Thames Tributary Effra
Some of the streams which make up the Effra flow northwards
Post to the north Brockwell Park
Post to the east West Dulwich
Post to the south Knight's Hill
Fenstanton Primary School. Name after a large house which stood on the site. It was built in 1873 for a City solicitor
St.Martin’s Community Centre
Brockwell Park (southern half only)
Up to 1537, the area was owned by St. Thomas' Hospital, and then passed through several owners. In 1807 the area of the park was bought by John Blades, a glass merchant. It was developed by Blackburn in the1880s and to create a new public park 78 acres of the estate was bought by London County Council and laid by Lt. Col. J. J. Sexby. The park was opened in 1892. In 1898 a further 43 acres were bought and by 1923 all houses had been demolished.
Brockwell Hall built 1811 for John Blades to replace an original 16th building near Norwood Road. Restored in 1994. Grade II* listed designed by D.R Roper. It has a residential block, a service wing and a stable yard and block. A country villa with three-bay entrance front since used as a park restaurant. Porch with paired Ionic columns and a Domed vestibule inside with simple plasterwork. One room is It is situated along the ridge of the hill in the centre of park. Since 1892 it has had a café and a 'Picture Room' painted with rustic scenes by Henry Strachey, 1897. It was leased to Burroughs, Wellcome and Co. Physiological Research Institute for research into equine fever and diphtheria. Badly damaged in an arson attack in 1990 but since restored.
Barometer and flagpole. The pole near the Mansion flew the London County Council flag. Originally it was part of a weather station, with thermometer, barometer and barograph in a slatted hutch, and a rainfall measure on the ground inside a fence. It was all removed in the Second World War. Brass plate saying ‘Gift from Charles Tritton Coronation Year, July 26, 1902'. Destroyed in a gale 1980s.
Oak tree on what was the lawn of the house. May be 500 years old and one of a line of oaks planted by a monastry to mark a boundary line. It has a girth of 20 feet.
Clock tower. This stands on a high points and was presented, in 1897 by the MP for Norwood, Mr. Charles Tritton, and is a smaller replica of the clock opposite the Victoria Palace Theatre in London. Its tick can be clearly heard by putting your ear to the base.
BandstandBMX track site of Clarence Lodge built 1825.
Water fountain near Herne Hill gate. Now gone but it was a column with a bust of local MP Bristowe on the top and water flowing from the jaws of a lion a young woman in Grecian draperies climbed up to the bust with a laurel wreath plus a Latin Text about donor Bristowe. He died during the opening ceremony for the park
Searchlight in the Second World War. This had a pit for the projector surrounded by a circular footway for the operators to move the traversing arm, plus a blast wall. There was another concrete lined pit with a central post with a metal pipe in the top as the fixing post for a sound locator It had four 'ears' to pick up the sound of enemy aircraft engines,
RAF barrage balloon sites.
Air raid shelters by the Rosendale Road entrance
Underground public shelter built near the Norwood Gate, equipped with bunks and toilet facilities. Had a direct hit and several killed.
Named for George Eliot's book
Tulse Hill School. Large comprehensive, opened 1956, closed and demolished 1990 following issues with subsidence. The School was equipped with workshops and labs oriented to vocational education. The Great Hall has an entirely professional stage lighting system and ex-Rose Hill Cinema organ.
Westmoreland Society School. Opened 1954 for the children of people from Westmoreland who lived within 25 miles of London.
119 -121 Westmoreland Lodge. This site formed part of Brockwell Green Farm, bought by Lord Thurlow in 1785. It was a detached portion of the Manor of Leigham Court and the parish of Streatham. These houses were probably built before 1836
150 Tulse Hill Tavern. Built 1840 it has a walled garden with a fountain.
323 South London Botanical Institute. The institute was founded in 1910 by ex Indian administrator Alan Octavian Hume. It is London's smallest botanic garden densely planted with more than five hundred labelled species from around the world. British plants are a specialty, as are medicinal and carnivorous plants and ferns. Herbarium and botanical library. Brick Victorian house
Named for George Eliot's work
Road built as part of a development of 1845 by the Cressingham/Edwards estate.
Holy Trinity. 1855 – 56 BY Thomas Denville Barry. Listed grade 2. It was built on land from the estate of Jonah Cresingham. It is brick faced with Kentish ragstone with bath stone dressings. Decorated door with naturalistic vine foliage. The parish is now Holy Trinity with St.Matthais.
Named for Thomas Tulse who was Lord Mayor of London in 1680. The area was laid out before 1821 on part of Brockwell Park estate by Daniel Gould for the Cressingham/Edwards estate, originally as a posh private road.
St Martin's Estate, 1954, London County Council housing
Silwood Hall, originally Berry House. Now makes up the front part of St Martin-in-the-Fields High School for Girls. This is one of the oldest schools for girls in Britain. Established in 1699 by the parish of St Martin-in-the-Fields in Westminster. .It was relocated here in 1928 it is now a comprehensive voluntary-aided high school with technology college status.
Upper Tulse Hill
132 Lambeth Jubilee Barracks TA Centre. 253 Provost Company which is a sub unit of 4 RMP, and, provides support to 101 Logistic Brigade
St Martin’s Library Centre. The derelict library was taken over as a community resource and is now run by High Trees Community Development Trust.