Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Thames Tributary Effra - Herne Hill

Thames Tributary Effra
A number of tributaries meet in the Herne Hill area and then flow northwards
.

Post to the west Brockwell Park
Post to the north Denmark Hill
Post to the south West Dulwich


Burbage Road
On the line of an old cart track going from Dulwich Village to Hare Hill. It is one of only a few ancient east west links in the area.
A tributary of the Effra from Dulwich coming via Belair reached Burbage Road and then ran to Half Moon Lane5 Garden of a member of The Society of Botanical Artists.
Railway Viaduct on either side of the road. Over the London Chatham and Dover Railway. It is faced in red brick with a perforated parapet, and ‘DC' alternating with '1866' on concrete medallions.
Herne Hill stadium. This is considered to be the home of track cycling in the U.K. the Velodrome opened in 1892 and was used in the 1948 Summer Olympics with Reg Harris. Its original, and unlisted, grandstand survives. It began through the efforts of the racing cyclist, George Lacey-Hillier, who floated a company called the London County Athletic Ground Limited which laid down a track in 1892. A stadium was built by Peacocks of Water Lane, Brixton, who held the lease until 1945. A cinder track inside the cycle track was used for athletics. In 1896 a concrete track was laid with 3 laps to the mile, 30ft wide and with good bankings at each end, and considered to be one of the fastest tracks in the world. 24-hour races were watched by crowds of thousands. During the Second World War the grounds became an RAF a balloon base and then the old cement track began to crack. Through Hon. Philip Noel Baker permission was granted to cover the track with bitumen so the 1948 Olympic Games cycle events could be held there. In 1945 the National Cyclists Union took over the lease from Peacocks but the running costs were so expensive that the Greater London Council took it over in 1959. It was totally redeveloped and is now a 450 metre banked oval, constructed of all weather concrete and reputed to be the fastest outdoor track in the United Kingdom. In 2005 Southwark Council refused further funding but Dulwich College Estates, the landowners, agreed a further three year lease.

Casino Avenue
Casino Avenue Estate. An estate of ‘Homes for Heroes; built with direct labour by Camberwell Council On the site of the grounds of Casino House. Built in 1920-1 on Guild principles, organized by the Office of Works under, Sir Frank Baines, and widely admired for the speed and efficiency of its operations and the quality of its architecture. Baines relied on careful site planning and contrasted steeply pitched tile roofs with plain rendered walls. Since designated as an area of special character. The area retains a remnant of the earlier landscaping by Repton.
Casino House. This was the most impressive house in the area and the Home of William Gover, statistician and actuary and City Common Councillor. It was also the home of Joseph Bonaparte Uncle of the dictator. The name 'Casino' comes from the casino built here in 1797 by Nash. The house was demolished in 1906.

Croxted Road
The name means crooked and this was Croxted Lane. Said to be a Pilgrim Road
A tributary of the Effra having meandered along Croxted Lane reached Half Moon Lane and then turned towards the site of what is now Herne Hill Station
Elmwood Road
Big elm tree there

Frankfurt Road
Local big house name 1902.

Half Moon Lane
One of the few ancient east west road in the area, it follows the general, slope of the Effra basin.
A tributary of the Effra from Dulwich coming via Belair reached Burbage Road and then ran to Half Moon Lane. Another tributary of the Effra which had meandered along Croxted Lane to Half Moon Lane and then turned towards the site of what is now Herne Hill Station
The alignment with Red Post Lane changed when the railway was built. Half Moon Lane used to go along the drive of Long Mead
Camberwell Elm - the remains may or may not be there. It was opposite the bottom end of Ruskin Walk inside a front garden. It is an extremely old tree - dating it is said from the 14th. In 1875 a drawing of it appeared in Ye Parish of Camberwell by William Harriett Blanch - It was then 36 ft in girth.
Ireland Green. Shown on old maps straddling the road near the elm. Named after members of the Ireland family
10 Half Moon pub. Cheerful corner pub of 1896, decked out with bay windows, balconies, and marble columns. The site was first built in the 17th. Boxing gym upstairs.

Herne Hill
This represents a gap in the hillside, a geological fault which allows water to flow down to join the Effra. The Dulwich branch came into the area at roughly the railway bridge by the Half Moon and were joined there by tributaries.
Effra - the exact channel of the Effra is unclear but tributaries to it met here - coming from Knights Hill in the west and Half Moon Lane to the east. John Ruskin, said that his first artistic sketch showing a bridge over the Effra at Herne Hill.
Means Heron Hill. First noted as Herne Hill in 1789, probably named from a field called Le Herne c.1495, that is "the angle or corner of land’. Or the name may relate to a family called Herne – George and Benjamin Herne were herein the 17th. It was part of the medieval manor of Milkwell. The road was for a long time restricted to homes for the very wealthy.
St.Paul. much praised by Ruskin. A 1858 rebuilding by Street of a Commissioners’ church of dating from 1843-4 by G. Alexander, for hymn writer Mrs. Simpson but which had been damaged by fire. There is a monument to Captain James Horsbach, 1836, navigator and hydrographer, with a relief of a ship. There is also a tablet to John Ruskin recording his early life at Denmark Hill. The stained glass was mostly lost in the Second World War.
Vicarage, by Street with Gothic detail.
26 plaque to John Ruskin 1819-1900 which says 'man of letters lived in a house on this site'. Ruskin's father, moved here when John was four and the whole area was countryside. Plaque erected 1926.
30 Ruskin

Island gardens
Effra Bridge where the railway line is and the Langbourne joined it. Whole area was three manors, of Bodney, Upgrove and Scarlettes belonging to St.Thomas Hospital Southwark. Later owners were the Leigh family in 1486 and later Speaker Onslow. The railway is on an embankment because of the marshy ground.

Nairne Grove
Named either for the Kings Surveyor who helped Alleyn in 1614, or a Capt. Nairne who served under Nelson and lived in Dulwich, or a Schools Manager.

North Dulwich
The area bounded by Red Post Hill, Herne Hill and Half Moon Lane were the grounds of Dulwich House. This was the home of Thomas Lett, timber merchant in the early 19th. The estate trustees offered leases to developers and work started from 1902. They required each property to be priced above £400.

Norwood Road
The Effra ran down Norwood Road from Croxted Road to Herne Hill, where it was joined by two tributaries
Red Post Lane.
Was called Ashpole Lane then Red Post. The alignment with Half Moon Lane changed when the railway was built.
Pond House and Lydenhurst, was site of Coppenhalle owned by Tiler in 13th. Cedar tree
Site of two schools, Penfield in 13th.
Milestone at the foot of the hill, before the rise to North Dulwich station, It shows the distance from 'the Standard Cornhill' and 'the Treasurey White hall' at 4- miles.
White Hart. This tavern was here until 1801.
North Dulwich Station. 1868 Between Tulse Hill and East Dulwich on Southern Rail. Built for the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway by Charles Barry Jun. With red brick with cream pilasters, stone dressings, and a loggia in stone. Contemporary timber and corrugated iron platform canopies
Finger Post at the junction between Village Way and Red Post Hill.
St.Faith, 1958/9, closed. Built in 1907 in red brick, small, with a slate roof, Designed by David Nye & Partners.
Church Hall built 1907-8 by Greenaway & Newberry in Arts and Crafts style and used as a church until the construction of St.Faith’s.
Sunray Gardens. Part of the Grounds of Casino House. 15 acres of grounds landscaped by Repton. Bought for development by Camberwell Borough Council in the 1920s.

Ruskin Walk
Previously called Simpson’s Lane

Village Way
Lodge of Dulwich Place is in the triangle site of Dulwich Place. It belongs to Kings College, Dept of Plant Services.
Lydenhurst. Early c 18, five windows wide, red-brick dressings,
Pondmead entry
Pond House now flats, with the grounds built up. Small but with a grand 18th centre,

Winterbrook Road
Line of streams coming from local playing fields and heading for a gap at Herne Hill which would allow the water to flow down into the Effra

Woodquest Avenue
Patio houses and old people's flats by Borough of Lambeth. Small-scale infilling on a sloping site. 1970.

Thames Tributary Effra - West Dulwich

Thames Tributary Effra
It is conjectured by some that streams from Dulwich Park flow west to reach the Effra in the Herne Hill area, via Belair Park and surrounding fields.

Post to the west Tulse Hill
Post to the north Herne Hill
Post to the east Dulwich
Post to the south West Dulwich


Burbage Road
A tributary to the Effra flows to Burbage Road from Belair Park

Croxted Road
Was originally known as Croxted Lane and follows the line of the Effra

Gallery Road
Belair. Built around 1785 for John Willes, a Whitechapel corn merchant, it was originally known as 'College Place'. In 1806 he undertook 'to drain the land between Dulwich Road and 'the Sheet of Water'. After he died, the name was changed to Belair. Later residents were Charles Ranken, a solicitor from 1829, and Charles William Cookworthy Hutton, a 'Berlin Wool Manufacturer and Wholesaler'. During this time over ten acres of land was sold to the railway by Dulwich College. The last owner was Sir Evan Spicer, paper manufacturer and Chairman of London County Council and when he died in 1938 it was sold by auction. During the Second World War it was used as a store by Evan & Co and the military occupied it for a time. In 1946 the Borough of Southwark leased it as a park - there is a plaque on the wall about this. Grade II listed. The house is now a restaurant.
Lake is a branch of the Effra. Ducks - or – the lake not the Effra. Part of the remains of stream system which drains the ridge. There was also a millpond in this area.
A tributary to the Effra flows to Burbage Road from Belair Park.
The playing fields in this area were marshy meadows where small streams, some underground, ran towards the Effra. They were joined by streams from both the area now Dulwich park and by others from what is now Crystal Palace. The name of Dulwich relates to these meadows- fields where the dill flower grows.
Stable block 18th and lodge 19th.
A 10-acre park laid out as a suitably grand setting for Belair House. Informal sloping lawns in the English landscape tradition, with ancient trees, shrubberies and some rose beds, sweeping down to a long serpentine lake. Cork tree, alder and a Bald Cypress in the grounds.
Lloyds Register Athletic Ground
Old College Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club and Cricket Club

Glazebrook Close
Named after members of the Glazebrook family who were pupils at Dulwich College. One of them was the first man to clear six feet in the high jump and, became High Master at Manchester Grammar School and Headmaster at Clifton. Hugh Glazebrook who was a painter. And R.T. Glazebrook was Foreign Secretary in 1924.
Council housing on the site of Milne’s small holding, the last farm in Dulwich from which he was evicted in 1954.

Guernsey Grove
New Testament Church of God St.John’s Church Hall. Built as St. John the Evangelist. In 1912 as a mission church for the parish of Holy Trinity, Tulse Hill. A simple red brick building. Still in use by Anglicans in 1962. As of 2006 it is also used by the New Tidings Community Outreach Group and the African-Caribbean Mental Health Association.

Knights Hill
Name relates to a family who owned land in the area in the 16th. The hill itself is to the east of Tulse Hill. Now Thurlow Hill.

Lovelace Road
All Saints Church. Badly damaged by fire and since refurbished. Gothic revival church on a steep slope. By George Fellowes Prynne 1891. It had an outside staircase. The land was given by Dulwich College but there was never enough money to finish it so a tower was never built. It was badly damaged in the Second World War, and restored in 1952-1 by J. B. S. Camper who rebuilt where the big tower should have been.

Peabody Hill
Views of Brockwell Park, and beyond. Woodland and grassland, and rail side habitats. Oak woodland.
Peabody Estate 4 blocks of five floor flats, two streets of houses, 1901/8 and community hall of 1910. It is on the hill top because of research into building on clay.

Pymers Mead
The name was supposed to be Pinners Mead but was spelt wrong. This is new housing on bomb sites.

Rosendale Road
63 Rosendale
Railway Bridge on the Tulse Hill branch, 1869. Three-arches with red and cream brickwork. Designed like this for landowners Dulwich College.
Rosendale Playing Fields119/129 bombed in the Second World War 3 killed.
Express Dairy1899. Footpath to 1970s estate up the hill.
Knights Hill Tunnel. On the L.B.S.C.R. line of 1866-8 by R. J. Hood. Elaborate portals
Knights Hill coal depot
Above the railway tunnel is a cinder heap. This was a temporary brick works?
War memorial on the Peabody Estate. Small half-timbered structure which commemorates Peabody tenants who died in the Great War. The resident estate manager was killed during an air raid in the Second World War
Rosendale Primary School. Bailey. 1899

Thurlow Park Road
One of the main streams of the Effra meanders under Clive Road. It joins the other branch near where Thurlow Park Road and Croxted Road meet.
From Thurlow Park Road one stream ran meandering alongside what now the railway is following the east side of a hill. Croxted Lane followed the line of it.

Lord Thurlow, Lord Chancellor in 1778, lived in this area. He commissioned a Mansion House from Holland in an area which has since been built on. He is said to have been outraged at the builder’s charge and in fact lived there but lived in a farmhouse in the same area.
Police Station 1889
West Dulwich Station October 1863 London Chatham and Dover Railway. Opened as ‘Dulwich’ or ‘Lower Knights Hill’ 1926 renamed ‘West Dulwich’.
The Hare and Hounds. Pub mention in 1707 on The Woodlands
125 home of J.H.Thomas presented to him by the National Union of Railwaymen. Chancellor in Ramsay Macdonald’s national government but resigned over budget leaks. Now part of Oakfield School.
Oakfield School. Mepsilus and Cotoneaster Frigida in the grounds

Turney Road
Bridge over the road for the railway. On the main line of the London Brighton & South Coast 1864/8. This was designed by Charles Barry Jun., for, the governors of Dulwich College. It has a three-span ornamental cast-iron facade, with monogram AC and date 1863. The facade is largely independent of the wrought-iron girder structure behind
Dulwich Tennis and Cricket Ground
Football Ground
Westminster School Playing Ground
London South Bank University Sports Ground

Monday, 24 May 2010

Thames Tributary Effra - Dulwich

Thames Tributary Effra
Springs and tributaries which feed the Effra are said to flow west through this area.

Suburban area dominated by Dulwich College who have controlled it since the 17th

Post to the west West Dulwich
Post to the east Forest Hill
Post to the south Dulwich College

Allison Grove
Named after a house, Allison Towers 1868. In 1795 it belonged to Caleb Marshall whose daughter was Allison. She died in 1859, and her heir T. W. Parker, named the development after her. 'Allison Towers' was on the corner of Dulwich Common until the early 1960s
7 Home of Lord Haw Haw 1923-1930. He was William Joyce who broadcast to Britain in the Second World War on behalf of Hitler. Hanged in 1946. The house had been the first to be bombed locally in the blitz

Aysgarth Road
The parish where Alleyn's Yorkshire estate was. Named in 1896

College Gardens
Development on the site of 8 Victorian mansions. It is the site is of the old fellows’ garden. There are remaining brick piers and Victorian post boxes.

College Road
11 Stella House. Listed
13 listed
15 Sun Fire Office token. Listed
23 Bell Cottage, 18th weatherboard, with Doric door case; listed
27 Bell House. Built by Alderman Thomas Wright, a stationer and a Lord Mayor 1767. Altered by Lutyens. A long, brown-brick, two-storey house with taller centre with Venetian window and a bell tower. The bell was rung to get help to pump water into the fire engine. This Bell Tower no longer functions. It became the Junior Boarding House for Dulwich College and a private house in 1993. There is a Bald Cypress, a Tulip tree and a Holm Oak in the garden. The 19th extension and lodge house are now separate dwellings. Grade II listed, garden wall also listed. Stable block and attached walling also listed–
31 Dulwich Mansion cottage where Dickens made Mr. Pickwick live. Used to be called Grove Cottage.
41 Oakfield House 18th house listed, used to have the village fire alarm
41, Outbuilding to north west listed
48 Howlettes Mead.
Hambledon House was a nurses’ home. Plane trees in the garden
Old College Gate to Dulwich Park. The stream which now comes from the lake in the park was once joined here by a stream from Sydenham Hill coming via the Mill Pond.
Pond Cottages listed.
Grass verge is a covering for a stream coming from the Mill Pond – occasionally flooding particularly outside Bell House.

Court Lane
Site of Dulwich Court Farm. The Court was there held for the manor. This is one of the few ancient east west roads in the area.
Court Lane Gates to Dulwich Park and attached railings. listed
142 home of Anne Shelton

Dulwich College
Christ's Chapel of Alleyn's College of God's Gift at Dulwich; Chapel of the Old College in Dulwich Village. The public school was founded in 1619 by Edward Alleyn as a charity school for 12 poor scholars and the original name was Alleyn's College of God's Gift. It had a master, four fellows and also provision for 12 alms people. These school buildings and almshouses still stand here but the boys moved to the new school in 1857. Alleyn bought the estate it for £5,000 in 1605. It provides three Foundation Schools -Dulwich College, Alleyn s School and James Allen's Girls' School -, but also for the residents of the Almshouses, now Edward Alleyn House. A detachment of soldiers from Fairfax's army had been quartered at the chapel and had 'committed great havoc'. The Revd James Hume was the author of the Latin inscription over the porch at the chapel entrance which, in translation, concludes: 'Blessed is he who takes pity on the poor, go thou and do likewise'. Although the oldest part of the College dates from 1619 little of it remains and repeated restorations and modifications have left a confusing design. The Chapel was remodelled in 1823. The stuccoed wings pink washed, date from 1840 and the mock windows. Central tower and cloister of ancient looking stone were built in 1866 by Charles Barry Jnr. Internal woodwork is even later.

Dulwich Common
Follows the route of a medieval lane, said to be the Pilgrims’ Way. This remained until the rebuilding of Dulwich College and it has become a difficult road for traffic despite upgrades, cutting Dulwich in two. Possible brick and tile works here. Fine collection of 18th suburban dwellings a favourite spot for Georgian houses. This road used to run across the common road of Dulwich Manor until in the 19th century the common was enclosed and in 1870 40 acres of the common were used for the new playing fields of Dulwich College.
3 two-storey brick.
The Orchard. Junior boarding house for Dulwich College.
Southwark Sports Ground
Brightlands. Once an independent preparatory school but now part of Dulwich College Preparatory School. Maiden Hair tree in the garden.
Bungalow at the back of Glenlea. Built by Joseph Hansom who invented the Hansom Cab using materials of the dismantled Earls’ Court Exhibition.
Chestnuts Horse chestnuts in the grounds. Siberian cherry on the east side. Used at one time as Master’s House by the college.
Cypress House. Bald Cypress Tree
Dulwich Green Mill stood opposite the college and was pulled down in 1814. It is called Bree Kill Mill on Roque
Elm Lawn 18th - but altered. Used by Dulwich College.
Glenlea. Villa of 1803 by George Tappen with a battlemented parapet. This is one of the oldest surviving houses of Dulwich. It was used by Lt Col Oreste Pinto as a training school for World War II Dutch agents.
Home of C.A.Gordon who owned Deptford Shipyard in 1820s. Rotative sculling wheels & propeller tested there
Mill Pond – trees include Zelcova Crenata tree and Alder
Mill Pond cottages. They face the landscaped millpond. Built for farm workers and mill-hands they have traditionally housed artists. David Cox an 18th landscape artist lived there. The central pair are in black weatherboard, which was once a common style of building in Dulwich. In the past they have included a butcher's shop and a builder's yard. Three have been converted into a single home.
Northcroft one of a pair. Built in 1810 by George Tappen, the college surveyor
The Willows one of a pair with Northcroft.
Alleynian Rugby Football Ground and Old Alleynian Club. Site of Potash Farm, a dairy farm in the 19th. Sports and Social club for old boys of the school. Founded in 1873.
Old Blew House early 18th. Supposed to be the oldest house in Dulwich but though refaced in the 18th. Used by Dulwich College as a boarding house.
Pond Cottage was the miller’s cottage.
The pond is the remains of a stream system which drained the ridge - lots of fish and ducks
Rosebery Gate to Dulwich Park.
The Orchard. Bald Cypress Tree in the garden. Used by Dulwich College.
Honor Oak Sports Ground

Dulwich Park.
A traditional Victorian family park. The area was part of the gardens of Dulwich College and was previously Dulwich Court Farm and Ruston's Farm or Fields. It had an area for hunting and duels. The seventy-two acres were presented to the former Metropolitan Board of Works by the Governors of Dulwich College, on condition that the Board would lay it out as a public park. This was confirmed by Parliament in May 1885 and it was also agreed that there would be no music or public meetings in the park and it was thought a statue to Alleyn would be too expensive. Lieutenant Colonel J.J. Sexby, Chief Officer of Parks for both the Metropolitan Board of Works and the London County Council, was responsible for its design. It cost £33,000 to lay out and was opened by Lord Rosebery on 26 June 1890. It has a lake, tennis courts, a bandstand, a carriage drive, a horse ride, 5 aviaries and an open-air theatre. A watercourse used to go from the lake to the Effra and a canal like extension to the lake is what remains of a stream system draining the ridge. Another tributary, the Ambrook river, is said to supply Dulwich Park Lake, flowing down from the woods of Sydenham Hill, alongside Cox’s Walk and under Dulwich Common – its line can be seen in a line of trees. The Bridge over the stream has the arms of the Metropolitan Board of Works. The stream drains from the lake over a waterfall and turns towards the old College in a visible channel. There is an American rock garden; a shrubbery, pollarded oaks, a black poplar near the gate, two hoary poplars and a Turkey oak in the northern part of the park which was probably planted in 1735. There is a sculpture by Barbara Hepworth, 1970 called Two Forms (Divided Circle). There are two ecological sites and a nature trail for children. A drought tolerant garden is planted with Mediterranean-style plants that need no watering -. Gates with stone piers in College Road and Dulwich Common - one is named after Lord Rosebery and another after Queen Mary who visited the park every year to see the rhododendrons.

Dulwich
Part of Saxon Royal Estate. In 967 the area was given to the Abbey at Bermondsey and the monks built a house here. Eventually it was acquired by Edward Alleyn who bought the manor in 1605 with the proceeds of his acting, his business ventures, and with the fees from his post as Master of the Royal Game of Bears, Bulls and Mastiff Dogs. It has never changed ownership since. in Old English the name means ‘dill' 'white flower', 'daisy meadow'..

Eynella Road
Eynella back slang for Alleyn. Built on the line of an old footpath from The Plough.

Frank Dixon Way
He was a governor of Dulwich College 1959
A local resident reports that in wet weather water rises above the drains and flows along the road around Dulwich Park by Frank Dixon Way.
14 garden surrounded by mature trees, shrub borders and annual plantings. Lawns and a spectacular rowan. A railway runs around the garden.

Gallery Road
The original Alleyn school building. The 1689 charter arms on the gate were taken from Alleyne's mother's family, and restored in the original. There was no architect and the builder was John Benson. The east wing is still used, as instructed, as an almshouse but it was rebuilt in 1740 and 1866 and now called Edward Alleyn House. It is home to three men and 13 women. The west wing was the school but it is now offices extended in 1820 - Prospective scholars had to draw lots for places. In the centre is the chapel.
Christ’s Chapel of Alleyn's College of God’s Gift. 'God's gift' is written over the over the door and blessed is he who takes pity on the poor go thou and do likewise'. Alleyn himself is buried in front of the altar but the tomb was built in 1816 – his original stone was found in the yard of the Half Moon Public House and is in the cloisters. The reredos was installed in 1911 and is Elizabethan - schoolboys on it.
Triangular milestone by the fountain in the old college. Dated 1772 it gives distances to the Treasury in Whitehall and to the Standard in Cornhill - five miles in each case,
Dulwich Art Gallery. Edward Alleyn made a bequest of pictures when he founded the 'College and another bequest was made by actor, William Cartwright, in the 17th. The main part of the collection is the bequest of Sir Peter Francis Bourgeois made in 1811. In 1789, Noel Joseph Desenfans, an art dealer, was commissioned by King Stanislaus of Poland to buy pictures for a National Gallery in Warsaw. But in 1795 he had to abdicate and Desenfans was left with the pictures, which had not been paid for. Having tried to get the British Government to buy them he left them to his widow and to Francis Bourgeois. Bourgeois he bequeathed his ones to Dulwich College and a gallery was built for them by Sir John Soane and opened in 1814. Further bequests followed, It was opened to the public in 1817.It also contains the Bourgeois mausoleum. It was bombed in the Second World War. In the garden is an Indian Bean Tree, North American Nettle tree and a Judas Tree.
A cast-iron chimney opposite the Picture Gallery is believed to vent a tributary.
The Old Grammar School at the corner of Burbage Road and Gallery Road was designed in pink-stucco Tudor, by Charles Barry. It is the most important work he undertook in his twenty-eight years as surveyor to the Dulwich College Estate. It is plain in a Tudor Gothic style and opened in 1842. Sixty boys were admitted, divided into two classes, - an upper and a lower school separated by a wooden partition. It is the upper school which later became Dulwich College. The original twelve poor scholars continued to be instructed as before in the old College When the College was reformed in 1857 the twelve poor scholars joined the lower school. In time the upper school moved into the west wing of the College building leaving the Grammar School for the lower school - until it became Alleyn's School and moved out in 1887. By 1952 it was derelict and then became the Village Reading Room and a community centre

Lordship Lane
The Co-op shop was bombed 23 killed
Sir Thomas More, R.C. Built 1929 by J. Goldie. Restored after war damage 1953. Lady Chapel 1970. Stained glass by Patrick Pye.
East Dulwich library. Corner building of 1896 by Charles Barry Jnr with a -dome set at an angle. The Actor Sir Henry Irving laid the foundation stone in 1897. Partly paid for by Passmore Edwards who gave £5,000'. The site was given by the Estates' Governors of Alleyn's College and the architect was R.P. Whellock. In 1940 a bomb landed on the north-west corner of and after the Second World War an extension was built which included a hall for public meetings and it opened in 1954.
Milestone in the island refuge "V miles from the Treasury, V miles from the Standard corner"

Pickwick Road
Called this Mr.Pickwick retired to Dulwich in Dickens’ book

Ryecote Mead
John and Cristina de Reygate sold land here in 1311. And the property was later called Reygates.” In 1609 it was bought by Alleyn. Rycotes was the name given to a house belonging to William Young, a College and Estates Governor in 1858. In 1909 it was home to Sir Hiram Maxim, inventor of the Maxim gun. It was demolished in 1967

The Grove
Footpath also called Lovers Walk. Cork Barked Dutch Elm tree.

Sources
Banbury. Shipbuilders of the Thames and Medway
Clunn. The Face of London   
Darby. Dulwich. A Place in History
Field. London Place names, 
Green. Around Dulwich
London Borough of Southwark. Web site
London Journal
London Encyclopaedia
Lucas. London
Nairn. Nairn's London
Nature Conservation in Southwark
Parker. North Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
St. Thomas More, Web site
Summerson, Georgian  London

Saturday, 22 May 2010

Thames Tributary Effra - Dulwich College

Thames Tributary Effra
Springs in this area are said to have fed tributaries to the Effra in the area of Gipsy Hill.

Suburban area dominated by the buildings and legacy of Dulwich College

Post to the west West Dulwich
Post to the north Dulwich
Post to the east Sydenham Hill
Post to the south Gipsy Hill

Alleyn Park
Plane trees at the junction
63 home of Macmahon, speech therapist to George VI
65 Sequoia Gigantia in the front garden
Kingsdale Foundation School, Buikt 1959, by London County Council as a comprehensive.
38/44 Alleyn's Head site of original College Preparatory School. It was originally on the other side of the road, the site of which is now a garage. Its neighbour housed local horses as a livery stable

College Road
In 1626 Alleyn gave the site to his native parish of St.Botolph Bishopsgate. In 1804 the road was built by John Morgan and later called Penge Road. It was a direct route between Camberwell and Penge allowing access across the common as a private road through the woods. It is now a private road owned by Dulwich College Estate. Because of the steep slopes of the Effra basin main roads avoided this area, thus College Road was left to itself and the toll gate remained.
Toll gate. Set up by John Morgan, Lord of the Manor of Penge, who built the road to access his house on land leased from the College. An Act of Abolition got rid of other tollgates in London in 1864. The toll from motorists helps pay for the upkeep of the College. There is no charge at night. Tollgates were once common but most were abolished when local councils took over road maintenance. A board displays the old charges for farm animals.
Toll House on the corner of Grange Lane. Brick and tile octagonal.
St Stephen’s Church. Built 1868 on a site given by the College. It is the parish church of South Dulwich. It is a ragstone church built 1868-75 by Banks & Barry with a very tall broach spire on top of a tower. Inside the only prewar stained glass is a mural of the trial and stoning of St Stephen by Sir Edward Poynter. The west window has stained glass of St Stephen and St Paul by Moira Forsyth and under it a small nativity triptych by Charles Gurrey painted by Camille Pissarro in 1870. It was built on an unstable slope where soil is creeping below waterlogged hillsides.
Millennium Hall.

Dulwich College
Dulwich College may not be as posh as Eton or Stowe However, the buildings have character surrounded by playing fields and are set in an oasis in South London.
Dulwich College Playing Fields. Originally called Howletts Green. This was the last bit of common land in Dulwich and not enclosed until 1805.
College. The expansion of the College was the inspiration of Canon Carver, Master 1858-1883, who intended that Dulwich should become a great public school. The old Corporation had been dissolved on the orders of the Charity Commissioners and sales from building land paid for these buildings. They were built a long way away from the old ones and they were opened by the Prince of Wales in 1870. The architect was Charles Barry Jnr. who used a multitude of styles in three blocks built in bright red brick connected by cloisters including Doulton ware, tiles and granite and high walls with a selection of classical antiquities, Shakespearean characters plus Byron and Macaulay. There is a tall clock tower on the South Block and a campanile on the North. In the centre block the Lower Hall has a staircase leading up to a Great Hall. There is a Board Room, the Master's Library, and a Sanatorium from 1892 with Tudor frontage. The Library of 1902 is a memorial to the dead of the Boer War, with an extension dedicated to Canon Carver. Boarding houses include Ivyholme and Blew House, 1930's and the Pavilion. The Science block has an observatory on the roof. Alleyn's pictures were bought with compensation from the railway and the whole thing is administered by the Alleyn Trust. Famous 'Old Alleynians' include Sir Ernest Shackleton, the explorer, one of whose rescue boats is preserved in the grounds.
College Mill was on the site of the North Block. It had been built by Alleyn and pulled down in 1814,
Dulwich College gymnasium, where in the '20s and '30s major tennis tournaments were held with Fred Perry. Plain arches along the walls and a fake stone effect on top. The old Covered Courts were used by Edward VII
Athol House
Cheshire Home
Commissariat Bookshop
Woodhall

Grange Lane
Dulwich & Sydenham Golf Club. This was a gun site in the Second World War sited where it could be overlooked by the Clubhouse. It is the nearest full size golf course to Central London. London Scout Centre. Dry valleys and ditches show the course of streams coming from the woods running to the Effra

Huntslip Road
Was previously called Union Road. It crosses a slip of land owned by Hunt
Railway Bridge 1937

Low Cross Wood Lane
A footpath, wide and steep, leading from Crescent Wood Road to Sydenham Hill Station and the church. A bridle path it off what was once Low Cross Coppice from the main bulk of Dulwich Wood. The Cross showed the parish boundary and was cut on the tree. Samuel Matthews, the Dulwich hermit lived here in a hut in 1796. Friends took him to Wales; but he escaped and came back to the wood where he was murdered.
Low Cross Coppice. This is one of the 10 woods, which Alleyn reserved for firewood for the college in turn. It is a section of Dulwich Wood which was originally part of Vicars Oak Coppice, cleared for villas in the 1870s which have since been demolished. It is now a nature reserve, with fungi, plants and animals.

Lyall Avenue
Named after a Governor of Dulwich College 1891 1950.
Langbourne Primary School. 1952, two storeys, built of pre-cast horizontal concrete with cladding panels.
Nursery School, by Stillman & Eastwick Field, 1967. Built as a cluster of hexagons in white brick with pitched roofs.

Stonehills Court
Site of Stonehills House. Previously it was Oakfield,
Sydenham Hill Station. Between Penge East and West Dulwich on South Eastern Trains LCDR. It is at the end of a long gradient and sited just before the tunnel. It is in a picturesque location in a cutting with wooded slopes on all sides. From College Road a covered walkway leads steeply to a lattice bridge, probably c1900, from which covered walkways lead to the two platforms. Nature has recolonised the tunnel entrance, and there is now sycamore with lime, oak and horse chestnut. There are dandelion and lesser celandine in the spring, and dunnocks and robins are around all the time. It was opened in 1863.
Red brick tunnel entrance to the Penge Tunnel as an elliptical portal with Gibbs surround plus side piers, and a bracketed cornice. Designed by Joseph Cubitt, 1860-3. The tunnel is two kilometres long and was part of the London Chatham and Dover Railway’s plan to obtain easier access over their own tracks to Stewarts Lane. This cut out a detour to the south and through Crystal Palace, over Brighton tracks.


Sources
Clunn. The Face of London   
Darby. Dulwich. A Place in History
Dulwich and Syndenham Golf Club. Web site
Field. London Place names, 
Green. Around Dulwich
London Journal
London Encyclopaedia
Lucas. London
Nairn. Nairn's London
Nature Conservation in Southwark
Parker. North Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. South London,
Summerson, Georgian  London

Thames Tributary Effra -Sydenham Hill

Thames Tributary Effra
Springs feeding the Effra rise in the area and flow north west

Post to the west Dulwich College
Post to the north Forest Hill

Charlecote Grove
There are a number of houses of 1838. John Scott Russell lived in the road.
2, with late 19th additions including a porch and an extension.
Baxter’s Field. Blue plaque to printer George Baxter on the entrance. A small local park with an area of open grassland which includes a children’s playground.

Cox's Walk
A rural lane lined with oaks, cut through the woods in the early 18th. It goes from Sydenham Hill alongside Sydenham Hill Wood.

Crescent Wood Road
This road sweeps round to enclose an oval-shaped plateau on the ridge of Sydenham Hill. At the eastern end is Sydenham Hill Wood. At the western end are Low Cross Wood Lane and some interesting houses.
Crescent Wood Railway tunnel underneath. 400 yards.
St Giles Camberwell iron parish marker at the junction with Sydenham Hill. 1870.
1 The Lion House. Lyncombe, Gothic red brick house with gables. Late 1860s, with a lodge in front.
Grotto in the rear of one of the gardens.
2 -4 are similar large Gothic red brick houses, of the late 1860s
3 Georgian style, but late 1860s. Blue plaque: 'John Logie R Baird 1888-1946 television pioneer lived here'. Baird lived here 1934-46, and invented the colour television receiver here. Plaque erected 1977.
Six Pillars. 1935, Lubetkin. Built For the Head Master of Dulwich College Preparatory School. It has a wing shape governed by the site, but it is otherwise a simple building by Valentine Harding & Tecton, 1933-5. The Six yellow pillars support a blank white upper floor. Brick is used because this is Dulwich College land and that is what the trustees wanted. Listed Grade II.
Countisbury House Lawns, block of council flats, lots of nice flowers in the grass

Eliot Bank
Not made up and can become muddy at times. There is a remnant of an old boundary hedge with hawthorn and oak pollards. Springs from this area feeds the Effra via Lordship Lane, Dulwich and Herne hillFeatherstone Lodge - Phoenix House. Large house with Tudor windows and a tower over a Gothic door. 1855. Phoenix House used for drug rehabilitation centre from the 70's
Forest Estate. L.C.C point blocks. Built 1957-8. The steep drop to Forest Hill makes a dramatic site for some early tower blocks. Central Green,
Lewisham Boundary stones. Remnant of boundary hedge on the boundary of Lewisham parish. Enclosed by Earl St. Germains.
Finger post at the top of the hill. There was also a gradient post and cattle trough
Fransfield Grove
Fire hydrant. Base plus a round pipe with a screw knob.

Kelvin Grove
Name of old road on the school buildings
Kelvin Grove School, a multi-gabled London School Board building of 1876, which was originally Sydenham Hill School. The separate smaller building to the north was added by the London County Council after 1902. Originally designed by Henry Dawson for the British and Foreign Schools Society. Additions by the London School Board in 1876, 1887, and after 1902
9-15 Kelvin Grove, an impressive Italianate group, one pair and five detached

Kirkdale
Kirkdale cuts through the middle of what Sydenham Common. It descends from the roundabout at the junction of Sydenham Hill and Eliot Bank. At the junction with Dartmouth Road are some shops.
4 Whitehead House, early 1850s, pilasters with stone capitals.
6, 1850s, with columns inside square bays.
24, c 1820, with an Ionic porch
89/91, weather-boarded cottages of the 1820s.
110 Woodman. A building c1831 which became a pub in the 1840s and was rebuilt in the 1850s.
122/130, a stuccoed early 19th group, all except no 128 with projecting shop fronts
126 oriel window.
134/142 High Street Buildings, a shopping development c1895, a fanciful block with lots of pinnacles and terracotta work.
150 Fox & Hounds. A pub, originally of 1824, but rebuilt 1894.
152 Farnborough House, a superb stuccoed villa c1840; the Doric porch has columns, and there is a very bold ground floor bow to the left.
Bridge House Estates property marker on the path to Lammas Green, a Corporation of London estate
Cobb's Corner. Roundabout. The corner building, with a dome, was added in 1902 by Walter Cobb to his drapery shop. This had opened in 1860 in adjoining premises on Kirkdale. Became a great success but was bombed. The rebuilt premises are now flats.
Drinking fountain at Jews Walk junction. Inscription to say erected by Lewisham Board of Works for Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee. Second inscription to say restored in 1977 by the Sydenham Society.
Drinking fountain at junction with Dartmouth Road, large fountain with a gas lamp above it.
Eliot Lodge. Gothic house built 1857 but doubled in size in 1870. The earlier part is nearest the road. James Hunt lived there. There is a gatepost of patterned stone and coloured brick. The house has an octagonal tower with a tapering top. It has many gables and odd corners
Grove Centre House. Built late 1840s, with a columned porch. It is offices for The Grove Centre next door.
Sydenham United Free Church. A low flat building of 1974, replacing the Congregational Church-in-the- 1867, demolished 1972.
Julian Taylor Path. A terrace built 1982, in the style of Oak Cottage.
Monument in baroque style of 1897, commemorating the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria, designed by Alexander
Oak Cottage twin gables and Tudor windows; part is early 1850s, and it was the lodge for houses in Eliot Bank. The rest is later 19th.
Sydenham Public Lecture Hall. A building with an arcaded front with polychrome decoration. Built in 1861 by Henry Dawson based on a design by Sir Joseph Paxton. It was used as a lecture hall and then as a school for the British and Foreign Bible Schools Society, and later became New Woodlands School. The extensions on either side with chimneys and bay windows are c1900.

Lapse Wood
This was one of the portions of the woods divided by Alleyn to provide fuel. Southwark Council in 1985 wanted to build here, but lost at public enquiry.

Little Brownings
A small remnant of an old boundary hedge with hawthorn and old oak pollards, and ancient woodland.

Mount Ash Road
Terraces c1870
46/48, with porches on either side

Panmure Road
20/22, pair of the late 1840s

Peckermans Wood
One of the ten woods which Alleyn put by for firewood. Another spring feeds the Effra via Dulwich Common and Herne Hill. This is called the Ambrook River.

Radlett Avenue
Eliot Bank Primary School on grounds of Woodthorpe

Shackleton Close
Council Estate with buildings in a streamlined Art Deco style

Sydenham Hill
Leat alongside much of the road, collecting runoff.
Dulwich Wood. Highest bit of the Claygate beds. Water from springs here, feeding the Effra, has undercut the slope, causing it to steepen sharply. There are springs near the junction of Crescent Wood Road and Sydenham Hill – the highest springs in the arc of the whole hill range. This is known locally as Ambrook River. This is the last of the Dulwich coppices - part of chain of oak woods which went from Selhurst to Brockley. Alleyn had 10 coppices on the hill and they were managed by the Estate and leased out. These were economic woodlands and not enclosed. Following the building of Crystal Palace they were sold off in building lots. This bit is still owned by Dulwich Estates. The managed structure of the wood is clear, with standard oaks still obvious even with the loss of coppice.
Sydenham Hill Woods. These woods once belonged to the Abbey of Bermondsey and formed a chain linking New Cross with Norwood Common called the Great North Wood. In the 17C they were acquired by Edward Alleyn and devolved to Dulwich College. By the end of the 19th the Board of Governors was developing the ridge for housing and the railway line was cut through to Crystal Palace. In 1979 LB Southwark bought the lease for council housing and it has been managed by the London Wildlife Trust since 1982. To it are joined by the grounds of Fernbank and Lapsewood, demolished houses, and also the area of the old railway line. It remains ancient woodland, despite the railway, and together with Dulwich Wood to the west of it, it is the largest surviving fragment of the Great North Wood. It has winding paths on a steep hillside and can be entered from Cox's Walk footbridge or Crescent Wood Road. The old track bed is followed by a footpath. A row of green posts parallel with the track-bed separates Sydenham Hill Wood from Dulwich Wood. It is bordered by a large private golf course. The nature reserve is on a steep clay hillside and is dominated by sessile oak and hornbeam but there are several glades. The under storey is holly and hazel. There are bluebells, wood sorrel, lesser celandine and wild garlic growing close to the former railway with Foxgloves and red campion close to a small pond, which can flood in winter and there is a damp hollow of uncertain origin. A cedar of Lebanon is a relic of the plants in the grounds of the demolished Victorian housing. There are many birds, and fox families as well as grey squirrels. Other species are leopard slugs, rare spiders, wasps & flies, and stag beetles.
Crescent Wood Tunnel in Sydenham Hill Woods. Parapet over a red brick tunnel entrance which runs 300 metres to the south at the site of Upper Sydenham Station on the Crystal Palace High Level Railway. It opened 1865, and closed 1954.
Dulwich and Sydenham Hill Golf Course. This was part of Dulwich Common and tree Clumps remains from the Great North Wood. It is unimproved grass land which was once used for grazing. There is a stretch of acid grassland dominated by red fescue. The ponds are part of the Ambrook River which is coming down from the woods above to flow onwards to the Effra. The stream follows an obvious valley.
131 Pantiles, looks like an early 19th Georgian house, but it was built in 1932.
St Giles Camberwell parish marker of 1870 inside the gateway of 131.
133 & 135. The central part of 133 is part of Holly Brow, an early 19th house - the wings were added in the mid 19th. Behind 135, is the other part of the early 19th house, still called Holly Brow but extended and stuccoed. Holly Brow was a telegraph building for the Admiralty in 1795. Signals came from West Square in Lambeth to Telegraph Hill, Nunhead. In 1821 it was turned into a house and then, probably in the 1920s-1930s was made into two houses,
Beechgrove stood between Lapsewood and The Hoo
Lammas Green. Designed by Donald McMorran for the City of London. It is made up of terraces round a circular village green with a cedar tree.
Corporation of London lamppost 1878 at the entrance to Lammas Green,
Bridge House Estate property marker 1816.
Bridge House Estate marker - on the footpath leading to Kirkdale, 1816.

Sydenham Rise
Camberwell stone Property marker

Thorpewood Avenue
The area was part of Sydenham Common
Belvedere House 1865.
Eliot Bank School. A community primary school, with nursery. There are several grass and tarmac-covered play areas, the pond and wild life area.

Wells Park Road
48
104 Duke of Edinburgh. Pleasant pub. 1866,
109 The Talma, 1863
151 -159 Upper Sydenham Station. 1st August 1884 opened on the Crystal Palace High Level line. 1917-1919 closed. 1944-46 closed again and 1954 finally closed. . It was situated between two tunnels and approached by steps down the Combe which was prone to landslips.
151 -159 Old stationmaster's house cum booking office, of 1884. Now a private house.

Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Thames Tributary Effra - Forest Hill

Thames Tributary Effra
Springs in this area flow north and west to join other tributaries to the Effra

Post to the west Dulwich
Post to the north East Dulwich
Post to the south Sydenham Hill


Cox’s Walk
A formal avenue of oaks cut planted in the 1740s by Francis Cox to connect his Green Man Tavern, now The Grove Tavern, and Dulwich Wells with Sydenham Wells. Home to woodpeckers and nuthatch, and owned by Dulwich Estates.
Bridge. The railway to Crystal Pala
ce ran under a big cantilevered bridge in brick and wood built in 1865. It was renewed in teak in 1908 to the design of the 1865 original. Camille Pissarro painted Lordship Lane station from here. Thick woodland and shrubbery now obscure the view from the bridge in the painting of 1871 now in the Courtauld Institute Galleries.
Cedar of Lebanon in a large clearing,
Effra. A tributary is said to, flow down from the woods of Sydenham Hill, alongside Cox’s Walk to Dulwich Common.
Sham ruin. A ‘ruined monastery’ lies in the midst of the woods surrounded by brambles and ivy, a folly that once stood in the garden of 36 Sydenham Hill. A broken fragment of stone archway

'Donkey Alley'
Path onto Dawson’s hill, horses and donkeys were kept in a paddock on the hill. Local riding schools and police horses use it.

Fireman’s Alley
Alongside site of the old fire station

Forest Hill
Named from the extensive woodland which once covered the area. It was part of the Great North Wood. Building followed enclosure in 1810.

Highwood close,
A development of 2005 on the site of the former Highwood Barracks of the Territorial Army in Lordship Lane. High Wood was the scene of an engagement during the Battle of the Somme on 15 September 1916, when the First Surrey Rifles took a line of German trenches with a huge loss of life. The courts are named after forests in England and Scotland: Ashdown, Caledonian, Epping, Mercia, Savernake, Sherwood and Stoke

Horniman Drive
Named after Frederick John Horniman a tea merchant who lived in a large house named Surrey Mount here. The house was damaged by bombing in the Second World War, and demolished in the 1950's.
Horniman Gardens. A park on a sloping site. Springs from this area would have fed the Effra running via Lordship Lane, Dulwich and Herne Hill. On old maps it is the site of Hensford's Pond. The main gate from London Road was that to the drive to Surrey Mount; the railings are original. The Summer Garden has a rose garden and a sunken garden. The Water Garden is a series of small ponds on the hillside feeding the Centre for Understanding the Environment pond and they also have a recycling pond. The Gardens and the museum were presented to the people of London in perpetuity in 1901 by Emile John Horniman, a Member of the London County Council. Newer developments are centered around the new museum entrance, with mixed borders near the newly restored Victorian glasshouse and tropical-style planting beneath the turf roof of the educational building. There are also 200 barnacle geese, wallabies.
The railway nature trail which runs alongside the park has been open since 1973. The trail runs along the Victoria to Crystal Palace High Level line which closed in 1954. Most of the land has been allowed to grow wild. The track bed is now a nature reserve of line side scrub and woodland, plus meadow and pond. Trees include oak, silver birch, rowan and sallow, together with later plantings of holm oak and walnut.
Sundials. A feature of Horniman Gardens. On the west face of the Museum is the Vertical West Facing Sundial, designed by Ray Ashley 1994. Near the Conservatory is the Scaphe Sundial, an inner bowl with a rough exterior designed by Angela Hodgson 1994; the shadow of the gnomon falls on an hour line shown on the inner bowl. the Double Polar Sundial, has the Horniman logo and the inscription 'and hours run mad, e'en as men might’ an anagram of The Horniman Museum and Gardens', designed by John Moir 1997 and it is on a Portland Stone plinth. At the highest point of the Gardens, on the site of Surrey Mount, is the Analemmatic Sundial, designed by Barry Small 1994; standing on the month, the numbered slab on which your shadow falls is the time in British Summer Time. In the garden is the Horizontal Sundial, designed by John Moir 1997. There is also a Sundial by the entrance to CUE, and in a window of the Conservatory.
Dutch Barn, brought from Holland by Frederick Horniman,
Bandstand, designed by Harrison Townsend 1912.
Play Park. On the site of what was once thought to be a 'plague pit’, a formal park bordered by trees and shrubs.
Horniman's School. Designed by Michael Manser 1972. The school on a steep hillside away from the road. It is clad in russet ribbed plastic sheets, and visible through small white cones.
27 Small, front garden with shrubs making a tapestry of green. Back garden with emphasis on colour using perennials, roses and shrubs.

London Road
The road and its extension in Lordship Lane is the only road going along the col created by the drainage basin of the Effra tributaries between the two sets of hills.
Horniman Museum. Built by Harrison Townsend for the tea merchant Frederick Horniman in 1901. On the front is a Greater London Council blue plaque: The Horniman Museum & Gardens were given to the people of London in 1901 by Frederick John Horniman who lived near the site'. Horniman was a collector of natural history, music, and ethnography. He was the son of John Horniman, who first sold tea in packets. He moved here in 1860 and in 1888 to Surrey House, where his collection was on view to the public. He later moved to Surrey Mount using Surrey House for the collection. In 1898 he commissioned Harrison Townsend to create the museum, which in 1901 was donated to the London County Council. It has a stone clock tower and original barrel-vaulted halls. Under a gable is the inscription The Horniman Museum', below it a mosaic by Anning Bell, called 'Humanity in the House of Circumstance and a representation of experiences of birth and death. Dedication panel by Pomeroy. There is an extension of 1911 and the Emslie Horniman Gallery. The original entrance is accessed by a grand staircase, with a bronze bow originally a fountain, by Rollins and a foundation stone of 1898. The 'Horniman 2001' scheme, designed by Allies & Morrison, sited a new main entrance giving access from the Gardens.
Pelican Coade stone for the Pelican Life Insurance Office. Now in the Museum of London.
Education Centre, a small building of 1969; replaced by a new building designed by A H Morrison as part of 'Horniman 2001'
CUE (Centre for Understanding the Environment) reached by a bridge over a pond. Designed by Jonathan Hines of Architype 1995; it is planned as an auditorium and exhibition area. It is clad in Douglas fir, internally in pine. It has a living roof of grass and project nine ventilation columns. The roof is irrigated by a solar-powered pump. There are two sundials - On the ceiling is the Ceiling by Ray Ashley and John Moir; where light from the sun is reflected from a small hole producing a small spot of light on the ceiling, which moves with the sun indicating solar time. On the bridge is the Butterfly Sundial by Frivvin Ruell
Totem pole, with the inscription: ‘this Indian totem pole was carved by Nathan Jackson of Alaska for the America Festival of 1985 and erected by the Greater London Council 1985'
The Horniman Conservatory. A fully glazed conservatory built in 1894 for Frederick Horniman at Coombe Cliff, Croydon and moved to this site in 1988. The white painted ironwork is by Macfarlane & Co, Saracen Foundry, Glasgow. In the south wall is stained glass sundial, designed by Roselyn Loftin 1994.
Drinking fountain. Black pillar with push button water supply.1995.
Horse trough on the corner with Sydenham Hill. In memory of Mrs. Prescott of Somerville Halifax. Gone.

Lordship Lane
549 important listed building, in a derelict state. Built in 1873 by Charles Drake of the Patent Concrete Building Company. In 1867 Charles Drake had patented his own method for building with concrete using sheet iron panels instead of timber shuttering. The house is a rare example of a 19th concrete house -there is no other known property of this type. Southwark Council has refused permission for it to be demolished and wants it restored.
522 The Harvester. Grove Tavern There has been a pub here for nearly 300 years – and the pub was once called the Green Man. – when the innkeeper was John Cox, after whom Cox’s walk named. It was the site of Dulwich Wells and water from a well in the garden was thought to be medicinal – to cure apoplexy, falling sickness, palsy, dizziness and head ache. Later the inn was converted by Dr Glennie into a school for young gentlemen whose most famous pupil was the poet Lord Byron, who spent two years here while a London specialist treated his clubfoot. Was also called Lordship Tavern. It is on the site of Bew Corner where a sulphur spring found. The Ambrook River flows from the golf course to here and is joined by streams from East Dulwich and from Forest Hill and then goes towards Dulwich Park.
Lordship Lane station. 1st September 1865. Built by London, Chatham & Dover Railway on the south side of Lordship Lane west of Sydenham Hill. Dulwich College made the railway build a posh station out of timber. It was never much good and was too near Forest Hill station. The French impressionist artist, Camille Pissarro, painted a view of the station from the Cox's Walk footbridge. The picture is owned by the Courtauld Gallery and shows a double armed signal post on the down platform, prior to the building of the signal box. Closed 1917 – 1919 and again 1944-46. Then bombed and partly demolished and in 1954 closed, completely demolished 1957
Railway Bridge. This was at the point where London Road becomes Lordship Lane. Demolished in 1958 it was extremely ornate to suit Dulwich College.
Highwood Barracks. Territorial Army Centre on part of what was a much larger site. Cadet Centre for Air Cadets
St.Peter’s Church. This is now the Deeper Life Bible Church. Built 1873 by Charles Barry. Jun. The tower with slated spire and the church built in Kentish rag with a polychrome interior. Stained glass window with pictorial scenes of c. 1891.Site given by Richard Thornton of Sydenham Hill.
Telephone Exchange. Opened on 2 May 1962 on the site of the old fire station. It was named Townley to commemorate Margaret Townley, Alleyn’s mother. The natural choice for the new telephone exchange’s name was ‘Dulwich’, but DUL was the same as FUL, which was the dialling code for Fulham.
Dulwich Fire Station, opened in 1893, It had one officer, nine firemen, all married, one coachman, four horses, one steamer, one manual engine, hose and four fire escapes. It was bombed and closed in 1947 and demolished in 1958.

Lordship Lane Estate
Area behind the Grove Pub built by Camberwell Council in the early 1950s
Bew Court: the site of the Grove Tavern was once, known as Bew's Corner, after Old Mother Bew who ran a tea-shop there.
Byron Court. Lord Byron, the poet, attended Dr.Glennie’s school on the site
Campbell Court: Thomas Campbell, poet, lived at Sydenham and visited the school
Glennie Court: Dr Alexander Glennie ran a private school here at the end of the 18th
Maxwell Court: Charles Maxwell bought The Green Man public house in 1774 after the school closed.
McLeod Court: Sir Donald McLeod, was a pupil at the school.

Mount Adon Park
Named after a local big house “Adon Mount’. Home of a Mr. James Henderson.
49 Odyssey. Centre for people with learning disabilities

Overhill Road
Dawson’s Hill. Ice-age, glaciers formed valleys and hills. It is 255 feet high and was part of the Great North Wood. Streams would have run down the hill and fed the Effra. It is on a 'ley line' Celtic artefacts found in the 1950s
Bronze Age barrow could he seen here until the 1950s
A Roman fortress was here alongside Roman Wood Vale
Dawson’s Brickworks site in the early 20th on the north foot of the hill
Dawson Heights. Two twelve-storey brick ziggurats face each other across a drab stretch of green. By Southwark Architects Department called the ‘Inca housing estate’ because - it was meant to be inspired by a great ship, or an Inca temple
Landells is an old name,
63b wildlife garden with pond. Plants from all over the world, including acacias, banana trees, abutilons, tree ferns, palms, cannas, hostas, Bonsai trees and carnivorous plants.

Underhill Road
58 Plaque erected 1990 to C.S. Forester 1899-1966 'novelist lived here' best known for creating Horatio Hornblower

Westwood Park
Springs from this area would have fed the Effra running via Lordship Lane, Dulwich and Herne Hill

Wood Vale,
Said to be part of a Roman Road from Woodbridge to Chichester. The name is a reminder of the West Wood - part of the Great North Wood. It was 500 acres and there were Commoners Rights from Lewisham which were lost rights James I - Colfe protested. 1615 march and the rights were re-won. The road is the boundary between Lewisham and Southwark and has been on the line of the boundary between Kent and Surrey.
110 Moore Park Hotel. Gone
Five old oak pollards Between Woodlands Court which are relic boundary markers. On the opposite side are a number of gardens featuring a Chilean pine-the monkey puzzle tree-a Victorian favourite but now threatened in its native habitat

Monday, 17 May 2010

Thames Tributary Effra - Gipsy Hill

Thames Tributary Effra
A tributary flows northwards having come from Jasper Passage and the lower end of Colby Road. It joins Gipsy Hill, at a junction with Dulwich Wood Avenue, and then flows alongside it and it then goes to Clive Avenue.
Another tributary joins it at Hamilton Road beyond the Paxton Pub at the junction where Gipsy Road, Alleyn Park and Gipsy Hill meet.


Post to the west Norwood
Post to the north Dulwich College
Post to the south Crystal Palace

Alleyn Park
Named for Edward Alleyn, Tudor founder of Dulwich College

Baird Gardens
TV inventor J.C.Baird lived in Crescent Wood Road.

Bowen Drive
Named for Charles Bowen, a Law Lord and Governor of Dulwich College.
Kingswood Estate. A post Second-World-War L.C.C. estate built in the grounds of Kingswood House. The area used to be held by Dulwich College and the blocks of flats are name after fellows of Dulwich College.
Round Green – an old oak is the site of the former green
Kingswood House. This could have been named after Edward King who was a tenant of Dulwich manor in 1535. William Vizard built Kingswood Lodge in 1811. He was a solicitor working on the divorce of George IV and he was the Queen's adviser. In the 1890s John Lawson Johnston, inventor of Bovril, bought the house. He added the entrance, battlements and a wing. During the First World War it was a Canadian military hospital and later became a nursing home until it was bought by Sir William Vestey. In a poor state after the Second World War it in 1956 it became a community centre and library.
Sir Ernest Shackleton Pub - another old boy of Dulwich

Bowley Lane
Built in 1984 and linking the Spinney Gardens estate to Farquhar Road. The road creates the area now managed as Dulwich Upper Wood
On the site of the Crystal Palace High Level Station. Turntable area is now used for parking. Arcading in the retaining wall. Partial view of the tunnel entrance

Brownings
Was the name of parcels of land owned by the College in the area of Dulwich Village.

Cawnpore Street
14 Railway Bell. Railway memorablia

Colby Road
Edward Colby was schoolmaster of Dulwich College in 1645
39 plaque to Annie Besant. 1847-1933. Plaque says ‘social reformer, lived here in 1874’ Plaque erected 1963.

Crystal Palace Parade
Site of Crystal Palace High Level Station. Opened 1st August 1865 by the London, Chatham & Dover Railway to tap the traffic to Crystal Palace. The Governors of Dulwich College insisted that the railway maintained standards on its land – so Charles Barry built a grandiose Gothic terminus which was very big, cost £100,000, with four big chateau style turrets. Peto and Betts were responsible for its design. In 1895 it was renamed ‘Crystal Palace & Upper Norwood’. Between 1917 and 1919 it closed. In 1923 it was renamed 'High Level'. In 1926 only an average of 13 passengers in each train from Crystal Palace and then Crystal Palace burnt down – During the fire The Fire Brigade set up a temporary HQ in the Station and crowds of spectators invaded the sidings, climbing on to carriages for a better view and A special train was laid on to take them home. In 1940 the site was used to store buffet and restaurant cars. It reopened in 1946 but there were More rats and bats were there than people. In 1954 the last public service ran and a special steam service, the Palace Centenarian, the next day. In 1956 the tracks were lifted and in 1961, the terminus was demolished. Only a few arcaded walls are left & 24 bays of passageways through to the palace. The site has been redeveloped for housing. The subway remains.
Housing. A competition for low-cost energy saving housing on this site was won in 1981 by J. Palejowski. The layout complements the railway remains; the houses are designed with projecting vertical glazed conservatories intended as solar collectors.
Tiled chamber under the road which was the Subway from the High Level Station leading straight into the Crystal Palace. It is faced with red and cream brickwork. Three parallel rows of octagonal brick column with mushroom-flared heads and diaper patterning. It was all done by Italian cathedral craftsmen and is Almost the only survivor of the station.
TV Transmitter. 740 high BBC. Dates from the early 1950s and is the only self supporting unguyed lattice tower in the country. Tallest structure in London. The station was constructed in the mid-1950s among the ruins of the Crystal Palace. The Aquarium on which it is mostly built was partially destroyed in 1941 during the demolition of the Palace's north water tower. Built by specialist, Painter Brothers.

Dulwich Wood Avenue
Wates estates replacing mansions - by Austin Vernon and partners architects to Dulwich College. Originally called ‘The Avenue’ the name was changed in 1939.
24-28 Italianate villas by the College Surveyor, Charles Barry Jun. These were the first to be built here.
Long meadow - open space managed by London Borough of Southwark. Also called ‘Belle’ or ‘Bell’ Meadow.

Dulwich Wood Park
Part of a route to link Crystal Palace with the College in 1854.Called Victoria Road and re-named in 1876

Farquhar Road
Originally called Cold Blow Lane. Named for George Farquhar first secretary to Crystal Palace Co.
Dulwich Upper Wood. This was part of the Great North Wood and belonged to the Abbot of Bermondsey sold in 1605 to Edward Alleyn who set up the College of God's Gift. In the wood are two lines of ancient pollarded trees and a ditch - marking divisions of the Great North Wood. It became part of Vicars Oak Coppice which was cleared in the 1870s and eight villas built in Farquhar Road. Some of these houses were bombed others were demolished as derelict - only no. 18 remained. The basements of the houses remain a feature of the wood. Following the building Spinney Gardens in 1984 the wood was taken over by TRUE. The wood fringes the road and is covers an embankment. The trees have colonised the grounds of the houses although some oaks, 400 years old, remain from the earlier ancient woodland. There is sessile oak as well as cherry laurel, rhododendron, false acacia and sycamore. There is an area of coppice and a nature trail. Nature reserve. There is a pond and bog garden created by puddling the underlying London clay, an herb garden, fern and fungi gardens...

Fountain Drive
In 1938 there was a drinking fountain there at the top. Marked the boundaries of four local authorities—before the 1974 reorganisation.

Gypsy Hill
Gipsy Hill. Named, like nearby Gipsy Road, from the gypsies who frequented this once wooded area in the 17th, 18th, and early 19th. It had been named by Thurlow and was sold on his death. Development followed the enclosure of Norwood Common in 1810. Blocks of flats were built between the world wars, and have replaced many of the largest houses. There is a wonderful view - this is the highest point around London and is said to be level with the cross of St. Paul’s,
A stream ran alongside the road, with a spring near the site of Christ Church,Windmill on the top and there were plans for another.
Gypsy House. This was in the angle of Gipsy Hill and Gipsy Road. Demolished about 1810. It was timber-built and where gypsies lived until the early 19th. Margaret Finch lived there when she was Queen of the Gypsies and Samuel Pepys recorded his wife's visit there in 1668 to have her fortune told. Margaret lived in a tepee-like structure made from branches, at the foot of an ancient tree. Allegedly, she was 109 when she died in 1740 and had to be buried in a deep, square box because she had sat cross-legged for so long that her limbs could not be straightened. No evidence that the title of queen meant anything at all.
Christ Church. Built by John Giles in 1859. Also Large, with a tall tower completed 1889 and lots of plate tracery.Burnt down in the 1980s and since rebuilt, the original tower remains.
10 three floor brick built police station. Designed by Charles Reeves, Metropolitan Police Surveyor, in 1854. Converted for use as police flats in 1948.
78 This was French's Dairy, there are said to be still cow rings in the back wall. French’s cows lived in a field at the bottom of the hill.
79 Gypsy Hill Tavern
Gypsy Hill Station 1856. Between Crystal Palace and West Norwood on Southern Rail. Opened as part of West End of London and Crystal Palace Railway LBSCR – for the opening of Crystal Palace at Norwood. First station outside Crystal Palace Low Level.
132 Colby Arms.

Gypsy Road
255 The Paxton Italianate pub. Now called The Mansion. Looming tower and black turret windows

Lyall Avenue
Dulwich Wood Nursery School and Children’s Centre for LB Southwark. Woodland play areas.
Langbourne Primary School. Used temporarily by Harris Boys Academy.

Kingswood Drive
St.Margaret Clitherow. Catholic Church 1974

Paxton Green
Seems to be the name of the roundabout at the junction of Gipsy Hill and Alleyn Park. Could have been Gypsy Hill Field, supposed to be site of a plague pit

Rockhill
Springs from this area feed the Effra running via Belair and Herne.Originally this was Reservoir Road and links College Road with Sydenham Hill. , Named after Paxton’s house ‘Rockhills which was at the junction of Crystal Palace Parade and Westwood Hill
Reservoir built 1857 by the Lambeth Water Company to supply Forest Hill and Lower Sydenham. Demolished in 1984 leaving the arches as a feature.

Rouse Gardens
Named after a Director of the Midland Bank who was a Dulwich College old boy

Seeley Drive
Seeley was Assistant Master of Dulwich College 1885-1950

Spinney Gardens
Housing Estate built in 1986.

Sydenham Hill
Very old road, over a kilometre in length, it sweeps round in an inverted S curve along a 100 metre high ridge, along the Lewisham Southwark boundary as well as that of the Dulwich College Estate. It is an ancient highway and Roman objects were found in a gravel pit here in 1806. Houses were built here in the early 19th but while some have survived, others are replaced by housing estates and flats.
11 looks like an early 18th Regency villa, but is actually late 19th.Now flats.
12 Grange Court. A substantial classical house 1861, with round-headed windows on three levels and decorative details.
14 Gothic with barge boarded gabled bays, probably c.1860
16 The Wood Mansion in a Tudor style. The central part is linked to end pavilions and it looks almost symmetrical. The original building was 1840, but it was extended 1855 and redesigned by Sir Joseph Paxton for Lady Hunloke, mistress of the Duke of Devonshire. A coach-house at the rear is basically c1840, but also altered.
17 Dilkhoosh, classical house c1860, with a colonnade added in the later 19th. Plaque to Sir Francis Pettit Smith pioneer of the screw-propeller. He lived here 1864-1870. The screw-propeller overtook the paddle-wheel as the standard method of steam-ship propulsion.
18 stuccoed Regency villa, c1840.
28 Highfield. Classical house c1855.Now Abbeyfield Extra Care Home.
31Moss Grange. At one time a caravan was kept in the forecourt as a shrine to the owner’s son – Captain Lancaster. He was a long distance flyer and having flown the Atlantic was charged in the US with Mrs.Keith Miller of the murder of her husband. They were acquitted but he was lost with his plane.
34 The Cedars. Enormous. Built in 1894 for Charles Ash Body. By the entrance the staircase windows is ornamental stonework with the monogram CAB. Roman objects have been found in the grounds and 1816 boundary stones. It has been The Salvation Army International College for Officers since 1950 and they have built extensions in the grounds.
34a Sydenham Hill House, an irregular mock-Jacobean house of 1898 said to have been built in Teutonic style for a German. Tower with a battlemented oriel and a parapet.
39 Dulwich Wood House. Stuccoed pub, Italianate, built 1858. It has a central square lookout tower with ranges on either side. With a rustic air.
41 Beltwood. Eccentric mansion c1854, in grounds which occupy much of the space between Sydenham Hill and Crescent Wood Road and the house is at the end of a byway. It has a magnificent facade facing south with a circular window and Wedgwood style classical decoration. Holly hedge round it
46 Castlebar, mansion of 1879, now Castlebar Care House. The scale is enormous. Ionic porch with a tower and another tower leading up to the roof
Boundary stone
57a Crescent Wood Cottage stuccoed with a turret. It was originally an outbuilding of Beltwood
Hexagonal pillar box
Horse trough top of the hill. Gone

Tylney Avenue
Tylney was a Tudor Master of the Revels. Alleyn’s theatres had to be licensed by him.

Woodland Road
Woodland Hill Hall built as a schoolroom and community building for Christ Church 1874, soup kitchen and library added 1880. Since redeveloped.
Paxton Primary School, built by Walls Bros. for the London School Board as a school for 800 children. The architect was T. J. Bailey, opening 1887

Saturday, 15 May 2010

Thames Tributary Effra - West Dulwich

Thames Tributary Effra
The Effra and one of its tributaries flow north through this area.

Effra
2 streams flow northwards towards the South Circular. The one running under Clive Road is the tributary
The main river bends right here and heads through West Norwood Cemetery.



Post to the west Knight's Hill
Post to the north West Dulwich
Post to the east Dulwich College
Post to the south Norwood

Clive Road
Commemorates Baron Clive of Plassey, founder of British dominion in India. (1725-74)
Emmanuel Church. Brick and concrete church with youth centre linked by a bridge over the entrance in which there is a gallery and committee room. Designed By Hutchison, Loci & Monk, 1967-8The church has seating on three sides and a raised roof-light over the altar. It replaces a church of 1876 by E. C. Robins. There is also a tiny open space with a footpath running through to flats designed with it.
109 Dudley House, Built 1882 and occupied by Ralph Gardiner, plasterer and builder. Elaborate plasterwork on the fa├žade

Croxted Road
This was crooked lane and one of the main routes into Norwood.
From Norwood the river is generally agreed to have followed Croxted Road up to Brockwell Park but Evidence from flooding suggests that the course of the river may actually have been west of Rosendale rather than Croxted Road.
Park Hall Road
100 Alleyn’s Head.
Hall Place. Was near the shops. Moated Tudor House pulled down when Croxted Road built in 1880.
Ex-mews works making stench pipes.
Gipsy Hill telephone exchange. Massive building.

Robson Street
South Metropolitan Cemetery. In 1836 39 acres were incorporated as the South Metropolitan Cemetery, the second of the eight large cemeteries established then. Two chapels were built; both by Sir William Tite in stock brick. The church seated 2,500 with windows by Clayton & Bell. The Episcopal chapel was demolished in 1955 after war damage and a smaller Dissenters' chapel was replaced by a brick Gothic crematorium by A. Underdown, in 1960. The Lodge was built in 1955.There are a set of Catacombs there. It was originally laid out with paths winding up the hill between clumps of trees and the earliest monuments are near the top, but a hundred years later the open landscape has been entirely filled with graves. The cemetery was acquired by the borough of Lambeth in 1966 for use as open space. There is an entrance and fine cast-iron railings along Robson Street. Many important monuments including the Tate mausoleum and many engineers including Bessemer. There is a Greek Orthodox Cemetery in a small separate burial ground

Rosendale Road
The road was intended as a grand avenue between Crystal Palace and Dulwich College. This was foiled by the developer of Tritton Road.
In 1935 the sewer was enlarged to help avoid the repeated floodings, and deep shafts were sunk here. Again the landscape in this area suggests at least a rough course for the river. Evidence from flooding cellars suggests that the course of the river may actually have been west of Rosendale Road rather than Croxted Road.The Rosendale pub
Vintage Wireless Museum
Rosendale Primary School. London School Board school. Local people protested unsuccessfully that the school would depreciate the value of their property. Temporary iron buildings were erected in 1897 and a permanent school built 1890; the architect was T. J. Bailey
Peabody Buildings. This estate including the allotments on Knight's Hillwas designed by William Cubitt and Co. and were built in 1901. In 1905 82 cottages were added, and 64 in 1907–8; designed by W. E. Wallis. The estate includes a communal hall built in 1913.

Thurlow Park Road
St.Cuthbert & St.Mary's church 1901 prominent. Presbyterian by A. O. Breeds. In red brick with stone dressings. Tower.

Thames Tributary Effra - Norwood

Thames Tributary Effra
The Effra flows north through this area
A tributary to the Effra also flows north on the route of Clive Avenue

Post to the west Knights Hill
Post to the north West Dulwich
Post to the east Gipsy Hill
Post to the south Upper Norwood

Berridge Road
St.Jude Mission Church from Christ Church, Gipsy Hill. 1881
21 Ashburnham Hall for an Institute for Christ Church, Gipsy Hill and St.Jude, 1886 two halls, workshop, stable, coach-house, offices and buildings .

Central Hill
The Effra flowed through here.
Gravel pit on the site of the junction with Crown Dale and Elder Road.
The wall of the convent here was washed away in floods in 1890 and can still be seen
Bloomfield Hall. on the north side. Home of the Tritton family. MP for Norwood.
Central Hill House.

Chapel Road
10A The Pavement, very small garden behind shops. Cottage garden planting.

Clive Avenue

Crown Dale
Norwood School designed by James Cubitt and Partners, 1967-72. Buildings in the yellow brick and shuttered concrete. Three-storey classroom block on two levels, and lower gymnasium wing.


Dunbar Road
Housing - new and rehabilitated by Lambeth Architect's Department, 1974.

Elder Road
Effra runs along it from coming from Hermitage Road to West Norwood. It floods sometimes. The dip where the road meets Central Road is evident
Old Relieving Office inscription on a white stone tablet high on the side: "FLOOD LEVEL 17th July 1890". By 1810 development followed the enclosure of Norwood Common
56 Park Tavern.
Elderwood School House for the housing of industry for the infant poor. An extension to the Lambeth workhouse was moved here from Kennington in 1819 and a long plain yellow brick range built. Up until 1836, it accommodated both very young and the very old ad in 1838, the school had 460 inmates. From late 1868 the Board acquired more land for the "New School" which opened in July 1885. Additional buildings included an Infirmary and a First and Second Probation block, and an Isolation Block. An Infants' Block, built in 1849, had two night-nurseries each with 40 cots, and two large school-rooms. There were administrative offices, superintendent's quarters, kitchen, dining-hall etc. The children's blocks were three storeys high and each took 72 children. Beneath the dining-hall, was a steam-heated swimming bath and the boys had an outdoor swimming bath. In 1930 it was taken over by the London County Council and divided up. Most of the buildings have been demolished. Although, the lodge and the front block of the old school survive and have been converted to residential use.
Elder Road School. Primary school Part of the old Elderwood workhouse
Lambeth Home for the Aged, Part of the old Elderwood workhouse
Elderwood, home for the elderly Part of the old Elderwood workhouse
Norwood House Part of the old Elderwood workhouse for the elderly also used to house homeless families.
Wood Vale was Norwood Children's Home Part of the old Elderwood workhouse
Woodvale. Lambeth housing completed in 1975, on the site of the old workhouse. Low terraces of houses in a pedestrian precinct, surrounded by taller flats over garages. Yellow brick walls and pitched roofs. There is a large green and older trees preserved in the centre.
61-65 World Wide Mission Fellowship
St.Luke's Church of England Primary School. In 1810 the Lambeth Manor Inclosure Commissioners awarded a piece of land to the Lambeth Vestry. in 1825 it was resolved to use of it for a school. In 1850 an infant school was built adjacent to this. single-storey building with the name, Norwood Infant School.

Gypsy Road
3-5 the original site was on Norwood Common. two houses built c.1842. paired three storey houses of stock brick
69 Gipsy Tavern
201 Two Towers pubThree-storeyed flats by Booth & Ledeboer, c. 1950.
Gipsy Road School. primary school built 1875 London School Board school, E. R. Robson being the architect. These buildings have since been replaced. In 1895–6 a Junior Mixed School was added; T. J. Bailey was the architect, and the builder, was C. Cox of Hackney and the school was opened in 1896. In 1958 Norwood School for Girls, secondary school for girls by the London County Council and housed on the same site. They moved in 1971 and the site became Norwood Park Primary School. This school closed in 2002 due to falling numbers and the site used for Crown Lane Primary School, It then took in Elmgreen parent promoted school
Stink pipe at the lowest point in the road outside the school
Kingswood Children’s Centre. Kingswood Road School. Gabled asymmetrical early London School Board School. built by G. Ward of Dulwich to accommodate 600 children. The architect was E. R. Robson, opened and extended in 1904–5.

Hamilton Road
1 Bricklayer’s Arms
Church
Industrial estate
St.Saviour's almshouses, The United St. Saviour's College. Originally founded in St. Saviour's Southwark, in the 16th, 17th and 18th. When their site was bought by the Charing Cross Railway they were moved to Norwood. The earliest buildings are 1863 to the design of Edward Habershon; and are a chapel with 16 almshouses. In the wall are inscribed stones about the founders. In 1862 the residents of Edward Alleyn's alms-houses in Soap Yard, Southwark, moved to Gravel Lane but this too was bought by the South Eastern Railway in 1885, and they too moved here. An east block was built in 1884; the architect was G. N. Mclntyre North, and this was later extended but it was destroyed in bombing in 1944, but rebuilt in 1952. New blocks built 2006.

Linton Grove
Infill housing and rehabilitation by Shankland Cox and Partners for Lambeth.
St.Luke’s Church of England School

Norwood High Street
East Place, is another flood site when in 1914 the Effra overflowed from the sewer
Day and Son Depository
49 Hope. One of the pubs Young’s had the longest. Leased to Baimbridge and Young in 1850 and Young’s bought the freehold in 1902. Originally served by the Norwood Brewery.
Milton Lloyd. Perfume manufacturer.
46 Astoria Cinema. now store
82 Southern Pride. originally the King's Head and One of the pubs served by the Norwood Brewery and their principal house. The draymen and horses lived in a building round the back. Includes Ego night club
80 Mylands Wood finishes

Salters Hill
1810 development followed the enclosure of Norwood Common
Norwood Park. Gypsy camping grounds. There were iron gratings in the fields with the river running underneath.
Thatched cottages with wooden bridges over the stream to the road.

Whiteley Road
Whiteley Road Hall, built as an extension to Christ Church, Gipsy Hill in 1925.the entrance to which lies near what was formerly Sir Ernest Tritton's kitchen garden. The builders of the Hall were Messrs. Akers and Co. of Norwood and the joint architects Messrs. J. B. L. Tolhurst and J. M. Colvin

Windsor Grove,
There used to be two large ponds known as ‘The Reservoir’.