Saturday, 1 January 2011

Thames Tributary Mole - Lonesome Lane

Thames Tributary Mole
The Mole, which has risen some miles to the south, now flows northwards into the area.
The Mole is joined by the Salfords Stream flowing from the east


Post to the north Lonesome Lane
Post to the west Sidlow

Lonesome Lane
The road bridge over Salfords Stream.
Lonesome Farm House. Late 16th with 18th front and 20th rear extension to rear. Timber framed with whitewashed brick cladding to front; and brick infill
Weir in the Salfords Stream
Kinnersley Manor Farm. North and east wings of a mansion house, surviving parts of a mansion of 1579 built by John More, altered in the 18th and 19th. Timberramed building with plaster infill. The other two wings were pulled down in the late 19th. Inside are Reigate stone fireplaces
Fulling mill on the Salford's Stream. This gave employment to the local poor. Brick footings can be seen.

Sources
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey
British Listed Buildings web site

No comments: