clifton’s Service Station. Though recently altered, this garage of 1936 has kept its corner archways under mock-Tudor gables.
London Borough of Greenwich. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Nature Conservation in Greenwich
Spurgeon. Discover Eltham
Woolwich Antiquarian Society. Transactions