Sunday, 16 January 2011

Thames Tributary Wallace Brook - Reigate Heath

Thames Tributary Wallace Brook
The Wallace brook flows south towards the Mole


Post to the west Wonham
Post to the east Reigate Park
Post to the south Flanchford


Bonny’s Road
An area once known as Skimmington Down
Reigate Heath Golf Course. The Club was formed in 1895 and has nine holes
Bonny Mineral Water factory. In the 1860s a mineral water factory was built in Bonnys Road. James Bonny had a 300 foot well dug. The factory closed in the 1950s.
Skimmington Castle pub. Listed Grade II. Probably 17th timber framed building faced in stucco with a late 19th public house front. Inside exposed beams and an inglenook with bread oven and salt cupboard. Behind a mound of chalk rubble and brick. It may once have been a farm.
Edwardian post box
Skimmington cottages


Flanchford Road
Heathfield. Heathfield House dates from 1867. The architect was F Marrable, Architect, and it was remodelled for J Arthur Rank by A Mort, in 1939 it was divided into flats in the 1950s. It is listed including garden wall, columns and summer house. J.Arthur Rank, grain miller, founder of the Rank Organisation and pioneer of religious films
Heathfield Farm. 17th locally listed. Once used as a school
Trumpet’s Hill Mill. Smock mill late 18th demolished 1950. For a while worked by the same people as the Wonham watermill.
Trumpets Hill House. designed by David Barry and constructed in 1901, and has a distinctive green roof. This was adjacent to the windmill
Trumpets Hill Copse
Dungate Manor. Now a care home. Built 1899 F.Knight
Stepstile Meadow. 1930s house where considerable Bronze Age and medieval remains have been found in the area

Littleton Lane
This was once called Waterworks Lane
Littleton Manor Farm. 17th House. Modern boarding on the first floor. Small dairy wing.
Littleton

Trumpets Hill Road
June Farm
June Farm Cottage. Listed Grade II
Granary Annexe, June Farm. Listed Grade II

No comments: