Thames Tributary Neckinger
The Neckinger is said to have flowed down Brook Drive and then across the southern section of the Elephant and Castle interchange. It then turned north east towards Bermondsey Abbey and St.Saviours dock.
Post to the east Bricklayers Arms
Post to the south Camberwell Road
18 Eurotraveller Hotel is a conversion of the old Queen's Head Pub
Police car pound
Pullens Open Space
Impersonal megalomaniac constructions designed by architect Derek Winch and built starting in 1963. There were 2,700 dwellings designed to house roughly 10,000 residents. The final blocks of flats were completed in 1977 and the estate included a nursery, a day centre and a health centre. The estate went through a period of decline in the 1980s. In 1999 the estate was awarded New Deal for Communities status and given £56.2m of central government funding. In 2005, the London Borough of Southwark decided to demolish and replace the dwellings
Michael Faraday School, By the G.L.C. Architect's Department. A good example of the open plan primary school as developed by I. L.E. A. in the 1960s. Exterior with blue cladding and low pitched roofs. To be redeveloped.
93 Henshaw Arms. Gone and replaced by modern housing.
2 Flacks Pub. Gone
32 Victory. Courage Alton brewery pub with an etched glass Jug and Bottle sign. Ornate ceiling pillars. Gone
Beresford Buildings. Home of Augustus Durandeau, Writer of 'if you want to know the time ask a policeman' Gone.
Earliest Guinness Trust Flats, 1891
88 Stroke of Luck, previously the Northumberland Arms
115 Crown Pub. Wenlock Ale house style and decoration.
Walters Close. In 1961 the Drapers' Company built new almshouses called to replace old ones in Draper Street. A decade later they enlarged them to house the residents from Glasshill Street
This was originally called York Street.
Browning Hall. It was demolished in 1950. The Revd Francis Herbert Stead was concerned that old people were being treated unfairly and campaigned for a government pension. In 1899 a national committee was formed with its headquarters at Browning Hall. In 1908 the first Old Age Pensions Act was passed. The Robert Browning Settlement, which continues to do important work today, was started in 1895. Its roots lie in the York Street Chapel which had originally been Lock Field Meeting House, eventually became Browning Hall, named after the poet who was baptised there
3 Fellowship house Independent Church
59 Browning Community Hall
In 1950 this part of Carter Street in was renamed Carter Place
Walworth Police Station. In 1856 the lease on a house and grounds known as Walworth House was bought by the police station. The station was known as Walworth/Carter Street. This police station was demolished in 1909 and the Carter Street station was built and opened in 1910. Carter Street Police Station became a sub-divisional station of M Division with Camberwell as its Sectional Station in 1965. It has a macho reputation in dealing with South London criminals, including the Richardson gang. The Great Train Robbers were also among those known to serving officers.
60 Beehive Pub. There has been a pub on this site since the 1770s. The Beehive was a cricket ground where the Surrey County side played. .
Eternal Sacred Order of Cherubim and Seraphim. Built as Lady Margaret Church. Dates from 1880-9. It is a small red brick mission church. Now closed. Designed by Ewan Christian in Brick, Early English
1 Darwin Court. Housing for Peabody Trust. Housing for the over 50s and community centre for everyone else.
20 Globe Pub, Gone.
126 Queen Anne pub. Gone
East Street links Walworth Road with the Old Kent Road
Walworth Recreation Ground. Might be part of old Walworth Common - London County Council prevented building on it
24 Good Intent
51 Bell Pub previously Royal Albert
109 Mason's Arms
153 George IV. Gone
153a the first family planning clinic. Plaque to Dr.Charles Vickery Drysdale which says ‘a founder of the Family Planning Association, opened his first birth control clinic here in 1921'. Plaque erected 1988.
St Mark demolished 1950. By Jarvis, l874.
Elephant and Castle
Shopping Centre. The popular gilt models, saved when the Elephant and Castle Tavern was demolished in 1959, in front of the shopping centre. Bright pink shopping mall built in the 1960s and often slated for ugliness, soon to be redeveloped again.
Hannibal House. Office block on top of the centre
Elephant and Castle Station. 1st June 1864. Between Blackfriars and Loughborough Junction on Thameslink. Between Blackfriars and Loughborough Junction and also Denmark Hill on South Eastern Trains London Chatham and Dover Railway temporary station 1863 resited. Entrance on Elephant Road and in the shopping centre.
137 an arch used as a bus garage in the 1920s.
70 Huntsman and Hounds pub
Myrrh. Adult Training Centre
English Martyrs School, By L. Stokes, 1904.
Heygate Estate. 1970s estate. Now being demolished.
The Two Caryatids sculpture by Henry Poole, originally created in 1897 for the old Rotherhithe Public Library, stood in a locked garden behind the church for many years, but was removed in 2009
Pain’s Firework Factory in 1830s
King and Queen Street
24 Gladstone Pub
31 Newington Arms Lodge. Was a pub is now housing
Robert Browning Community School
St.John 1851. A ragstone church with tower by H. Jarvis.
Vestry 1912 by Greenaway & Newberry.
Walworth Clinic. Built 1937. Blue plaque to Charles Babbage, computer pioneer, born near here on 1791
Sutherland Congregational Chapel, 1842. Built for the Congregational preacher Dr Edward Andrews. A monumental classical front with two giant Tuscan columns. Closed in 1894 and became a cinema, now housing.
Liverpool Grove Estate. Built under the guidance of Octavia Hill. Group of flats centre by entrance doorway. Big contrast with the Aylesbury Estate built by Cluttons. For the Ecclesiastical commissioners who sold it off against tenants wishes in the late 2000s
St Peter’s Church of England Primary School. Rev George Ainsley purchased land between St Peter’s Church and Sutherland Chapel and a building comprising of two schoolrooms was built in 1839. The National Society funded it. Later, in July 1851, a new school was built in Shaftesbury Street. This was demolished in 1905 and the present school was built.
St.Peter. A Commissioners' church designed in 1823-5 by Sir John Soane. Ionic with a stone steeple and inside it is plain and galleried. In the Second World War bombed and 84 people killed in the crypt. Restored 1954. White marble font made by Garland and Fieldwick, a local firm of masons.
Churchyard a dull park with gravestones around the edge. Maintained as a public garden which was laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association, paid for by Goldsmiths' Company, and opened in May 1895. Monkey Park which was a menagerie kept by a past Reverend, but is now a garden
Pullens Estate. Older tenement blocks with workshops.
154 Duke of Clarence Pub. Closed and now housing
204 Surrey Garden Arms also called Rosie O’Grady’s
Newington Baths and Wash Houses opened on 26 March 1898 and were in use until 1978. Opened by the Parish of Saint Mary. E.B.LI'Anson was the architect. In 1936 improvements were made to the system for cleaning the water in the swimming bath. A new continuous filtration, operating on a two-and-a-half hour turnover, was introduced. This had the most modern method known - Vosmaer Perfect System of Electrolytic Ozonation. Manor Place Baths were the first in Britain to use this ozonation plant. Grade II listed. Renovated by the Kagyu Samye Dzong Tibetan Buddhist Centre who obtained a five-year lease in 2005. They opened it as their London centre, called Manor Place Samye Dzong in 2007.
Townsend Primary School. Named after its benefactor, John Townsend, who was a local minister. The building originally was for deaf and dumb children. There are stone plaques on the outside about this. The school was closed in the 1930s, re-opening in 1951 to meet local demand for school places
24 Gloucester Pub. Closed
42 Queen Elizabeth pub
New Kent Road
Runs due east from the Elephant to Tower Bridge Road.
116 Crown & Anchor
128 Watling House, new development of flats managed by the Landmark Housing Association.
134 Harris Plumbers Merchant. Gone and site turned into housing. This building was Bull’s scenery factory and store.
136-42 Kwick Fit
155 158 Pole Position motorcycle workshop and racing team HQ.
156-170 Listed Grade II, Late 18th terrace. Multi-coloured stock brie
172-180 Driscoll House Hotel was Ada Lewis Hostel for Business Girls opened in 1913. This was a lodging house for 240 women opened by Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll. Closed in 2007. Listed Baroque building
83 is a residence for students at London South Bank University,
95 Tavern Court is a six-storey building managed by Landmark Housing Association, opened in 2005. On the site of County Terrace Tavern
Albert Barnes House, an 18-storey block owned by the London Borough of Southwark. 1964 and contains 99 flats from 1883 to 1886, it was the site of a fish and provisions market promoted by Samuel Plimsoll.
Camberwell and Southwark Junior Commercial and Technical College
County Terrace houses bombed and replaced by flats
County Terrace Tavern now site of Tavern Court. Until the development of the public house in the 19th century the area was fields.
Crossways Mission Crossway Congregational Union, 1905 by Hugh Mackintosh tall asymmetrical tower. Demolished 1950.
David Copperfield Garden, memorial 1932 by the Dickens' Fellowship. In the book David, rested while going to find Betsy Trotwood. The statue lost its head to vandalism. Closed for a re-design in 2006 and had a complete re-landscaping. The original design had benches based on the milestones that David Copperfield passed on his fictional journey, but they have gone as has the memorial.
Falmouth Road Park. Opened March 2006. The bench is made from timber from a London plane tree that once stood on the Tower of London Wharf, and features designs created by local children.
Institute of the Congregational Union
Paragon Garden. Small half-moon shaped garden, named after the building erected on the site in 1787, designed by Michael Searles and demolished in the 1890s when the road was widened.
Public garden with plaque Pilgrim Fathers sailed in the Mayflower from Rotherhithe in 1620 to New England in search of religious freedom. The plaque near the flyover commemorates this.
St Andrew, by Newman & Billing, 1882. Demolished 1950
St. Matthew's Church 1855-7 by H. Jarvis. Ragstone front with tower and spire to one side. Interior remodelled 1926-7 by A.Travers. The arcade columns were encased by Tuscan plaster columns, the clerestory windows added, and the apse closed off by a screen with reredos.
St Matthews at the Elephant a contemporary church and community centre rebuilt in 1993 on the site of the old St Matthews church. The church has particularly good acoustics and hosts musical performances as well as community events and services. The main building is built low, with a separate minimalist iron spire
St Saviour and St Olave's School for Girls, 1903 by Campbell Jones. Later wing 1928. Is an amalgamation of St Olave's Grammar School and St Saviours Grammar School for Boys. The two boys' schools had existed nearby for 300 years. Queen Elizabeth I granted a Royal Charter in 1562 to St Saviour's Grammar School, and in 1571 a similar charter was granted to St Olave's Grammar School . In 1968 the boys in St Olave's Grammar School moved to a new school in Orpington. The girls' school was opened in 1903 by the Prince and Princess of Wales . The school was remodelled in 1961. A new assembly hall, a well-equipped kitchen and four new science laboratories were added. And it was opened by Princess Alexandra in 1964 and is for girls aged 11 to 18,
Welsh Presbyterian Chapel, a listed building built in mixed Queen Anne and Romanesque revival. Since 1991, it has been the main London home of the Brotherhood of the Cross and Star, based in Nigeria and led by Olumba Olumba Oby who followers describe as "the sole spiritual head of the universe". Worshippers wear distinctive white robes
Old Kent Road
Old Kent Road Library. At the junction of the Old and New Kent Roads and demolished in 1968 for the Bricklayers Arms flyover. Foundation stone was laid on 8 March 1907 by Princess Christian. The site was given by Lord Llangattock and his son, the Hon. John Maclean Rolls. Andrew Carnegie, contributed £7,000 towards the building. The architect was Claude Batley. It had a clock tower with a weather vane of a Viking ship. Windows showed the Canterbury pilgrims starting from the Tabard Inn, Sir John Falstaff, John Gower Oliver Goldsmith, Charles Dickens, Eliza Cook, Coventry Patmore, John Ruskin, John Harvard and Andrew Carnegie.
40 Prince Regent pub. gone
Nursery Row. park with plane trees
Walworth main works, original L.C.C. Tram Depot 1891
St.Pauls CofE E Primary School
Surrey Gardens community hall
1 Archduke Charles. Pub. Closed and demolished.
94 Rose and Crown pub
English Martyrs R.C. 1902-3 by F. W. Tasker. Yellow brick exterior. Altar and reredos etc. 1961 by F. G. Broadbent & Partners. Carmelite friars
Victory Primary School
St.Christopher's Church Built 1892 / 1908. Architect: E S Prior / H Passmore Listed: grade 2. Owned and part of the Pembroke College Mission
Pembroke College Mission. Original hall is one of the few works of A&C architect, E.Prior, 1892. The lower part by him the church above completed c. 1908 by H. Passmore. Remodelled as church and hall by Williams & Winkley, 1976. Church of a different, interesting design. Remodelled 1976
137 Lord Nelson pub
The name is ‘Wealawyrth’ in an Anglo-Saxon charter of 1001, and ‘Waleorde’ in the Domesday Book. It means 'enclosed settlement of the Britons', from the Old English. The name is interesting because it indicates the survival of a Celtic population in this area into the Anglo-Saxon period. The district is now indistinguishable from its neighbours, but had an independent existence at Domesday. It extends from the Elephant area south to the edge of Camberwell and is bisected by Walworth Road and the railway from Holborn Viaduct. On the west it touches Kennington and merges with the area around the Old Kent Road. Originally it included the Newington district.
8/9 edge runners in a drug mill for John Waylade Ltd., grinder to the Drug Trade. From 1922 Brome and Skinner. Originally, a little house used for industry instead of a home. Closed because of fire risk in 1978
116-118 Stanhope House. T.Clarke. Electrical contractors.
144-152 John Smith House. Terrace of houses renamed in memory of John Smith, who was leader of the Labour Party from 1992 up to his sudden death in 1994. A former headquarters of the Labour Party,
155-157 Southwark Town Hall 1866. Formerly St. Mary Newington Vestry Hall. It was built in 1864-5 to the designs of Henry Jarvis, district surveyor. It had offices on the ground floor and a vestry hall and two committee rooms on the first floor. In the 1890s it was extended by Jarvis for more office space, linking it to the public library of 1893. From 1900-65 it was the town hall for the Metropolitan Borough of Southwark and later was used as offices and a registry office. The site had belonged to the Fishmongers' Company.
178 Tankard pub. Edwardian Tudor style pub with good chimneys and windows.
195 Herbert Morrison House. London Labour Party Headquarters until the 1990s. This was the Robert Browning Settlement taken over as the London Labour Party headquarters and renamed by them. Browning Hall is incorporated in the building.
204 Monaghan‘s Bar was the King’s Head. Tile work in the doorway with a drinking scene from Shakespeare’s ‘Henry VIII’.
262 Horse and Groom pub. Impressive personalised mirror. Closed and taken over by a bank
267 The Beaten Path was previously called Prince Alfred pub
286 Temple Bar
374 Banana Bar was previously Liam Og’s Tavern. Roof garden
407 Red Lion pub
Cuming Museum. devoted to the history of Southwark, but relics of Michael Faraday. The collection includes Roman and medieval remains; the Marshalsea prison pump; the Dog and Pot shop sign; the Lovett collection of London superstitions and examples of George Tinworth's modelling. The founder was Richard Cumming who with his son gathered objects from around the world. The collection began in 1782 when a Mrs. Coleman gave five year old Richard a copper coin from India and three pieces of fossil. His house soon had his own museum. After his son Henry's death, the contents of the museum became the property Of the Metropolitan Borough of Southwark.
Health Centre built 1937. It was opened on in 1937 and included a tuberculosis centre, dental and sanitary services, an artificial and radiant heat clinic, a maternity and child welfare centre, a solarium and a Public Analyst's Department.
La Bodeguita. Colombian restaurant in the Elephant and Castle mall.
Newington Library - Central Library dates from 1893. It had collections of work about Elizabethan and Jacobean Southwark and books about Faraday and Electrical Science, and ones published by Harvard University. The Michael Faraday Memorial Library was opened in 1927 and a bust of Michael Faraday was given by the Institution of Electrical Engineers,
Strata, 43-storey residential block. Officially called The Castle House in a scheme which minimises energy and used wind turbines and a combined heat and power plant.
Walworth Road Baptist Church, demolished in 1950.