Saturday, 22 January 2011

Thames Tributary Bents Brook - Mid Holmwood

Thames Tributary Bents Brook
Bents Brook flows north east to Tanners Brook and the River Mole


Post to the north North Holmwood

Horsham Road
In 1755 the Horsham to Epsom turnpike was built here across common land. Past the site of the Old Nags head it followed the line of the current Horsham Road. In the 1820s the turnpike was further diverted to the west.
Forge Works
Red Chilli, previously Little Chef
Priory Cottage 18th Listed Grade II
The Norfolk Arms built c1830 and closed 1969. Now in residential use.
Hut to the rear of the pub was used by the Ancient Order of Foresters
Solway House. Walking stick factory run by Henry Isemonger who was also minster of the Promised Land Chapel which was in the grounds of his house. The factory closed in 1942
Norfolk Garage. Built by the pub landlord for a cartage business. Said to be the site of a pond into which wood shavings from the walking stick factory were thrown.
Holmwood Independent Chapel. Now housing
The Old Nag's Head and September Cottages. Late 17th cottages. The Old Nag's Head became an inn in the late 18th when the turnpike road was built but closed in the 1820s when the turnpike was diverted. It is now in residential use.
Pump

Redlands Lane
Redlands Farm. 16th farmhouse with 16th barns, and later granary and dairy. During the 18th it was part of the Bury Hill estate.

Stane Street
The line of the Roman road runs to the west of the present main Horsham Road

No comments: