Friday, 21 January 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Betchworth

Thames Tributary River Mole
The River Mole continues to flow north west and then turns south. It continues to be very convoluted

TQ 21121 49712 

Pretty Surrey village with big houses, church and other facilities.

Post to the west Brockham
Post to the east Wonham

Church Street
St.Michael’s Church. It closes the vista at the end of the village street. It is pre-conquest with Saxon mouldings and is dedicated to St.Michael who slew the beast in the Book of Revelation – and was thus seen as a protective dedication by the herdsmen who would have used the church. It was restored in 1850. Monuments: Brass to Thomas Morsted, erected by Henry V's chief medical officer at Agincourt; tablet to Henry Goulburn, a member of Peel's cabinet; and Sir Benjamin Brodie, the doctor, who attended three Sovereigns and Sir Robert Peel. The north transept is called the Goulburn Chapel. Listed Grade II
Churchyard. It is east/west bisected by a right-of-way, which passes through an ornamental stone archway. War memorial cross from the First World War by Leonard Martin, F.R.I.B.A. and erected in 1920. An additional eight names record those who died in the Second World War. Listed Grade II
Priest's Cottage within the boundaries of the churchyard
Forge within the boundaries of the churchyard. A forge has operated here since the 17th- by the Weller family until the early 20th and then by the Stovells. Timber frame with brick infilling and plain tiled roof.
1-3 House 16th with 17th extensions. Timber framed with whitewashed brick infilling over whitewashed brick cladding
The White House. Senior and Carmichael. Furniture workshop. When a new vicarage was built in 1881, a local builder, Daniel Debenham, took over the old one along with the yard. In 1897 a Reigate builder, J King, built this workshop which was moved here from Reigate. In the 1920s it was used by George Cummins and Son who built many local of houses.
4 Bakery from the early 19th century until the mid 20th century. The bakehouse contained a large oven fired by faggots.
The Gardens. Cottage. 17th Timber frame with colour washed brick infilling,
Vicarage. House, now divided into four. Built 1715 by the Revd. Hugh Griffiths, Red brick, once colour washed. Listed grade II
Hamilton room – community space
Church barn. Painted black. 7 bays. Converted to housing.
Barn- 2 bays built of re-used timber
Ruined barn used as a garage

The Street
Acorns school Betchworth base aka North Downs Primary School
Home Farm, House 17th Timber framed, clad in whitewashed brick and tile hung on first floor Listed Grade II
Betchworth House. Domestic Georgian. Plaque 1675 but probably later. Added to 18th. Built for by the Freeman family. Red brick cladding and stucco at the rear. Mersham stone door surround approached up steps with iron hand-rail and cellar entrance
Gateway to Betchworth house gardens. 18th Painted brick on plinths. Side pedestrian entrances and main gates were between pineapple-topped gate piers, now gone.
Gardens. by Repton and considered to be an important example of his work
Stable block. Listed Grade II Mid 18th. Red brick L-shaped plan to with the block connected by a wall along the east side to the northern range, gardens in between. Single storey shed links the stables to the east wall. The eastern wall connecting the blocks is a notable feature of the Village Street.
Dolphin. Pub c.1700 opposite the forge. A brew house stood in what is now the car park with a horse-operated pump. Beer and cider were made here until 1926. Originally a house of whitewashed brick with plain tiled mansard roof
Old Mill. Cottage genuine 16th Timber framed, clad in whitewashed roughcast with whitewashed rubble stone. Two storeys with first floor jettied on joist ends
Mill - a fulling mill is listed here in 1299, and land for a mill mentioned in 1634
Dillon Cottage. Painted brick with plain tiled roof and tile hung gable end to right.
Fire Engine House. The village fire engine used to be kept in the `building facing the doors of the forge. The appliance, operated by a volunteer crew, contained hoses and a hand-worked pump.
Betchworth Bridge. This three-arched bridge, which carries The Street over the Mole, was built in 1842 and refurbished by Surrey County Council in 1993. The northern approach has the footway on a raised causeway in case of flooding
4/23 Morden Grange Cottages. Listed Grade II. House, 17th Timber framed, clad in 19th brick below and club tile hanging above,
The Old House. Direct early 18th building. Former service building Red and brown brick with plain-tiled roof. Listed Grade II

Snowershill
Fryleigh Shaw
Fryleigh cottages. House, now divided. Early 16th and 18th. Timber framed, exposed with whitewashed brick and render infilling. Possible remains of hall house. Listed Grade II

Wellhouse Lane
Keepers Cottage, Late 17th Timber framed with brick infilling, once colour washed, Listed Grade II
Dendy’s Wood

Wonham Lane
Cricket Ground
Wonham Wood Cottage
More Place .15th House. Enlarged in 17th and late 19th. Timber framed, in close stud pattern with render infilling, colour washed brick cladding to left, brick mathematical tiles on rear. Horsham slab roofs and Reigate stone stack. Stone niche in stack with bust of a Bishop,
Stables, now two cottages. Late 17th converted and extended in
20th. Timber framed clad in red brick with some tile hanging. Listed Grade II
Ice house. 18th brick ice house set into an artificial mound and largely hidden under trees Egg shaped brick with domed roof, oak door, brick entrance with grille

Sources
Stidder. Watermills of Surrey.
Pevsner. Surrey
The Penguin Surrey
London Transport Country Walks 79

No comments: