Friday, 9 April 2010

Thames Tributary Earl Sluice - The Blue

Thames Tributary Earl Sluice
The Earl Sluice is said to flow west and to meet the River Peck near the junction of Ilderton and Rotherhithe New Roads
The London and Greenwich Railway runs south eastwards
TQ 34676 78833

Inner south east London, essentially the non-riverside area of Bermonsey around the shopping area of Southwark Park Road.  There is much post-Second World War housing and other buildings - the result of terrible bombing raids.  This was also an area with many works and industries, indeed many remain some of this based in the stretch of the Grand Surrey Canal which passes through this square. The London and Greenwich Railway on its original route is also here.

Post to the south Peckham Park Road
Post to the west Bricklayers
Post to the east South Bermondsey
Post to the north Bermondsey

Aspinden Road
Nature garden on a bomb site which has developed naturally. with sycamore woodland and nettles. There is also a pond. Other plants include elder, bramble, field maple, blackthorn and hawthorn.

Avondale Square
St.Philip. Built 1963 in Brick as an octagon by N. F. Cachemaille Day, to replace its predecessor which was bombed.
Church hall and vicarage
Churchyard managed by Vicar and Churchwardens. .
Housing for the City of London. This is on Bridge House Estates land and designed by Sir Lancelot Keay, Basil Duckett & Partners. The tall buildings from 1958-62 and s shopping precinct and a green space.

Barkworth Road
St.Bartholomew. 1866/7 by E. Taprell Allen. Red brick on an ambitious scale. The tower was never built. Church has gone.
Vicarage

Blue Anchor Lane
Early paper mill in a marshy isolated district. Messrs Pewtress, Low and Pewtress.
Old Surrey Foxhounds kennels
Pettit's wool rug factory

Bombay Street.
Armfields Blue Anchor Tannery,
Angus' Tannery
Electric Wire Works

Bonamy Estate
Built 1970 for GLC in an effort to avoid tall blocks and to create more intimate enclosed spaces. Nothing over four storeys. Structural problems and the area has since been redeveloped.

Cadbury Road
Peter Brown's large glue factory

Camilla Road
63 George’s Tavern. Estate pub

Delaford Road
Bacon's Comprehensive School. Preserves bust of Josiah Bacon, 1703 by William Cox, from Bacon's School, Grange Road Bermondsey. School has gone.


Galley Wall Road
Canute’s canal. It is said this would have bisected the road
78 Manor Tavern. Closed and gone
Methodist church
15 Church of England Record Centre
Southwark Park Primary school. 1872. The building was designed by ER Robson for the School Board for London and it is listed Originally Boys and girls had separate entrances as can be seen still above the main doorways. The infant building is totally separate and is later. The school was bombed in World War 2.
Golden Lion closed
Manor estate tenants association hall
Galleywall Nature reserve. Plot of land one part of Galleywall School. Now maintained by Friends of Galleywall Nature Reserve, It includes trees, shrubs, and a pond.
Spa Works. Shutterworth’s chocolates taken over by Rowntrees

Lynton Road
Rough area scheduled as a school nature garden,
St.Augustine. urban red brick Established by Richard Foster. architects were Henry Jarvis & Son, and their most notable building. 1875- 1883. Now housing. Listed Grade II.
Vestries added by Mesketh & Stokes, 1907
Paterson Park. A bomb site which was opened in 1953 by Clem Attlee and it was extended after Bricklayers' Arms station closed in 1981. The Bricklayers' Arms Nature Reserve is accessed via a railway bridge. The park was named after Sir Alexander Henry Paterson, prison reformer who worked in Bermondsey.

Marlborough Grove
Evelyn Lowe Primary School, the design was discussed in the Plowden Report of 1967. It was an experimental design by the Department of Education and Science. It consists of open-plan classrooms linked to pavilions hiding the playground from the road.
Nature Park
77 Marlborough Arms. Back street pub gone

Raymouth Road
Garage for Allitt Fleet of private buses, in the 1920s. Family coach and haulage business. Also in Silwood Street.

Rotherhithe New Road
Was previous parallel to and part of Corbett Lane
Victory Bridge. The London and Croydon railway line to Bricklayers crossed over Corbett’s Lane here. Victory Bridge – perhaps it was named from the local inn
264 Tropics Pub also called the Golden Lion and also The Victory. Closed

Southwark Park Road
95 Age Concern. Healthy Living Centre
Bede House. Settlement charity founded in 1938
148 Queen Victoria196 Colleen Bawn now a solicitors office
302 Raymouth Tavern closed and gone
312 home of Peter Marsh survivor of charge of the Light Brigade and member of the Balaclava Commemoration Society
251 Blue Anchor. Gave its name to the whole neighbourhood
282 Ancient ForestersHarris Academy which was the Aylwin School. 1965 by May Areas & Guest, for 975 girls. A ten-storey teaching block and lower buildings.
Railway Bridge. The easternmost section of the bridge is part of the original structure for the 1836 London and Greenwich Railway with iron columns from the Dudley Foundry. The bridges are also called the ‘John Bull Arch’. Wide brick-built Railway Arch with steel girder framework over the roadway on each side, carrying many of the lines into London-Bridge Station. In the Second World War paved foot-tunnels were bricked-up at each end, and used as Air-Raid Shelters, fitted out with bunks. The arch suffered a direct hit on 8 December 1940, and over a 100 people were killed. The wall ends were not properly sealed which allowed some of the blast to escape thus saving some. There were two direct hits on it by V2 Rockets in November 1944. The first one demolished most of the Arch and Two weeks later, when the wreckage had been cleared and a Temporary Bridge put up, another Rocket landed in exactly
Co-op store opened September 1955by Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society now part of the Co-operative Group.

St James' Road
Bricklayers Arms. East Yard. This was east of St James's Road and included the main reception and sorting sidings.

Thorburn Square
Rebuilt as a pedestrian precinct around the Victorian church of St Anne, and, near the Silwood Estate
St.Ann 1869-70 by J. Porter. Brick, with tower and spire.

Varcoe Road
Open Space community garden

Verney Road
Industries along here when Grand Surrey Canal was still in place. - lime and cement works, Potteries, hair and felt, Soap Works, glue and size works, sawing, planing and moulding mill and Sealing Wax Manufacture
Newbass Garage. This was a garage for a private bus co. - Standard Bus Co. but under came under London Transport in 1933
Walkend's Printing Ink Works

Sources
Aldous. London Villages
Beasley. Southwark Remembered
Beasley. Southwark Revisited
Bennett. The First  Railway in London
British Listed Buildings., Web site
British Rail and the Mercury Group. Present Connection.
Cherry & Pevsner. London South
Clunn. The Face of London
English Heritage. Web site
GLIAS Newsletter
Humphery. Bermondsey and Rotherhithe Remembered
Ideal Homes. Web site
London Borough of Southwark. Web site
London Encyclopaedia
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
Mills. George Landmann
Nature Conservation in Southwark, Ecology Handbook
Pub History. Web site
Southwark Lost Places of Worship. Web site.
Survey of Industrial Monuments of Greater London
Talling. London’s Lost Rivers
Thomas, London’s First Railway, 
Transpontine. Blog site
Walford. Village London.

1 comment:

Rhymecache said...

Dear Edith's Streets,
This is such a fascinating and useful blog! I don't know if it's possible to add a search facility but that would be fantastic.
Thanks for creating this!