Saturday, 23 October 2010

Thames Tributaries – Norbury Brook feeding the River Wandle - Addiscombe

Thames Tributaries – Norbury Brook feeding the River Wandle
The Norbury Brook rises just off the Lower Addiscombe Road and flows north and west towards the Wandle
The Ravensbourne is fed by water from springs in this area


Post to the north Selhurst
Post to the east Addiscombe


Addiscombe. This means 'Addi’s enclosed land'. As the two places are quite near, it is possible that this is same individual recorded in Addington. The area was built up when land was released by the Royal Military College for the East India Army, whose cadets moved to Woolwich in 1862. Laid out by the British Land Company south of the SER station.  It is now a suburban area to the east of Central Croydon

Canning Road
Name of the road is for Charles Canning, 1st Earl Canning who was Governor General of India 1856-1862 and first Viceroy 1858-1862 and reflects the presence of the East India College.
St.Mary Magdalene. A high timber roof and a tower which is a freemason’s symbol while the furnishings reflect an ex-rabbi's tastes. Designed by E.Buckton Lamb, 1868-70 and not finished until 1930. The church started as St Paul’s founded by local residents, and paid for by Robert Parnell, the priest being his was -in-law - a converted rabbi Maxwell M. Ben Oliel. But the congregation fell when ritualistic services began in 1872, and the church was sold to St Mary Magdalene, then in a temporary building nearby. Inside big beams rest on marble columns, standing on brackets. Around the sanctuary are the twelve apostles on marble panels.
Vicarage by E. B. Lamb's for St Mary Magdalene, 1870,

Capri Road
The Norbury Brook runs from Grant Road and meanders through the old railway lines to Dalmally Passage

Cherry Orchard Road
A cherry orchard stood in this area but previously it was Coney Lane.
98 Oval Primary School
81 The Glamorgan. Once called The Grouse and Claret and also once called the Horse and Groom
112 The Orchard was Cherry Orchard pub.
Cherry Orchard Methodist Church built 184. Now offices.

Clyde Road
Name of the road is for Field Marshal Colin Campbell, 1st Baron Clyde and reflects the presence of the East India College.

Dalmally Road
The Norbury Brook runs past here from Capri Road to Northway Road

East India Way
New housing on the site of old Addiscombe Station.
Addiscombe Railway Park – new park on the old railway line. On a level and slightly raised embankment. Bramble and scrub. Old sleepers used for signage

Elgin Road
Name of the road is for James Bruce, 8th_Earl of Elgin - Viceroy of India 1861-1863 and reflects the presence of the East India College.

Freemasons Road
Davidson's Lodge, elderly accommodation for Croydon Council with Croydon Neighbourhood Care in the Central Hall. It was built as the Freemasons' Asylum, 1852 by S. W. Daukes, for the Royal Masonic Benevolent Association. Red brick with blue brick and stone decoration.

Gloucester Road
60 St John’s Ambulance
80 Victory works of the Oliver Typewriter Co, this was an American company whose British branch opened here in 1928. Now Access Self Store

Grant Road
Named for Sir Hugh Grant, a soldier involved in the Indian Mutiny.
Norbury Brook known as the Beverley Water or Spring, locally since it is there seems to be a presence near the Scout Hall.
Beverley Hall Scout HQ. Built 1927 and refurbished following floods in 1993. Roman House. Mansell construction company head quarters.

Havelock Road
The name reflects the interests of the East India College and Major General Henry Havelock
Flats in the old gymnasium built 1854/5 for the Hon. East India Co. In brick with stone dressings.

Lebanon Road
Flats on the site of the Co-op's delivery and bottle sterilisation plant on the corner with Leslie Park Road. The plant set new standards which were copied around the world. Milk when delivered to customers must be no more than 36 hours old.

Leslie Park Road
65 Builders Arms
56-59 Gaybank Construction Co
41 New Moon Recording Studio, painted bright blue and semi derelict

Lower Addiscombe Road
Croydon Tramlink tracks along here run at street level whereas the old railway formation ran up above.
62 Leslie Arms. Grade II listed pub. Closed for a long time. Also for a while called shocks
127 Alma Tavern
Addiscombe Station. Originally called ‘Addiscombe Road Croydon’. In 1861 the South Eastern Railway wanted to extend to Redhill from Beckenham and so opened this station in 1864 and the line ended in a turntable against the station front wall. In the 1880s there was a train service to Liverpool Street. In 1899 it was rebuilt as a red brick station with a gated forecourt on to the road but it could not compete with East Croydon and eventually in 1939 it was just a shuttle service from Elmers End. At the north end of the platforms were four disused carriage sheds which were said to be haunted. In 1955 it was renamed ‘Addiscombe’. In 1997 the Station closed because of the opening of the Tramlink although it is west of the new tram stop. In 2000 new housing was built on the station site and it became a in a close called East India Way – this followed an attempt to turn it into a railway museum. There is an old railway retaining wall on the east side of the new close and there are some sections of station wall at the entrance.
Cab approach from Addiscombe Road and turntable.
Depot was demolished around the same time as the station in 2001.
Goods yard closed June 1968
Train cleaning sheds erected by Southern Railway in the late 1920s.
Chestnuts House and chestnut trees were on the site of bridge over the pond in the East India College grounds
Church of the Nazarene. Victorian mission church and hall
Havelock House. Flats on the corner of Havelock Road. The site here was once known as Coldstream and was the spring headwater of the Norbury Brook.
98 Flats on the site of Turners Removal Co, original depot.
Christ Church Methodist. The church dates from the 1960s but is the amalgamation of two older Methodist congregations – one in Cherry Orchard and one in Lower Addiscombe Road

Morland Road
John Morland owned Morland Park with its entrance near the Leslie Arms.
Board Schools, 1891 by R. W. Price.
St. Martin’s church was on the corner of Stretton Road. Built 1902 as a chapel of ease to St.James. It was eventually merged with St. Mary Magdalene and demolished in 1994.

Northway Road
The Norbury Brook runs from Dalmally Passage before passing under the triangle of railway lines at Selhurst.
Outram Road
The road name reflects the East India College and Lt General Sir James Outram, 1st Baronet Outram
Addiscombe Place, this was at the junction with Mulberry Place. It had been the home of Hon Maberley MP and became the East India Co College for Engineering in 1809. Originally built in 1702 to Vanbrugh's design. And it replaced an Elizabethan house.In 1809 Emelius Ratcliffe sold it to the British East India Company, and it became the Addiscombe Military Academy. The company’s army officers were trained here. Following the Indian Rebellion of 1857 the British East India Company was closed down and the college itself closed in 1861 and was sold to developers. It was blown up with dynamite.
Lake in the grounds was one of the head waters of the Ravensbourne.

Oval Road
131 Oval Tavern

Sources
Christ Church. Web sit
Connor & Halford. Forgotten Stations of Greater London
Croydon Scouts. Web site
Disused Stations. Web site
Field. London Place Names
London Borough of Croydon. Web site
London Encyclopedia
Norwood History. Web site
Penguin. Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. South London 
Pevsner and Cherry.
Stewart. History of Croydon

St. Mary Magdalene. Web site
Wagstaffe and Pullin. Beckenham anthology,

2 comments:

The Foggy Knitter said...

http://maps.nls.uk/os/london-1890s/ This map shows the source of the Norbury Brook as being considerably further along Grant Road than the Mansell hq, thought it might be of interest

Nelsoni said...

Fascinating stuff. I used to live near Streatham vale and passed the river Graveney every day en route to school. I have just been looking up info on the Graveney and stumbled across your site which actually mentions a river flowing close to Lower Addiscombe road in Croydon. I live just off Lower Addiscombe Road and am extremely interested that there is a hidden river nearby. Is there a map showing where it is?

Many thanks,

Paul