Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Cobham

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole curves north east and then north west

TQ 10671 60296

Central area of this upmarket small town.

Post to the west Painshill
Post to the north Old Common
Post to the south Cobham

Anyards Road
Built in the 1880s on land from Leigh Hill Farm. First development of low cost middle class housing in the area.
Cobham Village Hall. Built by subscription 1888. The Village Hall showed silent films from 1916, on a couple of evenings a week. It stopped in 1929. This building has now gone.
Gospel hall

Between Streets
A very sensible name for the road which joins the two communities of Church Cobham and Street Cobham. Originally seems to have been a lane which crossed Church Field.
Market. A market granted by King Stephen may have been held at the junction with Portsmouth Road –where the road widens. The road from Leatherhead is older than the Portsmouth Road hence the bend in the main road. A market here would have funded a settlement in Church Cobham and also passing traffic. It was closed at the end of the 16th
A plan for a railway was made in 1879 for a line from Kingston with a station on what is now Oakdene Parade.
Clerkenwell Property Marker. A cast iron marker by the entrance to Waitrose has names of church wardens of Clerkenwell in 1862. In 1614 Church Stile House was left to the parish of Clerkenwell
Post Boys Row. Built 1780s for post boys returning horses to coaching inns
27 Sacred Heart. Roman Catholic Church. Built 1957 to designs of Goodhart-Rendell. The church is typical Goodhart-Rendel with classical forms. Simple barrel vaults with aisles exploiting Lutyens ‘disappearing pilaster’ and the American flavour of a white-boarded cupola.

Bridge Way
Sainsbury’s store. Possible site of a Roman farmstead discovered during building a sewage works on this site in 1932.
Cobham Gas Light and Coke Co. Late 1860s.
Sewage works. No filtration here now, the works consists only of pumps which transfer the untreated water to Esher

Cedar Road
This is on the line of an old path which gave access to the mill from Hogshill Lane. It was built in the 1880s on land from Leigh Hill Farm – the first development of low-cost middle class housing in the area.
Schools. Built in 1860 in memory of Harvey Coombe by his sister. School buildings used as an adult centre. Library part of the complex. Since developed.
Ebenezer Strict Baptist Chapel. With a plaque over the door to say that it was founded by William Huntingdon. Opened in 1873 and now owned by Surrey County Council. It is now a kitchen shop
Methodist Chapel. Opened in 1862 by Samuel Wesley Bradnack following a great deal of activity against drink and so on. Demolished in 1966 and the adjacent Sunday School building became the church.

Cobham
Owes its site to its location on The Mole. Until the late 18th it was called ‘Covenham’ – which could mean ‘a settlement hemmed in by water’, or ‘Cofa’ as a personal name - Or it could mean ‘inner chamber’ referring to Cobham Court. In the Dark Ages and later it was a possession of Chertsey Abbey.

Copse Road
Built in the 1880s on land from Leigh Hill Farm. First development of low cost middle class housing in the area.
St.John’s Mission church. 1899 provided by Miss Carrick Moore. Designed by Leonard Martin with Arts & Crafts fittings. Demolished for housing. The church hall remains in use as a family centre.

Court Way
This is an old name for an old path which runs from the High Street along Hollyhedge Road.

Hollyhedge Road
Steam Mill. Built in the 1820s at the rear of the present Barclay’s Bank by Daniel Dallen of Cobham Mill.

Hogshill Lane
Built in the 1880s on land from Leigh Hill Farm. First development of low cost middle class housing in the area.
Tiltwood Care Home

Northfield Road
Council housing on the site of Northfield Farm 1930s.

Old Common
5/ 328 Post Boys and Old Cottage Cottage row. Early 18th Brick
Mount Cottages built by Leonard Martin

Portsmouth Road
El Torito in the White Lion Hotel – latterly The Vermont Exchange. Also called The Exchange and the Cobham Exchange. This is an 18th brick building, originally a 17th coaching inn with a Georgian front. In one of the bedrooms is a fireplace which had an inscription of 1584 and the building it may well be earlier. Here the squire and the vicar gathered their raiding party in 1650 to break up the Diggers at Weybridge. ‘White Lion’ was the badge of Edward VI. 20th extensions at the rear. Timber framed building with brick cladding
Cobham Lodge Hotel
45 Alsford Timber in a brick building once used as a forge.
91-93 Police Station
Coveham this was on the corner of Anyards Road on the site of the Royal Oak which had been erected and named after Charles II. Demolished 1974.
39 Old House late 18th
41 Vine House late 18th
Wyndham Court on the site of the Cobham Brewery from the end of the 18th. Sold to Ashby in 1896 by Mackay and they Owned most of the local pubs. In 1913 it became Cobham United Breweries and closed in 1922. The site was bought by Watney which used it as a store and finally demolished in the 1970s.
Gardening Club on the site of Randall’s Farm. Owned by the Crawter family in the late 18th
168 Health Centre which was the Cottage Hospital. opened in 1905 by the Duchess of Albany

Street Cobham
Berkeley Homes offices. Site of George Hotel. 18th built because the Portsmouth Road as busy. Burnt down and replaced by the Antelope which was demolished.
Sainsbury’s petrol station is the site of Cobham Motor Works which was on the site of the Kings Arms pub and originally called the Cobham Garage.
Savoy Cinema was built opposite Northfield Road in 1937. It also had a stage where occasional live shows were performed, and there was a café. It was taken over by Shipman & King in 1938 and by the Grade Organisation in 1967. It closed in 1970.

World’s End
This could have been part of an early medieval market place, with old houses

Sources
Cinema Treasures. Web site
El Torito. Web site
Industrial Archaeology of Elmbridge
Industrial Archaeology. Elmbridge area
Methodist History. Web site
Taylor. Book of Cobham
Taylor. Cobham. A History

No comments: