Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Thames Tributary Gad Brook - Brockham Park

Thames Tributary Gad Brook
The Gad Brook continues to flow north east towards the Mole

TQ 20361 47545

Wooded and residential area south of Brockham, with an interesting and important research past

Post to the south Bunce Common
Post to the east Dawes Green

Gadbrook Road
Hall Farm. This area is now a trading estate
Barn – once roofed with hazel thatch

Lazell Gardens
H.Lazell set up the research facility here after the Second World War

Middle Street
Coleshill farm. Listed

Rykens Lane
Named for Paul Rykens, ex-Chair of Unilever and founder of the Bilderberg Group.
Brockham Park Research Laboratories. In 1945, the park was acquired by Beecham Research Laboratories Ltd. Beecham developed penicillin derivatives: pheneticillin, meticillin and later Ampiclox. In 1959 Beecham scientists at Brockham discovered the penicillin nucleus, which allowed the synthesis of a number of new semisynthetic penicillins. Beecham then marketed Broxil followed shortly by Celbenin which is active against Staphylococcus aureus.
Shop - originally a farmhouse, later used as a house and bailiff's office, and later workshop and shop. Built c1600, and extended in the early 19th. Timber-framed building tile hanging to first floor and one brick chimneystack. originally this as a lobby-entrance house. There is a verandah with a tiled roof on painted wooden supports plus a porch. There is also a false window and Inside are beams and a chimneystack which has been boxed in.

Sources
Brickham History. Web site
Brockham Park. Wikipedia. Web site
Dorking Museum. Web site
Industrial Archaeology of the Mole Valley.
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey

No comments: