This page represents only sites on the south side of the river.
Thames Tributary Beverley
The Beverley has been flowing north but now turns abruptly east towards the Thames at Barn Elms.
Upmarket riverside residential area. 19th housing in pleasant leafy areas with a lot of open space. There is an open riverside with pubs, housing and facilities. Some industrial sites persisted into the 1980s but these are now all apparently converted into something nice
This post shows sites south of the river only. North of the river is Chiswick Dukes Meadow more sport
Post to the south Barnes Common
Post to the east Barnes
Post to the north Lonsdale Road and Old Chiswick
Post to the west Riverside Mortlake and Chiswick Dukes Meadow sports
St. Ann’s Road
Built in 1903 on the grounds of St.Ann’s House – mansion built for Jamaica merchant c.1765.
In the past the land of which Barnes consists was owned by St.Paul's Cathedral – hence the presence of St.Paul’s School. St Paul's also controlled the local church and chose the rector. The village grew up around its green. Barnes was very cut off and it was not until the 19th that there was any access apart from via the river or from across the common. There was one road only – that from Mortlake along the terrace.
What is now known as Barnes Green is the remains of the old village common. It is first noted as ‘Berne grene’ in 1443. Its appearance is of a traditional village green with a duck pond in the middle and a central area where swans have nested. This pond, originally called ‘The Great Pond;’ however is the only one of four to survive and which used to be fed by the Beverley Brook but now it depends on rainwater and is also topped up with water from the mains.
The site of the great west end of the medieval manor, when Thorne Passage and Beverley Path formed a short cut across the fields by-passing Barnes . In the middle ages this was called Geseland – soggy meadows where geese were kept.
Westfields House. 19th house which was the hone of local brewer Benjamin Thorne. A brick wall of Mr Thorne's residence Coach House remained in the 10th the house became Lily’s Laundry
1 remaining part of Mansion House
7 Sun Inn, overlooking the pond. Probably pre-18th. Behind it is a private crown bowls green.
15 Barclays Bank. An early part of a development in the area which did not proceed any further, towering Edwardian frontage.
Barnes Green Day Centre. Victorian girls’ school closed in the 1920s. This had originally been in two cottages let to the parish as a school for twenty children in 1775. It was rebuilt in 1854 but was still very overcrowded and in 1870 the boys were moved to a different school.
43-45 Convent of the Sacred Heart - 18th and also Victorian Gothic.
10 Early 19th brick house, listed Grade 2
Named for Cleveland House which was on the Green. The road was built up in the late 19th
Library opened in the 1940s in an old wartime decontamination centre, closed 1951.
Named for the site of the Lowther family, Lord Lonsdale, estates
Elm Bank Gardens
Named for Elm Bank Mansion
St.Michael and All Angels. Anglo Catholic church Built 1891/3 by Charles Innes in red brick. Listed Grade II.
On the site of what was Essex House.
Flats on the site of the Richmond Union Workhouse built in 1836 which took people from the entire surrounding district. Eventually it became a house and then a hotel.
Estate agents reflect the popularity of the area .It was originally called Barnes Street and was the route from the Green to the river connecting the Putney ferry, the manor house at Mortlake and the palace at Richmond. Eventually it became part of the Lower Richmond Road
27 Coach and Horses. Former coaching inn, leased by Young's since 1831. Small and big garden -with a boules pitch.
70 Rose House is Old Rose pub first in the records in 1632, part of which survives.
Marconi International Marine Communications Co., with large radio mast in the 1920s.
Built in the 1920s as the first council housing in Barnes, and a slum clearance scheme.
373 Bulls Head pub. Opposite the site of she old village wharf. It was originally the Rayne Deer and then later the Kings Head. Dates from 1684 but Rebuilt in 1745 at the Bulls Head., big jazz venue.
Waterman’s Arms. This pub was built in 1850 and converted to restaurant use in the 1980s.
Name of the family of Lord Lonsdale
Previously known as Back Lane. The name records a malthouse which stood here fronting onto
Bronze Age spear head found upstream of the railway bridge
Barnes Railway Bridge. Built by the London & South West Railway for their Richmond and Hounslow Loop. Designed by Locke & Errington and the contractor was Thomas Brassey. It was opened in August 1849 with three spans made of cast iron, a timber deck and Brick piers faced in Bramley stone. It is used as a grandstand for the boat race and no trains run then. It was rebuilt in 1895 by Edward Andrews with wrought iron bowstring trusses above the cast iron arches and a public footpath on the down side. It is a local landmark and Listed Grade II. Some of the original railway bridge survives upstream of the present bridge.
The Old Sorting Office Arts Centre. This is on the site of Cleveland House 18th house later used as Barnes Steam Laundry and then taken over as a chocolate factory. Demolished in 1926 and replaced by this building which was a chocolate, ice cream and cake factory which later became, in 1958, the Barnes Sorting Office.
Milbourne House. In the 1400s this belonged to Sir William Milbourne, who was MP for Surrey in 1370 and was referred to as in ‘Melbornes’ 1443. It was however once called Ratcliffe House and in the 16th was part of a brick works. Later tenants included the 18th novelist Henry Fielding, and a commemorative plaque was put on the building in 1978, Fielding lived here in the early 1750s; and probably wrote his last book, Amelia, here. It has an irregular front but it is older behind where there is a possible Elizabethan fireplace in the entrance hall and the remains of a Jacobean staircase.
Methodist church. 1906. Conventional red brick on an ambitious scale. Unfinished tower first opened as a mission to gypsy families on the common
2 Essex House. One of a number of large houses that used to surround the green. Mid 19th . What remains is part of large house with Late 16th origins changed in the late 17th and in mid 18th.
Creek Bridge built for the Beverley below
Built in the 1920s as the first council housing in Barnes, and a slum clearance scheme.
Site of Hermitage Cottage. The author, Monk Lewis, lived here on and off from about 184l to 1918. His nickname came from a 1l795 publication, The Monk.
Stretches of houses along the riverside. It became built up as residential area in the 18th and some houses date from then, Until 1860s it remained an area of market gardens but in the mid 1860s land was bought by British Land Co for housing,.
St.Ann’s House. Built 1765 with large grounds now under St.Ann’s Road. It was the home of the Earl of Lonsdale 1865-1872., Demolished 1900.
Elm Bank Mansion. built 1760. Since demolished.
2.18th 3-storey house with attic storey and balconies Listed Grade II
3 with a porch and balcony with wooden trelliswork. 18th 3-storey house, listed Grade II
7 and 7a 18th building, with a canopied balcony to the first floor and the roof is a balcony for the second floor.
10 red brick house with a plaque to Gustav Holst. The composer lived here from 1908 to 1913 while teaching music at St Paul’s girls’ school in Hammersmith.
11a, a former factory site, built up with houses in Georgian style in 1981-2 by E. Hill
27 home of Count & Countess d’Antraigues who were murdered here by their servant in 1812
28 18th with a first floor balcony and railings to windows. Listed Grade II
31 18th houses, built of brick with a continuous first floor balcony with cast-iron railings. Listed Grade II
White Hart late 19th pub with corner turret. It was the site of the Kings Arms in 1662 and renamed in he 18th. Viewing point for the boat race.
Jetty at the White Hart which in the 1920s was a stopping place for Margate steamers.
Barnes Bridge Station. Opened in 1916 Between Barnes and Chiswick on South Western Trains. It was thus opened during the First World War and on the first day of electric working. It was the last new station opened by the London and South West Railway, Sited near the riverside it is almost invisible but has a street level entrance with an iron and glass awning. It is marginally nearer to the village centre than its predecessor. It has a timber building and a tiled subway where there was once a booking office, replaced by a ticket office on the up platform. In 1989 the roofing was removed from the platforms, the waiting rooms opened out and the rest let as offices.
This is the site of the west end of the medieval manor. Thorne Passage and Beverley Path formed a short cut across the fields and by-passed Barnes .The area was however disrupted in the 19th by the building of the railway embankment and the passage has been slightly realigned.
The road is named for Benjamin Thorne who had a local brewery.
Wall of Westfield House alongside the passage, may be 17th
The road name reflects the property ownership of the Earl of Lonsdale.
The Beverley runs alongside the road
14 small house plus a bridge over the Beverley Brook. Designed By Timothy Rendle, 1967-8.
Beverley Works. Housing on the site of the Beverley Aeroplane Works which developed from a saw mill opened in 1904. In the First World War they made aeroplane components and in 1924 designed a posh car called the Beverley Barnes. Taken over and became the Omes Works making aeroplane parts with a special electro forging technique. Closed in 1971, Gates are preserved on site.
Bulls Head. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
English Heritage. Blue Plaque Guide
Field. London Place Names
Greater London Council. Thames Guidelines
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Symonds. Behind the Blue Plaques of London
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group. Report
Wheatley and Meulenkamp. Follies