Wednesday, 9 February 2011

Thames Tributary River Mole - Fetcham

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows north and west towards the Thames


Post to the north Pachesham
Post to the east Leatherhead


Cannon Grove
Cannon Court Manor House. Divided into flats. This was one of three manors in Fetcham and was pre-reformation was owned by Merton Priory who could have had some sort of religious foundation in the area. The house was at one time a school

Cannon Side
Cannon Court Evangelical Church

Cobham Road
Cast-iron distribution cabinet, probably used for street lighting control, may be seen at the south-east junction of Cobham Road and Lower Road embossed ‘Siemens 1880 London’
Tall cast-iron sewer vent pipe

Common Meadow Sports Field
This is the old common fields of leatherhead and protected from enclosure following a 1849 court award,

Fetcham Pond and nature reserve
This is the pond of the old corn mill.
The Mill Pond springs are a large number of chalk springs, which provide water supply for the surrounding area. These springs even continued to supply water during the droughts of 1976 and 2006.There is an aquifer here – the only one on the Mole. This may at one time have been a holy well
Leatherhead Water Company. Since 1962, after their purchase of the millpond in Fetcham in 1958, the ESWC has been allowed to take up to 3 million gallons a day from ten artesian wells that feed the pond, provided that they keep the mill pond full. This water is pumped to the Elmer works by the electrically operated Fetcham Springs pump house
Nature Reserve - with a wild flower meadow and a hedgerow project
Surrey Society of Model Engineers - A small steam train enthusiast group with tracks and model locomotives some of which can take people.

Lower Road
Tall cast-iron sewer vent pipe

No comments: