Saturday, 15 January 2011

Thames Tributary – stream - Leigh

Thames Tributary – stream flowing northwards to the Mole
This stream derives from the Beare Green area and flows north


Post to the north Leigh Place

Clayhill Road
St Bartholomew's Church. Built 15th and now listed grade 2*. There were some Victorian alterations including the addition of a stone tower.
Plough Pub. Listed Grade II. 18th with 19th extension. Weatherboard with
whitewashed render and some tile hanging. Part of the group around the Village Green.
Clayhill Farm West Coates Farm The Priest’s House. 15th core, extended in 16th, 19th and 20th. Timber framed with whitewashed brick and Horsham slab roof. The original house
is left of centre with later builds extending outwards. The nucleus of the building is said to be the Priest's house. Listed Grade II
Well head and pump. Concrete platform with 4 posts and a Horsham slab roof with bargeboards. Cast iron octagonal pump with a scrolled handle and a Stone bowl. Installed 1875 by James Wilson who rented a big house locally.
Leigh Hammer forge. This was sited on the stream to the south of Clayhill Farm. No remains but cinders from the forge have been found in the stream. The forge is known to have been in operation in the mid 16th

Smalls Mill Road
Leigh Mill. This is now a private house.  It was once known as Godstone Mill and produced flour and gunpowder.  It was in use in the early 15th and gunpowder produced here in the 17th by the Evelyn family. It reverted to flour and continued in use until 1934. A waterwheel and stones remain on site.

Tapners Road
School - the village school was founded in 1845 and has been on its present site since 1914. As Acorns Primary school it is federated with two schools in neighbouring villages.

Sources
Stidder. The Watermills of Surrey
Pevsner. Surrey
The Penguin Book of  Surrey

No comments: