Friday, 31 December 2010

Thames Tributary Salfords Stream - Mason's Bridge

Thames Tributary Salfords Stream
Salfords Stream flows west towards the river Mole


Salfords stream
The stream flows south west and then turns north west



Post to the west Salfords
Post to the north Redhill Aerodrome



Axes Lane
Dairy House Farm - this is now called Honeycrock Farm. The farm changed hands in 1984 up to when it had been a biscuit milling plant for animal feed. The new owner, Mr. Fidler, farms the land and rents out sheds for helicopter storage and some fields for grazing. He then built at the back of the site a house in the shape of a castle and covered it with straw bales so that the planning authorities wouldn’t see it. He seems to have won on appeal to the inspectorate.
Oakfield
Axeland Park

Mason’s Bridge Road
Mason’s Bridge over the Salfords Stream

Thames Tributary Salfords Stream - Redhill Aerodrome

Thames Tributary Salfords Stream
Salfords Stream flows west towards the river Mole


Salfords stream
The stream flows south west


Post to the west Whitebushes
Post to the north South Nutfield
Post to the east Redhill Aerodrome
Post to the south Mason's Bridge

Kings Mill Lane
Redhill Aerodrome. The aerodrome opened in 1934 when British Air Transport left Croydon and the company bought Ham Farm while A G Douglas founded Redhill Flying Club in 1937. Six new hangars were built in 1938. In the Second World War it was satellite airfield to Kenley. In 1941-42 the perimeter track was laid and blister hangars, concrete aircraft stands and aircrew huts added. Balloon Barrage Command was on site until May 1945 and it was then used as an ammunition dump, cleared in 1947. After the war the airfield was used for private flying. On site were engineering firms; Bristow's helicopters, Brake Brothers food – using premises in which the MOD had kept 'Green Goddess' fire engines. There was also a grass drying plant.
CAG hut. The Civil Air Guard was formed in 1937 and was a scheme by which men and women could learn to fly cheaply if they undertook to serve in the RAF in an emergency. The hut is by the airport gate.
Royal Observer Post This was a permanent posts, but it was removed after the disbandment of the ROC.
Air-Raid Shelters Four air-raid shelters have been identified - One used as storage by a factory

Thames Tributary Salfords Stream - Redhill Aerodrome

Thames Tributary Salfords Stream
Salfords Stream flows west towards the river Mole


Salfords stream
The stream is flowing directly west. It is joined from the north by the Nutfield Brook which is culverted under the airport

Post to the north Nutfield
Post to the east Redhill Aerodrome
Post to the east Coopers Hill Road

Crab Hill Lane
Pumping station, sewage works
Eugene Bann Indoor Tennis Centre Perimeter Cottages

Moats Lane
South Hale Farm. Listed 16th farmhouse with 17th wing. Timber framed, with brick cladding . This is a moated medieval site.
Redhill Airport The airfield dates from the 1930s for private flying and it was used as an alternate airfield to Croydon by Imperial Airways.An Elementary Flying Training School was set up here in 1937 but moved in 1940. It then became an RAF station mainly of fighter squadrons – some Polish. It went out of RAF use in1947 and entirely in 1954 and it was not until 1959 when the Tiger Club began to use it and then Bristow Helicopters. It is now operated by Redhill Aerodrome Limited.

Thames Tributary Salfords Stream - Coopers Hill Road

Thames Tributary Salfords Stream
Salfords Stream flows west towards the river Mole

Salfords stream
The stream is flowing directly west.

TQ 31241 47336

Long lonely country road with the M23 as its neighbour


Post to the West Redhill Aerodrome
Post to the east Lawn Hill

Coopers Hill Road
Burstow Park Farm. Probable site of iron working bloomery. 16th farmhouse registered as “of interest”
Fish Pond plus a smaller pond

Moats Lane/Crab Hill Lane

M23

Sources
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey

Thames Tributary Salfords Stream - Outwood Lane

Tq 33 49
Thames Tributary Salfords Stream
Salfords Stream flows west towards the river Mole

Salfords stream

Post to the south Lawn Hill

Outwood Lane
Kennels Farm.mixed farming plus some housing development
Bransland Wood. Owned by the National Trust. Includes a pond.
Temple Wood

Thames Tributary - Salfords Stream

Tq 33 48
Thames Tributary Salfords Stream
Salfords Stream flows west towards the river Mole
Salfords stream
The stream has risen slightly to the east in the Godstone area and is flowing directly west.


Post to the west Coopers Hill Road
Post to the north Bransland Wood

Lawn hill

Thursday, 30 December 2010

Thames Tributary Hogsmill - Kingston

Thames Tributary Hogsmill
The Hogsmill flows into the Thames


This post relates to sites south of the Thames only. North of the Thames is HamptonWick

Post to the north Canbury Gardens and Teddington Normansfield and Trowlock
Post to the south Kingston Portsmouth Road and Hampton Court Park Rick Pond

Apple Market
Funnel shaped. There is geological evidence that the Thames once flowed to the east of it and this suggests that the Old Town was once an island with a small prehistoric settlement
6 Cafe Italia. Building of 1888 Dutch Renaissance style for Ellis & Co. Wine merchants
9 Harrow Passage. Site of the Harrow Inn. Has a timber-framed upper parts of c. 1530

Bishop's Hall
2 Bishop Out of Residence. Pub Young’s.
Distillery here until 19th owned by Nicholas family
Bishop's Hall, which was here in 1350 and belonged to the Bishop of Winchester, it was west of Thames Street on the riverside. Hugh Herland, royal master carpenter, lived here in 1392. He designed the hammer beam roof in Westminster Hall I. Much of the timber came from Kingston. By 1631 it was a tannery
Kingston Tannery. On site by 1631 it grew and continued to operate on the same site until 1963 when it was burnt down. At one time a third of the leather processed nationally was done in Surrey

Charter Quay
This is a development area covering the mouth of the Hogsmill and Thameside Wharves either side of it. This area was owned by the London Charterhouse in the Middle Ages

Church Street
1 Listed Early 17th with 18th alterations and after a fire in 1973 and a concrete frame inserted. Timber framed Shop on the ground floor. This building is also 23 Market Place.
2 Listed Grade II. Early 19th
3-5 early 19th door and upper parts a modern shop has combined both ground floors.
6, 6a and 8 shops. Late 16th originally a public house, divided into three shops in the 19th. Timber framed with Modern shop fronts. This had been a Tudor brewery, which in the 19th was Flint and Shaw, bought up in 1856 by Joseph East and then became East's Albion and Star Brewery which was run as a brewery and a tap until 1867
24-24a Listed Grade II. 19th. 3 and 4 storeys and also curved into Market Place. Modern shop on the ground floor.

Clarence Street
The main thoroughfare from the bridge is almost entirely a 20th shopping street. It was originally built along with the bridge as an approach road to it
House - by the bridge approach, plain early 19th three storeys.
Kingston Literary and Scientific Institute. Two day rooms. 1982 much altered. By Scott & Moffat, opened in 1841 and short lived.
30-32 which was Atkins Restaurant and Bakery, a half-timbered fake of 1922, with recessed balcony and corner cupola.

Down Hall Road
Built in the 1890s along with Canbury Gardens
Down Hall. This was a riverside house with grounds stretching back into the area now covered by shops and industry. In the 15th it belonged to the Skerne family and later in the 19th to the Nuthalls, local businessmen. Parts of the estate gradually went to industry and in 1934 the remains of the estate was bought by Bentalls.
Canbury Gardens. The area had been marshy reeds, osiers and gravel extraction. Following public meetings in the 1880s and then brought forward to the Council by Samuel Gray and it was opened in 1890. They were designed by Henry Macaulay the Borough Surveyor.
Tar paving works on the site of Canbury Gardens
Kingston A. power station. The first Kingston power station, with initially a power of 2 kW and equipment supplied by Siemens Brothers, opened in November 1893.It closed in August 1959.
Native Guano Works set up in 1888. Local sewage was dried and the residue sold for fertilizer, the clean Water was put into the river and solids pelleted. They Used machinery by Willans and Robinson of Thames Ditton., Hampton wick joined the scheme sending its sewage by pipe via the railway bridge. The fertiliser produced was British exported to Singapore and Barbados. The smell however led to complaints and the Corporation ended the lease in 1909 moving the works to Southall. Kingston B electric power station was later built on this site.
Kingston B Power Station. Plans for the new power station were made before World War II but it eventually opened in October 1948 - by King George VI with Queen Elizabeth. It was built by Preece, Cardew & Rider, engineers. Because of its proximity to the Thames there were no cooling towers, coal was delivered by barge, and ash removed by barge. At one time it was third in the power station league table but gradually became uneconomic. It was closed in 1980. There were proposals to preserve it but in 1994 the two 250 feet high 32-sided chimneys of blown up by Brown & Mason.

Emms Passage
Named after James Emms, a "last maker", in the late 18th. It was the site of a boat building yard and yacht agency. Recent development has moved the site of this passageway.

Henry Macaulay Avenue
New road on the power station site. Major Macaulay was the Victorian Borough Surveyor who laid out Canbury Gardens and much else.

High Street
This was not originally a very grand road. It was in the past part of the area called Westby Thames, an industrial area with passages to the river wharves and many maltings. It became a main route after the station had been built at Surbiton. .
Guildhall. The previous town hall, now the market house on 1838 was replaced in 1935 when a new Guildhall Was built by Maurice E. Webb, son of Aston Webb, who, had been appointed in 1933. It was in neo-Georgian brick plus a square tower and sculptures relevant to the Thames. Inside is a council chamber and committee rooms divided by partitions and designed also to be used as a public hall. There were also law courts and a room with 16th linen fold panelling from the previous town hall. Guildhall One and Two were built 1975-8 by Ronald Ward & Partners and Roy Roe Associates and the Borough Architect, James Lidster
1 16th timber-framed building with 18th lath and plaster facade. Weatherboard and jetting. Behind it is a late 18th building.
3 Druid's Head public house. Listed Grade II*. Built of red brick with blue headers and an 18th front. Inside is an original staircase and plaster ceilings. It is the only surviving inn in Kingston from the coaching era. Said to be the first pub to make syllabub
5 18th building
5-7 Police station. Site of Creek House, Georgian distiller's house, connected to the Creekside distillery
6-9 site of department Store. This was the site of the Castle Hotel which Shrubsole bought and turned into a department store in 1866. They had the front designed by Decimus Burton. In 1873 it became Hide’s store and in 1977 the House of Fraser, also Army and Navy stores and Chiesemans. In the basement is some flint walling and 17th brickwork. Inside is a mid 17th timber staircase from the old Hotel although a Bit was cut off a cherub following complaints by a 19th lady customer. In the cellars was a port wine bottling plant for Kingston Distillery in 19th.
17 18th house restored in 1982. In yellow brick with a painted parapet front. A Modern shop front cuts up the bays,
22-28 Slug and Lettuce pub
30 Georgian House behind Victorian facade
34 Ram Pub. This was a tied house to the adjacent Fricker brewery. It is now Greene King
39-41 this was originally a single timber-framed and jettied house of a late medieval type. Probably with a shop and an enclosed chamber above, with an open hall at the rear. There is a Victorian facade
40 Early 19th building with an early 20th shop front
Eagle Wharf public open space which is the site of Fricker’s Eagle Brewery opened here in the early 19th by Thomas Fricker. In 1903 it was for sale and despite a Chancery case by the Fricker family it was bought out by Hodgson's who were after the tied houses and closed the brewery .The frontage to the Eagle Tap remained. Eventually the wharf was used by coal barges. On the Kingston Zodiac the eagle is the Libra bird
Distillery. Alongside the creek owned by Stevens family in the 18th and from 18590 owned by Robert Horne, a local maltster and various others until sold to Gordon in 1919. It closed in 1925. Adjoining it was a big a house, Creek House, home of the distiller.
Hodgson Bros Malt houses with a kiln top. It was on a site currently occupied by offices. Bought by Smelt in 1895, who put a pseudo ancient frontage up and sold antique furniture. A plaque was put up on the building saying it was a malt house of 1617. It became a protected building in 1956 but six weeks later it was demolished on a Sunday morning.
24 Rose Theatre. A 900-seat venue opened in 208 with a circular auditorium is modelled on the original Elizabethan Rose Theatre, on Bankside. It is on the site of the Odeon Cinema. Architect James E. Adamson, C.T. Marshall. Originally planned by an independent operator, the building was taken over by Oscar Deutsch and was opened as an Odeon in July 1933 with film star Jack Buchanan attending in person. There was a cafe and a dancehall and in 1934 a Compton 3Manual/7Ranks organ with an illuminated console on a lift, now in Malvern. It was closed in 1967 and became a Top Rank Bingo Club which closed in 1987 and the building was demolished in 1989.

Horsefair
A renaming of the road across the bridge and its route to Wood Street. It actually goes through the John Lewis building. The name does however reflect an ancient horse fair held locally.

Jerome Street
A new private road accessing flats south of the Hogsmill
3 Ha Ha Pub
King's Passage,
Medieval passage to the river from Thames Street. Named after John King who had a drapers shop on the corner.
Gazebo pub
Kingston
Site of an ancient ford over the Thames. There are Roman remains but little evidence to back to the story that Caesar crossed the Thames here. From 7th it was the capital of Surrey. It was called ‘King's Town’ – it was the king’s estate by the ford on the river with outlying farms called ‘bartons’. In 838 a meeting of the Great Council was held here by Egbert, King of Wessex, presided over by Archbishop Ceolnothus. Saxon kings were crowned here –Edward the Elder - Athelstan 925, Edward 939, Eadred 941, Eadwig 955, Edward the Martyr 975, Ethelred the Unready 970 and maybe others. In the Dark Ages it was a minster – a church founded by a king as an administrative centre with priests responsible for the area. In the Domesday Book it had five mills and three fisheries. Under King John it gained a charter of right and the fee farm for the bridge. There are signs of rectangular planning around the medieval bridge. It became a Royal Borough in 1927 and the Assizes moved here from Guildford in 1930. On the Kingston Zodiac it is the bird’s beak on Libra –In the beak is the coronation stone and its eye is the parish church

Market Place
Said that the Thames once flowed to the east of it – so this may have been on an island. Conservation area. There has been a market here since the 13th.
All Saints. A small pre-Conquest chapel of St Mary stood here until it fell down in the 18th. This was the Kingston Minster with four chapelries outside the area. The current church looks late medieval, and some of it does go back to the 12th, when it was rebuilt by Gilbert, Sheriff of Surrey, and given to Merton Priory. There are also Norman remains and some medieval parts built in connection with a chantry in 1459. Tower with a pretty brick top added by John Yeomans in 1708, rebuilt in 1973 and the church was reordered in 1978-9 by Hugh Cawdron. There is a fragment of an Anglo-Saxon cross shaft with interlace and a figure of St Blaise. There is also a lot of Victorian glass. Memorial Chapel of the East Surrey Regiment)
Churchyard. The foundations of the pre-conquest chapel of St.Mary are in the churchyard. There are listed late 17th century stone gate piers With Carved acanthus capitals.
Coronation stone. Is it really? This has been moved about in the area over the centuries. It is a shapeless block of grey sandstone on which the West Saxon kings are supposed to have been crowned. It was preserved in the chapel of St. Mary which fell down in 1739 so it was moved to the front of the Town Hall where it was used as a mounting stone. In 1839 it was brought into the area of the old green, and then restored to the platform over the Hogsmill. The names of Saxon Kings are in lead in the granite base. It is enshrined with Victorian railings and balustrade, Market House. Listed II* Built 1838-40 by Charles Henman Senior. Until 1935 this was the Guildhall. It is stone and brick with four corner towers. A lead statue of Queen Anne placed above the entrance was part of a previous Guildhall which is by Francis Bird 1706. The market charter is from 1257, with a Crown Concession for hogs and cattle, until 1662.
6-9 The Market Bakery was originally the Harrow pub of 1530, converted to shops in 1913.
14 late 16th timber-framed house. In the 1880s it was Nutall's Olde Segar Shoppe and they made it look more 16th than it did and it ended up even more so.
15-16 This was part of Boots Chemist Shop. Dates from 1909 and extended in 1929. In the 19th it was a library and bookshop owned from 1850 by George Philipson. He also bought the shop next door and decided to rebuild them as one. There was a big row with the builders and actual fights with hired thugs. At the back on the Churchyard wall is a plaque about Philipson. However it remains as four storeys encrusted with half- timbering, plasterwork, heraldry, and kings in niches.
23 represents antiquarian taste of the 1970s; a gabled and jettied 17th timber-framed building with 18th alterations, largely rebuilt and restored after a fire in 1973.
36 1888 by F.J. Brewer, with much terracotta. Good Victorian building
Griffin Centre with shops, bar and first-floor Assembly Room Listed Grade II. The former Griffin Hotel from the early 19th. The front continuous round from the High Street to the Market Place. It is a former coaching inn which a four horse coach left three days a week in 1869. In 1851 was taken over by John Williams, who established the assembly room to the rear. On the Kingston Zodiac it may be the hawk headed griffin in Osiris legends on the Libra bird. . .
J& B Marsh corn chandlers Shop next to the Griffin. Became Berni Inn, previously corn chandlers which altered its Jacobean frontage to Olde Englishe
Royal Shrubsole memorial 1882, Statue of King Alfred. By F. J. Williamson. High pedestal with a maiden with an urn on her shoulder and a child by her side.
Ranyard's Kingston Tallow Works. This works operated from 1762 and used Cotton wick dipped into molten fat. Produced as patent candle which didn't need snuffing and Rush lights from local rushes. The firm expanded and eventually moved to the oil mill having acquired other related business.

Riverside walk
The following covers a number of riverside sites along the Thames– there are various, and changing, names for the riverside walk between Kings Walk and slightly south of Clattern Bridge. Thus they have all been put together.
Clattern Bridge. Over the Hogsmill River. Late 12th with alterations. . 3 arches with ashlar dressings and rubble and flint filling. 18th brick top with stone capping. Mid 19th cast iron railings to match the coronation stone.
Kingston Bridge. Before 1729 there were no other bridges between it and London Bridge. Was there a Saxon or a Roman bridge? There were stone and wooden bridges going back at least to the Conquest. The medieval bridge had a Bridge master and the Freemen of Kingston controlled it. There were Pontage grants, holy bequests and a Ducking Stool underneath. At The reformation the bridge priory was abolished and tolls abolished in 1565. In 1631 Crown grants ceased so the Bridge was locked at night. It was really too narrow despite late 18th improvements and barges hit it. Middlesex and Surrey complained and both sued Kingston Corporation. In 1814 it fell down and Parliament required it to he passed to the counties. In 1825 the trustees got an Act to rebuild and funds from the Exchequer Loan Commissioners. The new bridge was designed by Edward Lapidge, County Surveyor for Surrey and the Earl of Liverpool laid the first stone in 1825. The Duchess of Clarence opened it in 1828 but there was still a big row because it was still too narrow. It was again widened. There were Toll houses, etc. but the tolls were removed in 1870. It was widened in 1914. The iron posts on the Middlesex side came from Harris’s iron foundry in the High Street and Harris' crest is on each post. The bridge was widened again in 2000 to include two bicycle lanes, larger pavements and a bus lane.
Kingston Railway Bridge. Built as part of the 1863 construction of Kingston Station following an Act of 1860 for London South West Railway. It carried the railway from and to Hampton Wick. It was designed by Errington and built by Brassey and had five cast iron arches each with 75ft span. The sewage main from Hampton Wick is attached to it.
Gazebos. Listed Grade II. 1900. Part of the riverside gardens built with the Sun Hotel. Timber-framed pavilions either side of a flight of steps down to a landing stage. The pub site became the Gazebo pub.
Westby Thames was the riverside area south of Kingston Bridge an area of maltings and wharves
Kingston's first swimming pool. This was a Pontoon in the river opened in 1882 and designed by engineer John Dixon. The bath was a grating hung in the river, which could be raised and lowered as required. It was moored Beside the Clattern ridge
Creekside distillery owned by Horne of Hampton Wick, sold to Searle and Gordon in 1929. Auctioned in 1925 and closed
Barge Dock which is the old power station jetty and home to various river related projects
Training Ship Steadfast for the Sea Cadets. This is on the site of Down Hall

Skerne Road
This was until recently Lower Ham Road. The Skerne family owned the area in the 15th.

Thames Street
1 Bradford and Bingley a late 16th timber- framed house behind a plastered front. Weather- boarded back, nicely restored.
3- 5 Grade II listed. 1901. Modern shop on the ground floor. This was Nuthalls restaurant with a banqueting hall inside. It closed as a Tea Shop in 1933
11 partly medieval in origin. This was J.J.Holland fashion shop in 1890s and in 1889 he bought shop next door. W.H.Smiths rebuilt it in the same style. Listed Grade II. Modern shop on the ground floor.
10 shop which was once the Blue Anchor pub
14 15th building with 18th
16 older house concealed behind later front
18 older house concealed behind later front. Listed Grade II 18th building but the front is 20th
26 – 28 Grade II listed. Late 17th once two buildings but now one. Modern shop on ground floor. 34 this was a boot and shoe business the building done up by Henry Tyler in 1889
Leopold Coffee Tavern was on the Clarence Street corner. One of its directors was Bryant of Bryant and May Prince Leopold gave money – thus giving its name. It didn't pay and closed in 1882
Fountain Court was a cobbled area off Thames Street owned by a family of painters and plumbers called Selfe. The Fountain was a spring in the yard and they sold water from here by the bucket. It was demolished and replaced by shops in the 1930s.
Solartron Electronics, now at Farnborough, electronics for Government after Second World War

Union Street
48 this was built in 1825 as the watch house. It later became a mortuary and was converted into a shop in 1939 with an upper storey added in the 1950s.
Garden of Remembrance. This was an extension to the churchyard 1826-1855. It was cleared in 1923 and landscaped as memorial for servicemen of the First World War
Maltings. East of here and Eden Street
Old Crown 17th timber framed building behind an early 18th red brick front.
Baptist Church of 1864 replaces a building of 1790.

Vicarage Road
Was called Pheasant Lane
Kingston Brewery. Nightingales Brewery fronting onto this and also onto Water Lane. Established in the 1830s but extended across the road in the 1860s using steam plant. They made Sovereign Ale. Sold in 1891 and used for council housing. Part of the brewery was used from the 1860s by the Marsh Brothers for their mill.
Down Hall Mill. Opened by the Marsh brothers in the 1860s on the older part of the Nightingale Brewery site. They ground flour but were also corn and forage merchants.


Can I acknowledge with this page and its predecessor on Kingston use of June Sampson's excellent 'All Change'.

Wednesday, 29 December 2010

Thames Tributary Hogsmill - Kingston

Thames Tributary Hogsmill
The Hogsmill winds through Kingston towards the Thames


Post to the east Berrylands
Post to the west Kingston Portsmouth Road and Hampton Court Park Rick Pond



Alfred Road
Developed in 1876 by Alfred Nuthall
1 marker for a Chelsea Water Works pipe line. Listed.

Athelstan Road
St Johns Ambulance station and community uses
Athelstan Recreation ground

Beaufort Road
1 Coach House. Listed. Care home.
9 in the garden is a marker for a Chelsea Water Works pipe line. Listed. The pipe line originally ran through the area as a strip on which building was not allowed.

Bellevue Road
This was originally Green Lane and is an old route through the area
4 in the garden is a marker for a Chelsea Water Works pipe line. Listed.

Bloomfield Road
13 Spring Grove pub. Listed. Built late 1880s. Spring Grove itself was an estate developed in this area, along the Hogsmill, in the 1880s out of farmland.

Chapel Mill Road
Royal Mail Service Centre Kingsmill Business Park Civic Amenity Site – local tip on the site of the Chapel Mill.
Chapel Mill or Leatherhead Mill was east of the road, very old and had belonged to Lovekyn Chapel. It became an oil mill in the 18th and run by Stephen Wedge of Battersea and later by Thomas Boorman who made a fortune there. . Linseed was bought up the Thames in barges, unloaded and taken to the mill in carts. In the 19th a steam engine was installed and then Hydraulic presses in 1870s. Barrels of the oil taken to London in vans to use in paints, varnishes, inks, lino and oilcloth and Cattle cake was made with the rest. The Mill was purchased by the railway in 1880s for a proposed line use between Kingston and Surbiton which was never built and the mill became derelict. In 1895 it was bought by William Smith to make candles. His father had been the manager of Ranyards candle works in Thames Street, bought them out and expanded it. At the oil mill they made 40 tons of candles a week with paraffin wax from Burma. They also made soap, Kingston Volvolutum. The works was bought by Price of Battersea in 1922. Kingston Refuse depot on the site now

Cranes Park:
Called after estate called the Cranes and owned by the Jemmett family. It was auctioned off in 1885 and these roads built. The Cranes itself was in the triangle between Cranes Park and Cranes Park Avenue and by 1914 had been demolished. Cranes are birds on the Zodiac
47 listed

Denmark Road
Part of Spring Grove Estate developed in 1860s on farmland by the Originally called Alexandra Road
Coronation Baths, these were on the corner with Penhyrn Road and were on an old mill site.
Hogs Mill. Hog’s Mill had belonged to Hounslow Priory and was sold to the Crown in 1554. The final mill building here dated from the early 1800s and in the 1830s and 40s was known Mercers Mill, after William Mercer, the then owner. By the 1850s it was Leonard's Mill and then Marsh's Mill – and part of a corn chandlery business, making Stan-Myln flour delivered by a team of yellow vans. In 1896 it was the Yewsabit Mill made by Johnson’s. Yewsabit was a metal polish sold to the army and with a lot of use in tine Boer War. Only Englishmen could be employed there but they had closed by 1910, demolished in the 1930s. Baths. Demolished 1980

Eversley Road
The area was developed in 1854 by the Conservative Land Society who laid out curving roads and built housing varying in size and style. Tall classical villas are faced with stone patented by architect John Taylor

Fairfield South
Kingston Methodist church
1/21 listed

Fassett Road
Built on grounds of the Grove House. Miss Fassett was the last owner
7/9 listed
57 listed

Glenthorne Road
13 Kelly Arms pub refers to ownership of Middle Mill by Kellys, printers and publishers. Closed.
Grange Road
Bedelsford School. Special school.
Stanley Picker Gallery. Part of the University
Kingston University Knights Park Campus. Contains the Faculty of Art, Design & Architecture. Previously Kingston Polytechnic
Bradbury Centre. Drop in for the elderly

Grove Crescent
Built on the grounds of The Grove House 1860s.
Hole. A hole appeared in the middle of the road early in April 1990. It was 2 ft. across at the top and 5 ft. at the bottom and 4 ft.deep.

Grove Lane
An old route through the area kept by the developer
2 Grove Lodge listed
41-47 listed
St John’s the Evangelist Churchbegan as an iron church on the corner of Springfield and Denmark roads in 1870. The foundation stone for the permanent church was laid by Bishop Samuel Wilberforce, in 1871 – the site and funding was by William Mercer for his new Spring Grove Estate. The design was by local architect A.J. Phelps but it was built without the planned tower and spire and they were not added until 1935 using money left by an earlier vicar and his sisters. In 1974 Kingston Polytechnic was using the Church as an examination hall and various considerations to extending use of this type has been important.

Herbert Road
The Hogsmill flows past the northern end of the road

Hogsmill Lane
Recycling Centre BGS Services Old Mill Court flats.

Hogsmill River
Hogsmill. Allegedly named for a 12th miller called Hog.

Horace Road
The Hogsmill flows past the northern end of the road

Knights Park
The Blue Bridge over the Hogsmill was built by developer William Mercer as a way of improving the area. Built on bowstring principles in 1894 by Major Macauley.

Lower Marsh Lane
Dairy Crest Surbiton Depot

Mill Place
Rennell House

Mill Street
Road to Middle Mill. The mill site is now a university hall of residence based in Portland Road.  This was a flour mill which later made products from coconut fibre - owned by John Barsham and the Patent Cocoa Nut Fibre Co.   It later became a printers.  The buildings are divided between water channels.
Coconut pub. The name refers to the matting business
The Swan pub

Orchard Road
Developed in the 1860s from orchard land.
20/22, 24, 30/32, 34-42 listed
St.Paul's school house listed
Drill Hall built in 1862 for the 12th Surrey Rifle Volunteers. Demolished

Penhryn Road
The Hogsmill flows under the road. Up until the 1890s this was called Grove Road after The Grove mansion which stood on the east side. The Grounds were sold in 1860s but house remained until the 1950s. The road was named after Chairman of Surrey County Council88 Leycester Penrhyn
County Hall. This is the main government building for the county of Surrey opened in November 1893. It includes a clock tower which can be seen from the river, sculptures, plaques of Surrey MPs and Lord Sheriffs, and the council chamber. It was designed by Charles Henry Howell, County Surveyor, built by Higgs and Hill and extended in 1930 and in 1938. The Ashcombe block was destroyed in bombing and rebuilt in 1953. It was again extended in 1963 and 1982. County Hall has not been in Surrey since 1965,
Surrey County Staff Club, by the County Architect's Department, 1972.
Kingston University. Slab block built as the College of Technology, with additions of 1969 onwards by the Borough Architect's Department. It has a library, health centre and canteen.
Reg Bailey Theatre which houses a stage area used by drama and dance students.
John Galsworthy Building for the university opened in November 2007. The six-storey complex with lecture theatres, flexible teaching space and information technology suites around a landscaped courtyard.
Kingston University Students' Union Penrhyn road's Student Union bar, The Space Bar.
Kingston Crown Court. On the Kingston Zodiac these are on Libra
9 listed
19 listed
Christian Science reading room

Portland Road
Part of Spring Grove Estate, developed in 1860s Estate developed 1854 by the Conservative Land Society with curving roads and housing varying in size and style. The principal developer was music publisher, William Chappell. There are tall classical villas faced with stone patented by architect John Taylor
St Johns Church of England primary school. Listed
Middle Mill halls of residence Middle Mill. Flour was milled here from at least 17th until the 19th and then cocoanut fibre for matting by Hardcastle and Wilson. In 1880 it was bought by Kellys of the directories until 1932 when they closed, and the works split up into units.

Spring Grove:
Area formed to the south of the Hogsmill, developed by Palmer and Nightingale

Springfield Road
Part of Spring Grove Estate developed in 1860s, was hoped the road would cross the Hogsmill into Fairfield. Council would not let it be built despite the fact the local miller left money for it.
The Hogsmill flows under the road
St James Road:
The Hogsmill flows under the road which was cut through the grounds of Kingston Hall for a new route to Surbiton Station;
Raynsford’s three floor mineral water factory was built on the banks of the Hogsmill in the 1870s. When Raynsford died in 1885 it was bought by a dry cleaner and then run under Raynsford’s name until 1893. Sold in 1890s; Became Austin's jam factory which flourished and the firm moved in 1913. Later the building was bought by Bentalls who used it for soft furnishings manufacture but it was still called The Jam Factory.

Surbiton Crescent
On site of Surbiton Place Park
4, 4A, listed
13/15 Surbiton High School. Listed. It was founded in 1884 by Anglican clergy of the Church Schools Company and was the first of seven schools administered by them. They bought two Victorian houses and these have been added to over the years including, in 1994, a new Junior Girls' School and a Sixth Form Centre and more recently taking over the Assembly Hall.

Surbiton Hill Road
In 1862 a tumbling bay was built under the middle of the road for the sewage
1 Wagon and Horses. Built at the tollgate to provide for horses which had climbed the hill.
Assembly Rooms. This was built on the site of an old farm, latterly a posh house, called Elmers. This was demolished and a terracotta embellished hall and rooms built in 1889 by A. Mason. Sold to the High School in the 1990s. Listed.

Surbiton Road
Surbiton High School – buildings including a clock tower.

Villiers Avenue
Previously called Clay Lane

Villiers Road
The Hogsmill flows under the road. It was once called Oil Mill Lane
King Athelstan Primary School
Kingston Spiritualist Church
. Opened by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in 1927
104 Duke of Buckingham. Pub. Shield Above the door with the Hodgson's Kingston Brewery logo, with a 'K', a cask and three fishes. Also a cast iron 'No right of way' notice with 'HODGSONS' KINGSTON BREWERY Co., Ltd.' on it.
79 Old Mill House. This was Oil Mill House but seems to have been gentrified, late c 18, listed.
VP Winery site. Now housing. Joseph East had been a partner in a brewery in Church Street and in the 1860s opened a brewery here. In 1891 the premises was bought by Charringtons and it later became the winery for Vine Products Ltd. Wine was made from imported grape concentrate. Until the 1980s it was fortified to resemble sherry or port. Two Greek brothers Mitzotakis, came to London in 1900 to sell a surplus stock of Greek grapes and established the Crown Grape Wine Company in Fulham. , By 1908 they were producing a million bottles a year, and renamed the company Vine Products. They then moved to Kingston and were eventually taken over by Allied Breweries. VP used railway facilities to distribute the wine.
Kingston Refuse Depot on the site of the Chapel Mill

Wheatfield Way
New road built ion the 1990s
Kingston Museum built in 1904. The building was 1992 -1997


Sources
Stidder, Watermills of Surrey
Kingston Zodiac,
Field. Place Names of London,
Penguin Book of Surrey,
Pevsner, Surrey
Shipley, Kingston Through the Centuries. 
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
Clunn. Face of London
London Encyclopedia,

Monday, 27 December 2010

Thames Tributary Hogsmill - Norbiton

Thames Tributary Hogsmill
The Hogsmill continues to flow north west towards the Thames


Post to the west Kingston
Post to the south Berrylands


Archdale Close
Executive houses” built on the site of three buildings from The Mount primary school in 1993

Berrylands
Berry means ‘barrow’. From the medieval manor of ‘la Bergh’ that is 'the mound or hill'. This area was still shown as agricultural land on the Ordnance Survey map of 1905.

Bonner Hill Road
Named from Bonner Hill 1575, that is 'settlement of a man called Bana', from an Old English personal name and Old English ‘worth’, with the later addition of ‘hill’.
Kilrush Court, Hampton Road corner, marked as church on maps. Apparent conversion into flats of hall and corner building with a rounded corner.
Kingston Cemetery, The cemetery is about 32 acres and was opened in 1855. Burials include Thomas Hansard recorder of Parliamentary debates, A.C. Ranyard editor of Truth magazine and Dr Joseph Moloney, African explorer. Tomb of Dorothy Burton 1908 Listed monument by Richard Goulden of a Bronze statue of adolescent girl with uplifted face and arms.There are Symmetrical Gothic chapels, flanking the carriageways.
Crematorium added in 1952 with yellow stained glass and brick cloisters and walls

Hampden Road
Wanderings Farm was on the east side of the road with a 200 year old farmhouse demolished in 1959
Tyre Works. On site from 1959
Kings meadow day nurseryRecreation ground made up of the meadows of Wanderings Farm

Jack Goodchild Way
Kingstonian Football Club and Kingstonian moved here in 1989 and the ground was improved in 2001. AFC Wimbledon also based here

Kingston Road
Kingston Road allotmentsSearchlight youth and community centre.

Lower Marsh Lane
Berrylands Station. Built in 1933 Between Surbiton and New Maldon and now on South Western Rail. The station was funded by a group of developers in an area where farms were being taken for suburban housing. The station is now in a dead end surrounded by acres and acres of the direst sort of 1930s suburbia. On the other side of the tracks are sewage works, etc.
Sewage works. Initially Malden Works was opened in 1900 by Malden and Coombe Borough Council. Then In 1912 the North Surrey Joint Sewage Board built a new sewage works at Berrylands. It included a refuse destructor to raise steam to use in the works. Both works were modernised in 1939. At Berrylands sludge drying beds were constructed and in both works a railways were installed. There was a stretch of land between the two works and in 1931; the Hogsmill Valley Joint Sewage Board intended to build a third works. These plans were delayed by the Second World War and only built in 1953. This too had a railway. In 1961 the three works were amalgamated as the North Surrey Joint Sewage Board. And the railways connected with two bridges over the River. The works has since been upgraded and is one of Thames Water’s modern sewage treatment works
Surbiton cemetery opened in 1915 has about 11 acres with 1.5 acres set aside for future use. It includes some war graves.

Sunday, 26 December 2010

Thames Tributary – Hogsmill River - New Malden

Thames Tributary – Hogsmill River
The Hogsmill continues to flow north west towards the Thames and is joined in this area by the Tolworth Brook from the south.


Post to the west Berrylands

Berrylands Road
Housing of the mid c19 with stucco -trimmed terraces
52A. beautifil garden with Lawn and patio surrounded flowers. Natural wooded area under a copper beech and a pond, stream and waterfall.

Grand Avenue
Grand Avenue Primary School

Lynton Road
Laid out on land of Norbiton Park Farm. The farm had been owned by the Roupell family and subject to a great deal of scandal. In the 1880s the land was sold to London and Suburban Land Company who laid it out for housing.

Nelson Road
Laid out on land of Norbiton Park Farm

Selwyn Road
Laid out on land of Norbiton Park Farm

South Lane
Was previously known as Sow Lane

Thetford Road
Laid out on land of Norbiton Park Farm

Windsor Avenue
London School of Economics Sports Ground
Kings College Sports Ground

Thames Tributary – Tolworth Brook - Berrylands

Thames Tributary – Tolworth Brook
The Tolworth Brook continues to flow north towards the Hogsmill
TQ 19534 67846

Endless mid-20th century housing and little else apart from some nice walks down the line of the Tolworth Brook. Very little else except new housing on the site of a swimming pool

Post to the north Berrylands
Post to the east New Malden
Post to the south Tolworth

Burney Avenue
Clayhill Halls of Residence for Kingston University.

Chilton Drive
Berrylands Pub

Meldone Walk
Housing on the site of the Surbiton Lagoon, a popular open-air swimming pool. Built 1934. Closed 1980, derelict in 1988. The Architect was H T Mather. It had floodlights and a cascade filtration system

Pine Gardens
Christ Church Primary School

Raeburn Avenue
Public open space. The Tolworth Brook flows through this area

The Ridge
Development on the site of the estate of Daniel Nichols who, developed the Cafe Royal and had a large house in this area from the 1990s

The Ridings
Nichols Estate

The Roystons
Nichols Estate

Sources
London Borough of Kingston. Web site
London Lidos. Web site
Shipley, Kingston Through the Centuries

Thames Tributary – Tolworth Brook - Tolworth

Thames Tributary – Tolworth Brook
The brook continues to flow north and east towards the Hogsmill

Post to the west Tolworth
Post to the north Berrylands



 Edith Gardens
The Tolworth Brook runs parallel to the south of the road


Elgar Road
United Reform Church with Raeburn Hall

Ewell Road
Our Lady Immaculate R.C. 1956-8 by W. C. Mangan
Milestone. Near the junction with the Broadway against the wall of a service station, saying '3 Miles from Ewell' and 'Epsom 5'.
Red Lion pub. Demolished
Bus shelter – wooden and double sides. Opposite site of demolished pub

King Charles Road
Alexandra Recreation Ground. The Tolworth Brook runs through it.
Alexandra Millennium Green- this is an extension to the amenity on a site previously used for allotments. Trees planted and other landscaping done.


Northcote Avenue
The Tolworth Brook runs parallel to the south of the road

Pyne Road
Sparks Hall Scouts Hall This had been a mission hall for St.Matthew’s church but was replaced and sold in 1947

Tolworth Broadway
Tolworth Library

Friday, 24 December 2010

Thames Tributary – Tolworth Brook - Southborough

Thames Tributary – Tolworth Brook
The Tolworth Brook flows northwards towards the Hogsmill


Post to the west Long Ditton
Post to the east Tolworth
Post to the south Tolworth

Alpha Close
Surbiton Children’s Centre Nursery

Alpha Road
Surbiton Hill Brewery owned in 1856 by Mr. Vachell and later Mr. Cooper. sold and probably closed 1885. Site redeveloped

Britannia Road
Castle pub had cellars flood with sewage in the 19th

Browns Road
Newent House sheltered housing

Dennan Road
The Tolworth Brook crosses Dennan Road

Egmont Road
Called after Beethoven's overture to Goethe's play

Ellerton Road
The Tolworth Brook runs parallel to the road on its west side at the backs of the houses

Ewell Road
The Tolworth Brook runs under the road from near the pub on the north side
219 Fishponds House, this has a large garden with adjoining woodland overlooking a small lake.
Dysart School. Small special school
The Royal Oak. In 1871 John Keen rode five miles in 19 1/2 minutes on one of his own bicycles o a track behind the pub. He was a professional cyclist who manufactured his own light and fast machines - and developed the 'high bicycle' or 'ordinary'. His works was in this area.
Surbiton Police Station, in Victorian buildings originally St. Matthews School
Hollyfield Cars – next door to the old Cooper factory.
Mad Hatter Pub
Bank Buildings
Milbank House - remodelled

Hollyfield Road
British Legion
Fish Ponds Park
Seeboard Offices. This was the site of the Surbiton and District Electricity Co which was operated by Callender Cables. Generation ended in the mid 1930s but the site is still operated by the electricity industry
Cooper Car Co. HQ in building with curved front and factory run by Charles Cooper and his son John. Charles worked as a mechanic for the Avon Tyre and had his own workshop. In the 1920s he began repairing motor bikes. After the Second World War they began to work on cars which used motor cycle engines, building a car using a JAP engine. In 1952 they developed a single seater racer and the firm developed strongly from then on to become famous and a leader in the world of motor sport. In 1967 the building was leased to the police traffic unit as a garage, converting, among other cars, mini coopers.
NHS offices

Hook Road
Maypole pub
22 The Shrubbery, art deco flats

King Charles Crescent
Star Centre

King Charles Road
Tolworth Brook crosses it south of Alexandra Road
King Charles Centre Training for Young Women. This was Hollyfield School where Eric Clapton was a pupil

Kingsdowne Road
Woodbury 1880s house by Norman Shaw

Langley Avenue
Called after Sarah Langley owner of Southborough house
6 house of 1892 by R. P. Whellock,
12 house of 1893 by Philip Wilkinson,
14 house of 1893 by Philip Wilkinson,

Langley Road.
Called after Sarah Langley owner of Southborough House
St.Matthews Church of England Primary School. Built to replace the Victorian building in Ewell Road

Oakhill Crescent
Baptist church

Penners Gardens
New housing on the ste of the Kingston Eye Hospital. Following bombing of the Royal Eye Hospital in Southwark 1941, wards had to be closed. 'Southborough', a mid 19th century Tudorbethan villa was acquired for the in-patients. It then developed into a hospital.
Thought to be the site of Southborough Farm.

School Lane
Tolworth Nursery School

Southborough
Residential district developed from the late 19th. Named after Southborough House (built 1808), which is marked as Southborough Park in 1876. This apparently takes its name from nearby Borrow Farm on the earlier map of 1819, which represents the medieval manor of la Bergh 1241, 'the mound or hill',

St.Matthew's Avenue
St. Matthew. Dates from 1875 and was funded by, William Matthew Coulthurst, partner of Coutts Bank who also said that the church was to be and to remain evangelical. It was designed by C. L. Luck but remodelled in 1976, By Melhuish & Anderson.. It is a big stone church with a tall stone spire.
Vicarage originally also built by Coulthurst but demolished and rebuilt in 1939.

Upper Brighton road
Lodge to Southborough, used as the Eye Hospital

Thursday, 23 December 2010

Thames Tributary Tolworth Brook - Tolworth

Thames Tributary Tolworth Brook
The Tolworth Brook rises near the County border and flows north and east towards the Hogsmill


Post to the west Long Ditton
Post to the north Tolworth




Brook Road
The Tolworth Brook enters the playing field at the rear of the road to the north

Hook Junction
Where the Leatherhead and Dorking road leaves the Guildford road. Hook underpass was one of the earliest built in Britain. 1960. Said to be a model of it in the science museum

Hook Road
Southborough High School. Boys’ secondary school with a business specialism, founded in the 1960s.
205 GMB Trade Union Southern Region HQ

Hook Rise North
'Ace of Spades’. This was the site of 'Ace of Spades Roadhouse and Swimming Pool' on the north-west corner of the Kingston by-pass. This was a pioneer roadhouse, with meals served at any time in a restaurant with seating for 700 to 800, dancing until 3 am, swimming pool a miniature golf course, polo ground, riding school, and an air strip. The pub was eventually burnt down.
Cap in Hand. Wetherspoon’s pub at the Ace of Spades junction. Conservatory, festivals and Itchen Valley beers.

Hook Rise South
Gala Cosmetics factory site
Andre Rubber. They bonded rubber to metal and made components for cars, docks, armoured fighting vehicles, hospitals, warships and diving helmets. Their site is now Hook Rise South Industrial Park.
HRG - car company founded by E.A.Halford, G.H.Robins and H.R.Godfrey in 1936. The intention was to make vintage style sports cars with no frills. They used a Meadows 4ED engine and as a two seater it sold for £395. in 1938 they were the highest placed British car at Le Mans. In 1939 they began to use Singer engines. After the war they move to a slightly different site on this same road. After the Second World War they produced the Aerodynamic but only 31 were built. The firm won many European events and the original HRG continued untilk 1956 with a Vauxhall engine and an alumninium body. They continued with general engineering until 1966 when they went into liquidation. The buildings were sold to Gala and demolished

Fullers Way
Tolworth Girls School Three types of school architecture of the 20th:
Recreation Centre with sports and arts facilities housed in a plastic-clad rectangle by Kingston Architect's Department, 1974-8.

Kent Road
The Tolworth Brook runs parallel to the east side of the road

Red Lion Road
Red Lion Business Park site of a brick factory.
Recreation ground - clay extraction resulted in water -filled pit used for landfill for material removed from bomb-sites after the Blitz. This land has been reclaimed for sports. It was used by the Civil Defence Corps as a training site with a full-size mock-up of a bomb-damaged housing estate.

Thornhill Road
The Tolworth Brook crosses under the road
Tolworth Road
The Tolworth Brook crosses under the road

Vale Road
The Tolworth Brook runs alongside it

Waterside Close
The Tolworth Brook passes under the road and alongside it

The Tolworth Brook

http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/2009/09/london-surrey-boundary-hook.html

http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/2009/09/londonsurrey-border-hooklong-ditton.html

Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Thames Tributary Hogsmill -Old Malden

Thames Tributary Hogsmill
The Hogsmill continues to flow west to the Thames


Post to the east Worcester Park
Post to the south Worcester Park

Church Road
The Saxon description 'Mael Dune' means ‘Cross on the hill’ and refers to the slope down to the Hogsmill. Maldon Manor became the property of Walter de Merton, from Merton Priory in 1640, and later Chancellor of England. He established Merton College at Oxford in 1264, and at first it was administered from here. Elizabeth took it over in the 1580 to give it to the Earl of Arundel in exchange for Nonsuch. It was returned to Merton College in 1627 following an appeal to the House of Lords.
Plough Green. Traditional type village green
Plough Inn. 16th century. Core pre-reformation but looks entirely 20th. Listed.
Duck pond as part of Plough Green.
Manor House. A red brick, Queen Anne style, building of c. 1700.
Manor Farm. With the date 1855 worked into the gable in coloured bricks
Library
Old cottages owned by Merton College
The Lodge, weatherboarded
Woodthorpe an stunning early modern house of c. 1935 Art deco house
St.John the Baptist. The church overlooks the Hogsmill. It is of Saxon origin and probably has original 14th flint work at the east end. The commissioners for Edward VI took away every thing that could be moved in 1553.Since its return in 1627 the living of St John's and the freehold of much of the surrounding land is still held by Merton College. The nave and tower date from 1610. Inside is a stone to say the church was built at the expense of John Goode f 1627 who 'ecclesiam, of penitus collapsam ab imis fundamentis restituit'. There is also a stone saying ‘Here stood the Lords Table on Maeldune the hollow of the cross’
Churchyard with ancient yews
Lychgate.

Maldon Road
Manor Park. Big local park. ASM Tennis Centre on site,
Railway Bridge. Constructed of plate steel but with concrete cladding as a way to reduce maintenance.

Manor Drive North
Maldon Manor Station. 1936. Between Tolworth and Motspur Park on South Western Rail. It has kept much of its original appearance although there are no longer waiting rooms. All the stations on this line used concrete influenced by the design of stations on the underground but to a lower standard and have not weathered well. It was originally in Art Deco yellow brick and the platforms have ‘Chisarc’ cantilevered concrete canopies with portholes. At street level there was an originally car park, toilets, parcels office and shops. There were subways, stairs a separate parcels ramp - Waiting rooms had furniture and a stove.
Manor pub. A neo-Georgian pub on a corner site built in the 1930s. There is a Coat of arms of Hodgson’s brewery above three of the doors. It was supposed to be on the A3 but the pub was built and then the route was changed so it’s in the middle of a housing estate instead.

Sheephouse Way
Malden Manor Primary School
Railway Line
Line from Motspur Park to Chessington built in 1936. Some steep gradients on this stretch.

Thames Tributary Bonesgate Stream - Chessington

Thames Tributary Bonesgate Stream
The Bonesgate continues to flow north east towards the Hogsmill

TQ 18198 63466

Suburban area of largely local authority housing around an older village area. Some nice open space


Post to the east Bonesgate
Post to the west Chessington
Post to the south Horton

 Bonesgate Open Space

This is on the east bank of the stream and is a Local Nature Reserve. The banks on both sides have oak woodland with hazel and blackthorn scrub overshadowing the stream

Chessington
Chessington is listed In the Domesday Book and is thought to mean – ‘the hill of a man named Cessa’. It remained a village until after the First World War.

Church Lane
Church Fields Recreation ground
Gosbury Hall at the junction with Stokesby Road.
Copt Gilders Hall this was a farm at the junction with Stokesby Road.
St.Mary’s Community Hall
British Legion Club

Garrison Lane
St Mary the Virgin. The old village church in the middle of a 20th housing estate, it originally stood by a field path and it is on raised ground. It is listed in Merton Priory records from 1174 and has a 12th century timber nave. It is built in flint, with a straight bell-turret with shingled broach-spire restored by Hesketh in, 1854. There is stained glass in the aisle window by Morris & Co., 1918. On the Kingston Zodiac it is part of the Lion's penis – there are lions' heads in the west window. Tablet to Dr Crisp with an inscription by Fanny Burney's father. In the chancel is a 15th Nottingham alabaster sculpture of the Annunciation, discovered during a restoration.

Green Lane
On the Kingston Zodiac the land represents part of the Lion's hind leg

Reynolds Avenue
Chessington Hall. The road covers the area of the old hall. The hall; was built in the early 16th. Fanny Burney stayed there and ‘Cecilia’ her second novel, was partly written here in 1782. It was the home of, Dr Samuel Crisp, when 'no road, not even a sheep walk, connected his lonely dwelling with the abodes of men. It was rebuilt in 1832 and demolished in 1965.  Council housing was built in the grounds in the 1950s.

Sources
Kingston Zodiac
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
St.Mary the Virgin. Web site

Tuesday, 21 December 2010

Thames Tributary Horton Stream - Horton

Thames Tributary Horton StreamThe Horton Stream rises in this area and flows northwards to the Hogsmill
Lamberts Stream joins the Horton Stream


Post to the west Horton
Post to the north Castle Hill

Cavendish Walk
Water Tower of Horton Hospital. 1912

Chantilly Way
This was Long Grove Road until it was regenerated

Horton Lane
Horton Country Park - This is basically on the site to the west of Long Grove Hospital. The Horton Stream flows through this area.Horton Railway - Paths have been laid on the railway embankments and there are two buffer stops at the car park exit in the Country Park
Lambert's Mead and Lambert's Wood.
The Orchard. Part of an orchard which belonged to Long Grove Hospital. Thought to have been planted when the hospital was built in 1907. It includes pear trees of a variety known as Bellesime D'Hiver, a 17th French cooking pear. Lambert’s stream rises in this area.
Concrete area which is the remains of the piggery of Long Grove Hospital
Horton Park Children’s Farm. This was Long Grove Farm up to 1973 and belonged to the hospital. It supplied the hospital with meat, milk, vegetables and therapy for patients
Forge. Opened in 1990 demonstrating the production of ornamental ironwork. It uses gas and arc welding but there is also a traditional fire and a variety of tools including a pneumatic hammer. Farriers visit but bring their own portable hearths,
David Lloyd Leisure Centre. This is in the Water Pumping Station and Electric Light Works which was built by the LCC under Clifford Smith in 1901. Here, there was a 500ft deep borehole, a well, water pumps and a roof-mounted 35,000 gallon water storage tank. The water pumps were made by Robert Warner & Co, of Walton on the Naze and Chlorination was by a Chloronome from the Paterson Engineering Company of London. Boilers provided steam to drive dynamos which generated a power supply to the hospitals until replaced by an ac supply from the grid – the boiler, chimney and generators have all gone. The buildings were later used a workshop for patients employed in making brushes and brooms called Sherwood House. Plant and coal was supplied by the railway,
Engine Shed. The Horton Light Railway Engine shed was here and was bombed in the Second World War.

Clarendon Park
Clarendon Park housing development. The development was started in 1998 and is built on the site of the former Long Grove Hospital complex
Long Grove Hospital . Built as Long Grove Asylum. Built as a mental hospital 1903-7. Built by Charles Wall and Foster & Dicksee, it was the largest of the group. It was formally opened on 15 June 1907, eventually to care for 2,209 residents. Transferred from Metropolitan Asylums Board to London County Council. But is now closed.
Long Grove Light Railway. Built as the result of complaints from local residents during the building of Manor, Horton, St Ebba's and Long Grove hospitals. Contractors Foster & Dicksee constructed a standard-gauge light railway to bring in materials to build Long Grove Hospital. A section from Hook Road which turned south to enter Long Grove was opened in 1905 and it operated until 1907 when Long Grove was completed and it was closed and dismantled. The LCC then bought the route and reopened it in 1911- 1912 with the route extended to the boiler house at the water pumping station and electric light works, where there was also an engine shed. It was re-opened as the Horton Light Railway in 1913. It stopped working in 1947 and the track and rolling stock were sold off by 1950 for £8,371. Remains can be seen and the track beds and embankments form footpaths in Horton Country Park.

Pelman Way
Horton Chapel. This was the chapel for Horton Hospital, listed Grade II


http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/2009/09/londonsurrey-boundary-castle-hill.html

http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/2010/12/thames-tributary-hogsmill-west-ewell.html

Thames Tributary Hogsmill - West Ewell

Thames Tributary Hogsmill
The Hogsmill continues to flow north and west to the Thames
The Horton stream flows north towards the Hogsmill


Post to the north Hogsmill and Bonesgate
Post to the west Castle Hill
Post to the east Ewell

Chessington Close
Playing field. The Horton stream runs across it flowing north
The Horton Stream runs parallel to it



Chessington Road
This was once known as Marsh Lane because it ran to Ewell Marsh
The Horton Stream passes under the road flowing north towards the Hogsmill. West Ewell Social Club was originally a Mission Room. It has a rounded front to the road.

Church Road
All Saints Church. Built in the 1890s lack of money meant the building was smaller than intended and it was enlarged in 1975.
Church Hall. Known as the Webber Hall it was built following fund raising by the congregation. The previous hall was an old army hut from 1919 which had been taken as a British Restaurant in the Second World War and later became part of a school
Vicarage. Built in 1968 on land known as Church Meadow.
War Memorial. In 1917 a shrine was put up in 1917 to which names were added as men were lost. It was moved in 1975.

Crosslands
Once called Bridge Road, said to have been after a local family of landowners.

Danetree Road
Danetree school was built as the Ewell County Secondary School, becoming Danetree County Middle School by 1975. It now has secondary and primary schools on site.

Hogsmill Open Space.
The river was straightened in the 1950's,
Stepping stones.
Packhorse bridge. This is said to have carry a road to Kingston from Ewell. It is steeply humped in 18th but isolated in a plantation. It crossed the Ewell Court Stream, tributary of the Hogsmill River.
An area for swimming was at one time built into the riverbank by the owners of Ewell Court house
A cattle crossing on the river in the Crosslands area

Hook Road
The Horton Light Railway was originally a contractor’s railway built in 1904 by Forster and Dicksee to build Long Grove Asylum. It ran parallel to the road as far as Hook Road entering the complex near the junction with Horton Road. In 1905 a lady was killed on the Hook Road crossing by one of the locomotives, Puffing Billy. The LCC took the railway over in 1909 and used if to carry coal for the hospital boilers. They built an under bridge at Hook Road north of the original crossing. This cutting was filled in but the brick bridge piers remained in place for some time.
Hook Road Arena. A large open space occasionally used for public events.

King George’s Field
Also known as Poole Road Recreation Ground and before that as Ewell Court Recreation Ground. It cost £5,000 in 1935. It is one of a large number of fields set up as memorials to George V and there is a plaque on site to that effect.
The Harrier centre. This is a small sports centre which was opened in 2000 as part of the upgrade of an existing running track used by the Epsom and Ewell Harriers. It had been upgraded in 1963 and again in 1995. The existing pavilion was replaced by the new centre.
Sandstone edge runner mounted as a memorial to a local politician, Alderman Smith. Said to be from the gunpowder mill.
Line of oak trees is a boundary of farm fields which were part of pastures.

Lansdowne Road
23 West Ewell Evangelical church. Opened 1932

Shawford Road
Said to be remains of the gunpowder mill on the riverside in this area until the 1950s

Monday, 20 December 2010

Thames Tributary - Hogsmill - Ewell Court

Thames Tributary Hogsmill
The Hogsmill flows north west towards Kingston and Thames, In this section it is joined by the Green Lanes Stream and the Ewell Court stream

The Green Lanes Stream flows north to join the Hogsmill
The Ewell Court Stream flows south west to join the Hogsmill. Its route between here and a number of springs in the Nonsuch area is unclear.


Post to the west West Ewell
Post to the east Nonsuch
Post to the south Ewell

Eastcroft
The Green Lanes Stream flows north under the road

Green Lanes
The Green Lanes Stream flows north between the two sections of the road

Hogsmill
Weir – water flow has decreased since the 18th and could no longer drive mill wheels. There was a wider area near the weir where it was possible to fish and swim –known locally as the "wivies".. It included a sand bank and grass.

Kingston Road
66 Ewell forge. This was probably here more than 300 years or longer,. perhaps longer. Members of Ralph family took it over from a Mr. Reddit in 1912. It provides the services of both farrier and blacksmith and ornamental work were also produced. There were originally two fires with traditional bellows but later one, with an electrically-powered -air blower. 18th. Rendered. Extensions partly weather boarded,
72 and 74 18th. Brown brick.
76 18th early 19th. Red brick.
78 Eight Bells pub. Partly a toll house. Large, Edwardian pub open plan with a central bar, and features the stone fireplace of the original neighbouring cottage.
266a Milestone for the London Road turnpike 1755. on one side is "Reigate 10", on another "1 mile to Ewell", and on another "Kingston 4". 66
307 St.Clement RC 1962
Lower Mill. The 1670 brick mill house. From the mid-17th it was a flour mill then paper and now offices. It was last owned by the Hendersons. An overhead conveyor connected the mill buildings with a loading stage at LSWR railway line. it ceased working in 1929, and was leased to Turnell and Wainwright who made garden furniture here. The mill became derelict and was eventually burnt down destroyed in 1938. The house was sold to Sutton and District Water Company. But the site has been redeveloped, and the Mill House restored
Rembrandt Cinema. This was between Stoneleigh Park Road and the railway. It opened in 1938 as The Rembrandt Cinema, with a large auditorium seating 1500,. It was Originally owned by Mrs. F Thompson, who also owned the Cinema Royal in Epsom, in early 1943 it was bought by Associated British Cinemas who incorporated Cinemascope facilities in the 1950s and, in 1971, converted it into two cinemas with auditoria of 600 and 150 seats. In 1986 it passed to Cannon Cinemas Ltd, in 1993 to MGM, and in 1996 once again to ABC. Now demolished for housing
Turnpike by passed in 1931

Northcroft Road
Chamber Mead This is land by the river. In the 19th it was known as Upper and Lower Marsh
Gunpowder Mill Site. A gunpowder mill here was licensed in 1588-and established on a riverside site westwards of here, in 1754 it was operated by Alexander Bridges and his partner Jonathan Eade. It was operated by the Bridges family until 1861 when it was leased to John Carr Sharpe and partners and it continued until 1875. It appears to have been an extensive site. The mill closed following explosions in 1875. The side has been landscaped and the remains have gone. Some millstones are thought to have gone to the Beddington snuff mill., until 1875 demolished apart from a 2m length of wall foundation and a section of flue or drain. Site now a public park.
The Corning house used remained after the mill closed and was used to house equipment generate electricity for Ewell Court. Some remains of it are said to be found round the weirs
Black Cottages stood here from the 1870s. They were built for the mill workers but in the 1930’s were replaced by semi-detached houses in Northcroft Road

Lakehurst Road
Ewell Manor House was south of the current Library, It was called Worth Court, and was replaced by Ewell Court Farm
Ewell Court house. Mainly built in 1879, architect J Alick Thomas for John Henry Bridges on his marriage to Edith Tritton. Parts of a 1690 house called Avenue House remain in the kitchen wing.. It is a Jacobean style house built of red brick with tall brick chimneystacks. It had good quality internal joinery, , and a fairly rare fern grotto. It was the home of operators of the powder mills.
Ewell Court House, Library
Stone raised flowerbed in the grounds,. In the centre is an elaborate bulbous stone urn
Ewell Court Gardens
Clinic
Lake
Ewell Court Nursery and Team Room
Shortcroft Road
London Road Recreation ground

Sources
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey
Surrey Industrial Archaeology
Pevsner. Surrey
Haselfoot. Batsford Book of Industrial Archaeology

Sunday, 19 December 2010

Thames Tributary - Ewell Court Stream - Nonsuch

http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/2009/09/londonsurrey-boundary-nonsuch.html

Thames Tributary – Ewell Court Stream
The Ewell Court Stream rises in this area and flows west towards the Hogsmill


Post to the north Stoneleigh
Post to the west Ewell
Post to the Nonsuch
Post to the south Ewell East

Blue Gates
Cherry Orchard Nursery site. Brick agricultural building. Intention to turn this into an environmental and nature area. Lots of lizards.
14th Ewell (Nonsuch) Scout Hall


Ewell Bypass

Organ crossroads
Organ and Dragon pub.

London Road
Ewell United Reform Church
79 - 85 Mid 19th Weather boarded building.
9 Flint Cottage Mid 19th flint building,
Ivy Cottage. Late 18th building
Woodgate. Early 19th building
Toll Gate. There was a toll gate on the London to Horsham turnpike near 'Woodgate'.

Nonsuch Park
Nonsuch Park. Western Section only. This is part of the area of the Little Park of 71acres. The Kingston Zodiac puts forward the idea that the entire park is the body of the Virgin and that her face is clearly outlined in the contours of the Park. Thus in the London Road section west of the Briarwood Road junction- her nose is a copse, eye is the pond,etc (I must admit to have struggled with this). ‘Nonsuch’ itself means ‘incomparable’. The area was enclosed in 1538 for Nonsuch Palace - Henry VIII intended it, along with Oatlands, as hunting lodges in his new hunting estate based on Hampton Court... In 1682 Barbara Castlemain sold the land and it was thus disemparked and became farmland. In the 1930s the land was purchased by four councils and the title deeds are held in trust by Surrey County Council. The westernmost area of the park bordering on the Ewell by Pass was until recently covered by Cherry Orchard Farm, subsequently Cherry Orchard Nursery,
Nonsuch Palace. The Palace with its gardens lay at the heart of the Little Park – now slightly to the north of The Avenue at the western end of the park. Henry VIII began to build the Palace on in 1538, on the 29th anniversary of his accession. The site was that of the village of Cuddington, with church and manor house which were cleared away. It has been suggested that the site was chosen as a particularly healthy one and near an area of springs and medicinal waters. The structure was complete by January 1541, but the exterior decorations seen as the purpose in its creation, were still not finished five years later. The walls were to be decorated to celebrate the birth in 1537 of Prince Edward - in the inner court designed to show the young prince his duties and possible pitfalls. At the top were statues of 32 Roman emperors, and then on the King’s side the 16 gods of antiquity, on the Queen's side, 16 goddesses. Below the gods were 16 Labours of Hercules – and below the goddesses the Seven Liberal Arts and the Nine Virtues. In the centre of the court exactly on the site of the demolished Cuddington church was a tall fountain and high on the south wall King Henry VIII treading on a holding a sceptre, with Prince Edward by his side. They were done in stucco and carved slate and imitated work done at Fontainebleau, by Francis I. Nothing like this had ever been seen in England – this was work of the highest quality, on a vast scale, celebrating the Tudor dynasty, Nonsuch was to be ‘a non-pareil’ – ‘a palace without equal’, as Gothic art and architecture were being replaced by the styles and ideas of the Renaissance. By 1545 the work had cost - half as much again as had been spent at Hampton Court in the same period. Henry died in 1547, while the palace was still unfinished and it was completed by Henry Fitzalan, 12th Earl of Arundel who bought it from the Crown in 1555. Elizabeth regained it in 1592 and in 1670, Charles II gave it to Barbara Villiers, demolished it in 1682. Three stones in the park mark the site but there are bricks in the walls of local buildings.
Nonsuch Palace Remains. The ground rises over the site of the outer gatehouse and north range of the Palace. There are three granite pillar markers – one for the site of the outer gatehouse, the second fir the inner gatehouse, and the third for the central bay of the south front. The area of the palace is shown a mown strip.
Queen Elizabeth's elm stump. – a very small mound at a site in front of the Kitchen Court marking the site where the Queen is said to have stood to shoot at deer. It was burnt down in 1902.
Privy Garden. A bollard marks the site of the Privy Garden which was south of the Palace It was behind a 14 ft brick wall with chalk foundations and Watson. The gardens would have been designed to be seen from above and there were ‘knot garden; beds as though they were embroidered. Among them were small animals probably made of stone. There were walks with branches interlaced overhead - roses, vines and honeysuckle and trellis against the walls. There were seats and twelve wooden arbours. There was a on a mound, set inside two circles of grass, round it were lilac trees. Here was the Venus Fountain with water from the breasts and the 'Falcon Perches' and pyramids which were built by Henry Fitzalan and his son-in-law John, Lord Lumley, after 1556. It was behind the palace the walls of which were covered with figures from classical mythology and there were huge corner towers. Lilacs said to have been planted by Walter Raleigh and the oldest in England. There was a rock with water pouring into a basin. Water for these features was provided by a spring to the south of the palace and brought to it by aqueduct, A Pavilion for the Queen to sit in.
Maze a Labyrinth with hedges near the Privy Garden,
Castlemain Lodge. Lodge named for Barbara Castlemaine. . Near the palace site.
Wilderness. At Bollard 3 is a flat open space which is the site of the Wilderness. This was not untamed –in fact it was carefully tended woodland with sanded walks, menageries of stone animals, aviaries under topiaried trees. There were tree-lined walks, the trees trimmed to form canopies. There were trees for shade and fruit: apple trees, shrubs, evergreens, ferns, vines.'
Grove of Diana. At the far end of the Wilderness, as the gro8nd rises was the Grove of Diana which was Dedicated to the goddess, this included a fountain, a grotto, a temple, and an archway The story of Aceton in verses in Latin with English translations, were fixed to the walls. It was built 1559 -1580 by Henry Fitzalan. It has been suggested that this site may have had some connection with the Nonsuch Pottery and/.or the grotto remains in Ewell Castle grounds.
Diana’s dyke. A ditch thought to be contemporary to the Palace. It may have been a sump in times of flood. A seasonal bourne is said to have risen from a pit in the western section of the park and this could be the site of that. It has a regular form and alignment which means it might have been a garden canal or a 16th bathing pool. The Kingston Zodiac thinks it might have something to do with the Virgin, shows she's a huntress. Did Boadiccea make a stand here?
London Road PlantationCuddington church. Demolished for Nonsuch Palace

The Glade
Stoneleigh Baptist Church