Thursday, 10 February 2011

Thames Tributary The Rye - Ashstead Park

Thames Tributary The Rye
The Rye rises in this area and flows south towards the River Mole


Upmarket area with posh houses in country lanes around Ashtead Park. Lots of open space. Modest 1950s estate to the north west.
Ashstead Park
Ashstead Park. Fine trees, mentioned by Evelyn. The house is in the southern part of the park and is now a school. The Park was set up before 1640 and walled after 1680 by Sir Robert Howard. At the same time ponds were excavated, and a Mount built. The park was enlarged again in the late 18th and deer were kept. In the 1920s the estate was broken up ad sold in lots. The wilder northern part of the park is now managed by Surrey Wildlife Trust.
The Mount. This is now a posh housing area in Rookery Hill, but the original artificial hill survives to the north
Island Pond Wildlife Pond. 2 ½ acre pond neglected for 50 years and now upgraded by a local angling club. Silt removed, along with fallen trees and branches, banks which were leaking repaired and fishing platforms installed.
The Cottage in the Park, brick house with late19th extension.

Epsom Road
North Lodge - wrought iron gates to Ashtead Park. Dated 1882

Farm Lane
The Rye stream runs to the east and parallel with Farm Lane. Park Farm House. Burnt down pre 1730 and rebuilt in red handmade brick. There is a large modern conservatory and a single-storey dairy now part of the house. Garden wall with gate piers with pineapple finials, and wrought-iron gate
Wrought iron gates still stand at the entrance drives to Ashtead Park. The earlier ones at each end of Rookery Hill date from about 1800.
Sewer vent pipe, cast iron
City of London Coal Duties Post. Beside a footpath between Headley Road and Farm Lane.
Ashstead House. Large house, but not the really big Ashstead House in the park. This is now divided into three. Early 18th with a nucleus of 17th or earlier. Built of Handmade red brick. large 19th flat-roofed addition said to have been a ballroom. Former service wing.
Lodge to Ashstead Park.
The Pines, this house was at one time a garden centre attached to the farm
An icehouse. 18th century with a stepped entrance and a 10ft diameter dome. This was in the grounds of Ashtead House close to a large pond, into which it drained.
Pond – which is presumably the source of the Rye
Headley Road
Chalk Pit
City of London Coal Duties Post. West of the road beside the footpath by the stables

Park Lane
Entrance gates to Ashtead Park. These earlier ones date from about 1800.

Pleasure Pit Road
City of London Coal Duties Post. On the east side of Pleasure Pit Road just before its junction with Headley Road.
Ashstead Park Garden Centre
Rookery Hill
Road Bridge. This bridge carries Rookery Hill through Ashtead Park. It dates from c1880 and is made of Portland stone with cast iron beams and brackets. Underneath is an electricity distribution substation.

Sources
Coal posts. Web site
Hazelfoot. Industrial Archaeology of South East England
London Transport Country walks 2,
Penguin surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Surrey. History

 

No comments: