Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole flows north east
Post to the west Mickleham
Post to the north Leatherhead Downs
Edward VII wall letter box by Allen is in the flint wall at the bottom of the hill
King William IV. Rural pub, dates from 1790
Byttom Cottage. Built 1840 in flint with stone dressings. Casement windows with cast iron octagonal panes
Almshouses. Built 1864 in flint with stone dressings. There is a central wing with extensions on either side. There are tall chimney stacks in clusters of 3 on either side of this central wing.
1-6 Elm Cottages. Early 19th Terrace
Burmester House. 18th house with later additions. . Faced with flints with red brick dressings,
This is part of an old Roman road, Stane Street which runs between Chichester and the Thames and which cuts straight across the older settlements and field systems on the Downs.
Bronze Age and later field systems on the downs and around trackways
Forge. The old blacksmith's shop became the 'Highway Cafe', now known as Frascati's
St.Michael. Norman church but much removed by 19th restoration some Saxon remains in the tower. The slightly offset chancel is given as an example of a 'weeping chancel' - to represent the leaning head of Christ on the Cross. The dedication to St.Michael, who killed the beast in the Book of Revelation – may have been given as a protective dedication by herdsmen who would have first used the church. There is a possible leper’s squint. In the 15th porch are two 14th coffin slabs, one with traces of an inscription in Lombardic characters. The 16th Norbury chapel has panelling from St Paul's School, London, said to have been saved from the Great Fire of 1666 in it is the table tomb and brasses of William Wyddowson and his wife from 1514. Two famous novelists were married in the church - Fanny Burney in 1793 and George Meredith in 1864.
Churchyard: There are some wooden tombstones. Grave of Viscount Bennett (1870- 1947), Prime Minister of Canada in 1930-5. Grave of Graham Gilmour, who was flying a Brooklands-built Martinsyde plane when he was killed in 1912. While flying over the Old Deer Park, Richmond, the wing failed and crashed killing him instantly. The grave stone pictures his plane. Locally he was said to be a reckless young man fond of loud and fast motor bikes.
Lych gate. Late 19th in rubble with a wooden superstructure and gates. There is carved woodwork and inside the gables are plaster cherubs.
Burmester Gate. Folly Gateway and gates 1870. Made of wood with poles, wattles, cast iron ornamentation, studs and a tiled roof. It was on the path between the Old Rectory and St Michael's Church and is a garden folly as well as a gateway.
Running Horses pub, where horses were often stabled during Epsom week. The pub may have been built in the 16th and brickwork in the cellar may connect it to Mickleham Manor. It belonged originally to Thomas Stydolf who died in 1546. When the road became a turnpike The Running Horses became a coaching inn and post house. It was once called The Chequers but was renamed in 1825 when two horses, Colonel and Cadland reached the post together at the ‘Dead Heat Derby’. Colonel and Cadland, are shown on each side of the inn sign, and inside two bars are named after them. Cadland was stabled here and won the re-run.
Forge. An old forge at the northern end of the village became 'The Old Forge Tea Room and Cafe' in the 1930s and operated until the 1950s when it was demolished.
Mickleham Hall. L-shaped house converted to flats. 18th front on a timber-framed building.
Mickleham Cottage. Early 19th with various additions. The Door had pillars and a glass passageway. Fanny Burney's sister Mrs Phillips lived here and Fanny stayed here and was married from here in July 1793. The entrance gate is sandstone with an arch with a hood and the garden wall is 18th and maybe once belonged to the Old House.
Mickleham Lodge. Early 19th house.
Rose Cottage. Early 19th house with a verandah with trellis
columns and a canopy
The Old Cottage, 1725, but may be older. Plastered front.
The Old House. 1636. The original part of the house is H shaped in front and E shaped behind in impressive artisan red brickwork.
Constable's garden. A pit, half a mile away from the present river and 60ft. higher, caved in swallowing a big tree in February 1947 – in the garden of a local policeman.. Its site remained discernible for some time although filled with rubbish.
St Michael's C of E (Aided) Infant School