Saturday, 5 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Cherkley

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows north west

TQ 17341 54504

Posh area of housing and big houses on the edge of Box Hill and along the Mole

Post to the west Norbury Park
Post to the south Mickleham


Byttom Hill
Estate Cottages

Cherkley Wood
Bronze Age farmstead found nearby. Thatched buildings surrounded by a ditch

Givons Grove
Iron Age pottery found
Wellbottom cottage
Givons Grove house – at one time the home of H.Roe & Marie Stopes. The house has now gone.

Leatherhead Downs
North east is a double ditched trackway flanked by ‘Celtic fields’. There is also a large oval enclosure.
Barrow in the area has been excavated and burial urns found. Probably Bronze or Iron Age.
Radio Bungalow

Mickleham Drive
Sunpatch

Stane Street

Drive to Cherkely Court
Cherkley Court the residence of Lord Beaverbrook from 1907. House c.1870, built for Abraham Dixon, and rebuilt again after a fire. Stuccoed brick. Pavilions and moulding and parapets and urns and balustrades and stuff all over the place. Service block.
Lodge on drive to Cherkley Court. c.1870. Stucco on brick,
Lower Lodge identical to the other Lodge

The Downs
Seven Gables

Sources
British History. Online. Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Surrey County Council. Web site

No comments: