Wednesday, 10 March 2010

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne - Tributary to the Quaggy - Hither Green

Thames Tributary Ravensbourne
A tributary to the Quaggy flows northwards

Post to the north Hither Green

Baudwin Road
Largest surviving group of pre fabs. 185 were built in 1945 by Uni Seco in streets which were named after Knights of the Round Table.

Downham Estate
Artisan suburb built in 1919 by the London County Council. Called after the Chair of the L.C.C, Lord Downham 7,000 houses were built between 1924 and 1930 on 522 acres. The site had been called the Seven Fields in the 1920s and it was a place for a day out. The L.C.C bought the land from the Earl of Northbrook and the estate was larger and more casually planned than Bellingham.
Downham Park and Woodland Walk. Included in the estate design by the London County Council in1931. There was no mowing in order to let things grow. Pond was there for cattle drovers. The Walk is considered to be ancient woodland. A map of 1805 shows the eastern half of the Woodland Walk and much of it was a walk on the boundary of Southend Hall...

Northover
St Luke’s Church, a simple brick church by Sir Charles Nicholson built 1938. It was rebuilt after war damage, when some d├ęcor features were added, like painted ceiling ribs and stained glass windows

Railway
Charing Cross to Hastings and Dover 1865

Reigate Road
Mound of hardcore left to form the basis of bridge over railway at Hither Green to extend Whitefoot Lane

Verdant Lane
Hither Green Cemetery. Opened 1873 in 65 acres. Previously originally, this was the site of Shoffold's Farm. The area is the Source of spring, which goes down into Lee along the ancient line of the parish boundary. There is a Victorian section with varied monuments. Lee Cemetery shows a contrast between the 19th and the values of the 20th. There are big gates lodge and belfries and spires, so it is all like a little churchyard, - then there is the crematorium and garden of rest with the only building like a bus shelter. There is a pair of decorated ragstone chapels by Francis Thorne –who is also buried there. Hit by a V2 on 23rd January 1945 when the chapel was damaged and human remains scattered widely in the roadway. There are a lot of parakeets in the cemetery.
Crematorium. Opened 1956. There is a pond at the south east end which is on the site of a previous ditch.
Nature Reserve At the tip of the railway sidings off Baring Road is a block of open grassy habitat with the cemetery. Following a public inquiry in 1987, this small area has been kept. It is known for its lizards and slow worms, and is sloping and well drained although there are some damp areas. There are lichens and mosses grow. And birds and butterflies are attracted. The grassland around the graves is rich in flowering species such as agrimony and self heal.

Whitefoot Lane
Recreation ground. Site of a pond marked by trees on the south side.

No comments: