Saturday, 18 December 2010

Thames Tributary Green Lanes Stream - Epsom

Thames Tributary Green Lanes Stream
The stream rises in this area and flows north to join the Hogsmill

Blenheim Road
Green Lanes Stream passes under both arms of the road, flowing northwards.
Epsom Coaches and Buses. The company was founded by Herbert R Richmond in 1920 with one ModelT Ford charabanc which was garaged at 38a High Street, Epsom. In 1934 they moved to 37a South Street and by 1939 they had six coaches and six horseboxes- eleven of which were taken for the war leaving the company with one coach. After the Second World War the company took over Leatherhead Coaches and Bookham Saloon Coaches, and began to concentrate on passenger transport and opened a travel agency. The headquarters was moved to Blenheim Road. In 1986 the company began to run local bus routes operating as Epsom Buses.
Chase Road
Houses developed here after 1928.

Felstead Road,
Green Lanes Stream flows northwards under the road near to its junction with Longmead Road

Hook Road
National Telephone Company's Exchange. The original manual telephone exchange in Epsom was opened in 1893 by the National Telephone Company. The site has since been redeveloped.
Victorian post box. Near the junction of Miles Road cast iron manufactured by Handyside & Co, Derby and London.
School

Long Grove Road
Cricket ground
Southfield Park Primary School, new school opened in 2004.

Longmead Estate
Developed on the site of a sewage works. Epsom Board of Health sewage treatment sites established in Ewell. When this was no longer needed the sites were developed during the 1960s.
Miles Road
Brickfield site. A clay extraction site between the LSWR line and Hook Road. Now partly occupied by houses built in the last years of the 19th

Pound Lane
Housing built to house the staff of the various local hospitals.
Court Recreation Ground. Named for Epsom Court and opened in 1924.
Epsom Court..Site of the old manor house for Epsom whch by the 18th had become a farmhouse and stood in Pound Lane.
Surrey County Council school built 1907.
Sewage – Epsom’s sewage was irrigated on to the farm lands here.

Temple Road
St. Barnabas 1909 built to replace an iron mission and to serve the many hospital workers in the area

The Chase
Estate built here in the early 1930s.

Tomlin Court
On the site of the Epsom Isolation Hospital.

Waterloo Road
Shops and houses developed in this area after 1928.
Fire Station in the early 20th

http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/2010/12/thames-tributary-hogsmill-ewell_18.html

The Green Lanes stream is said to originate at Baron's Pond which is on the south east corner of Epsom Common near Woodcote.

No comments: