Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole continues to flow north and now east
Post to the north Norbury Park
Post to the east Mickleham
Post to the south West Humble
Weir Bridge. The southern entrance to Norbury Park was originally either by a water splash or a footbridge over the Mole. In 1840 a new road bridge, Weir Bridge, was built. Weir Lodge was also built here but demolished when the A24 was upgraded in 1937. It is a three-arched brick bridge with wrought iron railings. It has a centre arch with three keystones and masks at the ends.
Railway crossing. The crossing box was closed in 1971 and demolished but the footpath crossing remains. The provision of this crossing was one of the conditions imposed by Thomas Grissell, as was the painting of the buildings green. The houses for railway staff remain adjacent to the crossing
Lodge Farm. Here the box has been demolished and the crossing is closed even for pedestrians. However the houses built for railway staff remain
Swanworth Farm. Owned by Surrey Wildlife Trust
Cowslip Bank. A large swallett appeared in 1949 after a storm leaving a large hole into which the river water ran and which appeared to be in an old course of the river with broken chalk and flints like the present river bed but 4ft. 6 ins. higher. The flood had opened up an ancient swallow. At the time when the river flowed in this old course the river cliff must have been 80ft. west and the river has shifted its course deepened its bed
Mickleham by- Pass
The road dates from the 1930s wih many of the latest ideas in road construction - dual carriageways, cycle tracks and space for pedestrians. In the 1990s part of the southbound carriageway has been reduced to one lane following accidents on the bends. The section to West Humble Street was completed in 1937 but south of this dates from 1964.
Railway Bridge. A cavity was found under the railway bridge at Norbury Park. The support had been originally placed over it and it had to be filled with many tons of concrete
Box Hill School. Dalewood House, built in 1883, designed by John Norton. The school, of course, is posh and private.
Post Office. 18th block in red brick and grey headers. James Mill lived in a house at the back of the Running Horses Inn – maybe this.