Thames Tributary Earl Sluice
The River Peck runs underground through this area between Peckham Rye and where it joins the Earl Sluice in Rotherhithe.
Post to the west Blue Anchor
Post to the east Deptford
Post to the south Cold Blow
Post to the north Surrey Docks
Abbeyfield Estate - twenty-six-storey tower of the 1965-7, with an afternoon shadow which stretches halfway across Southwark Park. London County Council housing
Bede House community centre. A C
harity established as a Settlement in 1938
30 Earl of Beaconsfield Pub. Closed and gone
Nature garden run by Bede House on a bomb site
58 Old Manor House. Pub is now an Italian restaurant
St.Gertrude R.C. 1902 by F. W. Tasker. Greek cross plan; plain classical detail with groined timber vault.
Southwark Special Services Dept.
Clare College Mission Church. Early example of poured concrete construction... 1911 by Simpson & Ayrton. Sunny building, roughcast, with Italian roof. Now used as an arts exhibition space.
St.Katherine church By Covell Matthews & Partners, 1960, replacing a church 1884 by W.O. Milne on the foundations of which it is built. The predecessor church was one of those funded by Richard Foster, but it was bombed. The current church us in pale brick, with zigzagging walls and a curved end.
London County Council housing from 1957 replaced in 2010.
57 Medical centre
58 Cavendish School at Lady Gomm House. Built in 1885, originally as a convent and cottage hospital, and recently for a variety of community projects. Now a private secondary school.
59 Duke of Suffolk pub. Now flats
Red Lion Boys Club
South Bermondsey Station, 13th August 1866. Between Peckham Rye and London Bridge on Southern Rail. The original station was known as ‘Rotherhithe’. Built by the London Brighton and South Coast Railway. In 1869 The name was changed to ‘South Bermondsey and Rotherhithe’ when it became a station on the East London Line In 1928 it was one of the stations on the South London Line connecting Victoria and London Bridge. It was built on the site of the original centre track and was opened when the old station closed.
South Bermondsey, earlier Station on the site of the junction between this line and the spur on the main line from Bricklayers Arms. Remains demolished 2002
Cliftonville Tavern. Corner with Verney Road. Tavern's name is a reminder of seaside excursion trains which used Bricklayers Arms. Closed.
Deptford Slipper Baths. Now Shekinah Ministries, Glory Centre
Christ Apostolic Church. Surrey Docks Centre. Originally a Baptist Church.
Corbetts Lane junction between the Croydon and London and Greenwich railways was at the lane to the west of the Canal. This was Landmann’s suggestion in 1836. This was the first bit of the Croydon Railway Opened in 1839 to West Croydon. They built 36 arches to here leading to an embankment which continued the line.
The Bricklayers Arms railway branch left the London &Croydon Railway line just before this junction and ran in a western direction for about 1 1/2 miles. The line was on a viaduct and it was brought down to ground level by a timber viaduct which ran for about half-a- mile long. The viaduct suffered from settlement and was replaced by an embankment from the spoil remaining from widening the line south of New Cross Gate in the early 1850s.
Southwark Park Station signal box. The first signal box in the world was built here. The London & Croydon Railway engineer, Gregory, provided the first "signal box" where the points and signals were connected so that the signals could only be lowered for the line for which the points were set. The apparatus was manufactured by Stevens and Sons of Southwark Bridge Road and cost £150.0s.0d.
126 The Yellow House restaurant, in what used to be The Caulkers
185 Surrey Docks. “Wetherspoons pub. Used to be The Warrior
198 Red Lion, Estate agents used to be a Pub with erotic dancers Sunday lunchtimes.
216 Farrier's Arms251 Dreadnought. Had three storeys with a mock Tudor frontage Comfortable pub with copper artifacts hanging from ceiling. Local history prints on wall in Saloon. Closed and demolished c.1993. Sited Just south of Plough Way, 1849
276 Merry Cricketers A family pub. Locals involved in a great deal of charitable work. Now a convenience store
289-303 Yeoman Terrace looks rather old-fashioned for 1852-4,
Osprey Estate, five-storey slabs by Yorke, Rosenberg & Mardall, 1946-9.
Surrey Quays Station. 7th December 1869. Between New Cross and also New Cross Gate and Canada Water on the East London Line. Opened as ‘Deptford Road’ on the East London Railway 1869 for the line going through Brunel's Thames Tunnel using London Brighton and South Coast Railway trains. In 1877 trains ran to Brighton. In 1884 it was run by the Metropolitan & District Railways from St.Mary’s to New Cross. The line was leased to District, Met, London & Brighton, London, Chatham and Dover, South Eastern and Great Eastern. In 1905 the Brighton service ended and in 1906 Metropolitan services were replaced. The service to Peckham Rye ended in 1911 and the name was changed to ‘Surrey Docks’. In 1913 trains ran from New Cross to South Kensington via. Baker Street. In 1989 the name changed to ‘Surrey Quays’. 2008 closed again for changes. It has substantial cast-iron columns and beams which support the 1869 road bridge above the platforms; and it was one of the remaining substantial cast-iron beamed bridges left. Features in films 'The football factory’
Features in films 'The football factory’
122 Barons Arms. Closed and now flats
Was Rogues Lane. Earl Sluice is said to have flowed parallel with the road to the south west
Sutton Dwellings. Paid for by the charitable trusts of the will of William Richard Sutton who died in 1900. Eight blocks were built in 1915 and in 1967 a ninth, Jura, was added on the site of demolished St.Barnabas Church. The blocks were renamed: - Ayston, Biddenham, Codicote, Deanshanger, Emphingham, Freswick, Graveley, Husbourne. Crèche by the Save The Children's Fund. Tenants did not understand the collective ideas. There is a roof garden with restricted access
19 Prince of Wales
St Barnabas 1873 by Butterfield. Demolished.
Rotherhithe New Road,
Used to be Corbett's Lane or Rogues Lane – the actual lane ran south of and parallel to the modern road. Corbett is said to have been a murderer gibbeted there. Earl Sluice is said to have flowed parallel with the road to the south west
Southwark Park Station 1st October 1905. South East and Chatham Railway, on site of Commercial Docks Station. 1915 March 15th. Loop lines through the station. Extra wide arches. Booking Hall and Office at ground level, ramped approach and platforms, bricked up doorway, 1902-1915, 1967.
Commercial Dock Station. 1856 July. Built by the London and Greenwich Railway. Had a single island platform and entrance in an arch under the viaduct via a path from the south east side of Rotherhithe New Road. It was opened to serve St Helena Gardens but there was no road there. No room at Rotherhithe New Road for the station. 1857 called Corbett’s Lane station. South Park 1905, 1915. Then the North Kent and new main line diverged on the down side. Half Way House pub round the back. 17 arches. In December 1866 it was closed there was a petition to reopen it in 1868 and was later the site of Southwark Park Station.
Rotherhithe Primary School
11 Jolly Waggoner’s. Closed and gone
32 Crystal Tavern. Closed and partly used as a church. London Outreach Center
187 Jolly GardenersPipe crossing the Railway –this carries the Earl Sluice
Rotherhithe Old Road
11 Whelans. Internet café
The current club ground for Millwall Football Club has a high-tech structure made up of four stands which opened in 1993 with access via Zampa Road.
Silverlock, six-storey flats with projecting balconies in a watered-down Lillington Gardens style by Stock Page & Stock, 1977-8.
Silwood Estate Built 1955 onwards and demolished in 2008-9. Had some idealism of the post-war L.C.C. sixteen- storey towers were added in the late 1950s.
Area being extensively rebuilt. Features in film 'The football factory’
Anglo Scottish Oil Co. smallest in world.
Allitt Bus Co.
London and Greenwich Railway was started between here and the Grand Surrey Canal. This meant that the railway was started from the centre.
London and Greenwich Railway - Some early arches pre-1836 were sunk here into Earl Sluice. The stream crossed here –it is now in a sewer, and is the boundary between Deptford and Rotherhithe
London and Greenwich Railway. The line was widened in 1841. George Landmann laid first stone with silver trowel and cavity with coin and glass plate in one of the arches somewhere in this area. The first arch to be occupied as a house was in this are
Vacant ground. Clegg experiments took place here on atmospheric railways
St. Helena Street
Named for The St Helena Tavern and Tea Gardens which was Rotherhithe's chief place of entertainment between c.1770 and 1881. It was on Corbett’s Lane. A now extinguished road that ran south of and parallel to the modern Rotherhithe New Road.
Hobman’s factory. The streets are a special composition of tar and crushed stone made in the factory. Hobman takes the playgrounds for the School Board. He is also a manufacturer of Puppy biscuits which he makes at the east end of the Stockholm Road.
Was previously Coney Hall Lane, and at the northern end Midway Place. Area owned by Haberdasher’s company and leased to Holcombe family. Constant complaints about the many noxious works there - horse slaughterhouse and a catgut factory
Torr Animal Charcoal Factory. Founded 1820. Richard Torr came from north of the river and had an interest in gas industry waste products. His son George Torr expanded these works and retired a rich man to Bourne Hall in Ewell.
Haberdashers' boundary post marking limits of Hatcham Manor, owned by them on the Alloa Road corner
Kent/Surrey boundary markers. Gone
Known as the Hobman's Estate
Access road to The New Den
Little war memorial to the dead of the road in Second World War bombing. Long gone.
Aldous. London Villages
Bennett. The First Railway in London
British Listed Buildings., Web site
British Rail and the Mercury Group.
Cherry & Pevsner. London South
Clunn. The Face of London
English Heritage. Web site
GLIAS Walk and Newsletter
Ideal Homes. Web site
London Borough of Southwark. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
Mills. George Landmann
Nature Conservation in Southwark,
Pub History. Web site
Survey of Industrial Monuments of
Thomas, London’s First Railway,
Transpontine. Blog site
Walford. Village London.