Thames Tributary – Nutfield Brook
The brook rises in this area and flows south and west to join the Salfords Stream
TQ 31386 50607
Countryside area where the M23 to Brighton crosses the A25 as it approaches Bletchingly village. In the North Downs above are stone mines - here is a sand mine - and military installations.
Post to the south Coopers Hill Road
Cottages 19th Built by English and &Son,
Capenor. Sand mine. There was a mine here during the occupation of Mr Hudson of what is now Robert Denholm House in 1896. It was worked from 1992-1993. in 1962 an experimental mine was opened by Laporte, but the three 300ft headings They installed an experimental mine here that was unsuccessful because the geological strata was insufficiently robust and it was abandoned in 1964.
Bridge over the M23 between Nutfield and Bletchingley A concrete and steel bridge taking the A25 over what may be the deepest motorway cutting in the country. A fuller's earth deposit was uncovered during construction.
Bottery's Windmill. There is a reference to a windmill here was early as 1262 and here in 1680 – a post mill on site in the mid 18th demolished in 1929. . It was on the parish boundary between Nutfield and Bletchingley, on private ground is a Derbyshire peak millstone on inscribed, Here Stood Boterys Windmill From About 1300 To 1929 Ad. Stopped Working In 1888.
The Rectory. Georgian. Grade II listed.
Robert Denholm House. Originally called ‘Capenor’ built of brick in 1887, for James Hudson the owner of Hudson's Soap, along with the outbuildings. It was later home to German banker W.Brandt, The house was taken over in the Second World War by the Royal Canadian Airforce and in the 1950s used by Laporte Industries Ltd (aka Fullers’ Earth Union Ltd). In 1964 it became the headquarters of the National Sunday School Union (aka National Christian Education Council) who renamed it after their General Secretary, Robert Denholm. It is now offices and a conference center. The house contains original decorative ironwork, coloured glass and moulded ceilings.
Lodge, The Stables and Coach House, and the Baliff's House. All now in separate private ownership
This is a new road built as an improvement to the A25. There was said to be a cross of this name near the castle on the main road in the 16th
An older house called Capenor stood east of what is now Robert Denholm House. The name Capenor may mean look out place" or” hill slope, flat topped hill”
The M23 was originally conceived to connect with motorways in London but once built it ended at Hooley and at the other end at Pease Pottage. In 1993 it was upgraded to Brighton to motorway standards and from the start it had incorporated Gatwick Airport in the motorway network
Royal Observer Corps Post. These small posts were there to watch for enemy air-craft and report to a central control so that their courses across southern England could be plotted in the Second World War. There was one here where there are extensive views to the south. Nothing remains
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Industrial Archaelogy of Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Subterranea Brittanica. Web site