Sunday, 7 November 2010

Thames Tributaries – the River Graveney - Streatham Vale

Thames Tributaries – the River Graveney
The Graveney continues to flow westwards towards the Wandle


Post to the west Gorringe Park
Post to the south Streatham Common

Abercairn Road
The Graveney flows under the road

Aberfoyle Road
Gravel pit in this area until the 1920s.

Blegborough Road
Streatham Conservative ClubStreatham Park Laundry
109 The Muse. Old print factory as part of large converted factory complex to the rear of the road
115 West Streatham Methodist church, now flats in a decorative tower. Main building used by a nursery and the conservative club. Connects through to an old chapel at the rear in Eardley Road.

Braeside Road
The Graveney flows parallel and south of the road

Broadview Road
Gravel pit in this area until the 1920s.

Cunliffe Street
Eardley Primary School


Eardley Road
88e Furzedown Primary Care Centre in an old chapel which connects to the now converted buildings of West Streatham Methodist Church in Blegborough Road.
162 Streatham Vale Library. Closed in 2002 and since used as a nursery school
160 St John’s Church, used as a balloon factory

Estreham Road
Estreham is an old spelling interpretation of Streatham.
Streatham Common Scout Group
26 Hyderi Islamic Centre

Farmhouse Road
The Graveney flows parallel and north of the road. The area was covered by the fields of Elm Farm.

Granton Road
Granton School


Greyhound Lane
Greyhound Lane Farm. Here until the 1920s.
The Railway pub. Includes Streatham Comedy Club

Masters Mews
Giving access to converted factory complex behind Blegborough Road

Potters Lane
Christ’s Love Gospel Church

Rackham Mews
Giving access to converted factory complex behind Blegborough Road

Railway Lines
Streatham Junction. The Tooting, Merton and Wimbledon Railway opened from here in October 1868
Streatham Junction. Peckham Rye to Sutton Line opened from here in October 1868 by LBSCR
Streatham Junction. Signal box, 1930s. For electric signalling, redundant since 1980.

Roden Road
The Graveney flows under the road

Rook Road
The Graveney passes the southern end of the road

Sherwood Avenue
The Graveney flows parallel and south of the road

Streatham Vale
The Graveney flows under the road. Before the 1920s this area was covered by the fields of Kidner’s Dairy Farm. The road was a farm track called Lonesome Lane.
Streatham Vale used to be known as “Lower Streatham” and also 'south Streatham'.
130 Vale Veterinary Clinic probably the farmhouse for Elm Farm.
Streatham Common Station. 1862. Between Norbury and Streatham and also Balham on Southern Rail. Opened as ‘Greyhound Lane’ but in 1875 the name was changed to ‘Streatham’. Solid, unexciting, pile, virtually as rebuilt by LBSC Railway c.1903.

No comments: